Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Power cable annoyance?

Anyone here have this annoyance whereby the shear weight of your power cable slightly drops down from the back of your component? I was recently adjusting some cables behind my pre and I accidentally touched my power cable and my pre turned off. It's due to the male end of the power cord that doesn't sit snuggley into the pre horizontally. I could try to support that end with a piece of wood or something?

I found this on youtube...I wish more manufactures would offer this Neutrik option for their power cords.

Anyone else have this annoyance? Don't move cables around while pre is on?

btw...I'm using Kimber Ascent pc's
    McIntosh - PMC - Aurender - Kimber Kable - WW - Core Audio Designs

Audioshark

Re: Power cable annoyance?

Or you could just flip the outlet upside down....

Works like a charm and it’s free.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

How about at the other end.... at your preamp etc. ?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by 'cisco View Post
    Turn the preamp upside down. (Joking!!!)

Something to prop the bottom of them up a little helps. Some cork with rubber on it. I’ve seen some use little Velcro straps. As well.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

While an expensive "solution" the Furutech NCF Booster products are perfect for that. I use them for MSB as my Gobel's plugs keep falling out. It works great. Not going to claim that they have a huge effect on the "sound" as I will let others speak to that.

http://www.furutech.com/products/ncf-booster-products/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Turn the preamp upside down. (Joking!!!)

Something to prop the bottom of them up a little helps. Some cork with rubber on it. I’ve seen some use little Velcro straps. As well.
    Thanks Mike....I like your upside down idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post
    While an expensive "solution" the Furutech NCF Booster products are perfect for that. I use them for MSB as my Gobel's plugs keep falling out. It works great. Not going to claim that they have a huge effect on the "sound" as I will let others speak to that.

http://www.furutech.com/products/ncf-booster-products/
    Nice tip Priaptor

Quote Originally Posted by 'cisco View Post
    I have talked about this before on multiple forums. We always have 'solutions' in search of a problem in this hobby, and sometimes those 'solutions' require yet again another 'solution' to help correct the first 'solution.' Building power cables with massive connectors that won't plug in correctly to your IEC outlet on your gear is a problem. The massive connectors always want to come out of the connection because they can't seat correctly because of their weight. Same thing on the wall plug side. The connectors always want to come out of the wall outlet. I have seen countless pictures like yours that show this happening. So now we have cable bras that will elevate your cables at the connection points and try to keep the cable straight at the connection points.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, there are lots of people with heavy expensive cables that are barely making a connection at both ends and yet the buyers swoon about how great the new cable sounds that's barely making electrical contact.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

This has become one of my pet peeves in life. So I will mention two cables that I have used that are great in this regard - the Sablons are almost astonishingly flexible given their AWG, and I also have some Zu Events that are quite decent in this regard. I have sworn off ludicrously stiff cables, end of story. Everything starts with making a good connection, and if the freakin' thing is half out of your outlet or IEC due to its weight or inflexibility than IMHO that is a basic design criterion that has been ignored.
    Main system: PS Audio P5, CAPS server w/HDPlex power supply, Hegel H160, AQ Colorado and Rocket 44, Vandersteen Treos, PS Audio DS DAC. NAD M4 tuner, Mcintosh MR74. Analog: Bryston BLP1, Ortofon Quintet Black, customized Tavish Adagio phono pre. AudioSensibility Statement interconnects. Rythmik Audio 15-inch sub. Other stuff: Sequerra Met 7's (original) Met 7 MK. II, REL Q108, Berning ea-230's, Micro Seiki BL51 with Grace and Rega arms. Too much else to list, I am gonna leave a heck of a pile of stuff when I die.

The NCF booster was invented for the very problem the OP is suffering.
    Clearaudio Master Innovation + Linear Power Supply | DS Audio Master1 Cartridge System | CAD CAT Transport | CAD 5413 MKII DAC | Soulution 520 Preamplifier | Soulution 711 Power Amplifier | Maxonic TW1200 Speakers | PS Audio P20 | Tellurium Q Statement Cabling | Furutech NCF Booster + Booster Signals | CAD GC1 Ground Controls | A Chair

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I use stock power chords. For some weird reason I never seem to have problems.
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Glad to be here.
    Clearaudio Master Innovation + Linear Power Supply | DS Audio Master1 Cartridge System | CAD CAT Transport | CAD 5413 MKII DAC | Soulution 520 Preamplifier | Soulution 711 Power Amplifier | Maxonic TW1200 Speakers | PS Audio P20 | Tellurium Q Statement Cabling | Furutech NCF Booster + Booster Signals | CAD GC1 Ground Controls | A Chair

I made these. Found some brass discs at the local salvage yard. Used stainless steel bolts and nuts, The green pieces are pipe clamp/supports. Sprayed the base with rubber coating and applied self stick non-slip rubber pad on bottom. Works great. cost about $10 ea.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

Front view. Sorry for the sideways pics. don't know how to correct
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

Quote Originally Posted by jadedavid View Post

I made these. Found some brass discs at the local salvage yard. Used stainless steel bolts and nuts, The green pieces are pipe clamp/supports. Sprayed the base with rubber coating and applied self stick non-slip rubber pad on bottom. Works great. cost about $10 ea.
    Sorry, that can't sound good at only $10. LOL. Just kidding. Great mod. Congrats. I'm an "audiophile" and NEED to pay hundreds to hold my plug.

I use the foam plugs that come to block speaker ports to support the heavy ones.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    I have talked about this before on multiple forums. We always have 'solutions' in search of a problem in this hobby, and sometimes those 'solutions' require yet again another 'solution' to help correct the first 'solution.' Building power cables with massive connectors that won't plug in correctly to your IEC outlet on your gear is a problem. The massive connectors always want to come out of the connection because they can't seat correctly because of their weight. Same thing on the wall plug side. The connectors always want to come out of the wall outlet. I have seen countless pictures like yours that show this happening. So now we have cable bras that will elevate your cables at the connection points and try to keep the cable straight at the connection points.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, there are lots of people with heavy expensive cables that are barely making a connection at both ends and yet the buyers swoon about how great the new cable sounds that's barely making electrical contact.
    Great post, LMAO, pity the poor audiophile ......... not !
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    I use stock power chords. For some weird reason I never seem to have problems.
    shame on you, do the neighbors know ? ................
    Cheers ! …. Dave

I use aerospace technology to raise the telegartner connector of my Göbel cable
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

trying out a new power cord... good thing we saved the set of building blocks.

IMG_6084.png

btw: do these massive IEC / power connectors provide any benefit? I opened up the connector and the functional assembly where the wires are screwed to the prongs is rather small in comparison. maybe the large mass provides some type resonance damping? maybe it makes things worse because of the insecure connection?

can't imagine any nano-benefit is worth the PINTA -- ymmv.
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Power cable annoyance?