Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Soulution Preamp with Non Soulution Amp

Hey sharks,

Just wanted to start a discussion on interesting amps to pair with a soulution pre. I have a 721 running into an odyssey kismet feeding some s5 mk2s.
    I don't _think_ i need a new amp, but it's an interesting topic to muse on

Would love to get ideas on possible pairings to try out. No worries re budget etc as I don't intend this to be a purchase advice thread

Happy Friday!

Re: Soulution Preamp with Non Soulution Amp

Quote Originally Posted by Skanda View Post
    Hey sharks,

Just wanted to start a discussion on interesting amps to pair with a soulution pre. I have a 721 running into an odyssey kismet feeding some s5 mk2s.
    I don't _think_ i need a new amp, but it's an interesting topic to muse on

Would love to get ideas on possible pairings to try out. No worries re budget etc as I don't intend this to be a purchase advice thread

Happy Friday!

Soulution seems to like Soulution meaning they seem to work together better than with others I have a solution amp and a ayre pre and will change to a solution pre when I can.
    very low noise floor just got the amp so still working it all out and breaking it in.
    I would get a solution amp if you can swing it
    Lyra Atlas, tri-planner, clear audio statement, Burmester 100, Ayre KXR20, Ayre MXR20, Ayre DX5, Adept Response line conditioner, Ayre signature interconnects, Cardas clear power cables,cardas clear speaker cables and Martin Logan CLX with Decenti subs with Cardas hex link.
    Not in use Infinity QLS and Ohm F

what soulution amp did you pick up? iirc soundstage review of ayre kx r/kx r twenty were on a soulution 710 or 700 monos
    which pre were you planning to pair with it?

I am not ready to buy any thing yet the 725 with phono is what I would look at.

I have the ayre MXR 20 pre now and had the ayre monos 20s great gear

I got the 701 still breaking it in is it better yes by a lot can not say much more till it is broke in and I get use to it

The pre is a ways off I am using a Burnmister 100 phono which I like a lot

Main problem with Soulution is cost for me I like the sound it is very hard to hear the top brands in my area or any area .

I can not see tubes coming back into my life they sound just fine they are not trouble free
    Lyra Atlas, tri-planner, clear audio statement, Burmester 100, Ayre KXR20, Ayre MXR20, Ayre DX5, Adept Response line conditioner, Ayre signature interconnects, Cardas clear power cables,cardas clear speaker cables and Martin Logan CLX with Decenti subs with Cardas hex link.
    Not in use Infinity QLS and Ohm F

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    I am not ready to buy any thing yet the 725 with phono is what I would look at.

I have the ayre MXR 20 pre now and had the ayre monos 20s great gear

I got the 701 still breaking it in is it better yes by a lot can not say much more till it is broke in and I get use to it

The pre is a ways off I am using a Burnmister 100 phono which I like a lot

Main problem with Soulution is cost for me I like the sound it is very hard to hear the top brands in my area or any area .

I can not see tubes coming back into my life they sound just fine they are not trouble free
    Hi Garth, congratulations on the soulution 701's. A true destination monoblock amplifier. I have been enjoying the 725 pre and 711 stereo amp for the last 4 yr.s and I am extremely pleased by the combo.

Please tell us more about the 701's as they break in.

I love your CLX's too.
    Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz DTC loom (complete), Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz DTC later generation wire, Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Supreme Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

i could be amicable to selling my 721 pre...they can be sent to the factory to be upgraded. i don't want to turn this into a buy/sale thread so just shoot me a PM if interested - maybe we can work something out

i was thinking of giving soulution + vitus a try or possibly soulution + luxman m900u. maybe mike has had a chance to try these pairings

Audioshark

i could be amicable to selling my 721 pre...they can be sent to the factory to be upgraded. i don't want to turn this into a buy/sale thread so just shoot me a PM if interested - maybe we can work something out

i was thinking of giving soulution + vitus a try or possibly soulution + luxman m900u. maybe mike has had a chance to try these pairings
    Definitely the Luxman!! What an amp! Doug’s review nails it.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

How long has it been since the Kismet was biased? It’s not hard to accomplish and can be used to really dial in the sound. They don’t normally drift much but if it has been a while...

Klaus will do it for you at Odyssey, but he is really backlogged so it would take a while. I can share biasing directions but I would call Klaus first to make sure he is ok with it. (Keep that 20 yr warrantee going)

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Dishman442 View Post
    How long has it been since the Kismet was biased? It’s not hard to accomplish and can be used to really dial in the sound. They don’t normally drift much but if it has been a while...

Klaus will do it for you at Odyssey, but he is really backlogged so it would take a while. I can share biasing directions but I would call Klaus first to make sure he is ok with it. (Keep that 20 yr warrantee going)
    my kismet was made brand new last summer. i will probably have a year on it in a month or so

Klaus would normally bias it based on a conversation with you and voltage reading from your house, but of course you don’t know whether it was correct for you until you heard it in your system. (Plus you may have changed components). Point being, there is always the option to re-bias to push your happy button.

Note: he is so busy, getting re-biased can take forever. I just bought a pair of used mono Khartago/Kismet he told me not to bother to send in for biasing as they would just sit on a shelf for a couple months.

My thought would be to be to call him for advice. (Evening is best) with his permission, re-bias them yourself or have someone local do it for you.

Whatever you decide, good luck in your pursuit. Happy listening!

James

Quote Originally Posted by Dishman442 View Post
    Klaus would normally bias it based on a conversation with you and voltage reading from your house, but of course you don’t know whether it was correct for you until you heard it in your system. (Plus you may have changed components). Point being, there is always the option to re-bias to push your happy button.

Note: he is so busy, getting re-biased can take forever. I just bought a pair of used mono Khartago/Kismet he told me not to bother to send in for biasing as they would just sit on a shelf for a couple months.

My thought would be to be to call him for advice. (Evening is best) with his permission, re-bias them yourself or have someone local do it for you.

Whatever you decide, good luck in your pursuit. Happy listening!

James
    thanks, yep, we went through the process before the build. i took measurements for about a month and found my median and average to be roughly 124v
    there's really nothing wrong with the sound - just that i'm always slightly curious about upgrading and what possible amps would pair nicely. you know how it goes

I didn't reply to this thread when it originally appeared because it seemed to become sidetracked. Considering how excited everyone was about Soulution a few years ago, the silence in this forum has been deafening. I would chalk it up to the close connection with Raidho, which had been on the outs for a while, even though Soulution continued to show with the likes of Magico at major events.
    Anyhoo, in response to the original topic, I found the 520/Hegel H30 combo extremely copacetic with Revel Salon2's. I never tried the combo with another speaker, but if I remember correctly the dealer who sold me the (demo) 520 used the combo with Raidho for customers who wanted to save a little money from an all-Soulution set-up. Musical with a solid bottom end, the 520's most pronounced characteristic in my system was the way it raised the layering of the soundstage to an astonishing level. Some dismiss this as audiophile artifacts, but I believe this is something engineers often strive to capture in recordings (not just a side effect of the recording process). And it sounds cool. Plus the remote was ergonomic, simple and had a nice feature that allowed you to lower the volume 20 dB at the press of a button. I got sidetracked trying to pair the 520 with the 501 monos -- not enough oomph for the Salons, kind of boring with the YGs. Should have kept the 520 (and the Hegel), but threw out the baby with the bathwater in pursuit of different.
    Parker

Quote Originally Posted by pdub View Post
    I didn't reply to this thread when it originally appeared because it seemed to become sidetracked. Considering how excited everyone was about Soulution a few years ago, the silence in this forum has been deafening. I would chalk it up to the close connection with Raidho, which had been on the outs for a while, even though Soulution continued to show with the likes of Magico at major events.
    Anyhoo, in response to the original topic, I found the 520/Hegel H30 combo extremely copacetic with Revel Salon2's. I never tried the combo with another speaker, but if I remember correctly the dealer who sold me the (demo) 520 used the combo with Raidho for customers who wanted to save a little money from an all-Soulution set-up. Musical with a solid bottom end, the 520's most pronounced characteristic in my system was the way it raised the layering of the soundstage to an astonishing level. Some dismiss this as audiophile artifacts, but I believe this is something engineers often strive to capture in recordings (not just a side effect of the recording process). And it sounds cool. Plus the remote was ergonomic, simple and had a nice feature that allowed you to lower the volume 20 dB at the press of a button. I got sidetracked trying to pair the 520 with the 501 monos -- not enough oomph for the Salons, kind of boring with the YGs. Should have kept the 520 (and the Hegel), but threw out the baby with the bathwater in pursuit of different.
    Parker
    thanks for sharing this experience. very interesting to read that the 520+501 was not as enjoyable for you as 520+hegel. this is making me think i should upgrade my 721 to a 725 or maybe trade down to a 520 even. did you find that soulution hegel combo lacked any of the speed of the soulution stack?

At least I am very happy with the 520, can only recommend it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    At least I am very happy with the 520, can only recommend it.

did you try other amps with it?

I tried several preamps with the Soulution 511, but the 520 ended the search.

But I have not tried the 520 with other power amps.

“Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

thanks for sharing this experience. very interesting to read that the 520+501 was not as enjoyable for you as 520+hegel. this is making me think i should upgrade my 721 to a 725 or maybe trade down to a 520 even. did you find that soulution hegel combo lacked any of the speed of the soulution stack?
    I’m not sure what is meant by speed. With the Salons I had a hard time finding a listening level where acoustic music sounded full and live — big room + difficult speaker load = not enough oomph. Kept raising volume, Salons would just yawn. With the YGs, albeit in a smaller room, I rarely found myself drawn into the music. Sorry, I have no idea why, and by this time the Hegel was long gone and I had no other amps on hand to try with the 520.
    Parker

Quote Originally Posted by pdub View Post
    Parker
    Hegel H30 is an awesome amp and miss mine too. If it wasn't built in China, probably 3X retail.

alright it's time to bump an old thread. bit of background, i demo'd the s5mk2's with a 530 integrated and it was fantastic and as i had mentioned earlier, i have a 721. i ordered a symphonic line kraft 300 as an upgrade to my odyssey kismet and it finally arrived and i got it set up and singing yesterday.

firstly, the magicos are really loving the extra power. my room isn't that big so i wasn't sure what to expect here but the speakers are completely disappearing and the room is saturated with sound. the soulution is still imparting it's beautiful tone, speed, and drive and the sl kraft is allowing everything to play with more headroom and there is a touch of bloom making the soundstage more expansive and just the slightest extension of decay that makes vocals just haunting.

i would not call this euphonic, it's still very accurate to the source but from my audio memory, granted we know thats limited, i am preferring this to the incredible accuracy that was on display with the 530 integrated. i am curious to see what will happen as the amp breaks in more. i have read that fm acoustics and soulution live in a similar family of tonality and sl and gryphon are slightly richer, slightly slower - not slow, just comparatively, a little more relaxed. i don't have experience with gryphon so maybe someone else can comment but so far i am getting that vibe as well.

my current conundrum: i have the opportunity to pick up a 710 at a good price (yes, the one on ag) but having just deadlifted an amp accross my room i'm not sure i'm in a hurry to buy another one. i'm also not sure if it could possibly be _that_ much better as i feel that at this point i'm being limited by room acoustics and recording quality. i listen to alot of modern music - i'm a huge fan of the weeknd ever since his first mixtape and i have been playing his new track heartless on repeat. not the most amazing recording but this system is allowing me to transport myself deeper into the mix and the emotion of lyrical delivery than i have ever experienced before.

sorry for the long post! not trying to turn this into an sl thread but i will follow up as the amp breaks in more.
    Last edited by Skanda; December 4, 2019 at 11:17 AM. Reason: typo

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team