RMAF 2018 Best of Show - Page 4
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: RMAF 2018 Best of Show

Quote Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
    Jim, you would appreciate the situation. The available desktop was very solid. However there was a soffit above the desktop that as you might expect, made a mess of everything. Worse, the listening position facing the desktop was awful. So there were two options: try a stand or go static.

Matt Alterman (Crescendo Fine Audio) had some 24 inch Dynaudio stands filled with sand. I chose to try those with the IsoBase placed on top of the stand. Not an ideal choice, or so we thought. The room had numerous positioning limitations. Norm Steinke offered an Artnovion palette of treatments. Judicious placement made them just what we needed to make the room work.

So what of TuneTot on a stand? That placement would certainly (and did) eliminate the boundary effect. But by tuning the slot to approximately 1/3 open and careful positioning we were quite pleased with the results. Bass rolled off smoothly and was extended enough that many asked where the sub was. The dynamic capability was also such that the speaker could easy play above a full room. I was quite pleasantly surprised by the performance we were able to obtain. Industry friends who's assessments I've come to trust over many years were unanimous in their enthusiasm. Every person who had heard Tune Tot in dealer showrooms (and voiced an opinion) said it greatly outperformed what they had heard previously.

Based on what I heard in Denver, 24" worked in conjunction with tuning the slot. I would not try a stand taller than 28" for fear of getting the woofer too near the midpoint between floor and ceiling. I would also like to use a dedicated stand that coupled rather than isolated. I suspect that you might see such a stand from Wilson to address these parameters in the future.
    Cool! Should significantly enlarge the market for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MBP (3), stripped down for music only; Curious USB; Lush USB; PS Audio LanRover; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; 2 Audioquest Diamond ethernet - 1 3M 1 - 5M; Audioquest Diamond AES; Schiit Yggdrasil - updated; Ayre QB-9 DSD; Ayre Codex; ASR Emitter II Exclusive; all electronics on Grand Prix Audio stands; mass-loaded Tannoy Canterburys on custom stands; Outboard Duelund xover bypassing internal Tannoy xover & Tannoy EQ; bi-wired with Duelund DCA16GA speaker cables; mass-loaded REL 212 SEs; Duelund DCA20GA ICs; Stealth Dream PCs; dedicated custom room; various room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, ClearAudio Turntables & Accessories, Constellation Audio, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, Kimber Kable, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, KR Audio Tube & Amps, Kronos, Lampizator, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MicroMega, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, Siltech, Solid Tech Racks, Sony, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, Tannoy Loudspeakers, Transfiguration Cartridges, Trenner & Friedl, Triode Corporation of Japan, VAC, Verity Audio Speakers, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

3. Thanks Dizzie thanked for this post
    Likes Odyssey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is interesting how we all hear things differently. While I agree with many of the picks, I (along with 2 others that were attending the show with me) thought the Von Schweikert Audio ULTRA 9 was one of the most unimpressive big budget component rooms. I went there 3 times and each time the sound seemed to be trapped in the speakers. I felt the same about the Rockport room with the Constellation electronics.
    Anshul

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apdoc2004 View Post
    It is interesting how we all hear things differently. While I agree with many of the picks, I (along with 2 others that were attending the show with me) thought the Von Schweikert Audio ULTRA 9 was one of the most unimpressive big budget component rooms. I went there 3 times and each time the sound seemed to be trapped in the speakers. I felt the same about the Rockport room with the Constellation electronics.
    Anshul
    Not surprising at all , its not like trying to prove it was Oswald all along

The editor (Greg Weaver) Personal speakers are VSA’s , he was or may still be associated with Positive Feedback , PF was a strong supporter of Albert V in the early days, when the boom was not in the Box , not surprising to see VSA getting a good plug , deservedly or not ...

Regards

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apdoc2004 View Post
    Anshul
    Lets see your list and write up.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, ClearAudio Turntables & Accessories, Constellation Audio, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, Kimber Kable, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, KR Audio Tube & Amps, Kronos, Lampizator, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MicroMega, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, Siltech, Solid Tech Racks, Sony, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, Tannoy Loudspeakers, Transfiguration Cartridges, Trenner & Friedl, Triode Corporation of Japan, VAC, Verity Audio Speakers, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

I will give you my list. I don't have time for a write up.
    Some of my favorite rooms were (in no particular order):
    - Alsyvox Botticelli planar speakers.
    - Magico M3 with MSB.
    - MBL
    - Gryphon
    - Verity Monsalvat
    - Spatial Lumina.
    - Sanders 10E electrostatics.
    - Borresen Acoustics
    - Sonus Faber Electa amator.
    - Joseph audio Perspectives.
    - NOLA room

I might be missing a couple more but these are the ones that readily come to mind.
    Anshul
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Lets see your list and write up.

8. Thanks Mike, joeinid thanked for this post
    Likes Mike, joeinid liked this post

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4