Cleaning up dirty power...What's your flavor? - Page 3
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning up dirty power...What's your flavor?

Over the weekend I checked grounding on my amps, moved cables and wires around behind my rack. I got rid of some noise, not all. This week I am going to try and land a new ground rod and maybe a subpanel. Pulled a little 100 amp off a job. I would rather not use anything and clean up what I have with good practices.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp, Altec Lansing 1570B modded by Transition Audio Design and myself, Mojo Audio CAT Server running Win Server 2016 AO HQ and Roon, Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC, Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Custom TT with Vertere Arm, Denon 103R Midas with sapphire cantilever line contact diamond, Allnic H1201 phono pre, Pure Audio Project Trio 10 with performance Solen air core chokes and Mundord Supreme oil caps, Power via 10 awg OFC cord from panel to custom distribution strip, Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.

2. Likes UltraFast69, the professor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    Over the weekend I checked grounding on my amps, moved cables and wires around behind my rack. I got rid of some noise, not all. This week I am going to try and land a new ground rod and maybe a subpanel. Pulled a little 100 amp off a job. I would rather not use anything and clean up what I have with good practices.
    I would rather not use anything and clean up what I have with good practices
    Yep
    Chris

(2 Chl): Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE Lumin D1, VPI Classic 1, Manley Chinook, Dynavector DV20x2L.exaSound e32, Marantz SA11S2. ( computer) Win7, Synology DS413 NAS ,Vincent SP-331MKII , Quicksilver LS,Vapor Audio Breeze, Rythmik F12se. Cables: Acoustic Zen, DL Labs, Blue Jean.. ,Bryston BCD-1,Timbernation Rack,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    What works for me is fixing the nasty power before it gets into your home. Once you and your power company and electrician are satisfied that your ground is proper and the power into your home is clean, then you can start working on wiring , and fancy power conditioners and regenerators. . In my case FPL found a bad transformer feeding my block, my home is the first house on that leg and my ground was not sufficient enough for the sandy soil. Cost FREEBIE
    How did you know that your power had problems at the source To the point where you called in your power company? Did you measure it somehow?
    Source: Roon Nucleus, Cisco 2960 Switch, Lampizator Pacific Dac. Amp: Lampizator GM 70 mono's Speakers: AvantGarde Duo Mezzo XD, JL Audio e112 subs. Cables: Alan Maher Designs Power, Shunyata Sigma Interconnects and Speaker cables Audioquest Diamond ethernet. Room Treatment from Vicoustic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willco View Post
    How did you know that your power had problems at the source To the point where you called in your power company? Did you measure it somehow?
    When we bought our home ( ps I live at the beach) we installed a whole house generator,, the electrician and the generator company noticed some odd readings with the ground also found noise on the main line. We have always had some odd static pictures on the TV and hums on our phone line with is provided by the cable company since we moved in it was never right. The cable company said it was a power company problem. So we called our power company, who came out and installed a recording device to monitor the power feed . The next day the started working on a few poles up the road. The power company said it was a faulty transformer ( old age) . They also added another section of ground rod after they megged my ground. Thats it. Nothing magical
    Chris

(2 Chl): Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE Lumin D1, VPI Classic 1, Manley Chinook, Dynavector DV20x2L.exaSound e32, Marantz SA11S2. ( computer) Win7, Synology DS413 NAS ,Vincent SP-331MKII , Quicksilver LS,Vapor Audio Breeze, Rythmik F12se. Cables: Acoustic Zen, DL Labs, Blue Jean.. ,Bryston BCD-1,Timbernation Rack,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    When we bought our home ( ps I live at the beach) we installed a whole house generator,, the electrician and the generator company noticed some odd readings with the ground also found noise on the main line. We have always had some odd static pictures on the TV and hums on our phone line with is provided by the cable company since we moved in it was never right. The cable company said it was a power company problem. So we called our power company, who came out and installed a recording device to monitor the power feed . The next day the started working on a few poles up the road. The power company said it was a faulty transformer ( old age) . They also added another section of ground rod after they megged my ground. Thats it. Nothing magical
    So maybe you were fortunate with your hums and static as a legitimate way to get your power company to come optimize your power. Without serious problems like that, the local power company's not going to come out to help us get out power source to audiophile standards.
    Source: Roon Nucleus, Cisco 2960 Switch, Lampizator Pacific Dac. Amp: Lampizator GM 70 mono's Speakers: AvantGarde Duo Mezzo XD, JL Audio e112 subs. Cables: Alan Maher Designs Power, Shunyata Sigma Interconnects and Speaker cables Audioquest Diamond ethernet. Room Treatment from Vicoustic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willco View Post
    So maybe you were fortunate with your hums and static as a legitimate way to get your power company to come optimize your power. Without serious problems like that, the local power company's not going to come out to help us get out power source to audiophile standards.
    All depends on where you live I would think unless one lives in some high raise or a condo community then all bets are off. .
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I have 4 20A dedicated circuits. I use a pair of huge Toroidal transformers (Balanced Power Technologies) for my amps that can provide more instantaneous power than your 20amp wall socket. For my front end I use the Shunyata Research Hydra Triton.You can't get any blacker backgrounds then what I have! Ask Mike!
    George
    -----------------------

My Instrument of Precise Music Reproduction

Custom C.A.P.S. Reference Music Server with UpTone Audio JS-2 External Linear Power Supply > Bel Canto REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter > AT&T ST Optical Glass Fiber > Bel Canto DAC3.7 DAC > Pass Labs XP-20 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Summit X Speakers