MSB Discrete DAC arrives - Page 4
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Post Thanks / Like

MSB Discrete DAC arrives

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    Well, they aren't all that useful inside the box, are they!
    LOL
    Just got them unboxed and started playing. Sounds like it needs a bit of breaking in.

2. Likes joeinid, Mike, DrGjerdesmett liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MSB Discrete DAC arrives

Well, my MSB Premier clock card arrives today for a test drive
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ 47 Labs MC Bee cart, MSB Premier DAC --> Music First Baby Reference v2 --> Audio Research Ref 75SE --> DeVore Fidelity Gibbon X

4. Likes Mike, Jabba liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Almost 6 weeks since the arrival. It’s a keeper. PCM never sounds more transparent and MQA is as smooth as silk. Love the renderer module and direct Ethernet connection.

6. Likes AJR, kiwi_1282001, Mike, Ritmo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wait until you hear DSD through it !
    My system:
    Power: PS Audio P15 , dedicated 20amp circuits
    Front End: MSB Discrete DAC with MSB renderer

Pre: Simaudio Moon 740P
    Amp: McIntosh MC462
    Speakers: B&W 802 D3
    Interconnects: AQ Earth XLR and Stealth Metacarbon
    Speaker Cable: AQ Type 4 (20 ft runs)

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully my Silver Discrete arrives with twin power supplies & renderer soon. The MSB vs. Mscaler with Chord dac(heard Dave and Hugott2) were my final options. Mike and I discussed things at length but my decision came down to I only wanted my money going toward DAC related tech. The chord sounded lovely but headphone amp, preamp capability or TT2 high output amp capability being to drive any headphones or horn speakers was not part of my needs. Plus renderer module allows for MQA and an upgrade Roon ability over my Microrendu and its external power supplies. I will shrink the # of boxes on my racks. I know it will be a huge sonic improvement compared to my 4 year old Ayre Dac and that"s what matters to me and my ears. I know this Discrete has trickle down tech from their reference models so it will definitely bump up my system sonically. I try to stay focused on my BMW budget and not get frustrated I can't buy a Bentley or Ferrari at this time(BTW I love my Bimmers). I will be extremely happy now for some time especially with its upgradability and not get crazy about what I can't acquire. Thanks Mike for all your informative LOW pressure assistance.
    Cheers Nick
    Nick

Main system :TAD CR1 speakers, Viola Labs Symphony amp,Pass XP-20 preamp., MSB Discrete DAC with twin power supplies and V2 Renderer module, Gigafoil V4 inline ethernet filter with uptone LPS-1 power supply with Ghent audio Gotham 2.1mm to 2.5mm cable and AG diamond ethernet cable, Sonicorbitor Roon Audiophile 6 TB network server-player , MG Audio Design Planus III jumpers & speaker cables, Zitron Cobra power cords, Shunyata Hydra AV, and acoustic zen absolute copper IC,. Room treatment ASC tower traps, Vicoustic absorber premium cinema wall and ceiling panels, and MSR acoustic trifusser side wall panel

9. Likes Alpinist, AJR, kzhtoo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by veindoc View Post
    Hopefully my Silver Discrete arrives with twin power supplies & renderer soon. The MSB vs. Mscaler with Chord dac(heard Dave and Hugott2) were my final options. Mike and I discussed things at length but my decision came down to I only wanted my money going toward DAC related tech. The chord sounded lovely but headphone amp, preamp capability or TT2 high output amp capability being to drive any headphones or horn speakers was not part of my needs. I know it will be a huge sonic improvement compared to my 4 year old Ayre Dac and that"s what matters to me and my ears. I know this Discrete has trickle down tech from their reference models so it will definitely bump up my system sonically. I try to stay focused on my BMW budget and not get frustrated I can't buy a Bentley or Ferrari at this time(BTW I love my Bimmers). I will be extremely happy now for some time especially with its upgradability and not get crazy about what I can't acquire. Thanks Mike for all your informative LOW pressure assistance.
    Cheers Nick
    After having owned an MSB Discrete with twin PS for several months, I can say that it is more like a Mercedes than a BMW.
    My system:

11. Likes Mike, veindoc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mintakax View Post
    After having owned an MSB Discrete with twin PS for several months, I can say that it is more like a Mercedes than a BMW.
    Did you happen to try one PS vs. twin PS?

13. Likes cmarin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Did you happen to try one PS vs. twin PS?
    I had only one for a couple of weeks, but when I put the second one on I was having some minor hearing issues so really didn't get a chance to do a good comparison.
    My system:

15. Thanks kzhtoo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mintakax View Post
    Oh! how I feel that after several months he has lowered his expectations.

Aries Cerat Kassandra MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Constellation Inspiration 1.0 Stereo / Audio Research Ref 5SE / Rockport Atria I / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cable / Göbel XLR (2) Cables/ Göbel Ethernet Cable / Göbel USB Cable / Shunyata Denali 6000 T / Shunyata Sigma NR (4) and Alfa NR (2) / Kenneth Lau LPSU (2) for Aqvox Switch and Router / Stillpoints Ultra SS and Mini / Entreq Poseidon, Olympus Minimus, Silver Tellus and Siver Minimus (2) / Entreq Olympus and Apollo Infinity Cables

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nonesup View Post
    Oh! how I feel that after several months he has lowered his expectations.
    My system:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4