Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

viking acoustics berlin r mk-ii -- "review"

Not being an industry professional, I am not really qualified to write a review that would in any way be comparable to one that might be read in a hi-end audio publication. With that caveat, what follows are my thoughts and impressions of the Viking Acoustics Berlin R Mk-II loudspeakers.

First of all, these are among the most beautiful speakers I have ever seen. They are a stand-mount loudspeaker which is on the large size for this form factor. The high quality specimen woods used are exquisite and the workmanship is simply astounding. The Berlin R Mk-IIs deserve to be on exhibit in the Guggenheim.

Aesthetics aside, the sound emanating from these loudspeakers is the most detailed, impactful and pleasing I have ever heard — by far. The bass is strong and can deliver what I would describe as “controlled slam”. By this I mean the bass is strong and prevalent but only when called for by the music. There is no gratuitous, pervasive low end that overwhelms and detracts from the overall sound. More importantly, the strong bass provides a foundation for the mid-range notes that makes them rich, full and beautiful. This characteristic cannot be overstated… the mids are just unbelievably alive.

More so than any other speaker I have heard, the high frequency notes are strong and clear yet never biting. With some other speakers when listening to music with prevalent highs one has to lower the volume. With the Berlin R Mk-IIs I can increase the volume as the highs are never ragged or grating.

Stepping back and considering the overall sound, I would describe it as highly organic. The sound is full, rich, extremely detailed and integrated. It could never be described as analytical or dry.

In summary, I would recommend anyone having the opportunity to hear the Berlin R Mk-II loudspeakers to jump on it. For anyone looking for the type and quality sound described above, these loudspeakers deserve to be in the mix and at the top of the list.

http://www.viking-acoustics.com/berlin-r

Notably, the Berlin R synergy with my 18 wpc tube amplifier is amazing.
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Audioshark

Re: viking acoustics berlin r mk-ii -- "review"

Thank you. This is excellent. I wish more members would do this. You guys know your stuff, otherwise you wouldn’t be here!

I look forward to hearing these speakers. Thank you again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

i believe viking will be at RMAF this fall -- i would encourage anyone interested to stop by and have a listen. go early or late to hear them in a quiet time.
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

I would second all that which was said above. I'm on my third pair of Viking speakers now, a near field model using the same drivers as the Berlin R Mk-II.

It's a neat looking speaker. Love the figuring on the horn. Being a wood worker, I appreciate great figures...

viking acoustics berlin r mk-ii -- one year on

now that i have had these speakers for a little over a year now, i thought i would add a quick update to the "review" posted after the first two months...

first off, the sound continued to improve over the course of the year, particularly, with respect to the bass (i would estimate 500 hours or so of playing time over that period). i suppose it just takes some time to fully break-in the 10-inch wide-band woofer with oversized AlNiCo motor. not that it wasn't to begin with but, the bass is now even more articulate, detailed and impactful - yet, never gratuitous.

there is absolutely none of the "shoutiness" that some attribute to horn speakers. in fact, these are not a compression-driver horn speaker. inside the speaker there is an air gap between the high frequency driver and the horn itself which makes it also a bass port. i have to say this "bass-horn-loaded tweeter system" design is remarkable and really needs to be heard to be fully appreciated.

if there is one phrase i would use to describe the overall sound at this point, it is "rich and organic" ...in spades. however, this would ignore the many other positive attributes i hear from these speakers.

david counsel, the owner of viking acoustics, is a gifted designer and manufacturer where build quality is second to none. i am convinced that if it were not for the artisanal nature of the way david chooses to run his company, viking acoustics would be among the more popular speakers on the market. hence, for those willing to stray a little from the beaten path, they will find a quite nice surprise.

finally, i must say that after settling in with the berlin r mk-ii's, i am convinced these speakers will see me out. that is how happy i am with the purchase.

oh, and did i mention stunningly beautiful...

Attached Images Attached Images

Errr OK , bet she sings sweet like Streisand , have the same Nose too ... !

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Errr OK , bet she sings sweet like Streisand , have the same Nose too ... !
    LMAO !! -- as they say, in the eyes of the beholder ;-)

Beautiful speakers, I have watched them from afar for a few years now. A previous hobby, carried over from my father, was wood working. (Step down house has no shop)

I appreciate your comments on the sound. I usually look askance at comments on the manufacture’s site.

i also appreciate your picture with the speaker close to a wall + corner. My room has size and configuration issues.

Currently doing research for an endgame amp + speaker setup for purchase over the next couple years, prior to retiring. My streamer/pre was the start of my final system. I currently am using my dad’s reconditioned McIntosh MC60s, and have some DIY Firstwatt amps. With a high sensitivity speaker, many more amp possibilities open up.

Ill look to see if they are displaying next year, I did not see them at Axpona, the 2 times w I went, with my son.
    Amplification : Modwright LS300 - Atma-Sphere "Class D" monoblocks
    Digital : MSB Premier DAC+Digital Director, Oppo 203, Sonos Port (W4S mod)
    Analog : Technics SL1200G, Boulder 508
    Speakers : Daedalus Audio Muse Studio
    Headphone : BHSE + Voce

i have found them pretty easy to place. i have moved them closer to and farther from the back wall, neither of which made any difference i could detect in my room. they are now a little less than 1' from the back wall. distance apart was not that critical but there was an optimal position in that dimension in my room and relative to the listening position. toe-in angle made a real difference in my room.

if interested to the point of learning more, you should drop an e-mail to david at viking. i found him very straightforward and you can discuss your room and positioning constraints. after talking with david over the course of a few months, i was quite comfortable in taking a chance and buying without auditioning. there have been no surprises and everything has been as described. that being said, vikings are pretty much dead-on the type speaker / sound that i was looking for, so i was quite comfortable making that decision.

in the recent past, he has displayed at RMAF but not at AXPONA to my knowledge.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

viking acoustics berlin r mk-ii -- "review"