Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Suggestions to replace Benz LPS

Hi All,

My Benz LPS has met its master and now I am thinking of if I want to replace with same or look for something else!?

LPS has been a very nice partner but I am ready for a change. Any suggestions in this price/performance range that may fit my setting, Dr. Feickert-Kuzma 4p/Kondo silver-Aavik U300?
    In essence a bit more top end stretch and dynamics plus better defined bass (referred to what I hear in my system - see my profile).

Keep it coming/Mike
    Main system: Aavik Acoustics U-300 (upgraded internals), Accuphase C47 + TechDAS AF V Premium + Kuzma 4P11" Gemstone/Kondo silver + Ortofon Diamond, Naim streamer SSD + TAD DA-1000 DAC, Sonus Faber Stradivari 35 Anniversary, mostly full cable loom Ansuz Acoustics, D and own silver constructions on signal side, Mainz DTC/D2 + Mainz8 D-TC power distributor. All individual equipment and cables rest on Ansuz Acoustics Darkz DTC (Tungsten balls). Dedicated mains supply (Audience Conductor) with Klangmodule fuse system and Furutech receptacles. Other systems: Collection of Sonus Faber classics (Franco S design), tube gear and transistor designs, CD-transports and players, turntables and collection of cables

Audioshark

Re: Suggestions to replace Benz LPS

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeoo View Post
    Hi All,

My Benz LPS has met its master and now I am thinking of if I want to replace with same or look for something else!?

LPS has been a very nice partner but I am ready for a change. Any suggestions in this price/performance range that may fit my setting, Dr. Feickert-Kuzma 4p/Kondo silver-Aavik U300?
    In essence a bit more top end stretch and dynamics plus better defined bass (referred to what I hear in my system - see my profile).

Keep it coming/Mike
    Ortofon Cadenza Black
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

If you can stretch your budget beyond the Cadenza Black, their Windfeld Ti is reportedly a significant step up in performance. Not unreasonable in today's reality of $10K to $15K cartridges!

Thanks guys!

A friend of mine recommended Van der Hul Frog Gold. Any opinion?

Mike
    Main system: Aavik Acoustics U-300 (upgraded internals), Accuphase C47 + TechDAS AF V Premium + Kuzma 4P11" Gemstone/Kondo silver + Ortofon Diamond, Naim streamer SSD + TAD DA-1000 DAC, Sonus Faber Stradivari 35 Anniversary, mostly full cable loom Ansuz Acoustics, D and own silver constructions on signal side, Mainz DTC/D2 + Mainz8 D-TC power distributor. All individual equipment and cables rest on Ansuz Acoustics Darkz DTC (Tungsten balls). Dedicated mains supply (Audience Conductor) with Klangmodule fuse system and Furutech receptacles. Other systems: Collection of Sonus Faber classics (Franco S design), tube gear and transistor designs, CD-transports and players, turntables and collection of cables

Audioshark

Thanks guys!

A friend of mine recommended Van der Hul Frog Gold. Any opinion?

Mike
    I haven’t tried the Van der Hul Frog Gold (crazy name!). But Myles is quite high on Van der Hul Carts.

I will tell you, a beautifully romantic sounding cartridge is the Miyajima Madake.

Another option are the My Sonic Lab cartridges. They are superb value.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

In case you're looking for more info, the brand is actually Van den Hul. With any of these choices you need to ensure that they're a good match to your phono stage, regarding gain and loading options. The MSL cartridges for example are very low impedance designs which could cause potential matching issues, and MC output levels also vary.

The top Shelters - Accord and Harmony - both sound superb, and somehow fall under the audiophile radar these days. Probably underrated. Just throwing it out as a wildcard. I've been loving my Harmony on a CA Universal for the past year (actually I've found I like it even MORE as time goes on), and also just today mounted a new Accord on a Graham Phantom - sounds awesome right out of the box, already giving my Coralstone a tough time of it in the quick comparison I did. The Accord might just be the most reasonably priced cartridge with a Titanium body. Sonically, these carts have a very clean detailed sound with just a touch of warmth in the midrange. Absolutely smoothness with no hint of grain, ever. Not as fat and lush in mids as a Koetsu, but not anywhere close to sterile either. Great extension. Very clean, fast, and punchy bass. Good visceral impact. These Shelters particularly excel at a very large soundstage and extremely low noise floor (exceeding Koetsu stones in these areas). Quietest cartridges I've ever run. Perfect pricing for an LPS replacement, at upper-$3K's (Accord) and 5K (Harmony).

The Windfeld Ti mentioned above also looks very interesting. The Shelters definitely perform at a higher level than my Cadenza Bronze (also a very good cart for the price, though), so I'd go for the Windfeld line and above if you move to Ortofon from an LPS.

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    If you can stretch your budget beyond the Cadenza Black, their Windfeld Ti is reportedly a significant step up in performance. Not unreasonable in today's reality of $10K to $15K cartridges!
    I agree with the Windfeld Ti recommendation. I initially recently upgraded from a Cadenza Black. My upgrade path has Bennett Benz Ebony > Cadenza Bronze > Cadenza Black > Windfeld Ti.
    Gryphon Diablo 300 w/DAC, Rockport Mira II, Wolf Audio Alpha 3SX, DSA Phono 2, Origin Live Sovereign MK3, Enterprise MK4, Conqueror MK4, SoundSmith Hyperion, Miyajima Zero

Thanks All,

Well, the Ortofon range hasn't been my cup of tea in the past but it is some time since I lend an ear to this brand. Tough to say how 'accurate' things are when there are so many parts of different origin involved compared to my own setup when auditioning.

I'll take my time to get some impressions.

Mike

More suggestions please/Mike

Audioshark

If you can find a Transfiguration Proteus, THAT would be a great cart to own (I’ve owned it and currently have the Transfiguration Proteus D (diamond)). The regular Proteus sells for around $5K, but sound like $12K.

Agree with the Windfield Ti suggestion above. I prefer it to several much more expensive cartridges.

You may want to check out the Kiseki Purple Heart.

B

Hi Mike.
    Does the Winfeld Ti have body to it, in that i am looking for something that is fast but think not like Lyra and not as thick as Koetsu. I am looking to replace an old Koetsu black. I have had a Dynavector TKR and it was nice but i want a little more body than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    If you can find a Transfiguration Proteus, THAT would be a great cart to own (I’ve owned it and currently have the Transfiguration Proteus D (diamond)). The regular Proteus sells for around $5K, but sound like $12K.

Agree with the Windfield Ti suggestion above. I prefer it to several much more expensive cartridges.

Hi All,

Some water under the bridge and little time to think about LPS replacement until a few days ago. Though I thought I rise my bar a notch and now viewing towards Van den Hul Crimson. Any one have experience from this cartridge?
    Briweed, thanks for the suggestion and you are not the only one that give Kesiki Purple heart a nod.

Best/Mike

Hi All,

Keep it coming/Mike
    This weekend I was at an dealer show, A10 in Amsterdam.

He was showing his new Merill Audio Jens phono stage. For this he was using a Reed TT with Reed tone arms and EMT Jubilee carts. But the real beauty of the show was a Pluto TT (my dream TT) using a Thales Statement cart and MySonicLabs Signature Platinum.

That truly sounded wonderful, on the YG Haily speaker powered by EMM labs pre amp and mono power amps.

My personal dream carts would be a van de Hul Crimson which I prefer over the colibri.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by briweed View Post
    You may want to check out the Kiseki Purple Heart.

B
    Indeed, exceptional cartridge that eclipses anything else I have owned.

Haven't been on the forum some time. Though I managed to get a new cart, the Soundsmith Sussurro II. It really left the LPS in the dust! Adjustments took some time as well as the finer ones after the break in which took over 100 hours. Small changes in VTA, VTF and Azimuth makes big difference but when that magic spot is hit it just shines!

Mike

Hi All,

Some water under the bridge and little time to think about LPS replacement until a few days ago. Though I thought I rise my bar a notch and now viewing towards Van den Hul Crimson. Any one have experience from this cartridge?
    Briweed, thanks for the suggestion and you are not the only one that give Kesiki Purple heart a nod.

Best/Mike
    All IMHO

I have heard the Crimson on multiple occasions. It is one of the best cartridges available. In some ways it is better then the Colibri. The Crimson is more dynamic/alive sounding compared to the Colibri. If you would only listen to Jazz or chamber music the Colibri might be better, since it is more detailed. However if you also play a bit of rock or even metal, or orchestral music my money would be on the Crimson.

Other good cart are made by
    My Sonic Lab
    Dynavector
    Ikeda
    Koetsu

I have heard these carts on Avik amps and Feicker turntable (Reed arms)
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Hi Mordante,

Well I ended up getting the SS Sussurro II and it is an amazing cartridge but need some time to adjust for perfection, not that it sounds bad basic adjusted but hitting that golden spot brings so much more out of the records.
    By the way I replaced my beloved Feickert with a Kuzma drive unit, the Stabi R, and this one is so much better in the context of my cart and 4P arm. The jump in SQ was huge to say the least but it doesn't mean the Feickert sound bad it is just that Kuzma brings so much more out of those tracks.

Mike

Hi Mordante,

Well I ended up getting the SS Sussurro II and it is an amazing cartridge but need some time to adjust for perfection, not that it sounds bad basic adjusted but hitting that golden spot brings so much more out of the records.
    By the way I replaced my beloved Feickert with a Kuzma drive unit, the Stabi R, and this one is so much better in the context of my cart and 4P arm. The jump in SQ was huge to say the least but it doesn't mean the Feickert sound bad it is just that Kuzma brings so much more out of those tracks.

Mike

Which Feickert did you have?

It is not surprising that a Kuzma arm performs best on a Kuzma turntable. I have never adjusted or tweaked my tone arm.

If I had the money I'd buy a Thales tone arm. These are on another level compared to Kuzma, Reed or Dynavector IMHO.

Hi,

Woodpecker 2, and to my ears the best sounding of the collection at least at the time when buying. WP 2 just played music. Kuzma Stabi R does that too but with so much more insight to the music, with effortless dynamics and stability.
    Not sure all brands has super symbiosis and Kuzma 4P works super in many set ups. Until you hear what arm adjusting can do to some carts for optimal SQ it is perhaps hard to understand how small changes make big effects. My previous LPS didn't react to any changes unless extreme adjustment to VTA or azimuth though setting VTF to 1,78 gr instead of 1,82 gr made huge difference. With my new SS cart all changes give a definitive effect (also on Feickert). As usual it is all about the collective sum of parts that decides the final output. Have heard the Thales to little to comment if it was arm, tt or cart that made things sing. But pretty sure it is a great arm as I read from all the accolades on the web. The SAT arm is the one I would refer to as the best arm I heard but again all in the context of that particular system.
    Anyway, not having Ansuz Mainz and Darkz, will keep your systems real qualities hidden...

All the best/Mike

Haven't been on the forum some time. Though I managed to get a new cart, the Soundsmith Sussurro II. It really left the LPS in the dust! Adjustments took some time as well as the finer ones after the break in which took over 100 hours. Small changes in VTA, VTF and Azimuth makes big difference but when that magic spot is hit it just shines!

Mike
    Hello Mike. This is my first post to Audioshark (hello everyone!). I was very interested in your move from the Benz to the Sussurro MkII. I use a Benz Wood SL on a VPI Avenger, and also own and use a Zephyr MkII. I have been considering a move up and was thinking about the move to either the LP-S or the Sussurro MkII, ironically. Can you tell me a bit more about the differences you heard between the two? I'd very much appreciate thoughts from someone who has direct experience with both.

I have also been thinking about the Kiseki Purple Heart N.S., but I don't know quite so much about that one. Thanks.

duplicate...

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum! Starting with costs for these carts, as it may differ depending where you are living but in my part of the world Sussurro is about double the cost of LPS. Tonearm and phonoamp will be other parts that will dictate the outcome. LPS is a very good sounding cart and it will shine with most arms as I have heard it in many different setups. I started with a Jelco tonearm many moons ago together with the LPS and it played very well and after moving to the Kuzma 4P it just followed with even better performance. Though as stated in previous replies it seemed to respond very little to VTA, azimuth adjustments and bias (anti skating) but was hyper sensitive on VTF (and sounded best in the area of the lower recommended VTF) so my guess is that if you have an arm that allows none or few adjustment possibilities LPS will be just fine and a top performer in that context. Things was a bit different with the Sussurro! Straight out of the box without much adjustments it clearly beat the LPS on all areas, stereo image - channel separation, definition, dynamics, details, base, timbre etc but remember this was with Kuzma 4P. Fine tuning VTA (SRA more exactly), azimuth, bias and even the damping of the arm brought the hole sound to another lever above LPS. Strangely VTF is not as sensitive as long as you keep it at the higher recommended setting and for me at 2,1 gr of max 2,2 gr. With LPS, changing 0,04 gr made big difference (on Kuzma 4P).

My impressions, maybe someone else can share their experiences/Mike

For those that may be considering a Soundsmith Sussurro MkII, since there is now a new revised model you can still find a new MkII available online at a 50% off closeout price of $2,500.

Thank you Mike. I'm on a VPI Avenger with multiple, highly adjustable VPI arms. The arm for the intended upgrade will be my new Fatboy. It's on a VTA (SRA) tower so I'm good there, and the arm has azimuth and bias adjustment capabilities.

From what I've read, the Sussurro MkII and the Kiseki Purple Heart NS are two very different cartridges, but I wonder how they compare.

Thanks audio.bill. Yes, that's part of the attraction right now on the SS.

Quote Originally Posted by tony22 View Post
    Thank you Mike. I'm on a VPI Avenger with multiple, highly adjustable VPI arms. The arm for the intended upgrade will be my new Fatboy. It's on a VTA (SRA) tower so I'm good there, and the arm has azimuth and bias adjustment capabilities.

From what I've read, the Sussurro MkII and the Kiseki Purple Heart NS are two very different cartridges, but I wonder how they compare.

Thanks audio.bill. Yes, that's part of the attraction right now on the SS.
    The Kiseki PH has a warmer tonal balance, which depending upon your system's leanings and personal preferences may be desirable. Some say its warmth tends to impart itself on all recordings so it's more than a mild enhancement. The SS Sussurro comparatively has a more neutral tonal balance with great dynamics and extension. Both are rated as excellent in their own right, choice will most likely come down to system matching.

Thank you audio.bill.

Hi Tony,

Never listened to Kiseki Purple Heart but its little brother Blue I did and that is a very nice musical sounding cart perhaps not thrilling sound. Once again it is up to several parameters, arm, wiring, phono stage and not least your own preferences. But with a 50% discount on a Sussurro 'old' style it is a no brainer for me. If possible try to get them demoed of course.

Mike

Interesting observations, Mikeoo. I haven't read any reviews of the Blue, but it seems there's a lot of positive talk about the Purple Heart having a fine ability to retrieve detail without being overly aggressive about it. OTOH there's a fellow on the VPI forums who felt it lacked detail and articulation, so it seems a little confusing.

Hi Tony,

Tone arm, cabling, phono stage, amp, cabling, loudspeakers, ears and brain will have an effect the signal extracted from the track hence different experiences. I think there are some reviews on Purple H from 'trustable' reviewers but still in context of some parameters. Try having a demo, but buying carts is sometimes a leap into the big unknown but at least supported by reviews and demos in other systems.

Mike

... buying carts is sometimes a leap into the big unknown but at least supported by reviews and demos in other systems.

Mike
    It certainly is!

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Suggestions to replace Benz LPS