Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

I finally turned off “lane assist” on my Golf R ...

Or as I like to joke around, text assist.

Seriously it’s an interesting feature but fights me changing lanes unless I specifically use my turn signals. I know ....

Also, it thinks heavy tar strips can be lanes and tries to follow them, wrestling the wheel from me. Can be scary at times.

I turned it off and now I’m much happier. Finer steering adjustments are not met with resistance.

Technology, gotta love it.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: I finally turned off “lane assist” on my Golf R ...

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Or as I like to joke around, text assist.

Seriously it’s an interesting feature but fights me changing lanes unless I specifically use my turn signals. I know ....

Also, it thinks heavy tar strips can be lanes and tries to follow them, wrestling the wheel from me. Can be scary at times.

I turned it off and now I’m much happier. Finer steering adjustments are not met with resistance.

Technology, gotta love it.
    I was on a trip in the Canadian Rockies last year and I got a rental car with steering assist and no override. They were doing road construction and the lines went all over the place. The steering assist nearly caused me to run over a construction worker. I’ll never accept a rental car again where I can’t override this feature.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Someone really makes a car with lane assist you can't override? That's just plane stupid considering as you found out, it is useless and dangerous feature. What car was it?
    Dan Santoni

Authorized service for (in no particular order) - Copland, Cary, Unison Research, Allnic, Modwright, Ayon, Hegel, Belles, Aesthetix, Coincident, Zesto and a whole bunch more

Custom Manufacturer of Blackdog HiFi.

www.dtsaudioelectronics.com
    www.blackdoghifi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    I was on a trip in the Canadian Rockies last year and I got a rental car with steering assist and no override. They were doing road construction and the lines went all over the place. The steering assist nearly caused me to run over a construction worker. I’ll never accept a rental car again where I can’t override this feature.

Ken
    all well and good Ken but unless you tell us which car the post is useless .........
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Super Moderator

I can only imagine fully self driving cars, ugh!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I can’t say I don’t like it, and also agree with the comments - it’s one of things that will get better with time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

It can be really great features on long hi way drive. Yes i can understand it can be hassle on local drive
    Paul

In my bimmer the steering wheel just rumbles a bit if you are crossing lanes, to alert the driver if it was not intentional. And it can be turned off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

My Santa Fe allows you to set it to Warning without the forced correction and the lane assist is only if you are going over 30+ mph.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Bought an Audi S5. Returned the car the next week because of this. The roads in Seattle area are terrible with undulations and may seams and repairs. You want to position the car precisely to avoid road irregularities. It was constantly fighting me and then would feel dead to inputs. Many times would take me out of my lane or nearly off the road. Exhausting. I prefer to drive the car - thank you very much. I think these types of “features” only encourage inattentive driving. And they will be a contributing factor to accidents that will be recorded as “distracted driving”.
    Caelin Gabriel
    President
    Shunyata Research

http://shunyata.com

Quote Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
    Bought an Audi S5. Returned the car the next week because of this. The roads in Seattle area are terrible with undulations and may seams and repairs. You want to position the car precisely to avoid road irregularities. It was constantly fighting me and then would feel dead to inputs. Many times would take me out of my lane or nearly off the road. Exhausting. I prefer to drive the car - thank you very much. I think these types of “features” only encourage inattentive driving. And they will be a contributing factor to accidents that will be recorded as “distracted driving”.
    I agree.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    In my bimmer the steering wheel just rumbles a bit if you are crossing lanes, to alert the driver if it was not intentional. And it can be turned off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same here, other brand, but just as subtle.
    I love the feature.
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

Quote Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
    Someone really makes a car with lane assist you can't override? That's just plane stupid considering as you found out, it is useless and dangerous feature. What car was it?
    It was a Toyota Corolla. I tried every combination of buttons, switches and levers to turn it off over a two week period to no avail.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Super Moderator

I could see for long highway drives it would be a benefit. I think I have to dig through several menus to turn it on or off. That’s not appealing to me. Maybe if we had a handful of programmable buttons for quick access to often desired features, that would be great.

NAD C 658 streamer.

My Tahoe LTZ has lane departure warning that signals me with a strong vibration in the seat. If I cross the center line without my blinker on, the left side of the seat bottom vibrates. If I cross the shoulder line or right lane line without my blinker on, the right side of the seat bottom vibrates. If I am approaching a vehicle ahead of me without breaking fast enough both sides of the seat bottom vibrates and a bright red heads-up display flashes on the windshield. I can change the vibration signals in the seat bottom to an audible alarm but I prefer the vibration signals. The seat also vibrates a warning for cross traffic alarm when backing up. None of these warnings are as intrusive as the steering being overridden by the computer. I could not tolerate that.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

I agree with others here that these types of useless features only encourage more stupidity behind the wheel while driving. Americans can't go too long these days without the massive "need" to text. This is also probably the mass reduction of manual transmissions these days as well. We all know you can't steer, shift, flip a turn signal and text all at the same time. Texting always comes first and foremost while driving. Instead of cracking down on texting and driving, car manufacturers are implementing useless technology to make it easier for fools to text and drive.

Sorry for the bitter rant... I've just had way too many close calls because of these idiots on the roads as well as my family members, and nothing seems to improve with time. In fact, of anything, texting and driving is getting worse.

If car manufactures want to try and help with this issue, they should implement a feature that jams the phone from operating while the car is in motion, and make it a non-defeatable feature no matter what someone attempts to do to it. We've got along perfectly fine for many many years without phones in cars. No need for them now.
    Pass Labs XP-20 | Auralic Altair G1 | Odyssey Audio Stratos Monoblocks | JVC XL-Z411 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

Super Moderator

Even though my car has a great navigation system, I still prefer my cell phone to guide me. As much as I despise Google’s tactics, I love their map/GPS system. I finally get it on my Apple Car Play. Some technology can be awesome, a lot misused, and some dangerous. Some people take way too many chances. After watching lots of YouTube videos of drivers and their stupidity, I’m more careful and curtail my stupidity.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by chops View Post
    If car manufactures want to try and help with this issue, they should implement a feature that jams the phone from operating while the car is in motion, and make it a non-defeatable feature no matter what someone attempts to do to it. We've got along perfectly fine for many many years without phones in cars. No need for them now.
    Charles.......I am with you on the texting while driving issue. It has become epidemic. It is one of the reasons I run front an rear cameras on my Tahoe. I may need that evidence one day. As for jamming cellular phone service while a vehicle is operating, I think that is a bit extreme. Most newer vehicles offer wireless Bluetooth connection to a smartphone that allows voice activate hands free calling. Making and receiving calls in this manner is not a road hazard since it does not require a driver to remove their hands from the steering wheel or their eyes from the road. My solution would be for cellular manufacturers to implement blocking of text and notifications while the vehicle is in motion. This could easily be built into a cellphone's hardware and operating system using the GPS signal. If GPS senses the phone in motion at a speed that exceeds perhaps 4 mph then texting and notifications are immediately disabled until such time as the GPS senses the vehicle speed has returned to 0 mph. This would end all texting while a vehicle is in motion. It wouldn't stop idiots who text at a red light and fail to go when the light turns green, but it would immediately end the text session without warning once they were rolling.

Like you said, something needs to be done to end texting and driving. People who do it know they shouldn't text and drive but do it anyway. These fools are a huge safety hazard to everyone in their path, not to mention themselves.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Unit lI saw this thread I din't know there were active lane "assist" devices. Not sure I would want that. I have had passive devices on a few of our vehicles where they would either shake the steering wheel, the drivers seat or a warning sound if you started to cross lines. My wife leaves hers on, mine is off.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Super Moderator

My lans assist was a little too intrusive. It would fight me, especially on dark tar strips. There’s on merge that I take every day going to work that’s particularly onerous. Unless I had a firm grip on the wheel, it would extremely aggressively steer thinking the tar strips were the lanes. It almost steered me into the curb. I was a little freaked until I realized what it was trying to do. Absolutely 100% repeatable. I got tired trying to memorize all the road markings where I need to be super careful of what the car wanted to do.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

"Lame assist", is that like bi-wiring?
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    Charles.......I am with you on the texting while driving issue. It has become epidemic. It is one of the reasons I run front an rear cameras on my Tahoe. I may need that evidence one day. As for jamming cellular phone service while a vehicle is operating, I think that is a bit extreme. Most newer vehicles offer wireless Bluetooth connection to a smartphone that allows voice activate hands free calling. Making and receiving calls in this manner is not a road hazard since it does not require a driver to remove their hands from the steering wheel or their eyes from the road. My solution would be for cellular manufacturers to implement blocking of text and notifications while the vehicle is in motion. This could easily be built into a cellphone's hardware and operating system using the GPS signal. If GPS senses the phone in motion at a speed that exceeds perhaps 4 mph then texting and notifications are immediately disabled until such time as the GPS senses the vehicle speed has returned to 0 mph. This would end all texting while a vehicle is in motion. It wouldn't stop idiots who text at a red light and fail to go when the light turns green, but it would immediately end the text session without warning once they were rolling.

Like you said, something needs to be done to end texting and driving. People who do it know they shouldn't text and drive but do it anyway. These fools are a huge safety hazard to everyone in their path, not to mention themselves.

Dan, in my car, I have speech technology.
    if I say: "Darling, I'll be home at 7 pm", it sends the message without me losing my attention.

Very true, and a viable, smarter solution. I just let my frustration get the best of me sometimes with certain issues... This being one of them.
    Pass Labs XP-20 | Auralic Altair G1 | Odyssey Audio Stratos Monoblocks | JVC XL-Z411 | Nakamichi DR-1 | Technics SL-1700MK2 | Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    if I say: "Darling, I'll be home at 7 pm", it sends the message without me losing my attention.
    That's what all people should have for the safest feature.
    If I would design an electric car I would equipped it with voice assist as much as I can, to not relate on a screen. The eyes go on the road.
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    Bart.......That is excellent. If she responds is the message read aloud to you?
    Dan

Bart.......That is excellent. If she responds is the message read aloud to you?

Indeed Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by chops View Post
    Very true, and a viable, smarter solution. I just let my frustration get the best of me sometimes with certain issues... This being one of them.
    hell, jam away ! I 'd prefer to have a .50 cal mounted on a turret ! ........... Ok, so I'm being a bit sarcastic but I absolutely detest texting drivers
    Cheers ! …. Dave

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team