Soulution Preamp with Non Soulution Amp - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Soulution Preamp with Non Soulution Amp

Klaus would normally bias it based on a conversation with you and voltage reading from your house, but of course you don’t know whether it was correct for you until you heard it in your system. (Plus you may have changed components). Point being, there is always the option to re-bias to push your happy button.

Note: he is so busy, getting re-biased can take forever. I just bought a pair of used mono Khartago/Kismet he told me not to bother to send in for biasing as they would just sit on a shelf for a couple months.

My thought would be to be to call him for advice. (Evening is best) with his permission, re-bias them yourself or have someone local do it for you.

Whatever you decide, good luck in your pursuit. Happy listening!

James

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dishman442 View Post
    Klaus would normally bias it based on a conversation with you and voltage reading from your house, but of course you don’t know whether it was correct for you until you heard it in your system. (Plus you may have changed components). Point being, there is always the option to re-bias to push your happy button.

Note: he is so busy, getting re-biased can take forever. I just bought a pair of used mono Khartago/Kismet he told me not to bother to send in for biasing as they would just sit on a shelf for a couple months.

My thought would be to be to call him for advice. (Evening is best) with his permission, re-bias them yourself or have someone local do it for you.

Whatever you decide, good luck in your pursuit. Happy listening!

James
    thanks, yep, we went through the process before the build. i took measurements for about a month and found my median and average to be roughly 124v
    there's really nothing wrong with the sound - just that i'm always slightly curious about upgrading and what possible amps would pair nicely. you know how it goes

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't reply to this thread when it originally appeared because it seemed to become sidetracked. Considering how excited everyone was about Soulution a few years ago, the silence in this forum has been deafening. I would chalk it up to the close connection with Raidho, which had been on the outs for a while, even though Soulution continued to show with the likes of Magico at major events.
    Anyhoo, in response to the original topic, I found the 520/Hegel H30 combo extremely copacetic with Revel Salon2's. I never tried the combo with another speaker, but if I remember correctly the dealer who sold me the (demo) 520 used the combo with Raidho for customers who wanted to save a little money from an all-Soulution set-up. Musical with a solid bottom end, the 520's most pronounced characteristic in my system was the way it raised the layering of the soundstage to an astonishing level. Some dismiss this as audiophile artifacts, but I believe this is something engineers often strive to capture in recordings (not just a side effect of the recording process). And it sounds cool. Plus the remote was ergonomic, simple and had a nice feature that allowed you to lower the volume 20 dB at the press of a button. I got sidetracked trying to pair the 520 with the 501 monos -- not enough oomph for the Salons, kind of boring with the YGs. Should have kept the 520 (and the Hegel), but threw out the baby with the bathwater in pursuit of different.
    Parker
    MSB/EMM/Ayre/Aurender/Luxman/Absolare/Classe/YG/AG/Revel/B&W/Audience/Sony ES/Pioneer Elite/Gallo/JL Audio/ASC/Stillpoint/GIK/Acoustic Revive [and, sadly, only one pair of ears...]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdub View Post
    I didn't reply to this thread when it originally appeared because it seemed to become sidetracked. Considering how excited everyone was about Soulution a few years ago, the silence in this forum has been deafening. I would chalk it up to the close connection with Raidho, which had been on the outs for a while, even though Soulution continued to show with the likes of Magico at major events.
    Anyhoo, in response to the original topic, I found the 520/Hegel H30 combo extremely copacetic with Revel Salon2's. I never tried the combo with another speaker, but if I remember correctly the dealer who sold me the (demo) 520 used the combo with Raidho for customers who wanted to save a little money from an all-Soulution set-up. Musical with a solid bottom end, the 520's most pronounced characteristic in my system was the way it raised the layering of the soundstage to an astonishing level. Some dismiss this as audiophile artifacts, but I believe this is something engineers often strive to capture in recordings (not just a side effect of the recording process). And it sounds cool. Plus the remote was ergonomic, simple and had a nice feature that allowed you to lower the volume 20 dB at the press of a button. I got sidetracked trying to pair the 520 with the 501 monos -- not enough oomph for the Salons, kind of boring with the YGs. Should have kept the 520 (and the Hegel), but threw out the baby with the bathwater in pursuit of different.
    Parker
    thanks for sharing this experience. very interesting to read that the 520+501 was not as enjoyable for you as 520+hegel. this is making me think i should upgrade my 721 to a 725 or maybe trade down to a 520 even. did you find that soulution hegel combo lacked any of the speed of the soulution stack?

Post Thanks / Like

At least I am very happy with the 520, can only recommend it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: AMG V12 + AMG 12j2 arm + Benz Micro Gullwing SLR MC/ Cardas Clear Beyond Phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Grandinote Celio/ Aurender N100H with Curious USB/ Synology NAS with Roon and HD Plex linear PSU with Shunyata HD/ AQ Diamond RJ45 + AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE/ Brinkmann Nyquist MK II/ Ayre KX-5 Twenty/ Soulution 511/ WyWires Platinum ICs + power cables/ Magico S3 mk2/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ REL S5 SHO/ REL Blue/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata AlphaHC (x2)+ Alpha+Alpha Analogue+Alpha Digital/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints Ultra SS.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Sbooster LPSU/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

6. Likes Dguitarnut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    At least I am very happy with the 520, can only recommend it.

did you try other amps with it?

Post Thanks / Like

Soulution Preamp with Non Soulution Amp

I tried several preamps with the Soulution 511, but the 520 ended the search.

But I have not tried the 520 with other power amps.

“Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: AMG V12 + AMG 12j2 arm + Benz Micro Gullwing SLR MC/ Cardas Clear Beyond Phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Grandinote Celio/ Aurender N100H with Curious USB/ Synology NAS with Roon and HD Plex linear PSU with Shunyata HD/ AQ Diamond RJ45 + AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE/ Brinkmann Nyquist MK II/ Ayre KX-5 Twenty/ Soulution 511/ WyWires Platinum ICs + power cables/ Magico S3 mk2/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ REL S5 SHO/ REL Blue/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata AlphaHC (x2)+ Alpha+Alpha Analogue+Alpha Digital/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints Ultra SS.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Sbooster LPSU/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skanda View Post
    thanks for sharing this experience. very interesting to read that the 520+501 was not as enjoyable for you as 520+hegel. this is making me think i should upgrade my 721 to a 725 or maybe trade down to a 520 even. did you find that soulution hegel combo lacked any of the speed of the soulution stack?
    I’m not sure what is meant by speed. With the Salons I had a hard time finding a listening level where acoustic music sounded full and live — big room + difficult speaker load = not enough oomph. Kept raising volume, Salons would just yawn. With the YGs, albeit in a smaller room, I rarely found myself drawn into the music. Sorry, I have no idea why, and by this time the Hegel was long gone and I had no other amps on hand to try with the 520.
    Parker
    MSB/EMM/Ayre/Aurender/Luxman/Absolare/Classe/YG/AG/Revel/B&W/Audience/Sony ES/Pioneer Elite/Gallo/JL Audio/ASC/Stillpoint/GIK/Acoustic Revive [and, sadly, only one pair of ears...]

10. Likes Skanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdub View Post
    Parker
    Hegel H30 is an awesome amp and miss mine too. If it wasn't built in China, probably 3X retail.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2