Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: MSB Premier arrives as Suncoast Audio

What's the length of the umbilical cable?

12" or less. I'd have to measure.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Am at 72+ consecutive burn in hours now and the big change I have noticed is more coherency across the board. The bass isn’t there yet though.

Mike - it is running quite warm, verging on hot. Well, hot is relative - it is nowhere close to the Antileon Evo! Let’s call it very warm. Can easily leave hand on it for a long time. Is this ok?
    Digital: Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server + MSB Premier DAC with Powerbase
    Amp: Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
    Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables
    Power: AQ Niagara 5000 + AQ Tornado power cables
    Headphones (travel): Sennheiser Momentum + Chord Mojo

Wrong thread, but do any Roon users know how to get rid of the annoying “Radio Off” window?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    Wrong thread, but do any Roon users know how to get rid of the annoying “Radio Off” window?
    I suggest that you create a new thread and you will get more responses.

That is my plan B

That is my plan B
    I use Roon but do not know the answer. Try Roonlabs forums.

Thanks. I went to this thread as I know most people on it use Roon. Don’t want to derail - hoping to get quick answer. I did spend a few minutes on the Roon website, but couldn’t find answer.

Am at 72+ consecutive burn in hours now and the big change I have noticed is more coherency across the board. The bass isn’t there yet though.

Mike - it is running quite warm, verging on hot. Well, hot is relative - it is nowhere close to the Antileon Evo! Let’s call it very warm. Can easily leave hand on it for a long time. Is this ok?
    It definitely can run warm, but mine is a rack above a tube amp and also isn't on spikes yet as my rack placement is going to change. Yours looks like its in a semi-enclosed space so no surprise. You might want to have your dealer email MSB.

I've got another 200 hours or so on mine and probably 3-400 overall. I will go one more week. Nice thing about digital is run-in is a breeze - try doing it with phono preamps lol. Allowing the Innuous to just run Roon Radio with my amp turned off rocks.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Strange, mine is not warm at all. It is standing on top of the powerunit with spikes on both units.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Yes. And my Discrete is enroute. The Premier is breaking in nicely. It sounds better with a good preamp IMO. Unlike the Select II which has a $12,000 internal preamp module, the Premier is superb, but I like it with a preamp.

The sound is totally MSB. Very analog like. Very analog like. It’s of course not at the level of the Select II, but it’s superb and real winner at its price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Interesting, Mike. Can you please define analog like? I don't know what you mean, even though I listen to great turntables in my friends' systems all the time. How is it in your view more analog like than other digital?

Thanks
    Al
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    Interesting, Mike. Can you please define analog like? I don't know what you mean, even though I listen to great turntables in my friends' systems all the time. How is it in your view more analog like than other digital?

Thanks
    Al
    Al,

So many DAC’s have that hashy, processed sounding, thin, overly sibilant, forward, fatiguing sound. They don’t sound organic. They don’t sound like master tape. They sound very computerized, oozing their 1’s and 0’s with pride. They don’t sound natural.

The MSB is the polar opposite. It sounds organic, rich, natural. It has body. It never sounds processed. It sound so close to master tape.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Al,

So many DAC’s have that hashy, processed sounding, thin, overly sibilant, forward, fatiguing sound. They don’t sound organic. They don’t sound like master tape. They sound very computerized, oozing their 1’s and 0’s with pride. They don’t sound natural.

The MSB is the polar opposite. It sounds organic, rich, natural. It has body. It never sounds processed. It sound so close to master tape.

Thanks, Mike. I guess then my Yggdrasil DAC sounds analog by that standard. Others may disagree. In any case, just a few days ago I had a vinyl lover over and he thought that my DAC didn't even remotely sound 'digital', so I don't seem to be the only one who thinks so.
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

Audioshark

Thanks, Mike. I guess then my Yggdrasil DAC sounds analog by that standard. Others may disagree. In any case, just a few days ago I had a vinyl lover over and he thought that my DAC didn't sound digital at all, so I don't seem to be the only one who thinks so.
    Al, when we compared Ian’s Yggy against his DCS, I think we both felt the Yggy was more organic. The DCS did all the hi-fi digital stuff, but the Yggy sounded more organic.

The MSB, takes this to a whole new level IMO.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Al, when we compared Ian’s Yggy against his DCS, I think we both felt the Yggy was more organic. The DCS did all the hi-fi digital stuff, but the Yggy sounded more organic.

That may well be, Mike, and I'll be curious to hear it some day. At this point though I have ordered ceiling diffusers from ASC that definitely will further improve the sound in a natural direction. Nothing beats the right acoustics if you want to achieve something of a resemblance of a concert hall experience. I have already worked a lot on my acoustics, and this will be yet another, probably important, step. No level of gear can substitute for that.

Hi mike,
    Wich dcs dac the Yggdrasil was compared to?
    Thks

That may well be, Mike, and I'll be curious to hear it some day.
    Hopefully a MSB Discrete dac is in your future- we'll be waiting

fyi, I run mine in a similar system as yours - passive to a tube amp

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by sakso136 View Post
    Hi mike,
    Wich dcs dac the Yggdrasil was compared to?
    Thks

DCS Rossini I believe. I had an Yggy I took on trade (latest version) and I preferred the Lampi GA and MSB. But at $2400...it’s good. Just wish it did DSD and MQA. But again, I really feel there are DAC’s that fall into that musical, more organic category and others that don’t. You will find people who really do prefer that thin, crunchy, digital, hashy, processed sound. Maybe they grew up on MP3’s...don’t know?

I understand exactly what you are saying.
    I want my next dac organic musical fluid but i m not ready to trade dynamic decay details micro and macro and all the rest......
    I m heading towards new r2r dacs like msb, totaldac tube mk2, denafrips terminal .....
    I hope someone make comparaisons of all these superstar dacs!!

Well said. And as an example, exactly what the Auralic Vega did in my system recently.

DCS Rossini I believe. I had an Yggy I took on trade (latest version) and I preferred the Lampi GA and MSB. But at $2400...it’s good. Just wish it did DSD and MQA. But again, I really feel there are DAC’s that fall into that musical, more organic category and others that don’t. You will find people who really do prefer that thin, crunchy, digital, hashy, processed sound. Maybe they grew up on MP3’s...don’t know?
    The comparison was with dCS Vivaldi plus Upsampler (MSRP $ 63K without cables). I have heard that comparison in Ian's system many times.

I just had an audio friend over who is pretty picky (in a good way), and he was also very impressed with the Yggy.

Doesn't say I'll never buy another DAC (MSB?) but I'm not itching.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    Hopefully a MSB Discrete dac is in your future- we'll be waiting

fyi, I run mine in a similar system as yours - passive to a tube amp
    Cool!

Audioshark

The comparison was with dCS Vivaldi plus Upsampler (MSRP $ 63K without cables). I have heard that comparison in Ian's system many times.

I just had an audio friend over who is pretty picky (in a good way), and he was also very impressed with the Yggy.

Doesn't say I'll never buy another DAC (MSB?) but I'm not itching.
    Thanks for the correction Al.

Thanks for the correction Al.

No problem, Mike. I am definitely more curious now about hearing the MSB sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    It definitely can run warm, but mine is a rack above a tube amp and also isn't on spikes yet as my rack placement is going to change. Yours looks like its in a semi-enclosed space so no surprise. You might want to have your dealer email MSB.

I've got another 200 hours or so on mine and probably 3-400 overall. I will go one more week. Nice thing about digital is run-in is a breeze - try doing it with phono preamps lol. Allowing the Innuous to just run Roon Radio with my amp turned off rocks.
    Keith - you were spot on. I rearranged things and the MSB is now on the top shelf and it runs only slightly warm - much cooler than before. Thanks.

Andrew

Am at circa 130 hours. Now hearing bass definition and depth for the first time. But still not there yet. The mids and highs are liquid though. Enjoying this journey.

Keith - any update on your Femto 93?

Am doing my best to be restrained. And I only have 130 hours consecutive hours of burn in time, so have some way to go.

But this sound is seriously extraordinary.

Just listened to my go-to audio testing track (Decks Dark by Radiohead) and I have never heard it sound like this.

It is liquid - like the terminator guy. Like a fondue. On steroids. Am seriously blown away.

Amazing.

����������������

Am doing my best to be restrained. And I only have 130 hours consecutive hours of burn in time, so have some way to go.

But this sound is seriously extraordinary.

Just listened to my go-to audio testing track (Decks Dark by Radiohead) and I have never heard it sound like this.

It is liquid - like the terminator guy. Like a fondue. On steroids. Am seriously blown away.

Amazing.

🎼🕺🏿🥂🎼🥂🕺🏿
    Any update on the breakin?

Small but noticeable improvement all round - but big improvement in the bass, particularly the mid bass. It is sounding really good now. I love it. And I am using the supplied power cable as I wait for a new AQ Tornado. So I expect it to get a little better.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the Premier with its base clock against the upgraded Fento 93? That will be a very interesting comparison.

Keith - how are you getting on with yours?

Audioshark

The Premier in the store has been running non-stop and has really started to show the true MSB sound. Big sound, analog smooth, gorgeous lush mids and a fabulous combination with any amp/preamp I try it with.

Mike - how many hours of burn in until it reaches optimal performance? I am at around 250 hours now and it is still improving.

Audioshark

Mike - how many hours of burn in until it reaches optimal performance? I am at around 250 hours now and it is still improving.
    Not sure. Haven’t turned mine off since I got it.

I have watched this tread and waited with anticipation of every word printed in regards to the MSB Premier DAC as I waited for my demo to arrive. I have been in this hobby for decades and have never written a review but as my now purchased Premier settled in to 2 weeks of break-in I feel compelled to tell the story. Hopefully within the next few days I will be able to put my experience into words. I say this as I feel this was such a moving component I want to pay it justice and support my comments with previous experience, knowledge and ownership not just spit out random thoughts . I might call my review " MSB Premier , Holy Mother of Jesus !"

Quote Originally Posted by Billt1 View Post
    I have watched this tread and waited with anticipation of every word printed in regards to the MSB Premier DAC as I waited for my demo to arrive. I have been in this hobby for decades and have never written a review but as my now purchased Premier settled in to 2 weeks of break-in I feel compelled to tell the story. Hopefully within the next few days I will be able to put my experience into words. I say this as I feel this was such a moving component I want to pay it justice and support my comments with previous experience, knowledge and ownership not just spit out random thoughts . I might call my review " MSB Premier , Holy Mother of Jesus !"
    I m so interested in your review.
    I m sure the premier is bloody good, but is it good for the money? Can you please relate previous experience with other dacs, and the abilities of the premier as preamp.
    Thks

I do not know how to use quote so :"I want to pay it justice and support my comments with previous experience, knowledge and ownership" That is why I need time and yes I will list current equipment as well as past ownership for reference. I will submit for your reference personal experience and industry knowledge so one can see if what I know may be valid or disregarded as someone who wishes they knew . I'll leave that up to you.

accidental duplicate post
    Last edited by Billt1; September 19, 2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: duplicate

Keith - how are you getting on with yours?
    Keith - am dying for an update. Especially re your femto 93

Hey guys, I'm thinking of upgrading my Meitner MA-1 to an MSB Discrete or Premier. I demo'ed my Meitner against the Discrete with dual power supplies yesterday at a local dealer and I thought it would be closer of a competition, but it was a noticeable difference and just not as fun to listen with the Meitner compared to even the Discrete.

I'm thinking of either a Discrete or Premier with dual power supplies and the network renderer module. Looking to go for the black finish, also. I have a half black/half silver system and I'm thinking of going all black.

1. What thoughts do you all have on Discrete vs. Premier?
    2. Thoughts on the finish: silver vs. black? Personal preference for sure, but just wondering if I'm missing a difference in the quality of the finish?

Thanks!

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by rhmmmm View Post
    Hey guys, I'm thinking of upgrading my Meitner MA-1 to an MSB Discrete or Premier. I demo'ed my Meitner against the Discrete with dual power supplies yesterday at a local dealer and I thought it would be closer of a competition, but it was a noticeable difference and just not as fun to listen with the Meitner compared to even the Discrete.

I'm thinking of either a Discrete or Premier with dual power supplies and the network renderer module. Looking to go for the black finish, also. I have a half black/half silver system and I'm thinking of going all black.

2. Thoughts on the finish: silver vs. black? Personal preference for sure, but just wondering if I'm missing a difference in the quality of the finish?

Thanks!
    Glad to hear you liked the Discrete. If you can step up to the Premier, it's definitely worth it. As for finish, I like both the silver and black. It more depends on the accompanying equipment color as well.

Thanks!
    As one of the long timers with MSB you won't be sorry either with the sound or their service/upgrade/modular upgrades. I fell in love years ago with the Analogue, my "buddy" threw me for a look with the IV Plus which was mind blowing for the time and then MSB upgraded me to Select II. I had a Meitner I think it was the DAC2 which was actually more expensive than the older Analogue and I was literally shocked by how good the Analogue was.

Nothing against the Meitner, he makes great stuff and I greatly respect his abilities and equipment. It's preference and mine leans towards MSB.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Thanks! Lurker for a decade, thought I had an account but I'm apparently now a first time poster.

To keep things on topic, any thoughts on the MSB questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post
    As one of the long timers with MSB you won't be sorry either with the sound or their service/upgrade/modular upgrades. I fell in love years ago with the Analogue, my "buddy" threw me for a look with the IV Plus which was mind blowing for the time and then MSB upgraded me to Select II. I had a Meitner I think it was the DAC2 which was actually more expensive than the older Analogue and I was literally shocked by how good the Analogue was.

Nothing against the Meitner, he makes great stuff and I greatly respect his abilities and equipment. It's preference and mine leans towards MSB.
    Thanks for the thoughts! The Meitner has been a great DAC since I bought it in early 2013, great improvement over what I had before. What I was hearing from the MSB Discrete was simply more 'analog-like' - I really liked it.

"Value" is up to the individual, but its hard to beat Premier with the 2 smaller PS. But you must get the 2nd one for a nominal fee.

As far as finish, I chose black as I don't want the dac to be the focus on my shelf. My ARC Ref 75ASE and Brinkmann Bardo are the focal points.

I have the black Discrete with the two PS. The PS are the same for the Discrete and Premiere. Jonathan told me that it will be possible to upgrade the Discrete to a Premiere for what he thinks will be not much more than the original cost. That is what I am planning on doing one of these days.
    My system:
    Power: PS Audio P15 , dedicated 20amp circuits
    Front End: MSB Discrete DAC with MSB renderer

Pre: Simaudio Moon 740P
    Amp: McIntosh MC462
    Speakers: B&W 802 D3
    Interconnects: AQ Earth XLR and Stealth Metacarbon
    Speaker Cable: AQ Type 4 (20 ft runs)

Thanks for everyone’s help! I am the proud new owner of a black Premier with dual discrete power supplies, network renderer module and Femto 93 clock! Loving it and the burn in is real on this!

Audioshark

Thanks for everyone’s help! I am the proud new owner of a black Premier with dual discrete power supplies, network renderer module and Femto 93 clock! Loving it and the burn in is real on this!
    Congrats!! Enjoy. It’s a wonderful DAC. Let us know your thoughts as it breaks in.

Congrats on your purchase. I personally have auditioned MANY of the top DAC's out there and I really liked the new MSB Select. It's legit. Too many DAC's aren't as great sounding as their price. I won't disparage them as we all hear differently, and folks who spend that kind of money don't need an idiot like me to say anything bad about their DAC's, lol.

If I had the money and it didn't matter, the Select would be on my short short list to bring in with a couple of others.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20
    The Memory Player with built in DAC and headphone amp built in on order
    AQ Niagara 1000 power device
    Audioquest William Tell bi wire speaker cable
    Wireworld 8 optical cable into the Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh from the TV and Blueray to reclock
    Wireworld Platnium 8 ethernet cables into the EMO 70e ethernet filter into The Memory Player from Eero mesh router
    All routers, cable box and synchro mesh powered by the Wyred4sound LPS box with separate supplies for each
    Audioquest power outlets and four dedicated power lines in the room
    ZMF Ori headphones with the Audioarts 15' Pono balanced cable for the QX5/20
    Empire Ears Phantom CIEM's
    Rhapsodio 2.98 mk2 gold plated silver cable for Phantom

Congratulations on your new Premier, it is a terrific DAC! Smart move going for the Premier with the extra power supply and upgraded clock.

Enjoy,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

MSB Premier arrives as Suncoast Audio