Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Considering an Aurender N100H or N10

All-

I have been considering an upgrade to my Macbook for some time now.
    After reading and contributing to the forums here and else where many, many times, I remain indecisive.
    The basic N100H seems to be a great value but I do wonder what I may miss or gain to just go for the N10 (other than an additional 2 tb or storage and not needing to buy a better USB cable).
    My goal is to sell my CD Player and pack up the CD's.
    Also, anyone feel these models may be getting a bit long in the tooth?
    Unfortunately, there is no local dealer to audition so this will need to be a "leap of faith."
    Thanks!
    AKA J2Ordan
    McIntosh/Legacy/VPI/Bricasti/Bryston/DIYCabling.

Re: Considering an Aurender N100H or N10

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    All-

I have been considering an upgrade to my Macbook for some time now.
    After reading and contributing to the forums here and else where many, many times, I remain indecisive.
    The basic N100H seems to be a great value but I do wonder what I may miss or gain to just go for the N10 (other than an additional 2 tb or storage and not needing to buy a better USB cable).
    My goal is to sell my CD Player and pack up the CD's.
    Also, anyone feel these models may be getting a bit long in the tooth?
    Unfortunately, there is no local dealer to audition so this will need to be a "leap of faith."
    Thanks!
    What will you use as a DAC? The only Aurender with a DAC is the A10 which is an N100H with a DAC and volume control. IMO, the DAC is probably more important than the streamer. Your budget should consider the cost of the streamer plus the DAC plus the cost of the requisite cables. When I was comparing the sound of my N10 into the DAC in my Aavik U-300 vs into a Chord Dave, the one fed with the best digital cable sounded best.

As for the N10 vs the N100H, I've never heard the N100H in my system but there must be a reason why the N10 is being used in state of the art audio systems.

In any case, any good streamer will offer better SQ than a noisy computer.
    Bud<br>

AAVIK: S-280 Streamer, D-280 DAC, I-280 Integrated Amplifier]
    NAIM: Atom HE Headphone Amp, Superlumina Speaker Cables, Power Cables
    HARBETH: 30.2 40th Anniversary Speakers
    FOCAL:: Utopia Headphones
    ANSUZ: C2 Power Cable, A2 Power Distributor, D2 Ethernet Cables, D2 PowerSwitch, D2 Interconnect
    NORDOST: Heimdall 2 Ethernet and Power Cables
    QUADRASPIRE: SVT Equipment Stand
    SKYLAN: Speaker Stands
    UPTONE:Linear Power Supply
    DANACABLE:: Headphone cables

JohnJ......I own the Aurender N10 and the N100H music servers. The N10 is in my studio two channel system, and the N100H is in the living room system. Both music servers are wonderful sounding components. Having said that, the Aurender N10 bests the N100H in its ability to reproduce timbrel accuracy and an alluring organic nature to human voices. The N10 uses an oven controlled crystal oscillator (OCXO) that is designed in to its proprietary SPDIF digital output section. The accuracy of this internal clock reduces jitter to nearly immeasurable levels (0.02 ppm) which is considerably superior to even the clock accuracy in your Esoteric K-01X (0.5 ppm). Between the incredible accuracy of the N10's clock, coupled with the excellent design, engineering, and application of the SPDIF digital output section of the music server, the combination of these features ensure an astonishing musical performance.

I use my N10's coaxial SPDIF output with the DAC in my Esoteric K-01X. The N10's USB output does not use the internal OCXO clock because all USB connections rely on the clock that exists in the DAC. The SPDIF outputs (coaxial, AES/EBU, Toslink) reqire the use of the clock in the music server. The very best sound comes from the SPDIF outputs. Musical performances are thoroughly involving to the highest degree.

I use my Aurender N100H music server with the new Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC. The N100H has only USB output. The new Gen 5 USB input on the Yggdrasil DAC is very good and allows the N100H server to sound remarkable. I am happy with both of my Aurender music servers but the N10 is state of the art and definitely reigns supreme over the N100H.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

i have looked very seriously the n10 and find it quite appealing. however, consider the file types and resolution that you want to send to your dac vs the specs for the aurender:

n10 bit and sample rates:
    SPDIF : Up to 24-bit, 192kHz (PCM); 1-bit, 2.8MHz (DSD64)
    USB : 32bit /384kHz, 1-bit, 2.8MHz (DSD64); 1-bit, 5.6MHz (DSD128)

also, the internal storage listed in the specs is a spinning HHD rather than SSD which may generate less noise.

these were two of my concerns with the n10 specific to pairing it with my dac.

on the plus side for me are the many digital SPDIF outputs and the app interface.

in any event, while maybe long in the tooth when compared to some more recently introduced high end servers probably costing more, it may fit your needs well and offer a good value in that respect.
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    consider the file types and resolution that you want to send to your dac vs the specs for the aurender:

n10 bit and sample rates:
    SPDIF : Up to 24-bit, 192kHz (PCM); 1-bit, 2.8MHz (DSD64)
    USB : 32bit /384kHz, 1-bit, 2.8MHz (DSD64); 1-bit, 5.6MHz (DSD128)

also, the internal storage listed in the specs is a spinning HHD rather than SSD which may generate less noise.

in any event, while not state of the art, they may fit your needs and offer a good value in that respect.
    aKnyght.......FYI, the hard drives in the N10 and the N100H only spin while transferring music files to the internal solid state drive, after which the hard drives are put to sleep. All music file playback is done from the SSD. The N10 has a 240GB SSD. The N100H has a 120GB SSD.

While you made no reference to the music server(s) you may consider state of the art, the Aurender N10 and W20 can stand shoulder to shoulder with the industry's best offerings in my humble opinion. It is not surprising to see the Aurender N10 and W20 music servers being used by so many audio component and speaker manufacturers as their source component of choice at audio shows worldwide.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    aKnyght.......FYI, the hard drives in the N10 and the N100H only spin while transferring music files to the internal solid state drive, after which the hard drives are put to sleep. All music file playback is done from the SSD. The N10 has a 240GB SSD. The N100H has a 120GB SSD.
    thanks! that is very good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    While you made no reference to the music server(s) you may consider state of the art, the Aurender N10 and W20 can stand shoulder to shoulder with the industry's best offerings in my humble opinion. It is not surprising to see the Aurender N10 and W20 music servers being used by so many audio component and speaker manufacturers as their source component of choice at audio shows worldwide.
    my apologies -- certainly not my intention to yuk anyone's yum. the n10 is indeed a fantastic piece of gear and i have given it very considerable thought. regrettably, it just did not fit my needs.
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Thanks to all for your comments.
    Bud... for now, I'll be using the built-in DAC on my Mc C2500. Down the road, I may go with a Schiit Yggy or something in that range.

Dan... for me, you really nailed the differences. I have been a fan of your reviews for several years on another site and for the past few months here at the shark site. Many I have read so carefully, so many times that my eyes would be sore the next day.

aKnyght...all of my "server music" is ripped AIFF from CD's with perhaps some free higher resolution tracks I have run into. Local public libraries are great resource to find music. I wonder if the N10 can play higher resolution DSD with future firmware updates (?). I question the advantage of higher resolution files on older recordings and more modern recordings not knowing the provenance. New recordings captured at the studio with new hi rez techniques are the future IMHO. I too like the various outputs in addition to USB.
    AKA J2Ordan
    McIntosh/Legacy/VPI/Bricasti/Bryston/DIYCabling.

Wonder how close the coaxial SPDIF in X100C is to the N10's coaxial in SQ. I'm using a Mac mini (modded) now going into a Yiggy (next week an Terminator dac).

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    Dan... for me, you really nailed the differences. I have been a fan of your reviews for several years on another site and for the past few months here at the shark site. Many I have read so carefully, so many times that my eyes would be sore the next day.
    JohnJ.......Thank you for your comments. I try my best to tell it like I hear it.
    Dan

I have a N10 and N100H I will be posting for sale soon if your interested?
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

I’m ultra frustrated with my N10 right now. It’s causing loud chirps and pops on DSD and some tidal tracks. Not cool. Thought it was the DAC I was testing, but when I take the aurender out and feed via JRiver DoP I have zero issues.

If Aurender can’t fix it, I’m moving on. Might go to a Lumin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

Kyle

Does it make the noise with any of the digital outputs or have you just tried one?
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

I have no popping with my aurender. Are your firmware up to date ? It sounds like a issue with your DAC.

Sorry for the delayed responses. Not a DAC issue. EMM and MSB have the exact same issue. Oddly it’s happened on a couple tidal tracks. Aurender pushed me a update, but haven’t listened to all the albums giving me issues.

-Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Kyle

Does it make the noise with any of the digital outputs or have you just tried one?
    Just usb, and I’ve swapped cables

-Kyle

Same issue with DSD on my N100H and I've reported to Aurender as well but no fixes as of yet. Has happened regardless of DAC and/or USB cable. Fortunately for me the popping sounds are not very loud and only happen when changing tracks. They are barely noticeable on my system so I've just lived with it.

George

Have you tried going into settins/advanced and adjust the “time needed by DAC to adjust to new sampling rate”? I have mine set to 3 seconds. That may fix the problem
    MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp, SST Son of Ampzilla II Amp, PS Audio Directstream DAC w/Bridge II, PS Audio Directstream Memory Player, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, ELAC 3070 Sub, Roon Nucleus w/8TB SSD storage

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - HiFi Rose RS250, KEF LS50W Nocturne Speakers

I have tried all of the different time settings and a few other things and at the end of the day there never was a fix for me. That said ... since fore me its really very minor I mostly don't think about it any more. Like others ... when I use a laptop with the DAC there is no issue from any of the music players on windows or Mac OS. Just like the sound quality from the Aurender much better than my laptop for sure. Wondering if I upgrade to the W20 and go dual balanced into the D-02x if that might solve the issue? Maybe a next year upgrade.

George

I had some issues with Aurender as well. I now have a Lumin and no issues at all. Sometimes Dealers and people in the industry aren't as honest with issues as they perhaps should be.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Considering an Aurender N100H or N10