Mezzo XD presentation of orchestral music - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mezzo XD presentation of orchestral music

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Thanks for the pics. Great looking room.

I would suggest toed in bit more ( tweeter pointing to your ears ) mine I don’t see the inner side speakers.

How is your Dsp settings look alike ?
    Thanks Paul. I'll give it a try. I've been using preset "11 -- full bass (+3 db) with rich sound (+30 Hz)".
    If you don't mind: if you listen to orchestral, what sort of perspective do you get with your Mezzo's? First row? Tenth? 30th? What are your distances tweeter-tweeter and tweeter-ear? Is your room completely enclosed -- eg, can you get room-lock?
    Parker
    btw, massive power outages around here when storm passed. Though my street was spared, not going to fire the system back up until I'm sure there won't be surges as other neighborhoods come back on line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdub View Post
    Thanks Paul. I'll give it a try. I've been using preset "11 -- full bass (+3 db) with rich sound (+30 Hz)".
    If you don't mind: if you listen to orchestral, what sort of perspective do you get with your Mezzo's? First row? Tenth? 30th? What are your distances tweeter-tweeter and tweeter-ear? Is your room completely enclosed -- eg, can you get room-lock?
    Parker
    btw, massive power outages around here when storm passed. Though my street was spared, not going to fire the system back up until I'm sure there won't be surges as other neighborhoods come back on line.
    I will measure them this evening and get back to you
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

While small ensembles (jazz or classical) sound like they're in the room with me, I haven't been able to get seats in the 10th row or closer for orchestral music with the Mezzo XDs. Seem to be stuck with a midhall presentation, which was not at all the case with Salon2's in approximately the same position.
    Details:
    room is 17x38
    speaker fronts are 6.5' from front wall; toed in so I can see just a smidge of the inner sidewall (eg pointing approx at shoulders)
    speakers and seat approx 10' triangle, but I once tried moving the sofa back 4' without much improvement
    peak db when listening to orchestral typically no more than 95 -- multi-purpose room, so while there's till plenty of headroom in the amps I'd say the limiting factor is the energy in the room

Any Mezzo-owning classical listeners having a different experience?

Parker
    While my reference is only the AG XD Mezzo's ( and before that the AG Grosso's), and I can't comment on the Revel's, I think the Mezzo's do pretty well with orchestral. But I think it's generally asking a lot for any system to capture large orchestral music.

I gravitate toward smaller work and I agree that with the AG's, on a good recording, it sound's like the musicians are in the room. Saxophone translates incredibly well with these speakers. Piano also.

And they are ruthlessly revealing of bad recording, which is a drag but not the speakers fault. .

You have a large space, which is great for these speakers.

I have an unusual listening room which doubles as a work studio: 15x60' total, with the listening area 15x45' and heavily treated with almost equal amounts absorption and diffusion. Because it's so long it has few bass problems and gives me flexibility to where I listen. I'm often 40' from the speakers when I'm working and this is sometimes my favorite position as it has a very live, reverberant quality. The Room is playing at this depth.

I used to be allergic to near-field listening (11' in my case) but it's starting to grow on me. I haven't settled on a particular sweet spot and may never. For concentrated listening, I try between 11 and 18 feet and the bass is good throughout this range. So, with my chair on rollers I'll listen somewhere in this zone, depending on the particular music and my mood. I haven't had the speakers very long so I'm still experimenting.
    Source: Roon Nucleus, Cisco 2960 Switch, Gigafoil, Lampizator Pacific Dac. Amp: Luxman 300q power amp, Linear Tube Audio MZ3 pre amp Speakers: AvantGarde Duo Mezzo XD, JL Audio e112 subs. Cables: Alan Maher Designs Power, Duelund Speaker and Interconnects, Audioquest Diamond ethernet. Room Treatment from Vicoustic.

4. Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willco View Post
    But I think it's generally asking a lot for any system to capture large orchestral music.
    -- I couldn't claim that the Revel's "captured" large orchestral so much as they presented a more satisfying, albeit miniaturized, facsimile of the performers on stage. I assume this means that the cone'n'dome presentation of ambiance cues is different than that of horns. I should still probably make my next audio investment a visit from Jim Smith. I just need to decide which room to put the speakers in: the larger multi-purpose room with limited seating and acoustic treatment options or the 1/3 smaller basement room with superior seating/acoustic options.

Quote Originally Posted by Willco View Post
    I'm often 40' from the speakers when I'm working and this is sometimes my favorite position as it has a very live, reverberant quality. The Room is playing at this depth.

--often sounds like a real jazz band in a real jazz club when I'm on the far end of the room at the kitchen sink. Pretty cool for fixing dinner and doing dishes ... I should cook more ...

6. Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Parker
    I'm using the custom preset which is same as what Mike is uses since our rooms are very similar in size and works great.
    If I have to answer to your question regards to seat postion in concert I would say it will be close to 10-15 th row. The T-T are 10 fts and to my ears are about 13 fts and the room is not dead end one goes to hally way.
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Thanks for the pics. Great looking room.

I would suggest toed in bit more ( tweeter pointing to your ears ) mine I don’t see the inner side speakers.
    Guess I disagree with Paul's toe-in suggestions slightly.

There are certain issues can that affect it. IMO/IME, it depends somewhat on distance from speaker, L&R speaker separation, distance from side walls, first reflection treatment, and speaker rake angle as it is related to your seat height. Not to mention tonal balance of source and electronics.

Of course, none of that matters at all if you didn't carefully locate the optimum seating position before doing anything about speaker adjustments or positioning.

Again, IMO/IME...
    Small Green Computer, gigaFoil 4 Ethernet filter w/ Keces PS-3, Sonore ultraRendu, MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; AQ Diamond USB, Duelund USB, Curious USB; Lush USB; PS Audio LanRover; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; 4 Audioquest Diamond ethernet - 0.75M, 1.5 M, 3M, 5M; Audioquest Diamond AES - 3M; Schiit Yggdrasil - updated; Ayre QB-9 DSD; Ayre Codex; ASR Emitter II Exclusive; all electronics on Grand Prix Audio stands; mass-loaded Tannoy Canterburys on custom stands; Outboard Duelund xover bypassing internal Tannoy xover & Tannoy EQ; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; mass-loaded REL 212 SEs; AV Room Service EVPs, Duelund DCA16GA ICs; Duelund PCs, Stealth Dream PCs; dedicated custom room; various room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

9. Thanks Mike, Marslo thanked for this post
    Likes Mike, Ritmo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions. Real life has intruded this last week and prevented me from trying anything. Will report when time allows.
    Parker

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to have left this thread hanging. Turns out my volume levels on the subs had somehow been set to -7.0 dB. Apparently that'll take the heart right out of big music and stick the listener in the back rows.

Parker
    MSB/EMM/Ayre/Aurender/Luxman/Absolare/Classe/YG/AG/Revel/B&W/Audience/Sony ES/Pioneer Elite/Gallo/JL Audio/ASC/Stillpoint/GIK/Acoustic Revive [and, sadly, only one pair of ears...]

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to have left this thread hanging. Turns out my volume levels on the subs had somehow been set to -7.0 dB. Apparently that'll take the heart right out of big music and stick the listener in the back rows.

Parker
    So glad to hear that you sorted out Parker. Enjoy them in good health. Amazing speakers. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul

13. Thanks pdub thanked for this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2