Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Banned

Stereophile Recommended Components: Fall 2018 Edition

Re: Stereophile Recommended Components: Fall 2018 Edition

Thanks Joe. Always enjoy looking at the list.

Unfortunate that the list seems somewhat stagnant. Also, it includes hardware that has been discontinued - e.g. VPI Direct Classic, VPI HRX and VPI Classic 3.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Well, they did put a piece of Schiit on there

I like the recommended list as long as my Vandy 7 amps and speakers remain on it. I got annoyed with them when they removed the Revel Salon 2’s, an all-time great speaker.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    Well, they did put a piece of Schiit on there
    LMAO!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Does anyone care about that list?
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

That list is sure getting very stagnant...…
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

IMO the list is becoming less and less relevant. Still enjoy reading the Stereophile though.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

I have to agree with these brilliant posters, list is becoming less and less relevant and stagnant...…
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

As with the “Absolute Joke” all the issues are becoming “recommended components”. Sure beats writing new stuff every time. Renewed both subscriptions and sorry I did. My bad.....
    == Joe ==

Quote Originally Posted by Mordante View Post
    Does anyone care about that list?
    Sure, or they wouldn't print it. It does give you a nice starting point if you're looking to upgrade a certain component.
    Speakers- Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II, Amp - Pass Labs X150.5, Preamp - McIntosh C2600, Turntable - Music Hall MMF-9.3, Cartridge - Goldring Eroica LX, Phono PreAmp - Sutherland Insight, Digital Playback - Rotel RCD-1072, DAC - Bryston BDA-3, Headphones - Sennheiser HD-660S, and Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX. Headphone Amp - Bryston BHA-1

At the risk of giving away my age, no component listing comes close to the annual “Audio” mag listing. I also enjoyed the “Stereo Review” listing before “Audio” was arround. In my book Julian Hirsch and Len Feldman were the best. The problem with Stereophile is they only list what they reviewed. The newbe would miss out on lots of great gear if they only considered what Stereophile reviewed. Terrific jumping off points like Rotel, Creek, Boston Acoustics and Totem. I have recommended some great non-audiophile systems with Rotel. It is so reliable, friends still have the same Rotel components 30 years later. Guess what? Stereophile is not the last word by far.
    == Joe ==

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph R. View Post
    At the risk of giving away my age, no component listing comes close to the annual “Audio” mag listing. I also enjoyed the “Stereo Review” listing before “Audio” was arround. In my book Julian Hirsch and Len Feldman were the best. The problem with Stereophile is they only list what they reviewed. The newbe would miss out on lots of great gear if they only considered what Stereophile reviewed. Terrific jumping off points like Rotel, Creek, Boston Acoustics and Totem. I have recommended some great non-audiophile systems with Rotel. It is so reliable, friends still have the same Rotel components 30 years later. Guess what? Stereophile is not the last word by far.
    They do only list what they've reviewed, but it is hard to recommend something that you haven't listened to and they do spend alot of time reviewing gear. Sure Stereophile isn't the last word, but it is a word. A voice for the guy who doesn't have that brick and morter shop to go to and listen for himself. My last few pieces of gear I've bought without listening to them. I've read the reviews and talked online to owners of the gear I'm interested in. I believe that 2 of my components are or were on Stereophile's recommended components at one time on another, so I also believe it's not the end all and do all of stereo gear.
    Speakers- Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II, Amp - Pass Labs X150.5, Preamp - McIntosh C2600, Turntable - Music Hall MMF-9.3, Cartridge - Goldring Eroica LX, Phono PreAmp - Sutherland Insight, Digital Playback - Rotel RCD-1072, DAC - Bryston BDA-3, Headphones - Sennheiser HD-660S, and Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX. Headphone Amp - Bryston BHA-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    , so I also believe it's not the end all and do all of stereo gear.
    Jack: I am in agreement with your take on the lack of brick and mortar audio stores. And I often hear gear at friends homes to determine what I may buy in the future. But I have been noticing lately that manufacturers that normally do not advertise in Stereophile, have full page adds in the issues in which their review appears. Stereophile looses points with me in the credibility department when I see this. In speaking with some manufacturers, they have expressed either they advertise or their gear does not get reviewed. I mostly use audio shows to hear equipment. I try mostly to buy equipment with a return policy of some sort. Most stuff I do return.
    == Joe ==

I'm big on return policies also. Lately I've done a lot of business with companies that take my old gear in trade and that's worked out well.

Now you mention manufacturers that advertise only when their gear is reviewed. Do they pay to have their gear reviewed? I was wondering how that whole thing worked.

Audioshark

I don’t believe any manufacturer pays for a review. I believe they request their product be reviewed or a reviewer may hear an interesting new piece at a show and ask to review it.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I don’t believe any manufacturer pays for a review. I believe they request their product be reviewed or a reviewer may hear an interesting new piece at a show and ask to review it.
    That's the way I understand it.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

I too have never heard payola was involved. But I have heard from manufacturer’s that they felt pressure to buy add copy when up for a review. When I asked a few manufacturer’s why they were never considered for a Stereophile review, their response was “they cannot afford to advertise”.

Looking at it from another point if view, how can Stereophile give an unfavorable review to a company who consistantly purchases pages of advertising space ? Kind of like cutting off your nose....

In my humble opinion (for what it’s worth), that is why the overwhelming amount of reviews are favorable. Look back to the J. Gordon Holt days and you can see the different balance of reviews. Why does Stereophile give some manufacturers a second chance to deliver a faulty component but not to others ? In the recent Audio Research amplifier review the Dan D’Agostino amplifier clearly outperformed the AR. The review then became a review of both the AR preamp mating with the AR power amplifier. Of course the Dan D’Agostino power amp did not have the same synergy as the AR pair. What gives ?
    == Joe ==

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    That's the way I understand it.
    Well call me a cynic.

There are ways of paying without paying. There are "extended loans" to reviewers. Rather not name names but I went through this with one reviewer years ago who had many "extended loans" of equipment that lasted for the life cycle of the equipment. Not just speakers either; but many products. Look at some of the equipment these reviewers have if they list what they have in their "reviewing studios", often nothing more than a room filled with garbage.

Then there are the dinners, paying to go the factories, etc.

Then of course, I don't buy the coincidence of the biggest, best and most often run ads are those from those products that have provided all the perks I list above receiving the BEST EVER reviews.

Those who have been into this as long as me (since 81) have witnessed it from the beginning of the high end.

These Golden Ear Reviews, Recommended Components, etc to me really have limited value, other than enjoyment. As it pertains to Stereophile, I no longer even look to see what is listed as, from my perch, that part of the magazine is nothing but a filler, often outdated, with barely a justification of it's classification an often no real review. Another gimmick to me are these "Best In Show". Amazing how these reviewers all list the same equipment, albeit in different order usually totally contrary to what most people in attendance hear.

Just to drive a point home, at Munich, one reviewer gave "The Most Coveted" product at the show, the D'Agostino Relentless amplifier, even though the thing wasn't hooked up to anything and had never been heard by anyone. My questions as to "why" went unanswered.

As I said, I am a cynic, put almost no trust in what these reviewers write but admit I do subscribe to most of them to look at the new and old toys to see what is coming to market.

It's sad that "printed" lists are viewed as less reliable than something on the web. I pity future generations of audiophiles.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

To me one thing that sets Stereophile apart from most other publications is that they publish fairly comprehensive measurements of most reviewed products, and in a significant number of the reviews I've read, the measurements diverge from the reviewer's perception. This can be a valuable data point.

Quote Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post
    Well call me a cynic.
    Another gimmick to me are these "Best In Show". Amazing how these reviewers all list the same equipment, albeit in different order usually totally contrary to what most people in attendance hear.

Just to drive a point home, at Munich, one reviewer gave "The Most Coveted" product at the show, the D'Agostino Relentless amplifier, even though the thing wasn't hooked up to anything and had never been heard by anyone. My questions as to "why" went unanswered.

As I said, I am a cynic, put almost no trust in what these reviewers write but admit I do subscribe to most of them to look at the new and old toys to see what is coming to market.
    Yes the measurements add some credibility to the mag, but I am not quite sure how competent of an engineer John Atkinson is. At times it seems Stereophile is one mind. I guess John Atkinson keeps them all drinking from the same trough.

From my standpoint, Priaptor, I don’t think your a cynic at all. Sounds to me you “calls them as you sees them”. Inside viewpoints are always appreciated. By me at least.
    == Joe ==

Well call me a cynic.

Oh, come on there is a difference in coveting something and having any experience with it. There are numerous super cars I covet even though I have never driven them. That is why you question went unanswered.
    Jim

Duplicate
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    It's sad that "printed" lists are viewed as less reliable than something on the web. I pity future generations of audiophiles.
    Jim.......Yeah right, I read it in a magazine or newspaper so it must be true. I saw it on TV is in the same boat. .

The point I'm trying to make is nothing beats a personal hands-on experience. If you haven't had direct experience with anything, and your only proof source is someone else's opinion printed in a magazine, or even by word of mouth, then you essentially have no experience with said item.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    Jim.......Yeah right, I read it in a magazine or newspaper so it must be true. I saw it on TV is in the same boat. .

The point I'm trying to make is nothing beats a personal hands-on experience. If you haven't had direct experience with anything, and your only proof source is someone else's opinion printed in a magazine, or even by word of mouth, then you essentially have no experience with said item.
    Dan
    And until you have experience with more than just that item you still cannot have a valid opinion as to whether it is good, bad or mediocre.
    Jim

Dan
    And until you have experience with more than just that item you still cannot have a valid opinion as to whether it is good, bad or mediocre.
    Jim.......I agree.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Audioshark

Jim/Dan - it horrifies me that people are putting so much credibility in some nameless guy on Audiogon or a self-proclaimed reviewer WITH NO SYSTEM, but lots of excuses. There is no substitute for auditioning stuff for yourself. Nothing worth doing comes easy. Get off your butts and go audition. If it means spending $300 on a plane ticket, then so be it.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Oh, come on there is a difference in coveting something and having any experience with it. There are numerous super cars I covet even though I have never driven them. That is why you question went unanswered.
    Big difference in your example.

A car is driven, maybe not by you but by the reviewer and why one may covet it.

An amplifier needs to be heard to judge its performance like a car needs to be driven. To covet something that had never been turned on blows a hole in your comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Jim/Dan - it horrifies me that people are putting so much credibility in some nameless guy on Audiogon or a self-proclaimed reviewer WITH NO SYSTEM, but lots of excuses. There is no substitute for auditioning stuff for yourself. Nothing worth doing comes easy. Get off your butts and go audition. If it means spending $300 on a plane ticket, then so be it.
    Agreed. I can’t tell you how many components and/or speakers I have coveted until I finally heard them myself. I guess that’s what advertising is suppose to do. But a $300 plane ride or an extensive road trip is a small price to pay to purchase any high end gear. I personally live many years with my high end purchases. I cannot afford to make a mistake. I have asked opinions of some well respected developers (like Ted Smith) along the way. But the deciding factor must be my ears. Come to think of it, besides the Bose 901’s (big mistake) I don’t think any purchases I’ve made were ever “recommeded” by any audio magazine.
    == Joe ==

An amplifier needs to be heard to judge its performance like a car needs to be driven. To covet something that had never been turned on blows a hole in your comparison.
    You are incorrect. The definition of covet is to yearn or want something you don't have. There is no requirement that the item functions exceptionally. A lot of people covet very expensive mechanical or automatic watches that do not keep time as well as a $75 Casio that syncs with atomic clocks. They do it because they are beautiful and relatively rare.
    Jim

Doesn’t the ninth and tenth commandments say ‘thou shalt not covet...”. Come on guys it’s aganst natural law !!!
    == Joe ==

The whole concept of most coveted component seems pretty silly to me. Especially if it was a static display. I mean, what’s the point? I saw the Magico M6 static display at RMAF last year. The sign should have said “World’s Largest Bookends”.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    The whole concept of most coveted component seems pretty silly to me. Especially if it was a static display. I mean, what’s the point? I saw the Magico M6 static display at RMAF last year. The sign should have said World’s Largest Bookends.

Ken
    Ken,

Exactly my point. What is the point other than to show your bias by making such an absurd claim.

I think there is a growth curve in high end audio as most of us are both into the music as well as the gadgetry. We begin (especially in the early days of Harry Pearson) being guided by those we think are honest and providing a legitimate opinion. Many of us get burned following the Pied Piper and with time, as Mike pointed out, learn to listen for ourselves and spend the time and effort. The early phase leads to the second phase of making up your own mind, but looking to "recommended components" or some other nonsense list for confirmation bias. The last phase which is the healthiest is to purchase a system YOU are happy with regardless of what the choir sings.

Not picking on Magico here, but using it as an illustration. When buyers/reviewers/forums/your dealer claim something like the M3/M6 is the greatest thing in the world, the best they ever heard, the best speaker ever, it is hard to state they are not your however it gets much easier as you grow in this hobby.

We all want validation for our purchases in life. I"ts fun to see our own gear on there and when it's not, it's fun to bitch about it. It's become all about politics etc.. as to what they will review. Heck, I own Vandesteen, Ayre and Audioquest. All gear that is on their outdated lists and all gear that advertises with them lol.

If anyone thinks they can just use a list or word of mouth to purchase gear, then they are nuts. what will it sound like in your own system is more important. I have to hear gear in order to purchase or if I purchase I need to know that I can send it back if I don't like it in my room. Some dealers will work with you. This is the biggest reason I will only work with dealers or at least a company that knows me, my ear and the rest of my system.

Fun to read and nothing else for me. They are trying to get clicks and sell scripts.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20
    The Memory Player with built in DAC and headphone amp built in on order
    AQ Niagara 1000 power device
    Audioquest William Tell bi wire speaker cable
    Wireworld 8 optical cable into the Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh from the TV and Blueray to reclock
    Wireworld Platnium 8 ethernet cables into the EMO 70e ethernet filter into The Memory Player from Eero mesh router
    All routers, cable box and synchro mesh powered by the Wyred4sound LPS box with separate supplies for each
    Audioquest power outlets and four dedicated power lines in the room
    ZMF Ori headphones with the Audioarts 15' Pono balanced cable for the QX5/20
    Empire Ears Phantom CIEM's
    Rhapsodio 2.98 mk2 gold plated silver cable for Phantom

What I find strange in the “recommended components” are the negative comments. Like “josh thinks they are less articulate in the bass” or “it is a bit lacking in upper extension”. Who is going to consider a purchase of the component after that? If you find the reviewer credible than the recommended component listing has valuable to you. Otherwise it makes great kindling.
    == Joe ==

You are incorrect. The definition of covet is to yearn or want something you don't have. There is no requirement that the item functions exceptionally. A lot of people covet very expensive mechanical or automatic watches that do not keep time as well as a $75 Casio that syncs with atomic clocks. They do it because they are beautiful and relatively rare.
    Ok I'm "incorrect" with an emphasis on "incorrect".

You are taking the "coveting" out of context of how it was used. It was used by Harley, in his evaluation of "best of Munich" where he listed most coveted, for an "audio" product that had never been turned on and I think wasn't even operational. In that context it is an absurd and nonsensical claim. As to a watch, it is a different context and anyone who knows or has owned an expensive automatic watch, who covets them, is coveting something that is "functional" albeit as accurate as one's internal clock and hopes someday is collectable. Same goes for artwork and so many other things.

When it comes to an audio amplifier, that loses 50% of its value once purchased, no matter how gorgeous, unique, rare if it sounds like crap then in the world of high end audio it would hardly be "coveted" by anyone, even the most biased.

Now I see you have D'Agostino amps and trust me I have nothing against the brand so don't take it personal as I am not insulting D'Ag. In fact I had an extended trial of the S250 when Elliot of Bending Wave was auditioning SS amps for his Gobels and I have to say I loved it; one of my favorites. I haven't been into SS for a long time and the S250 threw me for a loop as it was so good and convinced me to give SS another try as my last was years ago and it just didn't push my button; the first Constellation Stereo amp with Magico Q1.

In the context of what I am referring to, a product that will NEVER be a collectible, is not artwork no matter how beautifully it may look its only true value is how it sounds. For a reviewer to claim it is the most coveted product at the show when it was never turned on, not even operational comparing it thousands of other amazing products that are being displayed and listened to, IMHO, is biased and absurd, even if the reviewer didn't believe he was doing that. These kinds of statements by reviewers, IMHO, mitigates the effectiveness and veracity of what these guys write. But that is my take.

Plenty of cars are coveted long before they are driven by a reviewer. Witness the hype surrounding the return of the Toyota Supra. It’s funny to watch, because as more information is released about the car, the level of excitement for its release appears to be dying down.

I would also also say that the auto press is the last group that should be emulated by the audiophile press. Every issue, either real or supposed, that exists in the audiophile press is amplified in the auto press. Payola, luxury travel, gifts for reviewers, etc. are all well documented. The whole industry is a farce.

As as for audio reviewers, like everyone I have those that I trust and those that I do not. And I will freely admit that a lot of that trust is based on how they act in public and in online forums like this one. I feel like you see their true colors there.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Stereophile Recommended Components: Fall 2018 Edition