Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: XP12 vs XP20

XP12 vs XP20

Hi

I am currently trialling an XP12 in my system and enjoying the sound. However for slightly less money I can pick up a second hand XP20 (but can’t trial it) so the question is how do the 2 compare? Does the newly designed 12 sound better than the older 20?

I listen mostly to vinyl through a Pass XP17

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Many thanks

Steve

Super Moderator

Re: XP12 vs XP20

Welcome to the forum Steve, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I'm a big Nelson Pass fan. Great products from a very smart, and experienced man. I owned Pass gear years ago. Bought a Pass XP20 from Mark at Reno. Also a good deal. Sent it back. Underwhelmed....
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

Hi PD, just curious how long you listened to the 20 before sending it back? I got my Pass from the same source, though it was an open box it took a good week to break in, and, if it's unplugged, it takes about 24 hours of being plugged back in to settle into the sound it should have. Not a handy thing when wanting to compare to other preamps.

As I mentioned just curious, my thoughts were to do the same, box it up and send it back, I followed Mark's suggestion and left it playing andit eventually began to sound great. I've had it a lot of years now.

I haven't heard the 20 or 30, to my understanding Pass preamps aren't one sound and it gets better as you go up, instead, the preamps have different characters.

One thing about Pass, they don't bring out a new model often, so my guess is the 12 should be at least competitive with the 20. Just haard to guess the character without hearing them.

Welcome to the OP

Quote Originally Posted by Penthouse-D View Post
    I'm a big Nelson Pass fan. Great products from a very smart, and experienced man. I owned Pass gear years ago. Bought a Pass XP20 from Mark at Reno. Also a good deal. Sent it back. Underwhelmed....
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Hello Mr. Peabody. Thanks for the reply. I listened to it for 2 weeks. Powered on the entire time. I had the 600 mono blocks with it. It sounded a bit,"sterile" to me. Maybe it was the combination. I probably would've preferred class A amplification from Pass. It's been quite a while since I owned them, and many systems later, I'm quite happy. Thanks
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

BUY THE XP12 : I'm looking for a used XP20

IMHO, the 12, like the 10 missed the equivalent of a "tape out" which would be usefull for a phone amp.
    Also, I fear they haven't added what they add removed : the mono on/off.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Hi Dan. All the Pass pre amps and phono stages are not designed by Nelson Pass. Wayne C does. Nelson sticks to amps.
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Hello Mr. Peabody. Thanks for the reply. I listened to it for 2 weeks. Powered on the entire time. I had the 600 mono blocks with it. It sounded a bit,"sterile" to me. Maybe it was the combination. I probably would've preferred class A amplification from Pass. It's been quite a while since I owned them, and many systems later, I'm quite happy. Thanks
    Hi Penthouse-D. I know I'm responding to an old post, but I also have the XP-20 and have not found it to be sterile, but system synergy could be working in my favor. I use an AVA FetValve 600R amp so maybe they just work well together.

I would like to hear the XP-12, if only because in a few years I'll likely be moving to a smaller home and streamlining my audio equipment setup might be nice. If one chassis can get me as good or better than a two box XP-20 it'd be worth considering.

I'm hearing that Pass amps and pre-amps have slightly different characteristic sounds, not just better as one moves up the chain. You would probably benefit from a telephone discussion with Kent English via the Pass customer support line. Be thinking about what 'better' means to you. What type of music do you listen to? What does your system look like (esp amp/speakers)?

Yes, I should do that. Kent and I have spoken many times over the years. But looking in the enthusiast world to see if there's a consensus can sometimes help. Sometimes it makes things more difficult, yes.

Hello everybody!

A newbie here: first post on the forum...

I very much enjoy the XA30.5 power amp, and am also considering the XP-20 or XP-12 preamp as an upgrade to my Primare PRE30, and badly in need for your recommendations, dear experts, as actual auditioning is not in the cards for me, unfortunately enough.

I wish to use the preamp exclusively in my music-only two-channel setup (both analog, including vinyl, and digital). I know that these preamps have a fine reputation for their performance, and are known to be very musical. First of all, I am interested in the best sound (female jazz vocal, opera, organ, piano, big orchestra works, some pop and rock).

I am not a technical Guru by any means, but the XP-12 and XP-20 look quite similar in terms of the specs to me with a few notable differences: the XP-12 is better for Freq. Response, has finer Volume control, better for Crosstalk, BUT Output Noise Floor is much lower for the XP-20 (less than 0.5 uV vs. 15 uV @ 10 - 30 KHz, if I am reading the specs correctly).

The objective measurements alone do not tell the whole story, but certainly are the precursor for the sonics to be expected… At least in my humble opinion.

Where would your nod, dear experts, go for the best synergy between the XA30.5 and XP-20 or XP-12, please? Is this, perhaps, a “generational” question, meaning the XA30.5 and XP-20 do belong to the same “crop”?

Additionally, any true balanced designs you would suggest me to consider as alternatives to the XP-20/12 for about the same money, please?

Please chime in!

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.

NAD C 658 streamer.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

XP12 vs XP20