Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

X or XA Series? Thiel 2.4s and Aesthetix Front End

I'm looking to replace my Aesthetix Atlas with another power amp and Pass is one of the possibilities at the top of the list. Honestly I'm tempted by high end class D but I don't think its going to quite cut the mustard yet so I may yet acquire another 100 pound beast. The Thiels spend most of their time around 4 ohms and can be tricky to drive. I think pure Class A would be great so I'm tempted more by the XA series than the X series but perhaps some of you pass-o-philes can explain the advantages and disadvantages of each and what you think might be best with my setup. I value midrange purity and presence above pretty much everything but hey, perfection would be good ya know? I listen mostly to classical and jazz ALOT (retired). Ideas? ALSO...how much power is "enough" in each of the two lines for my Thiel 2.4s? I do like to listen at close to concert levels (I attend about 20 Atlanta Symphony concerts each year).
    Aesthetix Janus (also Aesthetix Calypso), Aesthetix Atlas, Red Dragon M500, Bel Canto Ref600 (presently on loan), Bel Canto S300, Bel Canto M300, Woo Audio WA2 headphone amp, Beyerdynamic T1 Tesla headphones, Thiel 2.4s, vpi table & arm, dynavector diamond, Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Bryston BIT-20 isolation transformer/AC line conditioner.

Audioshark

X or XA Series? Thiel 2.4s and Aesthetix Front End

At 4ohm, 87db, a pair of XA100.8’s would be wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: X or XA Series? Thiel 2.4s and Aesthetix Front End

But would it be an upgrade over the Atlas ?

Personally, I would look for an used Momentum S200 / S250 to drive the Thiels. Both from the available current (Thiels are not easy to drive) and tonality point of view Momentums should compliment Thiels nicely). Used Momentums go for $14-$18k.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Thiels spend a lot of time below 4 ohms and with tough phase angles - the Class A/B amplifier should work much better.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    But would it be an upgrade over the Atlas ?

Personally, I would look for an used Momentum S200 / S250 to drive the Thiels. Both from the available current (Thiels are not easy to drive) and tonality point of view Momentums should compliment Thiels nicely). Used Momentums go for $14-$18k.
    Well its all purely subjective but the one time I've heard the Pass XA series there was a liquidity in the midrange that reminded me of tube gear a little bit, a dimensional quality that is difficult to pin down. Whether that's the result of a certain distortion profile I'm not sure. Not everything is an "upgrade" to everyone. Unfortunately although Atlanta is a 7 million person metropolitan area there's no Pass dealer nearby so I can't hear the most recent product and I obviously won't be able to trial them with my speakers. Honestly I'm more likely to find a used Pass amp since they seem to come to market frequently. So yes I expect a palpable midrange that the Atlas doesn't quite deliver.
    Aesthetix Janus (also Aesthetix Calypso), Aesthetix Atlas, Red Dragon M500, Bel Canto Ref600 (presently on loan), Bel Canto S300, Bel Canto M300, Woo Audio WA2 headphone amp, Beyerdynamic T1 Tesla headphones, Thiel 2.4s, vpi table & arm, dynavector diamond, Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Bryston BIT-20 isolation transformer/AC line conditioner.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    Thiels spend a lot of time below 4 ohms and with tough phase angles - the Class A/B amplifier should work much better.
    Thanks for this feedback. I know about the 4 ohm character throughout most of the bandwidth and the phase angle. I'll definitely ask a dealer or two. Ideally I would like to find a dealer that has sold both the "old" Thiels (the only one's worth listening to) and the Pass gear and was often asked to make this very recommendation: XA or X series?

I have a friend here on the forum that has a pair of XA100.5's driving a pair of Revel Studio 2's. They sound awesome, very organic natural sounding with a bit of warmth. If you like the Pass sound, give Pass a call and tell ask them how they would do with your speakers. They have been very informative when I have talked with them.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

I have a Class D amp driving my Thiel 3.7s (which are not an easy load) no problem. Doesn't even get above very slightly warm in temperature when listening at loud levels in my room (which is probably around 16x18, 10 foot ceilings (with a tray ceiling) and opens into other spaces. When my friend worked at a high end shop many moons ago, I did his installs and set-ups with him for many years. I've also owned 2.3s and 7.2s and delivered many pairs of Thiels. I was very skeptical about the Class D amp. I broke it in in a secondary system as I bought the amp with the mind set that at worst it would fit into a second or third system. Way exceeded my expectations. I am still shocked even though it has been many months. What shocks me most is not only the sound but how cool it runs (I've owned some beasts of amps over time).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Hi,
    i use Pass Xa100.8 with Wilson Sasha and with the B&W802d3 too.
    before Xa100.5but onlyin stereo....I'm happy.

If you can listen Grandinote (monos Demone) with 60watt try this last! A lot more power vs. Xa100.5/8 and what for a sound! no way for Xa!
    http://www.grandinote.it/demone%20-%20en.html

greets

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

X or XA Series?  Thiel 2.4s and Aesthetix Front End