Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Audioshark

Re: My Avantgarde Duo XD - simply incredible....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Keep in mind Joe when comparing bass of Duo vs 4367, one is passive and the other powered. The passive would be subject to the amp used.

I have to say your enthusiasm is enough to make us all lust for AG, LOL It would be cool to have four 12's in my room and if the compression driver is better, so much the more.

What does the DSP do, is there a microphone or some way the speaker compensates for the room?
    The EQ allows for selecting the curve, setting the crossover and adjusting everything below 150hz (in the case of Duo). It allows you to set up to 40 or 50 different presets if you want (I only use one). You can adjust over all bass level. It’s very powerful and dial the speakers into the room. I play pink noise and use my own microphone and software to determine measurements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

I’m not that sophisticated regarding DSP. I’ll eventually get Mike here to tweak me but I have a little work to do before he even attempts to get here.

The fact that the bass is active, powerful and super tight is almost enough to go Duo. Having sweet Alnico drivers and an almost infinite soundstage size is a gigantic plus for me. I’m hooked.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Once you get used to with horn sound you just can’t hear the cone and dome speakers anymore they all sound compressed. That box sound is so noticeable. Well... it’s too late now ...
    This.

Precisely this. Couldn’t agree more.

Janas binaural vid featuring Duo Primos

Super Moderator

Pretty amazing setup. I’d absolutely love to hear the Coincident 300B amps. Supposed to be wonderful. The video proves that.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

My Avantgarde Duo XD - simply incredible....

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Pretty amazing setup. I’d absolutely love to hear the Coincident 300B amps. Supposed to be wonderful. The video proves that.
    Joe.....stop it My Avantgarde Duo XD - simply incredible....
    Paul

Wow, based on the video that sounds like a great way to go. Such a lifelike but relaxed sound. Very hard to get both transparency and ease.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Joe

The little Dynamo SE Mk II would be worth taking for a spin with the Duo's at only $1499.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Joe

The little Dynamo SE Mk II would be worth taking for a spin with the Duo's at only $1499.
    That could me fun too. Not expensive at all too.

I think the Frankenstein 300B is in the process of an upgrade to make it better. OMG.
    Last edited by joeinid; November 7, 2018 at 02:56 AM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

That could me fun too. Not expensive at all too.

I think the Frankenstein 300B is in the process of an upgrade to make it better. OMG.
    When are you getting them?
    Paul

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    When are you getting them?
    As soon as my third mortgage comes through.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hi Joe,

Happy to see you are getting such enjoyment out of your new speakers. I haven’t seen you gush over an audio component this much since.....well, never!

Enjoy,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Super Moderator

Thank you Ken.

These really are a game changer for me. So enveloping and they give me that "you are there" feeling. Sweet SET, for me, is EXACTLY what I am looking for in sound. These are so efficient and effortless that it's addicting.

Sitting there and/or reclining in the dark with a favorite artist is almost a religious experience now. I just wish my room was a little bigger but I can tweak what I have for an even better experience. I just love it.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I went by Mikes the other day and did some serious listening to his Avantgarde Duos. Wow they are nice! And him being the consummate salesman he even let me play with bell samples and let me pick out my favorite combination: light amber bronze. And pointed out that the Uno Finos would work in my small listening space on the outside chance I might want a pair.
    What a great guy huh! The Duos are spectacular sounding and the staging was as good as I have heard. Well in my young days I was somewhat of a horn dog.............humm
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Thank you Ken.

These really are a game changer for me. So enveloping and they give me that "you are there" feeling. Sweet SET, for me, is EXACTLY what I am looking for in sound. These are so efficient and effortless that it's addicting.

Sitting there and/or reclining in the dark with a favorite artist is almost a religious experience now. I just wish my room was a little bigger but I can tweak what I have for an even better experience. I just love it.
    Hmmmm this AG makes your really Horny Eh !
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Dguitarnut View Post
    I went by Mikes the other day and did some serious listening to his Avantgarde Duos. Wow they are nice! And him being the consummate salesman he even let me play with bell samples and let me pick out my favorite combination: light amber bronze. And pointed out that the Uno Finos would work in my small listening space on the outside chance I might want a pair.
    What a great guy huh! The Duos are spectacular sounding and the staging was as good as I have heard. Well in my young days I was somewhat of a horn dog.............humm
    Congrats Larry on Uno Fino !
    Paul

Lol........not yet......staying clear on the other side of the Sunshine Skyway bridge..........must resist!
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

You would also need to swap out the Diablo 300 for the new Viva integrated. You know you want to.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Audioshark

Lol........not yet......staying clear on the other side of the Sunshine Skyway bridge..........must resist!

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

You would also need to swap out the Diablo 300 for the new Viva integrated. You know you want to.
    Jack is da man ! Haha

Paul

Paul

Super Moderator

I bet that Viva 300b integrated is wonderful.

NAD C 658 streamer.

At the very least it is great to look at. I wonder how Vinnie's hybrid LIO integrated would do with the AG's? If you stayed away from the DHT preamp version the preamp tubes should last thousands of hours.

Super Moderator

After hearing Vinnie’s gear on Voltis a few years ago, I’m sure it would be superb on my Duo. That’s one demo I hope to make happen.

NAD C 658 streamer.

After hearing a LIO, not sure if it would be sweet enough for the AG's.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

Joe, see if you can get your hands on the new First Watt SIT-3 amp, if there are any left.
    Probably work better than your XA-25 on the AG.

I use the Franks and SIT-3 on my Hornings and both are excellent.
    The SIT-3 is really a great sounding amp. It has beautiful rich tone somewhat like my SET amp but has the control of SS.
    Joe

Main: Jay's Audio CDT2mk.2 transport & Audio Mirror tubadour III SE DAC, Lyra Kleos SL Cartridge, VPI Classic III with 3D tone arm, K&K Audio premium maxxed-out phonostage, Supratek Sauvignon (highly modded) Tube preamp, Coincident Speaker Tech 300b Frankenstein mk.2 mono blocks, First Watt SIT-3 amp, Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers, PurePower 1500+,PI Audio DigiBuss

any better pictures now joe?
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jadedavid View Post
    After hearing a LIO, not sure if it would be sweet enough for the AG's.
    Interesting, my recollection on the Volti was great but that could be the speakers to a large part. My Luxman MQ300 will probably be center stage for a while but I am looking at a few other amps. My first priority is a better or matching preamp. While I love my LTA MZ2, I cannot help but wonder what a different preamp will bring to the equation.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jbtrio View Post
    Joe, see if you can get your hands on the new First Watt SIT-3 amp, if there are any left.
    Probably work better than your XA-25 on the AG.

I use the Franks and SIT-3 on my Hornings and both are excellent.
    The SIT-3 is really a great sounding amp. It has beautiful rich tone somewhat like my SET amp but has the control of SS.
    I have the SIT-3 on order but no time frame for delivery. I’m looking forward to hearing it.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    any better pictures now joe?
    Sorry. Not yet Keith, hopefully soon. I’m still doing a lot of experimenting and am procrastinating on the new rack.

NAD C 658 streamer.

That’s good because they are only making 250 units. Hopefully you get one! Nelson Pass said that they work best with 4 to 8 ohm speakers. I think your Duo are 18ohm. You might shoot Nelson a email to ask him.

The Audiophiliac tried them with Zu speakers 16 ohm and they didn’t gel. I think Nelson told him to try a 16ohm 10 watt resistor across the speaker terminals and they sounded much better, FYI

You can check it out on YouTube The Audiofiliac (Steve Gutenberg) He was highly impressed with the amp.
    Joe

Main: Jay's Audio CDT2mk.2 transport & Audio Mirror tubadour III SE DAC, Lyra Kleos SL Cartridge, VPI Classic III with 3D tone arm, K&K Audio premium maxxed-out phonostage, Supratek Sauvignon (highly modded) Tube preamp, Coincident Speaker Tech 300b Frankenstein mk.2 mono blocks, First Watt SIT-3 amp, Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers, PurePower 1500+,PI Audio DigiBuss

Super Moderator

Thank you for the additional information. I assumed lower power output for my Duo, but wasn’t thinking about reduced sound quality. I’ll ask.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hi Joe
    Congrats with your AG Duo speakers.... looks awesome in the orange color
    ATB
    Michael Gravlund

Bricasti M12, Bricasti M15, Franco Serblin Ktema , Nuuk i7 with ROCK, Sotm SGD10 Switch, Dyrholm Cables Zodiac, Audioquest Vodka Ethernet , Tellerium Black Diamant Ethernet , Quadraspire X Reference, PS Audio P10. HOFA Acoustic , Vicoustic

Super Moderator

Thank you so much Michael.

I absolutely love these speakers and with low power amps, they are divine. Totally immersive sound that I still can not believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravlund View Post
    Hi Joe
    Congrats with your AG Duo speakers.... looks awesome in the orange color

NAD C 658 streamer.

Great. I have heard them and the Unos and prefer the sound of the Duos. But I am not sure if my room is too small for the Duos (16x22”).
    Have a great time with the Duos . Enjoy
    ATB
    Michael Gravlund

Bricasti M12, Bricasti M15, Franco Serblin Ktema , Nuuk i7 with ROCK, Sotm SGD10 Switch, Dyrholm Cables Zodiac, Audioquest Vodka Ethernet , Tellerium Black Diamant Ethernet , Quadraspire X Reference, PS Audio P10. HOFA Acoustic , Vicoustic

Audioshark

Great. I have heard them and the Unos and prefer the sound of the Duos. But I am not sure if my room is too small for the Duos (16x22”).
    16 x 22 will be fine. My Duo Mezzo’s are in 14 wide x 22 ish room.

Way more than enough for DUOs.
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team