Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lumin U1MINI

Re: Lumin U1MINI

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    But.. the U1 (not the mini) can do it! Right? (The DSD files... I suppose are "only" the 20% of the common PCM listening... why do not offer the PCM only?)
    No, currently none of the Lumin products can output phase inverted digital signal. (They can only output phase inverted analog signal if desired.)

If a setting only works 80% of the time and fails for the other 20%, some may consider this to be a defect.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Sorry, I didn't explain myself well.
    I have assumed that only 20% of the files are DSD while all the rest is PCM.
    I therefore thought that the "filter" (inverting the phase) could have the option valid only for the PCM leaving the DSD flow unchanged.

I understood what you said. The problem is, people will then ask why PCM can be phase inverted but DSD cannot be. Having PCM and DSD play in opposite phases add confusion, since many people's libraries contain both PCM and DSD music. There are also users who upsample the PCM to DSD before sending the digital signal to DSD-only DAC (e.g. some configurations of LampizatOr), so a PCM-only invert phase function is useless to them.

To do digital invert phase, please consider using Roon.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    I understood what you said. The problem is, people will then ask why PCM can be phase inverted but DSD cannot be.
    It's a democracy reign! 80 is motre than 20.
    But... "step by step" could be another good answer.
    I'm waiting the PCM!

Luca

..and if you have this feature ready for PCM only, then... you can not keep it into a "secret"!
    C'mon... there should be an option to enlight it ON or OFF.
    DEMOCRATIC option. (Call it "killer option")

Anyone played around with BNC out cables to see if they make a big difference on this? I'm using the Nordost Silver Shadow and thought it was good until I purchased 2 more for between my MScaler and Chord DAVE DAC and they were so poor sounding I switched back to the stock Chord supplied dual BNC cables. Tx!
    LUMIN U1 Mini, Chord DAVE, Chord MScaler, SR Galileo BNCs, Wireworld Starlight Cat 8, AQ Cinnamon Cat 6 Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Ethernet CAT6, Synergistic Research Galileo UEF Blue Fuse Treated SC, SR L4IC, Shunyata Sigma NR PCs, Shunyata Denali 6000S v2 conditioner, Shunyata EF PC, Magico S3Mk2, Gryphon Diablo 300, Furutech GTX & Oyaide SWO outlets driven by dedicated 30A homerun 10gauge AC lines wired according to MSB Technologies best practices for wiring your house for best power: http://www.msbtechnology.com/faq/how...or-good-power/.

FYI only. Over at www.head-fi.org I think there are discussions of experiments of adding (many!) ferrite rings to BNC cable for Chord products.

Rob Watts mentioned this:
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chor...#post-13881243

Note that the linked ferrite is intended for BNC, not for USB cable (since people were discussing multiple things at the same time.)
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

First post. Long time reader but never registered.

Wanted to thank @Mike from SunCoast Audio for helping me acquire a new U1 Mini recently.

For U1 Mini owners who are going back-and-forth between all the connection options, I found USB to be better than S/PDIF Coax or Toslink into an RME ADI-2 DAC or Oppo 205. Since I don’t have an AES/EBU XLR connection to any of my DACs, I can’t speak to that connector. But, I found on some songs the S/PDIF coax and optical connections had an obvious and unpleasant digitalis and brittleness to the high mids, that was not present on the USB output. But that may be the low burn-in time. Regardless, out of the box, the USB from the U1 Mini to the RME ADI-2 DAC, driving headphones (Focal Utopia and Sony MDR-Z1R [the latter with hardware parametric EQ settings in the DAC to fix some design flaws]) is absolutely stunning!

As a head-fi guy, my stack is very modest (not having to buy expensive speakers and amps), and the U1 Mini fit right in. I’m so impressed with the USB output, but I wonder if I’m missing out (after some major burn in) on the AES/EBU output. From what I have read @wklie says to try AES and USB and see what you like the best. Anyone have experience trying out both of those options? Maybe I need a new DAC ;-) with native AES/EBU capabilities.

Cheers,
    M1K3

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum M1K3.

So sorry it took so long to approve you. My mistake.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

No worries! Thanks for the warm welcome.

Audioshark

Re: Lumin U1 MINI

Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Can you connect an SSD to Lumin U1 MINI and if so can you use one USB port as input and the other one as output at the same time?

Only if your SSD does not require more than 0.5A. When using both USB storage and USB output, playback of high sample rate music may not be fast enough.

The preferred method is to connect the USB storage to a NAS or computer running MinimServer.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Peter

Would a powered hub for the SSD solve the power problem?
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Probably, but we never tested it. Then there is the question of whether the wall wart for the hub would affect SQ...
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Peter, I plan on the U1 since I have a great DAC. I have the Wavelet (DSP) from Legacy Audio that recommends the USB mini digital input for highest quality input.

Question: Is Lumin’s philosophy on their products that has USB output to utilize it before the other SPIDIF outputs?

Thanks
    Andre

Peter, I plan on the U1 since I have a great DAC. I have the Wavelet (DSP) from Legacy Audio that recommends the USB mini digital input for highest quality input.

Question: Is Lumin’s philosophy on their products that has USB output to utilize it before the other SPIDIF outputs?

Thanks
    Andre

Hi, just a quick OT, if Ot is:

I want to lend my U1 mini to a friend for a few days: how can I not lose all my playlists?(If I hit "reset factory" ... that's what awaits me!)

Thanks!
    Luca

Please save your current playlist.

The saved playlists reside in your iPad. Unless you're lending the iPad away too, the saved playlists are not affected by lending the Lumin hardware. To be safe, please make sure you have iCloud enabled for Lumin app. This way they are backed up and can be synced to multiple iOS devices.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Super Moderator

Welcome Andre

Quote Originally Posted by TheGiant View Post

Thanks
    Andre
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossb View Post
    I have just taken delivery of a Lumin U1 Mini. It replaces an Ultrarendu and Singxer SU6, both with linear PSUs. The Ultrarendu in turn replaced an SOTM trifecta.

Cold and straight out of the box, the U1 Mini is a small but noticeable improvement over the Ultrarendu/Singxer. I had both plugged directly into my Chord M Scaler and TT2, so I could switch between them to compare. I tried toslink, BNC and USB, although mainly use toslink since this sounds best in my DAC.

The difference is small, but the U1 Mini removes a small amount of “haze” around voices and instruments, and the background is just a little blacker and cleaner. I am hoping that difference increases with burn in.

Of course I am immediately thinking of replacing the internal SMPS with a linear PSU. But it sounds great as it is, and I like the idea of a single box (one reason I decided to replace my 4 boxes with the Mini), so may have to resist the idea unless there is evidence it is a real improvement.

It’s early days but so far I am very happy with the U1 Mini.
    Hi Rossb, I am currently using the LUMIN D2 and recently bought an external DAC to improve the SQ. So I am planning to replace the D2 with a network transport/render. My friend suggested me to go get the Ultrarendu as the transport with the UpTone LPS. But I have been hesitating whether I should stick with the LUMIN U1 mini instead. I never have any experience on using the Sonore products. As I saw you mentioned that you used ultrarendu before but now plan to replace it with the LUMIN U1 mini, therefore do you mind to share what make you give up on ultrarendu and pick the U1 mini instead? What’s aspect make you think U1 mini can outperform the Ultrarendu. Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheGiant View Post
    Not really. We have so many types of outputs (USB / AES / BNC / RCA / toslink) so that users can use the type that's best for the particular DAC / system / requirements / preferences.

For DSD64 it often requires USB, since not all DAC supports DoP over SPDIF. DSD128 and above always requires USB.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hi Peter, I would like to know when comparing the U1 mini and U1; besides the external PSU on U1. What else are different in between the U1 and U1 mini, it stated it has a clock inside, are they both share the same clock? I am still considering if I should go for U1 or U1 mini, not sure if the technology on U1 is a bit outdated when compare to U1 mini as U1 has been out in the market for a few years already. Hope you can share your expertises idea for my reference. Many thanks

U1 MINI is a cost down version of U1, with three differences: LPS vs SMPS, heavy aluminium chassis, and DSD512 vs DSD256.

They use the same clocks.

Note: DSD512 and native DSD256 are meant for Linux native DSD compatible DAC only.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

U1 MINI is a cost down version of U1, with three differences: LPS vs SMPS, heavy aluminium chassis, and DSD512 vs DSD256.
    What about "polarity phase (reversal)"? Is it possible via software?

What about "polarity phase (reversal)"? Is it possible via software?
    Not supported for digital outputs.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Not supported for digital outputs.
    So, this, is intented for USB output only?
    Version 2.03 (Apr 12, 2013)

Enhancements and fixes:

• Added Invert Phase control

So, this, is intented for USB output only?

Enhancements and fixes:

As Peter stated phase inversion is not supported for digital outputs, so it would only be applicable for analog outputs (which are not on the U1 or U1 Mini transport models.)

Enhancements and fixes:

For analog outputs.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

LEEDH PROCESSING.
    Could explain a little how this system works.
    I do not understand that if Lumin is at maximum volume this does not work.

Quote Originally Posted by fguinaldo View Post
    LEEDH PROCESSING.
    Could explain a little how this system works.
    I do not understand that if Lumin is at maximum volume this does not work.
    Hi there.

Digital volume control algorithms are used to attenuate volume. When LUMIN is at 100% (assuming you don't have a max limit set), there is no attenuation needed, so no algorithm is required.

At anywhere <100% the default volume reduction algorithm is now Leedh Processing, but if you turn Leedh off, then it will use the original volume control algorithm.

Please read this page for some more info: LUMIN - Leedh Processing
    We also have a bit of info regarding volume and Max Volume on here: LUMIN - Settings
    [Associated with LUMIN]

Hello this is my first post.

Just recently purchased U1 mini and waiting for delivery. Just want to ask what is the best/preffered way to connect my Hegel H390 int amp to Lumin U1 mini digital out for best SQ reproduction? USB or COAX RCA?
    Thank you for any response.

This is setup dependent, please try both (when doing Coax test, please disconnect USB, and vice-versa) and see which sounds better to you after you've burned-in the U1 MINI for at least several days.

If you need to play DSD128, then you have no choice but to use USB.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hi Peter, somehow I found there is lagging while using the Lumin app in iPhone but not in iPad. When I load up the playlist, it loaded the song like one by one instead take only a few secs to finish loading the song list. Do you know is it due to the iPhone and. iPad issue?

Quote Originally Posted by hatateru View Post
    Hi Peter, somehow I found there is lagging while using the Lumin app in iPhone but not in iPad. When I load up the playlist, it loaded the song like one by one instead take only a few secs to finish loading the song list. Do you know is it due to the iPhone and. iPad issue?
    Please set different SSID (name) for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz in the WiFi router. In the iPhone, change the WiFi to use the 5GHz SSID. See if this works better.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hello,

I'm looking to replace my Macbook pro with Lumin U1 mini to feed my DAC (Playback Designs MPS-3). Has anyone tried Mutec MC-3+usb with U1 mini with good result?

Although I have not received report of using Lumin with Mutec MC-3+USB, the U1 (MINI) firmware should recognize MC-3+USB and should be native DSD256 compatible.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thank you Peter.
    Seen U1 mini has several digital outputs, which one would be the best SQ as my DAC has USB, Coax, Aes/Ebu inputs.

This is setup dependent. Some people prefer AES, some people prefer USB. Note that only USB supports DSD128 and above.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hi Peter,

Is the U1mini compatible with the sonicTransporter, a Linux computer running minimserver? Would the sonicTransporter with attached USB drive work better than a NAS running minimserver?

Thank you!
    Jim
    ‐--‐-----‐------------‐----------------------------------------------------------
    Esoteric N-05xd, Luxman d08u, Gryphon Diablo-300, Revel Studio2

Conrad Johnson Premier15 phono, ART-2 pre, Premier8A mono, Lumin T2, VPI Classic3, Magnepan 3.7

Anything that can run MinimServer should be compatible. Personally I prefer a fanless setup. Given a choice between a fanless SonicTransporter and a normal NAS with fan, I prefer a fanless device. Given a choice between a fanless SonicTransporter and a fanless NAS such as HS-453DX, you may consider price, CPU, and other features that you may use. If you foresee the possibility of using Roon, then get the SonicTransporter instead of a Celeron-based NAS.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

@wklie

Hi Peter, the footers on U1 mini are screwed in or pasted into the chassis with tapes?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

They are screwed in

Hi dznuts,

Thanks for confirming that the stock footers are screwed in. Unfortunately for me, these stock footers are totally stuck and cannot be removed from chassis. I will have to position my other footers beside the stock footers instead.

The screws in the footers can be seen only after the rubber is peeled off.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

From Roon forum Lumin U1 mini transport - Lumin - Roon Labs Community

I’m happy to share the first impressions after 4-5h of listening with my new U1 Mini.
    The setup was simply U1 Mini > [USB] Chord Dave > Focal Utopia, more details at the bottom for the gear-heads like me.
    I compared this to the sound using my PC to stream music to the Dave via Optical (my favorite so far with Dave). To be honest I didn’t have big expectations considering the claimed “immunity” of Dave to jitter and, to some extent, to RF noise.

So I started the listening session with some electronic music (Rone, Mirapolis) and at first I thought “mmmh, ok, no difference really”, but wait… that bass on the U1 is so much fuller and defined. Ok, good, let’s try something with more instruments in it.
    With classic rock (The Rolling Stones, Blue & Lonesome and Rory Gallagher, Top Priority remastered 2017) the hints of a better sound continued: snappier bass, increased soundstage depth, definitely more realistic instrument reproduction.

But it’s with live music, especially with piano and guitar, that the U1 Mini really blew the PC out of the water.
    In Band of Horses’ “Acoustic at the Ryman”, with the Lumin each piano note felt richer, you could really tell there was “more music” in them, if that makes sense at all. I guess it might have something to do with a better transient reproduction or a lower noise floor.
    The U1 Mini also improved the feeling of space, and soundstage depth, as opposed to a flatter presentation of the PC.

Final result? More realism, no doubt. I found myself tapping with my hands on the desk more often, and this is a good sign!
    Bravo Lumin, well done, I like this.

Other gear details:
    Roon Core: NUC 10 i7 running as ROCK, with two SSDs (1 for OS, 1 for music storage)
    The U1 Mini gets the Ethernet signal from a Netgear GS108 switch, powered by an iFi iPower 12V
    Cables: stock power cable for Dave, Audioquest NRG X3 3ft for the U1 Mini, Norne Audio Draug Silver 5ft for the headphones, QED Reference USB 1m.
    All the power chords are connected to 3 x Opera Audio Consonance PW-1 Mains Filters
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Review by Australian Hi-Fi magazine:
    http://www.luminmusic.com/downloads/...i-Magazine.pdf
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Lumin U1MINI