AudioQuest Niagara 7000 vs. 5000 - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AudioQuest Niagara 7000 vs. 5000

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    Power conditions get rid of humming at my house. Some equipment such as my Rega Osiris benefitted and sounded better with the Isoteck Syncro. A balanced power transformer benefited my Conrad Johnson Premier 140. Neither of those products benefited my front end as they added a lot of Vail or just altered the sound in ways I did not like. My current amps have not responded well to any power conditioners I've tried. But that wasn't the point of my comment. My point was I don't think manufacturers design power conditioning into their gear. If they did design power conditioning into their gear, no one would be purchasing anything from PS audio, Isoteck, Audioquest, Furman ETC.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they all have built in power conditioning. Consumers of external products maybe like to change the sound the manufacturer thought was best.

Your amps still hum right? That's what you wrote yesterday in your first listening impressions of your new speakers. And yes, manufacturers of high end gear build robust power supplies that are well regulated and that do an excellent job of filtering out noise and hum from the AC input. Many amp manufactures are emphatic that they want their amps plugged straight into the wall. I'm sure you can find gear that has crappy power supplies and wasn't designed by an electrical engineer, but it's best to buy gear that was designed well in the first place and not have to use outboard bandaids IMO.
    Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Your amps still hum right? That's what you wrote yesterday in your first listening impressions of your new speakers. And yes, manufacturers of high end gear build robust power supplies that are well regulated and that do an excellent job of filtering out noise and hum from the AC input. Many amp manufactures are emphatic that they want their amps plugged straight into the wall. I'm sure you can find gear that has crappy power supplies and wasn't designed by an electrical engineer, but it's best to buy gear that was designed well in the first place and not have to use outboard bandaids IMO.
    I have no idea what amp manufacturers due today. But I 100% agree with your belief in how to power amps.

What about front end gear. Do you believe they also utilize devices to mitigate noise pollution. If so do you also believe all front end gear should be plugged directly into a wall?
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp, Altec Lansing 1570B modded by Transition Audio Design and myself, Mojo Audio CAT Server running Win Server 2016 AO HQ and Roon, Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC, Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Custom TT with Vertere Arm, Denon 103R Midas with sapphire cantilever line contact diamond, Allnic H1201 phono pre, Pure Audio Project Trio 10 with performance Solen air core chokes and Mundord Supreme oil caps, Power via 10 awg OFC cord from panel to custom distribution strip, Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea what amp manufacturers due today. But I 100% agree with your belief in how to power amps.

What about front end gear. Do you believe they also utilize devices to mitigate noise pollution. If so do you also believe all front end gear should be plugged directly into a wall?
    I don’t use any external power filtering devices in my system. My preference is to plug all gear straight into the wall if possible.
    Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer my amps plugged into the Denali 6000T. I plan on trying Transparent Opus Power Cords in the near future and will see if I prefer them into the 6000T or directly into the wall.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's & Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata

5. Likes kzhtoo, johndoe21ro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FYI I believe there was a recent update/change to the 7000......not sure of details

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsrule View Post
    FYI I believe there was a recent update/change to the 7000......not sure of details
    Please post any details you have.

Thanks,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with
    Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock,
    Renderer V2 and Roon Nucleus Plus
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: AudioQuest Niagara 7000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    I prefer my amps plugged into the Denali 6000T. I plan on trying Transparent Opus Power Cords in the near future and will see if I prefer them into the 6000T or directly into the wall.
    So you have tube or SS. Did you have noise issues that drove the purchase. Thanks
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp, Altec Lansing 1570B modded by Transition Audio Design and myself, Mojo Audio CAT Server running Win Server 2016 AO HQ and Roon, Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC, Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Custom TT with Vertere Arm, Denon 103R Midas with sapphire cantilever line contact diamond, Allnic H1201 phono pre, Pure Audio Project Trio 10 with performance Solen air core chokes and Mundord Supreme oil caps, Power via 10 awg OFC cord from panel to custom distribution strip, Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.

Post Thanks / Like

So you have tube or SS. Did you have noise issues that drove the purchase. Thanks
    He lists his gear under his name.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2