Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Furutech GTX-D Rhodium NCF Outlet

Hi

I have been using a strip with Cary tube preamp and digital sources on a Furutech GTX-D Gold outlet and Pass power amp to a Maestro on the wall for a while now.

The combination seems decent but lately with some bass heavy recordings I have found the bass thick and boomy on extreme low bass notes. The mids and highs are fine and I tend to be sensitive to bright treble.

I took the preamp out and put it to the Maestro on the wall and this ameliorated the bass somewhat. Everything became fuller sounding but as a result, there was less low bass reverb (sounds contradictory?)

I suspect it is the GTX-D Gold. I am guessing if I replaced that with a GTX-D Rhodium NCF, it will tighten up the bass and hopefully eliminate the excessive low bass reverb. But in doing so, will the highs become too forward, hard or bright as Rhodium tends to be vs Gold?

Any experienced feedback from users who have tried the Maestro, GTX-D Gold and GTX-D Rhodium NCF is much appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Furutech GTX-D Rhodium NCF Outlet

If your system has thick boomy bass, you can swap out wall outlets until the end of time and they will never fix your problem. Kind of like your car having a flat tire and you think if you change out the battery your tire will suddenly inflate. You are barking up the wrong tree IMO. You have system/room issues, not wall outlet issues.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    If your system has thick boomy bass, you can swap out wall outlets until the end of time and they will never fix your problem. Kind of like your car having a flat tire and you think if you change out the battery your tire will suddenly inflate. .........................
    How so, so true!
    In the past, they tried to cure problems with interconnect cables, now they have moved on to AC power stuff.

I have a different opinion.
    Most of time we tend to think the problem is in the room but it´s not. It is really in the system, and yes, the solution can be achieved doing some tweaks.

Saying so, and from my experience with gold vs rhodium (not the stuff you are trying), i think gold is far way better than rhodium. Much more natural.

I suggest you to try some other brand. But always the gold finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    I have a different opinion.
    Most of time we tend to think the problem is in the room but it´s not. It is really in the system, and yes, the solution can be achieved doing some tweaks.

Saying so, and from my experience with gold vs rhodium (not the stuff you are trying), i think gold is far way better than rhodium. Much more natural.

I suggest you to try some other brand. But always the gold finish.
    If his bass is as bad as he says it is, no wall outlet is going to fix that. You can't tweak your way out of serious bass issues that are caused by the amp/speaker/room interactions.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Deleted

Double post
    Last edited by mikey8811; September 29, 2018 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Double post

OK so I got the GTX D Rhodium NCF’s.

I have about 5 hours on them now. I have the Cary tube preamp and digital sources on a strip to the outlet. I have the Pass Labs power amp on the Maestro.

There is greater clarity, air and instrumental separation. Image outlines are also more distinct, but with less bloom and fullness - I guess this would constitute a minor negative. The bass has tightened up and there is more micro detail all round.

More on the downside, the treble has become "silvery" with a bit of hardness and brightness. There is more extension but the sound doesn’t seem like it has opened up yet and still sounds etched and shut in.I do hope the treble hardness and brightness goes away. How long does this take?

The GTX D Gold had boomy low bass but I liked the top end on that.

Overall, if I had to choose one among the 3 outlets, I prefer the Maestro so far.

Furutech Rhodium plating take a few hundred hours to stabilize. Give it a few weeks of constant use before making your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey8811 View Post
    OK so I got the GTX D Rhodium NCF’s.

More on the downside, the treble has become "silvery" with a bit of hardness and brightness. There is more extension but the sound doesn’t seem like it has opened up yet and still sounds etched and shut in.I do hope the treble hardness and brightness goes away. How long does this take?
    The GTX D Gold had boomy low bass but I liked the top end on that.
    That´s why i told you that gold was/is more natural

That´s why i told you that gold was/is more natural
    Yes, I realise that but the bass was awful on some tracks and made the mids muddy sounding and indistinct.

There is meant to be a Gold NCF later this year. I may try that if the treble doesn't smoothen out with further burn in.

Hi

I have been using a strip with Cary tube preamp and digital sources on a Furutech GTX-D Gold outlet and Pass power amp to a Maestro on the wall for a while now.

The combination seems decent but lately with some bass heavy recordings I have found the bass thick and boomy on extreme low bass notes. The mids and highs are fine and I tend to be sensitive to bright treble.

I took the preamp out and put it to the Maestro on the wall and this ameliorated the bass somewhat. Everything became fuller sounding but as a result, there was less low bass reverb (sounds contradictory?)

I suspect it is the GTX-D Gold. I am guessing if I replaced that with a GTX-D Rhodium NCF, it will tighten up the bass and hopefully eliminate the excessive low bass reverb. But in doing so, will the highs become too forward, hard or bright as Rhodium tends to be vs Gold?

Any experienced feedback from users who have tried the Maestro, GTX-D Gold and GTX-D Rhodium NCF is much appreciated.

Thanks
    What speakers are you using?

What speakers are you using?
    Vienna Acoustics Kiss

Vienna Acoustics Kiss
    Thanks. Are you using them with subs?

I would first consider playing with speaker placement and listening position, it does not cost you anything.
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Thanks. Are you using them with subs?
    Nah, no subs. I think i have enough bass. The boom seems to be more an anomaly, only on low bass notes and with some recordings. The Cardas Golden Reference I have on the digital source seems to be exacerbating it although the mids and treble are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    I would first consider playing with speaker placement and listening position, it does not cost you anything.
    Done that already - I spent much time trying the Sumiko method and things seem fine. "Ballad Of The Runaway Horse" seems fine. "Way Down Deep" on "The Hunter" too. I did a couple of bass tests ie. Chesky, etc and those seem fine too.

Pulling the speakers out seem to have minimal impact where the bass notes on those recordings are concerned. The first track with the bass notes on the 24 96 download of Tony Bennett & Diana Krall's "Love Is Here To Stay" seem boomy. I don't know if it's me or the recording. i am giving the recording the benefit of the doubt since it is a current one.

Done that already - I spent much time trying the Sumiko method and things seem fine. "Ballad Of The Runaway Horse" seems fine. "Way Down Deep" on "The Hunter" too. I did a couple of bass tests ie. Chesky, etc and those seem fine too.

Pulling the speakers out seem to have minimal impact where the bass notes on those recordings are concerned. The first track with the bass notes on the 24 96 download of Tony Bennett & Diana Krall's "Love Is Here To Stay" seem boomy. I don't know if it's me or the recording. i am giving the recording the benefit of the doubt since it is a current one.
    Consider reading about room treatments; bass traps, reflection and absorption. Jim Smith somewhere on here may be a source as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Hi,

Any improvement since then?

Hi,

Any improvement since then?
    Yes, it has improved but it fluctuates. The highs get better then get worse. So i guess the burn in is not done yet.

I whopped a Cardas Golden Reference power cord on the DAC (I had a Cardas Clear Beyond there with the Golden Reference on the streamer) and it ameliorated the issue with the highs brought about by the GTX-D R NCF, making the listening more enjoyable and less of a chore during the burn in process.

There was less air and space between notes than with the Clear Beyond but a fuller more "golden" sound kind of like with the GTX-D Gold outlet but with more detail.

The boomy bass and bloat is largely gone and that I can attribute to the GTX-D R NCF.

When the burn in is done, i'll put the Clear beyond back on the DAC. hopefully, i'll get more clarity, air and space between the notes with no or minimal loss in body and the mids and no sibilance in the highs - that's the thought anyway.

All these tweaks and cabling are tone controls - just saying.

Ok
    But if it was me, i´ll keep on the gold finish, and try to find the right power cable (or other tweak) to get things right.

The boomy bass and bloat is largely gone and that I can attribute to the GTX-D R NCF.
    I think rodhium, and silver by the way, do not go as deep in the bass as gold. So we have the sensation of better and more controled bass, but... i could be wrong.

Goog luck.
    Looking forward your last conclusions

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Furutech GTX-D Rhodium NCF Outlet