Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Chord Mojo

mauidan

Chord Mojo

Yes, the Mojo is a DAC, but I put this here because most people will use it with headphones.

The Mojo replaced an Audioquest Dragonfly Red that I was using with a MacBook Pro and Sennheiser HD600s.

The Dragonfly Red could only be used on a USB output, but Mojo can be connected to the Mac via USB or Toslink.

First tried the Mojo via USB, but remembered I had an old Monster Cable Toslink made to work with the fiber output of Macs.

Yes, the Mojo cost 2X+ more than the Dragonfly Red, but even with Tidal,
    the Dragonfly Red can't compare to iTune AIFF rips played backed with BitPerfert.

I can't believe how much more info is coming through.

If you listen to headphones via your PC(or iPhone), I suggest you contact Mike and get a Mojo.

PS- If you know of a better set of cans than the Sennheiser HD600s for under $400., please let me know.

mauidan

Re: Chord Mojo

The Mojo continues to impress, can't believe how much info it's pulling off the 1996 live recording of Jessia Williams' Victoria Concert I found at the local CD trading outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by mauidan View Post

PS- If you know of a better set of cans than the Sennheiser HD600s for under $400., please let me know.
    I've heard of the he400i compared to the hd600.

I've never heard the 600, but I own the 400i.

$190 for the 400i. Ive heard many cans much more expensive that eat dirt compared to 400i. In a big way. The cans I've heard that were inferior are:

AudioQuest Nighthawks (more comfortable than 400i but that's it and 400i is not uncomfortable)

NAD HP50 & PSB M4u2 (both great and with more impact than 400i but no soundstage or imaging or separation or resolution + planar bass compared to 400i).

Sony MDR-1A
    Sennheiser Momentum
    Audeze EL-8 ($700!! though built like a tank, exquisite, but mid-fi)
    Grado 325e ($300)
    Grado RS2e ($500 nice but its no 400i).
    Grado GS2000e ($2000 but not sure that it really beats 400i)

400i has made my Grado 325e literally obsolete. I thought 325e was a fun treble energy can with more bass than the rest of the SR line. Now it sounds smudgy, slow and incompetent compared to the resolution, soundstage and fast bass of 400i.

400i and 325e are both after the same signature imo, but 325e is kids stuff compared to 400i.

400i sounds to me like the beginning or so of real HiFi.

Not much sub bass on 400i though tbh. Sound stage is nice, but it doesn't have the impact of LCD2 or most closed back cans.

Still for $190 400i is a steal.

I honestly think the consumer wins on the 400i simply because Hifiman has so many high end cans making big waves and big bucks for Hifiman that they can afford to offer a gem like 400i for under $200...new.

Alot of these other companies need to ask for the most they canbecause they have to.

NightHawks aren't worth their $400 tag. They should be $150-$200, truthfully.

I paid $400 for PSB M4u2, 3 years ago, an incredible, competent top tier mid-fi can. They should cost $200-$250.

I paid $83 for Philips SHP9500 new on Amazon, they are now $180. They should cost $80-$100.

All of the lovely Grados I've heard should cost $100 -$250, including RS2E. GS2000e should be $400 -$500 not 2k.

400i could cost $400-$600 imo. I see 400i as the treble side of a fun duo under $1000.

LCD2C being the bass side of that duo.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Btw lol sorry to derail.

The chord Mojo is becoming hard to ignore. Hugo too. I'd love to hear it. I actually held a used one two weekends ago. Am considering getting it.

mauidan

You're not derailing.

I think you'll love the Mojo and mahalo for the tip about the he400i.

Ye, I've read quite a bit about it Mojo is praised by quite a few people I know who really know audio. And I see it mentioned in the same setups with high end stuff like Focal, Audeze, Sennheiser and Hifiman.

ye, 400i I think is the best value out there easily right now. It's extremely open-back though so people around you do hear it,ZMF I only use it at home, and it may depend on the source. You mentioned your sound card and seemed to drive those cans you mentioned well enough. I just drive it of my v30+ smartphone which has a quad DAC and that seems to be enough and sometimes I use my Sony PHA-1A amp with which enhances it a little but, 400i must sound great with Mojo.

He400i cost $500 when it came out in 2014 only recently it went down a ton in price I believe.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Chord Mojo