Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

darTZeel NHB-108 Model 2 - The Best Stereo Amplifier In The World Just Got Way Better!

The King is dead, long live the King.

Originally introduced near the turn of the century, the darTZeel NHB-108 had long been considered by many as the finest sounding amplifier ever made. I know I did. The caveat had always been that you have to play by darTZeel's rules. One of the reasons the amplifier sounds so amazing is the extremely low number of output devices in the amplifier as well as the lack of fuses, switches or relays in the signal path. The downside is just like owning a tube amplifier your speaker cannot have a severe impedance drop. Anything near 2 ohms or lower, don't bother.

In the time since it's original release there have been a few changes, but none that warranted a model name change. During this era most manufacturers, who shall go unnamed, have changed their models countless times. The darTZeel NHB-108 for the most part had remained unsurpassed. About seven years ago Hervé Deletraz, the owner and mad genius behind darTZeel, created his newest masterpiece, the NHB-458 monoblocks. The NHB-108 stereo amplifier had finally been bettered. However, the NHB-108 was still considered the finest sounding stereo amplifier.

It has been about 18 years or so since most of you started hearing about the darTZeel NHB-108 and it is finally being replaced by a Model 2 version. Taking circuit improvements which were developed for the NHB-458 Monoblocks, Hervé has implemented major changes in the NHB-108 Model 2. Without going into extreme detail about the mechanical and technical differences, I will share the sonic improvements. Hervé told me to expect many of the sonic virtues of the NHB-458 monos in the new NHB-108 Model 2 stereo amp. He wasn't kidding. This new marvel has greater transparency, speed and dynamics while retaining the incredible delicacy, naturalness and ability to present musical nuances that the darTZeel NHB-108 has always been known for. It has a bit more power as well, but a noticeably better control over the bass. For the most part, the NHB-108 Model 2 is a miniature pair of NHB-468 monoblocks in one box. This thing is amazing! The cost of near perfection is about $44k.

Consider this a tease. Go hear it for yourself.

For you darTZeel NHB-108 Model One owners, the good news is there is an upgrade path directly with the factory. If you already have the SCNP upgrade the cost to upgrade is 12k CHF. If you do not have the SCNP network there will be an additional 1.5k CHF cost. The faceplate will not be changed but the "eyes" will be yellow instead of orange.

Re: darTZeel NHB-108 Model 2 - The Best Stereo Amplifier In The World Just Got Way Better!

Thanks for sharing this Jonathan.

Looks like the model 2 is more powerful.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Super Moderator

Re: darTZeel NHB-108 Model 2 - The Best Stereo Amplifier In The World Just Got Way Better!

Thank you Jonathan. Looking forward to seeing more of this amp. I’m sure it’s wonderful.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Is this a fully balanced design?

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    I'm not sure if its fully balanced from input to output but it does have two eyes!

Do you think fully balanced is important? Balanced topology can be inferior to unbalanced topology, because balanced equipment is much more complex and thus has potential for greater noise and distortion.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

I'm aware of the pluses and minuses of balanced vs. unbalanced internal implementation. Just asking the question.

I suspect it’ll sound really good, balanced or unbalanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Amplification: DartZeel 468 (2) // DartZeel NHB18NS Mk. II
    Tuner: MagnumDynalab 108T/SE
    Table/Cart: J.Sikora Reference // Integrity HiFi Tru-Glider - DSAudio GrandMaster EX // Integrity HiFI Tru-Glider - Ortofon A Mono
    Equalizer/Phono Pre: DSAudio Master3
    Speakers: TAD R-1 MkII, REL Six Pack of REL Carbon Specials
    Power: Nordost QBase8 Mk3, QX4, Qkore1, 3 and 6 (chassis), QK1 (2), QV2 (2), Chord GroundAray (signal), Chord Line Aray (3), Chord Professional, AddPOWR EAU2 (2)
    DAC/Serv-stream: LampiZator Horizon/ Taiko Extreme
    Elrod Master Statement Diamond SE Speaker Cables
    Elrod Master Statement Diamond PCs (7), Evolution Acoustics 50 ohm (Zeel Connection), Nordost Odin2 IC (2), Nordost Valhalla II USB, CH Acoustic X20 IC, Final Touch Audio Elara PCs (6)
    AudioDesk Systeme RCM
    CMS Ultra 2.0 Footers TT (2) and TD (2), Revopods (2) and SortKones and EVPs where they work
    Critical Mass Systems Ultra-Q Rack > Silence Focus Amp Stands

Thanks for the update Jonathan. I think many of us would be grateful if you would give us more information about the increase in power output and ability to drive lower impedances.
    Analog source: AMG Viella 12; Ortofon Anna cartridge, van den Hul Crimson Stradivarius XGW
    Digital source: Totaldac d1-twelve Mk2 DAC, Totaldac d1-player, Totaldac d1-streamer, Totaldac Live Power supply
    Pre amp: VAC Master with phono
    Phonostage: ​Constellation Andromeda
    Amps: VAC 200iQ monoblocks
    Speakers: Magico M3 with MPods
    Cables: Synergistic Research Galileo SX speaker, phono, analog and digital interconnects
    Power products: Synergistic Research Galileo PowerCell SX and Transporter Ultra. Galileo SX and SRX power cords. Keces P3 LPS for cable modem and router.

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    I don’t think so. DarTZeel also favours BNC input which is single end design.

As the updated technical information becomes available, I will be happy to post. I do believe the power increase is an extra 50 wpc.

darTZeel's are world class amps and I am sure this new amp will not disappoint. As others have said, thank you for the update.

What about hte NHB-468s? When do they hit the USA shores?

Thanks again.
    Front End: MSB Select II DAC, MSB Reference Transport, Magnum Dynalab MD107T, Aiwa AD-F990
    Amplification: Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamplifier & Momentum M400 MxV Monoblocks, Crown XLS 2502 (x3) (subwoofers)
    Speakers: Scaena La Maitresse Ultime Loudspeaker System
    Cables: Shunyata Aeros Aurora-SP, Shunyata Aeros Aurora-IC, Jungson Golden Dragon
    Power: GigaWatt PC-4 EVO+, GigaWatt LS-2HCEVO, Jungson Pure Power, JPS Labs AC+, Transparent HPPC
    Miscellaneous: ​Bohmer/Legacy Audio Wavelet DSP/Room Correction

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

darTZeel NHB-108 Model 2 - The Best Stereo Amplifier In The World Just Got Way Better!