Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Headphones for travel - noise cancelling or not?

I almost never use headphones, but I've been thinking it would be nice to have a good pair for travel (i.e. long airline flights). And if I'm going to have sound, I want it to be good sound, right?

I suspect that noise cancelling units are probably not ideal from a sound quality standpoint, but it seems like they would offer real benefits in terms of ambient noise rejection. Any experiences to share on that front? In-ear monitors may be another option, though I've never really had much success from a comfort standpoint. They'd definitely be easier to pack, though!

Any recommendations from the road warriors among us?
    Jeff

Main System
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N100H; Disc Player: Oppo UDP-205; DAC: Topping D90SE; Preamp: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; Power Amp: ATI AT542NC; Speakers: Focal Sopra No. 3; Cables: Wireworld, Kimber, Cullin; Power: Ansuz Mainz8 X-TC, PS Audio Dectet, Furutech outlets

Basement Media Room
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N100SC; Disc Player: Panasonic DB-UP9000; Surround Pre/Pro: Monoprice Monolith HTP-1; Power Amps: Apollon NC1200SL (custom 3-channel w/Sparkos SS2590 op amps), Apollon AS3600 6-channel; Speakers: Focal Kanta No. 3, Kanta Center, 300 ICW8 (x6); Subwoofer: Rythmik F18SE (x2); Cables: Wireworld, BlueJeans; Power: Torus RM20, Furman Elite 20PFi; Room Correction: Dirac Live w/ Bass Control; Video: Sony 77" A9G OLED

Re: Headphones for travel - noise cancelling or not?

Before I retired I travelled internationally weekly. I went thru a couple of iterations of Bose noice cancelling units before determining that they weren't worth the space and weight they consumed. I continue to just carry inexpensive in ear devices. I am not concerned about travel SQ.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

I bought a set of Hifiman Edition s or something like that, not on sale they run about $250.00. The sound is outstanding, they fold some and have a carry case, the side plates can come off or back on for open or closed back use, and, they are easy to drive.

I've not used them personally but seems Etymotic is a leader for in ear monitors.

A friend of mine who rides public transportation every day and most reviews still show Bose is the best in noise cancelling, only average sound, maybe less considering price but the technology for cancelling is there.

A recent review said a new Sennheiser model was close to Bose in noise cancelling. Honestly, I've had a few sets of Senn's, still have a couple, comparatively I haven't been happy with how long they last. For instance, the foam inside my HD580 & 600 just decentigrated, where the foam on an old set of AKG lasted for years.

I can't rave enough about those Hifiman, I've been extremely happy with them. Crazy good for the price. The Senn's mentioned above have a larger sound stage and fuller bass sound but the Hifiman are more accurate IMO. The bass on the Hifiman is not weak, just tighter, more punch.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

I’ve tried about everything as I log over 100k air miles per year. For me SQ and portability (small size) are key. I like always having my headphones with me so have most recently used IEMs which I always have with me in my briefcase. I had used various Etymotics which isolated noise on planes just fine and had decent SQ.

As you've experienced some IEMs are not the most comfortable. Last year I purchased custom fit IEMs from Empire Audio. I got their entry level model (about $600). Very likely the best bang for buck hi fi purchase I’ve ever made.

I’d urge you to go through the hassle of getting custom molds made. No comfort issue at all as you’re not really aware you’re wearing ‘phones. SQ is much better than the Etymotics but the price is double so you’d expect that. The custom molds also seems to improve spatilization of the music (more realistic instrument place/ soundstage).

They sounded good with the DAC and amp in my phone (LGv30) but I knew I could get more out of them so I just bought one of the new Astell and Kern players. Another step up.

Hope this helps.
    Linn LP 12/ Ekos/ Lingo/ Krystal/ Keel/ Auralic/ Ayre QA9/ ARC Ref 6 + 3 SE/ ARC REF75 SE/ Sonus Faber Amati Anniversario

Active noise canceling headsets are fairly effective at reducing lf noise but rely on the ear cups to reduce hf noise. I get a ‘stuffed ear’ feeling that is really unacceptable when I use them. I do not recommend them at all.

High quality IEM’s with custom ear molds are the way to go. I like Westone because the drivers fit inside my pinnae so I can sleeep with them in on long flights and not hear a thing around me. They attenuate everything 20 dB or more so even screaming children are not a problem.
    Tom

Audio:
    Amati Futura Mains
    Amati Homage VOX Center,
    Proac Response 1sc Rears,
    Three MC2301's for L,C,R
    MC 602 for the rears
    C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 77
    Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
    SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

Video:
    MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
    Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 80, Rega P3

OnDeck:
    McIntosh MAC 4300v

For another alternative, I use custom molded ear plugs - about $25 and do the trick for domestic travel. Cuts the ambient noise, but of course no tunes.

Agreed on the Bose recommendation for in ear and really agree on the westone customs. I have both, but the simplicity of the plugs does the trick and I find myself using them most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Amplification: DartZeel 468 (2) // DartZeel NHB18NS Mk. II
    Tuner: MagnumDynalab 108T/SE
    Table/Cart: J.Sikora Reference // Integrity HiFi Tru-Glider - DSAudio GrandMaster EX // Integrity HiFI Tru-Glider - Ortofon A Mono
    Equalizer/Phono Pre: DSAudio Master3
    Speakers: TAD R-1 MkII, REL Six Pack of REL Carbon Specials
    Power: Nordost QBase8 Mk3, QX4, Qkore1, 3 and 6 (chassis), QK1 (2), QV2 (2), Chord GroundAray (signal), Chord Line Aray (3), Chord Professional, AddPOWR EAU2 (2)
    DAC/Serv-stream: LampiZator Horizon/ Taiko Extreme
    Elrod Master Statement Diamond SE Speaker Cables
    Elrod Master Statement Diamond PCs (7), Evolution Acoustics 50 ohm (Zeel Connection), Nordost Odin2 IC (2), Nordost Valhalla II USB, CH Acoustic X20 IC, Final Touch Audio Elara PCs (6)
    AudioDesk Systeme RCM
    CMS Ultra 2.0 Footers TT (2) and TD (2), Revopods (2) and SortKones and EVPs where they work
    Critical Mass Systems Ultra-Q Rack > Silence Focus Amp Stands

I guess I need to look at the in-ear-monitors a bit more closely. They've never really appealed to me, but if they cut noise enough to come close to an active NR headset, and offer better sound quality, that's worth closer examination. I'm one of those people who won't wear contacts because I don't want something in/on my body. IEMs sort of fit in the same category, though I'm well aware there's a difference between ear and eyeball. Otherwise, it looks like Bose is the way to go for traditional NR cans.
    Jeff

Main System
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N100H; Disc Player: Oppo UDP-205; DAC: Topping D90SE; Preamp: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; Power Amp: ATI AT542NC; Speakers: Focal Sopra No. 3; Cables: Wireworld, Kimber, Cullin; Power: Ansuz Mainz8 X-TC, PS Audio Dectet, Furutech outlets

Basement Media Room
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N100SC; Disc Player: Panasonic DB-UP9000; Surround Pre/Pro: Monoprice Monolith HTP-1; Power Amps: Apollon NC1200SL (custom 3-channel w/Sparkos SS2590 op amps), Apollon AS3600 6-channel; Speakers: Focal Kanta No. 3, Kanta Center, 300 ICW8 (x6); Subwoofer: Rythmik F18SE (x2); Cables: Wireworld, BlueJeans; Power: Torus RM20, Furman Elite 20PFi; Room Correction: Dirac Live w/ Bass Control; Video: Sony 77" A9G OLED

I bought a pair of Etymotic ER-4P about 15 years ago. While not the most comfortable, admittedly, I have used them several time a year on trans-continental and trans-Atlantic flights ( mountain time zone to Great Britain). Neutral, work with an iPhone or iPod with great results. Don’t need the extra amp.

Very accurate sound, and lasted over 13 years of frequent use so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have tried many types of headphones, cancelling and ordinary, and Shure in ear.

None were really quiet. You end up having to jack up the volume to drown out aircraft roar, which can’t be healthy.

My revelation came when an audiologist made me a set of custom fit ear buds for my etymotic hf3 in-ears. They cost very little (50 bucks maybe) but they transformed the sound of the cheap etymotics. Suddenly I had bass. More importantly I had quiet. Stewards a foot away were completely inaudible. You can see their mouths moving but hear nothing, nada, zip. Also no engine noise. No wind roar.

My HF3s + the custom buds sound better than my SE525s and work way better than Bose noise cancelling phones.

One day I might try custom buds plus the more expensive shures, whose design allows me lié on my side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have PSB M4U2 and like it a lot. it can be used in 3 modes - not powered, powered and noise isolating. Sounds ok too

Welcome Roland, glad to see you posting.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

I have the B&W P7 noise canceling headphones. They sound great, kill most of the noise on the plane, but they sit very tight on the top of my head. It starts to hurt after about 30 minutes. I find myself just using my AirPods for music/movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

I also recommend IEMs. I have a pair of JH12's which require going to an audiologist to be fitted for custom fit ear molds. Very fine sound quality and almost total rejection of exterior sound. Of course, that means you don't hear the pilot or flight attendants' messages and you miss the chance to order a drink unless they tap you on the shoulder. Of course, you are not going to be able to resell your pair.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

My favourite is Sennheiser, since I travel a lot, but on a train mostly. Haven't tested them on an airplane yet.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team