New Borresen Line Of Speakers - Page 51
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41 46 47 48 49 50 51
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Borresen Line Of Speakers

Loudspeaker Show Report from High End 2019, Munich

Jonathan Valin’s show reports make interesting reading and his latest report on loudspeakers is certainly that. Link to full report here: https://www.theabsolutesound.com/art...-loudspeakers/

Best of show was Jonathan’s current reference loudspeakers the giant omnidirectional $260k MBL X-Tremes, driven and sourced (of course) by MBL’s own electronics. While I did not attend the show I have no reason to quibble Jonathan’s choice. In my humble opinion big MBL’s are in a league of their own in terms of reproducing scale and creating massive enveloping sound-stages with density and specificity so real you feel you could walk in and stand next to one of the musicians.

Other speakers in the best list included the $21.5k Rockport Atria (great to see a speaker at this price point make a best of show list) and the Magico M2. Jonathan thought the M2 exhibited a touch of sibilance and a little excess sting on voice and guitar but was otherwise quite natural. We’ll chalk that up to the room or recording(s).

But for Jonathan, the speakers at the show that came closest to his $260k MBL reference in terms of wraparound sound-staging were the $110k Borresen 05’s. Here’s what he had to say (bold added by me):

“New to Munich, Michael Børresen’s $110k, two-and-a-halfway, seven-driver (with ribbon tweeter), Børresen 05 quasi-D’Appolito floorstander driven by an Aavik C-300 integrated amp and cabled by top-line Ansuz wire in a CD-only digital system was the last exhibit I visited on the last day of the show—and the listening experience was well worth the wait. Very beautiful in timbre with truly remarkable delicacy of color and articulation on guitar and voice, it had the naturally crisp presence of Michael’s Raidho ribbons combined with a newfound sweetness of timbre that was ravishingly lovely and natural. Bottom-up in balance and a mite too heavy in the midbass (in the jerrybuilt Halle room it was sitting in) the 05 had a transient speed and fineness of detail like nothing else I’d heard from a cone loudspeaker, plus a wraparound soundstaging that was only rivaled by the big MBLs. With superb articulation and resolution, this was a uniquely great dynamic loudspeaker despite the touch of room boom—kind of like a Zellaton or an ML with balls. I can’t wait to review it.

. - Jonathan Valin, The Absolute Sound"
    Borresen Acoustics ApS Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quack, quack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: AMG V12 + AMG 12j2 arm + Benz Micro Gullwing SLR MC/ Cardas Clear Beyond Phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Grandinote Celio/ Aurender N100H with Curious USB/ Synology NAS with Roon and HD Plex linear PSU with Shunyata HD/ AQ Diamond RJ45 + AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE/ Brinkmann Nyquist MK II/ Ayre KX-5 Twenty/ Soulution 511/ WyWires Platinum ICs + power cables/ Magico S3 mk2/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ REL S5 SHO/ REL Blue/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata AlphaHC (x2)+ Alpha+Alpha Analogue+Alpha Digital/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints Ultra SS.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Sbooster LPSU/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

3. Likes Alpinist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    Hello Robert and congratulations on the .1 upgrade to the Raidho D1’s. The upgrade is significant and quite an advance, right across the frequency range. One of the great things about Raidho was its upgrade path. Customers could literally take a C.0 product which was more than 10 years old and have it upgraded to latest .2 specification for a reasonable fee; certainly much less than the typical loss incurred by having to sell an old product and buy a new one. Unfortunately no upgrade is possible to the new TD series as the internal changes are too radical.

I remember communicating with you years back regarding loudspeaker placement and hope you’ve happily optimized this?

The Raidho ribbon planar tweeters are just amazing. Earlier in this thread it was suggested the physics of ribbon tweeters meant they were universally bright and edgy. That’s not how my ears hear them. To me the Raidho tweeters resolve great detail but still remain highly listenable even on difficult grainy recordings on 80’s pop recordings which get tonnes of airplay at my home. The Borresen tweeter is different and I need more time to consider and then pen how it is different.

I share your concern on the tone of this thread and I’m currently working directly with the forum owner on what changes / actions are necessary to bring constructive engagement back which is surely in everyone’s best interest.

Hi Ralph,

I am enjoying my D1.1s. To my ear it improves over the D1 in some important area, most noticeable being more efficient, transparent, dynamic, and more solid human voice. But the mid-bass bump is still there. The bass is not a big issue for me mostly because I have a Linn DS streamer in my system with Linn "space optimisation" software which is kind of like a DSP for lower frequencies. It took me a few days but I tuned the sound to my liking, and the speakers are sounding great. Anyway, I know this is a Borresen thread so I would not go into detail.

I sure would love the thread becomes more constructive.
    Robert

Linn Klimax 500 Solos Power amps, Linn Klimax Kontrol Pre-amp, Linn Klimax DS3 streamer, Raidho D1.1 speakers, Crystal Cable Ultra Interconnects and speaker cables.

5. Likes kiwi_1282001, pegken liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Speakers are a matter of taste. There are millions of views regarding how speakers should sound. Somebody like BMW's and somebody likes Mercedes. People are so passionate about their gear and they should be otherwise it would had been a bad investment. There has been a lot of mud throwing around and it is tasteless.
    This a forum for people to express their opinions in the threads. People should be able to without getting nagged down.

Comments like "quack quack" and of such liking is a disgrace. It doesn't require a lot to keep the tone decent.
    Scansonic MB-1, Aavik U-300, Sony CD Player as transport, mixture of ansuz cables in different qualities, Ansuz Mainz X Power Distribution, Ansuz Power Distribution for DTC cables

7. Likes cmarin, pegken liked this post
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmiLiuZ View Post
    Speakers are a matter of taste. There are millions of views regarding how speakers should sound. Somebody like BMW's and somebody likes Mercedes. People are so passionate about their gear and they should be otherwise it would had been a bad investment. There has been a lot of mud throwing around and it is tasteless.
    This a forum for people to express their opinions in the threads. People should be able to without getting nagged down.

Comments like "quack quack" and of such liking is a disgrace. It doesn't require a lot to keep the tone decent.
    Emil, you make some valid points. I think I’m going to lock this thread and begin to clamp down on secret shills,
    compensated brand ambassadors and dealers who fail to identify themselves. It sets a bad tone for those who are looking for legitimate feedback and doing their research. We just got through outing a known dealer on the forum who failed to identify himself. Audiogon forums are ramped with this behavior. With disclosure, people can obviously take dealer or manufacturer comments with a grain of salt. In an age of declining B&M stores, I have seen people make actual buying decisions based on the promotion by secret shills, only later to regret it. I think we can all agree, this needs to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41 46 47 48 49 50 51