Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Ma252

Ma252

Pulled down this little guy recently. Breaking it in with some new Shunyata Venom IC and speaker cables (thanks Mike!). So far, I’m really impressed with McIntosh’s tiniest offering.

Out of the box, I’m enjoying a great level of clarity, a surprising amount of oomph, low noise level, and separation of instruments that I haven’t had in my home before. It betters my old Supernait 2 and Dynaudio Focus setup in that regard, I think.

I’ll post more as time progresses and here’s a cell phone pic to tease those interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

Audioshark

Re: Ma252

Very nice Sean. Gorgeous.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

Congratulations Sean, looks awesome!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Your on your way, fasten your seatbelt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

wow - beautiful! looking forward to updates as you run it in.
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | almarro a318b + air tight atc-5 (phono) | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Thanks guys. I’m really happy with it so far. Spent a few hours last night after work listening to some CD’s and blu-ray concerts.

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Congratulations Sean!
    Rance

Synology DS411+II | GigaFOILv4 + Keces P3 Power Supply | Shunyata Alpha Ethernet | Lumin S1 | VAC Master Line Stage | VAC Signature 200 iQ amps | Kharma Elegance dB11-S | SVS PC-4000 subs x 2 | Shunyata 6000/T v2 | Kharma Elegance signal cables| Luminous Audio Technology power cables | Isoacoustics OREA vibration isolators | Solid Tech racks | Vicoustic room treatments | Acoustic Sciences Corporation IsoWall + IsoCeiling construction

Congrats, it will just get better from here on.
    McIntosh C2300 tube preamp, McIntosh MC601 monoblock amps, Triangle Art, Concerto TT, w/Lyra cart, Vandersteen 2CE Sig II, Oppo bdp95

HT: I
    ntegra DHC 40.2 AV PrePro, Marantz MA500 mono amp (x3) Plok Audio RR, C, RL, Velodyne 12" Sub, Sony PS-3

Cables: Audioquest, MIT, Crystal Clear

Richard Grey 1200S Power conditioner (RGPC)

Projector: Sony VPL VW60

Just another frontal pic after dusting the integrated off today. Sooner or later, I’ll upgrade our tv in the living room (which will be wall-mounted higher than the current tv) and I’ll be able to organize my system better, especially the cords behind.

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Sean,

Two weeks later. What do you think of its performance now after some break in?

Ma252

Hi Dizzie,

The 252 is just what I was looking for. It won’t compete with the far larger integrateds, or separates and mono’s but it certainly hits harder than you would expect, given its size.

The amp doesn’t seem to be pushed around with complex music passages; separation of instruments is strong and doesn’t smear as more instruments enter the frame. Airy highs with just the right amount of sparkle. By that I mean no brightness that many try to stay away from but good extension so I don’t feel cheated up high.

Bass hits harder than I had expected it would (again, given the amp’s size). Some of the lowest LFE notes seem slightly less defined but I’ll bet once I bring in speakers that are a better performance match, that will tighten right up. Also, my room is far from perfect so I might have to add some canvas art on the walls and some traps in the corners or something - but that is for a different day.

Mids seem to have a decent hint of warmth with the right recordings but, overall, I’d say a pretty flat frequency response.

I’m running Shunyata Venom cabling throughout (Venom HC (high current) power cord; XLR’s from the Lumin D2; RCA’s from the Oppo 203; and Venom speaker cables) so take that for what it’s worth. The preamp tubes are the stock private label ones from Mac.

I haven’t been able to push the amp more than a moderate amount as we are now in a condo building with a shared wall on one side. When I hung my tv, I noticed the dry wall is pretty thick (1.5”) but I don’t want my neighbor to come a knocking cause my music is too loud.

The only features of the 252 I haven’t tried out yet (that I want to) are the headphone and sub outputs. I’ll get to those eventually, though.

Hope this helps; more to come as it continues to break in and as I contemplate speaker options.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzie View Post
    Sean,

Two weeks later. What do you think of its performance now after some break in?

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Also, I forgot to mention that, as with most other amps, the sound quality matures as it warms up after 30-45 minutes of use.

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

nice to hear - sounds like the ma252 is a real winner.

looking forward to updates as you get more time on the amp -- especially what you think of its hybrid tube/SS design.
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | almarro a318b + air tight atc-5 (phono) | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Ma252

Really liking the tube pre. I imagine its the leading contributor to the lifelike vocals (especially females), splashy cymbals, and overall just the natural timbre. I wonder what improvement/changes I would realize from rolling tubes. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    nice to hear - sounds like the ma252 is a real winner.

looking forward to updates as you get more time on the amp -- especially what you think of its hybrid tube/SS design.

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Sean

Call Andy Bowman at Vintage Tube Service and talk to him about it. I suspect changing one of the pair will make the most difference.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Jack, I will definitely give Andy a call when it’s time. Looking at their site, they definitely seem to have substantial experience and knowledge.

For now, though, I will stick with the boring stock tubes until both the amp and LUMIN D2 are broken in and maybe even until I bring in better speakers. That way I can pick a set that complements my system best. I’d imagine the tubes that provide the sweetest sound are what I would appreciate regardless but it’s fun to try and go slow so I can appreciate the differences/improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Sean

Call Andy Bowman at Vintage Tube Service and talk to him about it. I suspect changing one of the pair will make the most difference.

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Sean

Understand completely. If you tend to like the warm sweet Mullard sound but not the Mullard NOS pricing ask him about the Matsushita tubes. All made in a factory in Japan set up and tooled by Mullard. I've got pairs of Matsushita's is both 12 volt and 6/7 volt tubes and they all have a house sound very close to Mullard. I just picked up a pair of the 12AX7's about six weeks ago.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Jack, I didn’t thank you before but wanted to - your advice is much appreciated.

Great to hear which tubes you are enjoying. If I recall correctly, preamp tubes have a much longer half life compared to output tubes; do I have that right? About how long can one expect to get out of set, on average?

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

I have gotten as long as seven years out of a pair of 6922's before in a preamp that didn't run them hard at about 25 hours a week. When I took them out they were still good just decided to change. As long as the Mc is not running them hot like an AI preamp or some of the CJ's you should be good at 3-5 years at least. You could NOS tubes in the pair used as the input tubes and just swap the other pair for Gold Lions if you decide to swap both. Another good source for European tubes though you need to know what you want is tubemonger.com in California.

Oh, good to hear. Amortizing the cost over several years means when it comes time, I can throw out a few bucks for better tubes.

The tubes don’t ever seem to get very warm, much less hot so I presume that means the pre isn’t pushing them all that hard.

Looking at vintage site, I see different microphonics; I presume I need the “line” ones? What is “super line”? Thanks so much again.

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Sean with Andy's tubes as you go from line up to MC phono preamp tubes they are tested to tighter tolerances and noise levels. I would expect that in that unit whichever pair is the main preamp input tubes would need super line level tubes.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks so much again for learnin’ me, Jack.

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Temporary setup isn’t the worst.

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Currently listening through the headphone output. I’m no can expert, but it sounds good enough to me. Drives my Senn’s with success.

I’ve read it doesn’t match the MHA150 but it shouldn’t given the units’ purposes and price tags. I’m just happy the MA252 headphone output doesn’t seem to have been an afterthought.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Ma252