Hegel 590 - Page 3
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Hegel 590

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hegel 590

I assume the 590 is better overall than the 360 but is the character the same Hegel house sound, or, is there some actual departure??

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    No.
    Mark Levinson #512 & 532h, Pass Labs XP10, Hegel HD30, JBL 4367's
    Coda CSX. Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro, AcousTech PH-1P
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I assume the 590 is better overall than the 360 but is the character the same Hegel house sound, or, is there some actual departure??
    Yes, same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, ClearAudio Turntables & Accessories, Constellation Audio, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, Kimber Kable, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, KR Audio Tube & Amps, Kronos, Lampizator, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MicroMega, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, Siltech, Solid Tech Racks, Sony, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, Tannoy Loudspeakers, Transfiguration Cartridges, Trenner & Friedl, Triode Corporation of Japan, VAC, Verity Audio Speakers, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

3. Thanks Mr Peabody thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The h360 really made the mids in my salon1's come alive compared to the parasound a21 and several other amps that I couldn't tell apart from each other. I would probably be smarter buying an h20 to bi amp my speakers since sometimes it really is power that brings out the most in speakers.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, my local Hegel dealer carries Revel, that is his favorite combo as well. He sold the Salon2's and is using the new 228b for now. Before that he used the Salon2's and really liked the synergy there.

Just my opinion, I personally liked the Performa 2 series better than the 3, the Ultima is more like the 2. The 3 series to me has a more full or less controlled bass that I believe benefits from the Hegel.

Quote Originally Posted by steve59 View Post
    The h360 really made the mids in my salon1's come alive compared to the parasound a21 and several other amps that I couldn't tell apart from each other. I would probably be smarter buying an h20 to bi amp my speakers since sometimes it really is power that brings out the most in speakers.
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a PAIR OF F52'S after demoing the f208 and them side by side even though i conceded the f208 was more open and the drivers better integrated i still preferred the f 52 and if I owned the hegel at that time I probably would have been set. The salon2's are overkill for my room and income.
    Revel salon2's black, Vienna Acoustics Strauss, VA Beethivens, Kef R107/2, Hegel h360, rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard the 590 today. It was driving Revel 228b where a 360 had been. In my opinion the 590 is a departure and pretty big improvement over the 360.

Where is it a departure, larger sound stage, the high end is more in the mix where it should be, most older Hegel models seem to have the cymbals pulled back a bit. man does the 590 have some clout in the bass, it's not intrusive but it hits hard, sound stage is more open and airy. Don't go thinking the 590 went all warm & fuzzy, it's not, however, I found it to be better tonally balanced with somehow smoother mids & highs. I say "somehow" because the highs are more prominent than in older models yet easier to listen to.

I brought my DAC the HD30, I compared it to the built-in DAC of the Levinson 526 and the 590. Really the main differences between the 590 DAC and HD30, the HD30 is old school Hegel with a bit more condensed sound stage and highs were more back in the mix, the 590 DAC even had better bass control.

I know the 590 isn't a budget unit but it is a bargain at the price, considering the DAC, IMO, edges out my HD30 which retailed at nearly half the 590 cost, and, the amp section is a monster. I was impressed.

Maybe not exactly relevant to this thread, I also heard and know there's a difference in renders. During this listening session we tried a couple of streamers feeding the same external DAC and one was clearly better sounding.
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

8. Thanks Everest Audio, Dizzie thanked for this post
    Likes Everest Audio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rance

Synology DS411+II, Audioquest Diamond Ethernet, Lumin S1, ARC REF 6 preamp, ARC REFERENCE 160M amps, JBL 4367/Isoacoustics Gaia I, SVS PC-4000 subs x 2, Shunyata 6000T, Luminous Audio Technology cabling and power, Solid Tech racks, Vicoustics room treatments, ASC Iso-wall/Iso-ceiling construction

10. Likes Mr Peabody, Mike liked this post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3