Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

New KEF R series

Not much KEF talk on here except Randy. Anyone considering or have looked at the new R series coming out? I am going to give the R11 a try in walnut.
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Re: New KEF R series

From what I've read they are a major advancement over the previous version of the R series, with over 1000 changes in production. Apparently the Uni-Q driver in the previous version was quite an old design and this brings it more in line with their Reference series. Of course the Reference series is still claimed to perform at an even higher level as you'd expect given the price differential. As far as finishes they're available in gloss black or white which are supposed to be exceptional in quality, as well as the walnut. I've read some user comments on the walnut which were less than favorable, saying that the color surrounding the drivers are almost pink in color. So if you're interested in the walnut finish I'd definitely suggest checking it out in person before ordering it. They do seem to offer an exceptional value if their sonics are up to expectations, with the TOTL R11 retailing for $5K per pair.

Thanks Bill, I like the different and unsusual so if they come and they are pink so be it. Now if they sound terrible I will put them up for sell as being mauve.
    Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    Thanks Bill, I like the different and unsusual so if they come and they are pink so be it. Now if they sound terrible I will put them up for sell as being mauve.
    Marty - Sounds like a good fallback marketing strategy! I just got back from hearing the new R11s at a Magnolia Design Center (standard Magnolias near me didn't have KEFs.) They had them in gloss black so I can't comment on the walnut finish, and I thought they sounded pretty good. I have to qualify any impressions by the fact that they were driving them through their matrix switcher being powered by a Rotel receiver, so the electronics were not at the level of what I'm accustomed to. Imaging was very stable and consistent as you'd expect with the Uni-Q driver, and from what I could tell the bit of sibilance or grain in the treble that I was sensitive to in the previous incarnation seems to have been eliminated given good source material. The cabinets are very well braced and non-resonant which is surprising given their pricing. Looks to be a very good value if their sonics are to your liking... please let us know your thoughts once you get them. Enjoy them in the best of health!

Bill you must have a well stocked Magnolia near you since I think the R11 were just released to stores. My dealer said it may be mid November before they ship out the walnut versions. Looking forward to going pink in my listening space.
    Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Looks interesting.... I am very happy with my R700s and R400b. The R7 look to be very similar, maybe an updated version to my R700.

I know that KEF representatives have came to refer to the R series as the baby references. I know my R700's were of the exact design as the Reference 3's is size and configuration (a friend has a pair of the Ref 3's). The Ref 3's are certainly more refined but as a huge price difference.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Looks interesting.... I am very happy with my R700s and R400b. The R7 look to be very similar, maybe an updated version to my R700.

I know that KEF representatives have came to refer to the R series as the baby references. I know my R700's were of the exact design as the Reference 3's is size and configuration (a friend has a pair of the Ref 3's). The Ref 3's are certainly more refined but as a huge price difference.
    Correct Randy, the new R7 is the evolutionary speaker replacing the R700 in the lineup. There are over 1000 improvements incorporated in production of the new design which is a clear step forward, incorporating many of the refinements to the Uni-Q driver which were already in the Reference models. Of course there are also cabinet and crossover improvements and they were able to make all these improvements and only raise the R7's retail price by $100 each ($1,900).

Here's a nice overview of the changes incorporated in the new KEF R Series speakers from StereoLife.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing the link. It also appears that they have not replaced the R Series subwoofer, keeping the R400b as the R Series sub. I am very satisfied with my R700s, so I can only imagine how the new models perform.

The R series is fantastic in that it allows for getting very close to the Reference series performance at a price range that working people (such as me) can afford!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

New KEF R series