Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

New Mark Knopfler Nov 16th

"Down The Road Wherever"

Also in vinyl.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joeinid; September 29, 2018 at 07:35 PM.

Super Moderator

Re: New Mark Knopfler Nov 16th

Excellent! Can’t wait.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Excellent! Can’t wait.
    My favorite entertainer. Can listen to him all day.

Super Moderator

Dire Straits is an all time favorite of mine. Mark is a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post
    My favorite entertainer. Can listen to him all day.
    Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Joe,
    Could not agree with you more! Mark Knopfler is the full package -- superb songwriter and a magician with the guitar. His kind of longevity in the music industry is rare.
    Anshul

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Dire Straits is an all time favorite of mine. Mark is a genius.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

I know we have many fans here who will love new music from him.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Just preordered on Amazon. Can't wait!
    MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp, SST Son of Ampzilla II Amp, PS Audio Directstream DAC w/Bridge II, PS Audio Directstream Memory Player, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, ELAC 3070 Sub, Roon Nucleus w/8TB SSD storage

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - HiFi Rose RS250, KEF LS50W Nocturne Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Projectman View Post
    Just preordered on Amazon. Can't wait!
    Same here, got the 2 LP set. Of course have to wait till Nov 16th.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Wow! Huge Mark Knopfler fan here.
    As good as Dire Straits was I really like his recent solo work even more.

Looking forward to this new release!
    2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil View Post
    Wow! Huge Mark Knopfler fan here.
    As good as Dire Straits was I really like his recent solo work even more.

Looking forward to this new release!
    AND in addition to being and awesome performer he cares about the quality of the mastering. I really can't think of an album he has been involved in that wasn't recorded well.

AND in addition to being and awesome performer he cares about the quality of the mastering. I really can't think of an album he has been involved in that wasn't recorded well.
    Yes that is true. In the preview video for the last album "Tracker", he mentioned using a vintage mic in order to get a particular sound for some of the songs. No digital DSP for Mark - it had to be the real thing. Unimaginable in today's digital world.

Mark is just a phenomenal song writer. True wordsmith in the best sense of the word.
    "Song for Sonny Liston" from Shangri La and "Sailing to Philadelphia" are some examples.
    The imagery painted in "Prairie Wedding" from Shangri La is just phenomenal.

Unfortunately Tracker didn't do it for me so I'm hoping this time will be better.
    2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Main:
    Room: Dedicated 25 x 14 x 8 treated room | Computers (headless in utility room): Wkst #1 Ubuntu running lifetime ROON server. High end wkst #2 High end wkst running HQE image | Network rack (in utility room): Managed Fiber Switch, QNAP NAS | Endpoint: Fiber to SONORE OpticalRendu w/ LPS, Sbooster USB vbus2 |DAC: Lampi Lite7, Holo Audio S3 KTE, Aqua La Scala MKII Optologic | Pre: Atma-Sphere MP-3 Mk3.3 Pre | Amps: Pass XA100.5 Mono's | Speakers: Revel Ultima Studio2 (Townshend seismic posiums) with Dual PSA X15 sealed subs | Isolation: Components on custom roller bearings + compression springs | Cables: Wireworld Platinum USB / Analysis Plus PC / Gotham 4/4 XLR / AQ spkr / Revelation audiolabs I2s | Server Streamer: Aqua LinQ using HQP modules > I2s to Aqua La Scala

Office: Win10 wkst with Spotify or ROON controller > VDAC-II > VLINK 192 > Yamaha RX integrated > Polk audio signature Monitors >12" sub

Agree, great song. It’s actually from Sailing to Philadelphia album.

Tracker is also fantastic. I found it to be a grower. For me, it took repeated listens and over time I have come to love that album as well. All of his solo albums are excellent IMO. I’m sure his soon to be released album will be no different. An automatic purchase for me.

Without a doubt, I expect “Wherever ....” to follow the vibe of Tracker more so than Sailing or Shangri-La.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
    Thanks for catching that. I got the albums mixed up.

You are right that his albums grow on you the more you listen to them - "Lights of Taormina" and "Wherever I Go" are two songs from Tracker that I like a lot. The "Kill to Get Crimson" album is another ... full of hidden gems.

Looking forward to "Down The Road Wherever"

2 Channel Stereo :

First song released from the new album....see below. Enjoy!
    https://youtu.be/_vVeeVBNxNw

First listen to that song , and i like it...so looking forward to the album.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Inter connect : Nordost Tyr 2 ( 2 Meter )
    LS cable : Yter
    Power Cables : Nordost Frey 2 ( 2 Meter )
    Nordost QB8
    Fibercable for feeding the Lumin X1
    Rack : Finite Elemente Pagode

I've been a fan since 1978 with the first Dire Straits LP.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by j3brow View Post

Tracker is also fantastic. I found it to be a grower. For me, it took repeated listens and over time I have come to love that album as well. All of his solo albums are excellent IMO. I’m sure his soon to be released album will be no different. An automatic purchase for me.

Without a doubt, I expect “Wherever ....” to follow the vibe of Tracker more so than Sailing or Shangri-La.

An amazing performer and composer. Listening to Tracker right now and loving it.

I’m jaded so to me there is no bad Knopfler.

Highly recommend getting some of his live “Tracker Tours”.

Neil Young claims to care about DR and SQ and I’m a Neil Young fan BUT no one walks the walk better than Knopfler

An amazing performer and composer. Listening to Tracker right now and loving it.

I’m jaded so to me there is no bad Knopfler.

Highly recommend getting some of his live “Tracker Tours”.

Neil Young claims to care about DR and SQ and I’m a Neil Young fan BUT no one walks the walk better than Knopfler

Agree. I didn’t know about “Tracker Tours”. I searched and found a YouTube Tracker Tour show from Milwaukee. Streamed it while working last night. Sounded great on my little Bluetooth portable speaker. Thanks for the tip. Are there official downloads of the Tracker tour?

Edit : never mind. Just found the link on his official website. I will definitely be downloading some shows! Never had the pleasure of catching Mark live.

No comments from anyone yet? I purchased Mark Knopfler’s new CD and listened once as background music. Didn’t have an opinion either way. After listening again, I’m really enjoying it. His voice sounds great, and his lyrics, melodies, and guitar playing are first rate. A wonderful recording and worth every penny.
    MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp, SST Son of Ampzilla II Amp, PS Audio Directstream DAC w/Bridge II, PS Audio Directstream Memory Player, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, ELAC 3070 Sub, Roon Nucleus w/8TB SSD storage

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - HiFi Rose RS250, KEF LS50W Nocturne Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Projectman View Post
    No comments from anyone yet? I purchased Mark Knopfler’s new CD and listened once as background music. Didn’t have an opinion either way. After listening again, I’m really enjoying it. His voice sounds great, and his lyrics, melodies, and guitar playing are first rate. A wonderful recording and worth every penny.
    I have played the deluxe edition a couple of times this week and enjoy most of the tracks. I find several of the tracks better than many on his last couple of releases.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    I have played the deluxe edition a couple of times this week and enjoy most of the tracks. I find several of the tracks better than many on his last couple of releases.
    I bought the deluxe edition as well. I really like the album but agree that some of the cuts are much better than others. While this recording demonstrates the usual demand for excellence of mastering by Knopfler, I don't think it meets the same threshold of his last album, Tracker, which I listened to again with my newly upgraded CH M1 to M1.1 and broken in Gobels and was just blown away at how good the recording is.

Lastly, let me fully admit that I am totally biased, would not take my opinion to the bank regarding Knopfler as in my eyes, I love even his worst albums if there is such as thing which in my biased mind there is no "worst" when it comes to Knopfler. There is just GREAT and even GREATER.

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2018/1...mpression.html

Interesting little tidbit on monostereo for us Knopfler junkies. As usual, his concern for the master is light years ahead of most entertainers.

I bought the deluxe edition as well. I really like the album but agree that some of the cuts are much better than others. While this recording demonstrates the usual demand for excellence of mastering by Knopfler, I don't think it meets the same threshold of his last album, Tracker, which I listened to again with my newly upgraded CH M1 to M1.1 and broken in Gobels and was just blown away at how good the recording is.

Lastly, let me fully admit that I am totally biased, would not take my opinion to the bank regarding Knopfler as in my eyes, I love even his worst albums if there is such as thing which in my biased mind there is no "worst" when it comes to Knopfler. There is just GREAT and even GREATER.
    I agree totally, the Tracker recording was in my opinion stunning in both quality and content. This latest recording is probably my least favorite of all his albums, but, I'd buy a 2 minute recording of MK tuning his guitar!
    Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -Dedicated JRMC + Synology NAS

Quote Originally Posted by Rayooo View Post
    I agree totally, the Tracker recording was in my opinion stunning in both quality and content. This latest recording is probably my least favorite of all his albums, but, I'd buy a 2 minute recording of MK tuning his guitar!
    I couldn't agree more.

Enjoying listening to "Back on the Dance Floor" and it is quintessential Mark Knopfler.

It takes a while to get a handle on an album but from initial impressions Knopfler has added a touch of electronic in this album ("Good On You Son") - perhaps a nod to the new generation of music listeners, added with a light hand to blend with his trademark guitar work ... cut it, slice it ... chop it up to the rhythm of a cockney rebel!

There are also some new sounds by way of the Tenor Sax on "When You Leave". But his voice is like a smooth whisky that never gets old. His lyrics continue to paint images that capture the imagination. He reuses a hook or two to give you something familiar as you journey into the album, changing gear after you get comfortable. ("Just a Boy Away from Home" evokes "Junkie Doll" from Sailing to Philadelphia).

So far for me this another great Mark Knopfler album that I will be playing for a long time.
    2 Channel Stereo :

Been listening to it tonight; not his best.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Last night I paid the $49 for MQA unfolding feature for my Aurender N10. I love Tracker, but when I played the MQA version of it, I was blown away! it was Stunning! It was a big improvement to an already excellent album recording.

2 Channel Stereo :

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team