Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Lampizator Pacific

Hi Joe

That’s what I did yesterday, one single outlet feeding the power conditioner and everything plugged into the conditioner. I got the hum with the Pacific Dac and no hum with the Elyse Dac. As soon as I plug the LEFT RCA input from the Pacific into the GAT I get the static. The static does not happen with the RIGHT RCA input from the Pacific.

Today I spoke with Jeff at CJ who told me to eliminate the power conditioner and start with just the amp and preamp. Per his instructions I plugged the amp and the GAT into the single outlet (that fed the power conditioner) and no static hum. So this eliminates the amp and GAT as the source of the trouble? Next I connected the modwright Elyse Dac, no static hum and getting a clean music stream from Qobuz. Just taking a minute to enjoy....

Super Moderator

Okay. Maybe a power strip, no conditioning, with multiple outlets will prove the theory. Good luck.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

There's another member I have talked to that was having noise issues with the Lampi using single ended IC's he had to send it in for a tuneup to wiring scheme to resolve the issue. If your sure you don't have a problem with that specific pair of IC's you may need to contact Fred from Lampi. If you've got another pair of IC's around no matter the brand or quality try them to be sure the problem is coming from the DAC because they will ask you if you've tried it. You probably need to plug in both RCA's to complete the loop.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

I’m pretty certain it’s the Lampi. Per Rob, I plugged the amp/pre to the same outlet, dead quiet. I have the pacific plugged into the power conditioner (different outlet); connect to preamp via RCA and there’s static, plug in the USB to pacific and static gets louder. This also happens if I switch the preamp to the power conditioner and the pacific into the wall. I have 4 sets of RCA, and the hum is a consistent finding. I am not having issues with my other Dac-modwright Elyse.

Last things to try before you contact Fred at Lampi. Plug everything but the amp into the line conditioner and plug the line conditioner into the top outlet of one duplex. Plug the amp into the bottom outlet in the same duplex. The whole setup is then on the same circuit if still noise then put a 50 cent cheater plug on the the Lampi into the line conditioner. If neither solves the problem then the Lampi has an internal ground issue and needs to be checked. The Lampi people are going to ask you if you've tried these things before they tell you to send it back so better to have exhausted all the possibilities on your end. Do not use the second duplex outlet.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

I will try all combinations. Does it matter where I connect my NAS and streamer which connects to the DAC via USB.

For the sake of the test I would start with just the three pieces first and if you eliminate the hum using either one of the methods I described then connect the other two one at a time and if there is room in the conditioner then put them both on it with the preamp and the dac. Since we think the problem is the Lampi let's see if we can stop that hum first before adding any more moving parts.

I know he was trying to be helpful but Jeff at CJ's main interest was determining that the GAT was not causing the problem which he did.

Despite the inconvenience, I am totally loving the weight and presence of the music that’s coming through GATV2 and Elyse Dac. I will repeat all the combinations first thing Saturday after a good nite’s rest, making efforts to chart my findings.

Lest I forget, thank you all for taking the time to patiently walk me through this.

The Elyse is a first class dac in it's own right and in the end may be the better choice if you can't resolve the grounding issues with the Lampi.

Hum is mostly a system issue as anyone component cannot be the cause.
    I have been busy but do want to solve your issue and this may help others
    so let me ask some simple questions
    if the LAMPI dac is off and Hums do this and comment
    if the dac is unplugged does your setup hum ?
    If you change the input to an unused one does your system hum ?
    have you tried a small gauge wire as a ground from tje ground post of the LAMPI to a ground post or screw of your preamp ?
    answer these then we move on.
    lastly keep any WiFi router or access points closer then 5 feet. Also unplug these and take note. Hum is mostly a simple ground loop and can always be cured but it does need to done with a method and note taking.
    good luck and please let be help you.
    TUBEZATOR

preamp ML26
    amps ML No.33
    Infinity IRS-V speakers with Xover redone by Arie Nudell.

what happened to lampizator? they were on a real roll for a while with new products and great reception and i feel like i haven't heard anything about them for a while. i might be out of the loop, so just asking out of curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by Skanda View Post
    what happened to lampizator? they were on a real roll for a while with new products and great reception and i feel like i haven't heard anything about them for a while. i might be out of the loop, so just asking out of curiosity.
    I think most Lampi fans are hanging out over at WBF...

Personally, I tried to live without a LampizatOr for some time but I'm now back on their new entry level which I find stunning to be honest. While this thread is about the TOP level Pacific, with some heritated digital engine from it the lower end models stand quite proud I'd say. I've never been this satisfied with my system as I am right now, and the LampizatOr Amber III has a great part in that!
    Speakers: Kroma Thais. Amplifier: Ypsilon Phaethon. Digital: LampizatOr Baltic 3, Lumin U1 Mini. Analog: MoFi Ultradeck, PS Audio Stellar Phono.
    Other: Audio-Technica ART9XI, Ansuz, Vertere, Sablon Audio USB/Ethernet/DC, Paul Hynes, IsoAcoustic, UpTone EtherREGEN.

Quote Originally Posted by Redphu View Post
    I’m pretty certain it’s the Lampi. Per Rob, I plugged the amp/pre to the same outlet, dead quiet. I have the pacific plugged into the power conditioner (different outlet); connect to preamp via RCA and there’s static, plug in the USB to pacific and static gets louder. This also happens if I switch the preamp to the power conditioner and the pacific into the wall. I have 4 sets of RCA, and the hum is a consistent finding. I am not having issues with my other Dac-modwright Elyse.
    I had a similar weird grounding issue as well. In my case, I traced my problem with the RCA between my passive preamp and Pacific. Weird part if I unplugged the cable on the pacific side, it would get significantly louder! In any case, it resolved itself in a weird way. One day I completely unplugged the cable and plugged it back in a few minutes later while moving equipment around and it solved itself. Weirdness. There was still a really slight hum with no music playing and not audible from more than 1 foot away. But it still bothered me.

In any case, I ended solving it by using a Star ground solution. In my case I used Nordost’s QBASE. Basically it is simply a very nice AC power strip with all the plugs but one having its earth ground impedance raised. Plug your preamp into the lower earth socket and everything else into the power strip. Theoretically, all the ground should run to preamp and be the same. I think pretty much any star ground solution works with similar principle. I would highly recommend anyone with weird ground humming issues to try such a solution. My system is almost dead quiet now

Good to hear. I am head over heels with my Pacific. Luckily, knock wood, no ground or hum issues here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Amplification: DartZeel 468 (2) // DartZeel NHB18NS Mk. II
    Tuner: MagnumDynalab 108T/SE
    Table/Cart: J.Sikora Reference // Integrity HiFi Tru-Glider - DSAudio GrandMaster EX // Integrity HiFI Tru-Glider - Ortofon A Mono
    Equalizer/Phono Pre: DSAudio Master3
    Speakers: TAD R-1 MkII, REL Six Pack of REL Carbon Specials
    Power: Nordost QBase8 Mk3, QX4, Qkore1, 3 and 6 (chassis), QK1 (2), QV2 (2), Chord GroundAray (signal), Chord Line Aray (3), Chord Professional, AddPOWR EAU2 (2)
    DAC/Serv-stream: LampiZator Horizon/ Taiko Extreme
    Elrod Master Statement Diamond SE Speaker Cables
    Elrod Master Statement Diamond PCs (7), Evolution Acoustics 50 ohm (Zeel Connection), Nordost Odin2 IC (2), Nordost Valhalla II USB, CH Acoustic X20 IC, Final Touch Audio Elara PCs (6)
    AudioDesk Systeme RCM
    CMS Ultra 2.0 Footers TT (2) and TD (2), Revopods (2) and SortKones and EVPs where they work
    Critical Mass Systems Ultra-Q Rack > Silence Focus Amp Stands

My Pacific is still sounding wondeful !

Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Banned

Adam that looks incredible and I know with the M3s must sound even better than it looks. WOW!!!

Has anyone compared the Lampizator Pacific and Lumin X1

Quote Originally Posted by fathead View Post
    Has anyone compared the Lampizator Pacific and Lumin X1
    No but I’ve compared it to the Nagra tube dac and to me it’s makes pacific sound round/softer, less naturaL, and Nagra takes it in resolution. For once I feel like it’s approximating live performance in my living room.

No but I’ve compared it to the Nagra tube dac and to me it’s makes pacific sound round/softer, less naturaL, and Nagra takes it in resolution. For once I feel like it’s approximating live performance in my living room.
    That looks like a very nice DAC

Thanks for the comparison. I just ordered a Nagra Tube DAC last week, and was always wondering if I should have gotten the Pacific instead. They were my top two choices.

Quote Originally Posted by essrand View Post
    Thanks for the comparison. I just ordered a Nagra Tube DAC last week, and was always wondering if I should have gotten the Pacific instead. They were my top two choices.

Glad I could help. FIY I hope you got the power supply as well

Glad I could help. FIY I hope you got the power supply as well
    Yes! I got the whole package: Classic PSU, VFS, DAC. Should arrive this week *fingers crossed*

Quote Originally Posted by essrand View Post
    Yes! I got the whole package: Classic PSU, VFS, DAC. Should arrive this week *fingers crossed*
    You’re in for a treat. Let me know what you think.

You’re in for a treat. Let me know what you think.
    Thank you! Definitely will keep you posted.

What digital/USB cable do you use to connect to the DAC? If I may ask.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Lampizator Pacific