Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

Conrad-Johnson CAV45-S2 Stereo Control Amplifier ....

I'm thinking about getting a new control amp (integrated) for one of my desktop computers and saw this little baby. I want a little better sound when I surf and I think this would be great.

Here is a nice review:

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/con...ted-amplifier/

Specifications

Power
    45 watts per channel RMS both channels driven into 4 ohms from 30Hz to 15kHz at no more than 1.5% total harmonic distortion or intermodulation distortion.

Small Signal Distortion

less than .1% at mid-band

Frequency Response

20Hz to 20 kHz +0/-.5 dB

Hum and Noise

100 dB below rated power output

Phase

speaker output is phase correct

Input Impedance

100 kOhms

Dimensions

13.375”D x 17.375″W x 6.625″H

Net Weight

42 lbs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joeinid; August 15, 2018 at 07:30 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: Conrad-Johnson CAV45-S2 Stereo Control Amplifier ....

Fun! I know you’ve always been a big CJ fan. Can’t wait to see what you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

I'd say............................ Get It!
    Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -Dedicated JRMC + Synology NAS

Joe.......How will you feed a signal to the CJ amp? Does your computer have a dedicated sound card with clean analog outputs, or will you be feeding the amp from the typical computer mini-jack output of the motherboard? It seems to me that if you are not feeding the CJ amp with a clean quality signal your efforts are a bit overkill. If you don't have a dedicated sound card, you may want to consider some decent power speakers instead, something like a pair of Audioengine 5+ powered bookshelf speakers.

https://www.needledoctor.com/Audioen...&custcol125=25

I'm not trying to discourage you from a Conrad-Johnson integrated amplifier purchase, just encouraging you to ensure your audio signal is worth the extra cost.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Super Moderator

Hi Dan,

Ha! Those Audioengine speakers are way too practical.

I'd be using a USB dac via an RCA out to the CJ integrated. Overkill for sure, but I like to have music playing and this would be an excuse to get back into CJ in smaller way with some EL34 tubes. I love the way it looks and can imagine it being a spectacular piece.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator

We are going to have to talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayooo View Post
    I'd say............................ Get It!

NAD C 658 streamer.

You may want to consider a used Hegel H160 integrated. It sounds great and has a good built in DAC. You can pick them up for about $1800 used. A Peachtree Nova and Nuprime gear with built in DAC's are also worth a look although I can certainly understand wanting to go with CJ. That CJ integrated is a beautiful piece.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    You may want to consider a used Hegel H160 integrated. It sounds great and has a good built in DAC. You can pick them up for about $1800 used. A Peachtree Nova and Nuprime gear with built in DAC's are also worth a look although I can certainly understand wanting to go with CJ. That CJ integrated is a beautiful piece.
    That’s basically my reasoning. Kind of missing that sound.

NAD C 658 streamer.

He reads the post and thinks to himself, I wonder how a CJ preamp would sound with the XA25. He decides not to write anything though as it's not practical for the application posted about
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Super Moderator

Ha!

That’s going through my mind too but one step at a time

NAD C 658 streamer.

Nah Joe, Put the Ref10 and Luxman in there. There is no such thing as overkill ...
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

NAD C 658 streamer.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Conrad-Johnson CAV45-S2 Stereo Control Amplifier ....