Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Tubes educte me please

I'm about to buy a tube pre amp. It will be my first ever endeavor into tube amplification.

As far as I can tell it has 3 tubes, ECC81, ECC83 and ECC88.
    (ECC83, 12AX7) is the Input Tube. Please use Low Noise Tubes of high quality with matched systems.
    (ECC81, 12AT7) is for the Main Amplification Stage.
    (ECC88, 6922, 6N23, 6N1,) is for the Output Buffer.

Are these uncommon hard to get or are they regular mass produced tubes?

Also contemplating a tube power amp. It comes as far as I can tell with the following tubes

4 KT120
    1 6SN7 driver
    2 ECC82 (E82CC, 12UA7A, 5814, 6189) driver

So what can people tell me.

I know nothing about tubes. How long will they last, what can I expect?

Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Re: Tubes educte me please

All those tubes are as common as it gets. Endless options for new and NOS.

As stated, all tubes are readily available. As for how long they will last -- many years. 3-5 even 10 years are not uncommon in preamplifiers. Amplifiers are a little harder on tubes, in particular the power tubes. But even then you can expect many years of trouble free operation with most equipment.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

Audioshark

Very common. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

The little tubes usually last for what seems like forever. Current production tubes are good but not great IMO. Vintage tubes on the other hand sure have some 'house sounds' that are not available today. ex Mullard is a very warm sounding tube where GEC is very linear Telefunkens are somewhere in the middle. Those are just the 3 most notable big names. Rca - GE - Sylvania are some others.

That said with the X3's you want a more linear sound. Imaging - soundstage and depth will also vary between the manufacturers. It's best to try them for yourself. Unfortunately there are no tube lending service that I have ever heard about.
    George

Aavik U300 - Borresen 03 with optional Supreme D-TC feet - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz Supreme D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

Quote Originally Posted by octadyndude View Post
    The little tubes usually last for what seems like forever. Current production tubes are good but not great IMO. Vintage tubes on the other hand sure have some 'house sounds' that are not available today. ex Mullard is a very warm sounding tube where GEC is very linear Telefunkens are somewhere in the middle. Those are just the 3 most notable big names. Rca - GE - Sylvania are some others.

That said with the X3's you want a more linear sound. Imaging - soundstage and depth will also vary between the manufacturers. It's best to try them for yourself. Unfortunately there are no tube lending service that I have ever heard about.
    It will be a while before I need replacement tubes I hope. I’ve heard good things about EAT tubes but they are rare and expensive.

But first other priorities, like a Finite Element Tragwerk audio racks for my power amps and another for the rest of my system.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

For sure try some NOS tubes, many sound much better than today's tubes. There are plenty of great sounding ECC88 and 6922 NOS tubes from the late 1950's and early 1960's. I prefer the non A frame Telefunkens from about 1957-1962, but beware of fakes. For the 12AX7's if you can find a good pair of 1950's Raytheon Black Plate tubes with the shiny long black plates, they are just fabulously musical with good detail.

If your preamp is new, then it may sound like crap the first 25-50 hours until all the tubes break in.

Don't drive yourself crazy too much if you decide to tube roll!

Larry
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

When I had the Octave V70se I tried EAT KT88 Diamonds. I bought a quad - pair and a spare (all pre owned). Within 45 days I lost 4. That said they all were pretty early s/n's too. Later a tube guru told me the EAT's were designed to run with a 450V plate voltage and the V70se runs at 540V. They had a hard time holding bias. As I remember they were highly detailed and not really a good match for my Dynaudio C1's. I'm sure they would sound great with Raidho's but at that time I was down to 3 good ones and one flaky one.
    George

Aavik U300 - Borresen 03 with optional Supreme D-TC feet - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz Supreme D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

Forgot to mention I also had KR Audio enterprise KT88's that look identical to the EAT's except for the S/N up at the mica. Lost 2 of those within 60 days.
    George

Audioshark

Forgot to mention I also had KR Audio enterprise KT88's that look identical to the EAT's except for the S/N up at the mica. Lost 2 of those within 60 days.
    Damn! Seriously? I just got a box of those. Ugh.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Damn! Seriously? I just got a box of those. Ugh.

Mine were at about 5 years ago. They may have improved them. If I remember correctly Eat had a good warranty compared to others.

Mike did you get the KR Audio or the EAT??
    George

When I had the Octave V70se I tried EAT KT88 Diamonds. I bought a quad - pair and a spare (all pre owned). Within 45 days I lost 4. That said they all were pretty early s/n's too. Later a tube guru told me the EAT's were designed to run with a 450V plate voltage and the V70se runs at 540V. They had a hard time holding bias. As I remember they were highly detailed and not really a good match for my Dynaudio C1's. I'm sure they would sound great with Raidho's but at that time I was down to 3 good ones and one flaky one.
    Yes some years back now a friend of mine bought a batch of EAT power tubes-- they nearly all failed or were faulty-- EAT argued and no resolution was reached.

My friend lost out big time-- I'd avoid EAT tubes frankly--or at your peril.

Bruce

In terms of tubes isn't EAT just a re-brander and re-seller like Richardson and National were in the 70-80's? Buy low in bulk and sell high.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Dear Mordante: I have owned a tube preamp since 1992. It utilizes 12AX7’s, 12AU7’s, 12FQ7’s (sorry I gave the brand away) and 6x4 rectifiers. I continue to love this preamp and feel an upgrade would be costly and over my budget. But the “best” tube for any system is highly component dependent. When you own tube equipment getting acclimated to a tube brand is only scratching the surface. You will also discover what tube brand works best for what tube position as the same tube type may be used differently in the circuit. For example, when my preamp gets noisy it is almost always the 12AU7’s fault. My preamp taxes the 12AU7 so much, many do not work in the curcuit at all. Once I was flabergasted as a rectifier tube 6x4 was slowly contributing distortion into the system. And NOS tubes are becoming prohibitively expensive as they become more and more rare. And I can bet dollars to donuts your beloved brand will “go away’” some day soon. Maybe even that tube type! Egads !!! Be prepared to have a closet full of tubes which mostly don’t work that great in your system. You just keep buying them over and over. Also be aware that there will be times you will hate your system since tubes deteriorate slowly over time. You don’t like what you hear but don’t always connect it to tube wear. In the end, I feel there is no tube component that cannot be matched by a solid state one. Solid state can sound so good and has become so reliable I would never advise someone to go tube over solid state. For endless tinkerers, yes. But if consistant great sound is your goal skip the tube thing. If you do your research and attain a great match, every time you turn on your system it will sound the same.

PS: If you prefer not to use your valued component as a ‘tube tester’, it’s best to get yourself one. Good tube testers do not come cheap. You would be supprised how many tubes don’t work out of the box.
    == Joe ==

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph R. View Post
    Dear Mordante: I have owned a tube preamp since 1992. It utilizes 12AX7’s, 12AU7’s, 12FQ7’s (sorry I gave the brand away) and 6x4 rectifiers. I continue to love this preamp and feel an upgrade would be costly and over my budget. But the “best” tube for any system is highly component dependent. When you own tube equipment getting acclimated to a tube brand is only scratching the surface. You will also discover what tube brand works best for what tube position as the same tube type may be used differently in the circuit. For example, when my preamp gets noisy it is almost always the 12AU7’s fault. My preamp taxes the 12AU7 so much, many do not work in the curcuit at all. Once I was flabergasted as a rectifier tube 6x4 was slowly contributing distortion into the system. And NOS tubes are becoming prohibitively expensive as they become more and more rare. And I can bet dollars to donuts your beloved brand will “go away’” some day soon. Maybe even that tube type! Egads !!! Be prepared to have a closet full of tubes which mostly don’t work that great in your system. You just keep buying them over and over. Also be aware that there will be times you will hate your system since tubes deteriorate slowly over time. You don’t like what you hear but don’t always connect it to tube wear. In the end, I feel there is no tube component that cannot be matched by a solid state one. Solid state can sound so good and has become so reliable I would never advise someone to go tube over solid state. For endless tinkerers, yes. But if consistant great sound is your goal skip the tube thing. If you do your research and attain a great match, every time you turn on your system it will sound the same.

PS: If you prefer not to use your valued component as a ‘tube tester’, it’s best to get yourself one. Good tube testers do not come cheap. You would be supprised how many tubes don’t work out of the box.
    I will not join the NOS tube merry go round. When it's time to replace the tubes I'll buy new tubes. All the tubes in my amps are still in production.

How can you tell when tubes go bad? In the pre amp I have 4 tubes two ECC88, ECC83 and ECC81. These should be good for many years of use. In each power amp 4 KT120, wto ECC82 and one 6SN7.

All of these are in production. So I don't foresee problems.

If you don't want to the quality of vintage, go ahead and buy the new stuff. SQ will suffer, but hey, its your call.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    If you don't want to the quality of vintage, go ahead and buy the new stuff. SQ will suffer, but hey, its your call.
    SQ will not suffer when I replace new production tubes with new production tubes. Besides that, buying NOS tubes is a crap shoot you never know what you get, how it will sound and if you will ever be able to replace them. Besides that from what I read is that many NOS tubes give a midrange bloom and rolled of highs. That is definitely not the sound I'm looking for.

Also there are no KT120 NOS tubes. I only know of two companies that make these.

You can tell when a tube is going bad if a channel becomes noisy. You may hear microphonics, static or distorted sound depending upon how bad they are.

I agree, NOS tubes can be a merry go round. I use to tube roll quite a bit. You can drive yourself crazy. I sold off most of my NOS 6CG7's and 6DJ8's.

However, not all NOS tubes add bloom and have rolled off highs. Some do, some don't. I found many to have just as much detail if not better without sounding harsh. Many are more musical, have better bass and smoother highs. There can be great differences among NOS tubes. I tried about a dozen versions of the 6CG7's and they all sounded remarkably different. Same for the 6DJ8's and ECC88, 6922's.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordante View Post
    SQ will not suffer when I replace new production tubes with new production tubes. Besides that, buying NOS tubes is a crap shoot you never know what you get, how it will sound and if you will ever be able to replace them. Besides that from what I read is that many NOS tubes give a midrange bloom and rolled of highs. That is definitely not the sound I'm looking for.

Also there are no KT120 NOS tubes. I only know of two companies that make these.
    Lol

U started this thread asking questions and now you are lecturing? ROTFLMAO

Carry on, I am out.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Lol

U started this thread asking questions and now you are lecturing? ROTFLMAO

Carry on, I am out.
    Suffer means it becomes worse then it is. That is not the case if I replace them with the same tube. In that case the SQ does not suffer, it stays the same. Besides that, show me where I can buy vintage KT120 tubes. Since the power amp tubes are as fare as I know the first to go. They will be replaced first.

Or am I missing something?

It all degrades over time. Capacitors fail, resistors drift, connections corrode and yes tubes wear out.
    I have 90 year old tubes (2A3 & 45's) that work just fine. On the other hand I purchased a new production pair of quality 300B's and when I received them one would sputter and had to be returned.
    If you have a fear of tube failure, stay away from them.
    If you like new production tubes then buy them.
    Each to their own.
    No one system or component or tube or whatever is "THE" one
    Relax and enjoy the music.
    Use what you like in your system.
    You are the only one that you need to satisfy.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Tubes educte me please