Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

AQ Hurricane-- any hands on non-believers ?

I've yet to read any hands on negative or luke-warm reviews of this PC. Please... someone that has auditioned it tell me that its not the holy grail !
    My system:
    Power: PS Audio P15 , dedicated 20amp circuits
    Front End: MSB Discrete DAC with MSB renderer

Pre: Simaudio Moon 740P
    Amp: McIntosh MC462
    Speakers: B&W 802 D3
    Interconnects: AQ Earth XLR and Stealth Metacarbon
    Speaker Cable: AQ Type 4 (20 ft runs)

Re: AQ Hurricane-- any hands on non-believers ?

You mean this month right?
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Earlier this year, I auditioned it against top tier Furutech models, Siltech, the latest Audience model, and 1 or 2 others that slip my mind, at the moment.
    The Hurricane offers sound quality and refinement I haven't heard from a power cable at this price range, before. It's good enough that in some systems, it's probably down to a matter of taste as to whether it fits in. Performance-wise, it had no glaring area that I thought needed to be improved. At its price, that's the first time I think I've had that impression.
    I didn't purchase one (I still like my references better in my system) but I will audition it, again, along with the Dragon and whatever their other forthcoming model is called vs the Furutech and Siltech models that I own.
    Christian

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest & Iconoclast interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D-10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables

Audioshark

I received the first bunch of new AQ Storm Series power cords in December (Tornado, Hurricane and Dragon). We held a power cable shootout in January (Rance was there). The Tornado beat power cords costing 20 times as much and many costing many multiples of the Tornado.

Only one cable beat the Tornado. It was the Hurricane. The Dragon wasn’t in the shootout, but when we’ve compared in the store, it’s clearly better than the Hurricane. There were rain drops in this one particular song that became so much more present and vivid with the dragon. Truly amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I will probably be called “uncle” again with this post, but here it is.

I demoed a couple of Hurricane a few months back (15mA and 20mA one each) from Mike who couldn’t have been more gracious.

First, 15mA one was going up against Siltech Ruby Hill II on my integrated amp. 20mA one replaced Siltech Ruby Mountain with Furutech NCF connectors from wall to Denali. I changed them one by one and gave settling time of one day before listening critically (after Mike confirmed the cables were fully broken in). To my surprise, I didn’t find much improvement at all esp. the 20mA one, which, to be fair, Ruby Mountain + Furutech NCF is 3x more expensive. It just sounded slightly different. 15mA one with Ruby Hill II also aren’t night and day difference to my ears.

Then, before I was about to ship them back to Mike, I tried the 15mA one on my DAC, replacing Shunyata Alpha Digital (older model now) and I found out what people are raving about the Hurricane. The soundstage became very open left to right, front to back and everything just all snapped into place and performed like a well-oiled machine. Very musical and pleasant to listen to for hours, even with less than stellar recordings. One other important thing to note here is that I have previously tried replacing Alpha Digital with Ruby Hill II and I didn’t find this level of improvement. If you ask me why, I really don’t know. So I came away with the conclusion that Hurricane on DAC is quite good in my system with the cables I have.

I didn’t order one at the time because there was rumors AQ was coming out with “new” Hurricane with improvement and blue color. I wanted blue color to match with Siltech cables that I have. Mike also confirmed later with AQ people that there was no improvement, but only the color change.

I got my first blue Hurricane last week Thursday and currently it has logged around 130 hours. From last night listening session, the experience is probably even better than what I remember. I’m not sure if it is because of more break-in/settling time but now I’m thinking it’ll be worthwhile to try it on the integrated amp again. Don’t know when that will happen because this time I want Hurricane on both the DAC and integrated amp.

From my experience, cables are very system dependent and there’s just no getting around from trial and error experimentation (that’s where dealers like Mike are very valuable).

Are these braided cables a pain to manage? They look so unwieldy in the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by vortrex View Post
    Are these braided cables a pain to manage? They look so unwieldy in the pictures.
    Somewhat but not impossible.

Well, since yesterday I've got standard & High Current Hurricanes, and ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Marcin

When I had to sell my reference system that included all Shunyata sigma power cords and speaker cables, after some time I started to build a new system and following rave reviews and opinions bought all Tornado power cords. I burned them for about 200 hours and started critical listening. What I heard was relatively balanced sound with slight emphasis on higher frequencies. Another few weeks came buy and I was presented with opportunity to try and demo Triode Wire Labs High Power digital cord. With 30 days return I did not have anything to loose. To my surprise, right after installing the high power digital on my cd player ( esoteric k-03xs) I noticed that sound became more relaxing and natural without sacrificing any details. Long story short, currently I have all Triode Wire labs Obsession power cords that in compare with Tornados elevated my system to the more natural and refined sound. I think its all about synergy and what one like to hear from the system. My reference is always the live sound that I hear often attending different venues.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team