Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Sound proof doors for Music room

My house entrance door enters my music room.I have a double brick house ( 125mm brick ,50mm air gap 125mm brick) with various room treatment and windows blanked out.I want to put in a door similar to a sound studio to block the sound db around the same as the brick rate.Anyone been down this path?
    Stump

Re: Sound proof doors for Music room

Quote Originally Posted by stump View Post
    My house entrance door enters my music room.I have a double brick house ( 125mm brick ,50mm air gap 125mm brick) with various room treatment and windows blanked out.I want to put in a door similar to a sound studio to block the sound db around the same as the brick rate.Anyone been down this path?
    Stump

Freezer doors is what some studio’s use , insulated and seals like a champ ..

Stump
    Hi Eamonn,

I’ve been down this path twice before and included some details in my system thread.

I’ve copied some of those details below:

1. Never buy an “acoustic” door by itself. Any decent acoustic door will be sold together with the door frame and all seals; parameter seals for the top and sides and drop seal for the base. Further, the manufacturer should also supply or recommend cylinders, locks and lever furniture as uncertified third party products could wreck effectiveness.

2. Look at the certification which should include the standard / methodology they are tested too or with. Common / applicable standards include ISO 140-3, ISO 717-1, ASTM E-90 etc. Further, better quality acoustic doors usually come with a plate discretely screwed to the door which contains information including the doors serial number, STC rating, test standard and year of manufacture.

3. For installation, use a builder who is recommended by the acoustic door supplier. Too many acoustic doors fail to perform to specification simply because they were not installed correctly. If one man can install a door by himself it is probably not an acoustic door!

4. Widely available solid core doors are not acoustic doors. Acoustic doors will generally feature an insulated inner core and / or a multiple layer construct of materials arranged in a vibration reducing manner. The STC rating of a typical solid core door will be around 30 (hollow doors being 10dB lower still). Acoustic doors have far greater mass and typically will offer an STC rating of 10dB higher than standard solid core.

5. Given the weight of an acoustic door [they need mass to be effective] you probably need to shop locally for a solution. For my audio room in New Zealand I used Pacific Doors http://www.pacificdoors.co.nz/acoustic/acoustic-doors. Something comparable should be locally available.

6. A potentially cheaper and easier to source option if space and design allows is to use two solid core doors, both with drop and parameter seals. Each door should be independent (i.e. not connected together) and have an open airgap between them. Granted, it’s a bit odd to enter a house which has two doors but hey – it’s great for security too.

Whatever final solution you choose it will not compete with the isolation that your double brick with air gap exterior walls provide. Doors and windows and often ceilings too (don’t forget them) are the weak spots in any sound isolation effort.

Regards
    Ralph
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Thanks Ralph
    I have enjoyed your posts and did look at sound proof doors a couple of years ago but the Local companies here talk of solid doors with mention of Sound Proof like recording studio the say will cost Thousands......What did spark my interest is a Company called Sound Box in Guangzhou.I went to there factory looking at some room treatment and found they are a one stop shop for everything.I will run there door past a professional door installer and see if the price makes it worth my while buying one.... Here is a link as its hard putting pics on this site...

For the db rating, we suggest choosing the 50mm door with 38db STC.
    https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/top...d-box-factory/

https://youtu.be/uOPWMpZDcgg

https://youtu.be/yePNdZB1HrE

Wow, what a great find. Yes, unfortunately acoustic doors are expensive and do indeed run into the thousands of dollars.

I might order some stuff from Sound Box to put into a new audio room i am planning.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Just looked through there online shop at some prices.They are certainly not Cheap Chinese prices but given the High Quality of the show room products the value is still there.The door Im looking at is a G65 STC 43dB(A) level ii standard (65mm door) the blue one with round window.Have been quoted $1000US now waiting in shipping charge..
    BTW If the door is rated - 43db what would the rating of a double brick house be??
    ( 125mm brick ,50mm air gap 125mm brick)

https://www.soundboxacoustic.com/

Just looked through there online shop at some prices.They are certainly not Cheap Chinese prices but given the High Quality of the show room products the value is still there.The door Im looking at is a G65 STC 43dB(A) level ii standard (65mm door) the blue one with round window.Have been quoted $1000US now waiting in shipping charge..
    BTW If the door is rated - 43db what would the rating of a double brick house be??
    ( 125mm brick ,50mm air gap 125mm brick)

https://www.soundboxacoustic.com/

I used a 3 inch (76mm) acoustic door for my audio room in Singapore. It cost SGD 2,000 installed. That included the door, door frame, hardware and seals. Its STC/Rw was 48. The door was so heavy it required several men to install it.

Regarding shipping, China has the cheapest rates in the world so fingers crossed its affordable for you.

As earlier mentioned your door can’t compete with your cavity brick walls. Their STC is easily 10dB better than your proposed door.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Sound proof doors for Music room