Emm da2 dac - Page 6
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Emm da2 dac

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Emm da2 dac

Quote Originally Posted by imprezap2 View Post
    At my dealer we compared some Ansuz cables on the different inputs of the DA2, SPDIF and AES are both very good, USB a bit less but that might have to do with the output of his Aurender N10 (AES and SPDIF use a special word clock in the Aurender, USB output does not)

But the best sound is with the dedicated EMMLabs transport with the EMM optilink
    That's too bad for the vast majority of users of the DA2 as only 50 TX2 transports were produced thanks to Esoteric refusing to continue to sell the VOSP transports to third parties. But then again, it doubles the cost of the setup and most people seem enamored with servers and the like so I doubt many would purchase the transport even if available.

USB has always been a garbage standard for audio. It's not surprising that it would take more effort to wring performance out of it. As such, I would be interested to know if the USB input is in fact worse performing than AES/EBU and SPDIF versus USB simply requiring more effort to overcome its lack of suitability for the purpose for which it is being used.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bar81, I read somewhere that you recommended Aural Symphonics's optical cable and I bought one for use between the EMM transport and DA2. Thanks very much for a great recommendation!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Joe

Valvet E2, Avantgarde Duo XD, MC275VI, MC452, MC303, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300,
    Pass XA25, Job INTegrated, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2,
    McIntosh MCLK12

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Tsui View Post
    Hi Bar81, I read somewhere that you recommended Aural Symphonics's optical cable and I bought one for use between the EMM transport and DA2. Thanks very much for a great recommendation!
    Hi Tony, May I know what differences did you hear and how much? Is it currently available? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Andy, great SQ improvement in almost all areas. If there's no dealer in Singapore you can email Aural Symphonics direct, and price is around US$1,700. A friend of mine is in the optical business and has instruments to test and view optical cables. Apparently not all optical cables are created equal : for example the shape of the contact point which is very important and any scratch will permanently damage the cable. He tested 3 optical cables : the Aural Symphonics, a Jadis and the EMM cable. Technically the best was the Aural Symphonics. Do not buy used, as you don't know if cable has scratches etc

6. Likes Kuoppis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Andy, great SQ improvement in almost all areas. If there's no dealer in Singapore you can email Aural Symphonics direct, and price is around US$1,700. A friend of mine is in the optical business and has instruments to test and view optical cables. Apparently not all optical cables are created equal : for example the shape of the contact point which is very important and any scratch will permanently damage the cable. He tested 3 optical cables : the Aural Symphonics, a Jadis and the EMM cable. Technically the best was the Aural Symphonics. Do not buy used, as you don't know if cable has scratches etc
    Thanks Tony for the valuable tip!

Post Thanks / Like

My pleasure. It's a nice upgrade to the combo for a "reasonable" price.

Whenever you decide to tweak your system again, consider this:

Computer Audio Design GC1 Ground Control
    https://www.computeraudiodesign.com/gc1-ground-control/
    http://www.computeraudiodesign.com/C...nd_Control.pdf

Not sure I really understand the necessity for a grounding device given that I have a star grounded power setup, but I purchased one recently, connected it to the AES/EBU digital output of the TX2 and an unused SPDIF digital input (PDAI) of the DA2 and my mind was blown. I always thought the guys going on about treating signal ground and AC earth were a little bit crazy but I'm a convert.
    EMM Labs TX2|DA2 | Ayre KX-R Twenty | D'Agostino Momentum M400 | Focal Maestro Utopia III | MIT Oracle MA | VH Audio Airsine | Shunyata King Cobra CX | Shunyata Denali 6000/T | Harmonic Resolution Systems | CAD Ground Control

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6