Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark

What is the single most influential cable for sound quality in an audio system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: What is the single most influential cable for sound quality in an audio system?

For analog cables it would be a poorly chosen or designed one that allows increased noise/interference.
    For digital cables it's more of a go, no go situation.

Re: What is the single most influential cable for sound quality in an audio system?

Perhaps the power cable(s) on amp(s)?

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Perhaps the power cable(s) on amp(s)?
    For me, the power cable on any piece of gear has made the biggest single improvement with each one added. ICs and speaker have yet to wow me as much as the power cables. Along that line, the power conditioners are the components that make the biggest improvement for me.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

BlueJean cables. Allowed me to spend more of my audio budget on other components that actually made a noticeable difference such as better speakers and amp.
    Living room:
    - McIntosh D1100
    - McIntosh MC601 mono blocks
    - Focal Sopra 2
    - McIntosh MCT450
    - Aurender N10

Office:
    - McIntosh D1100
    - McIntosh MC452
    - Focal Sopra 1 + Focal Utopia headphones
    - REL T9i subwoofer
    - Aurender N100C

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

All of them ...

For me it’s the design and work of the power cable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Funny back when I had Dynaudio C1's and the Octave V110 speaker cables made the most difference followed by interconnects and last was power cords.

That said with my current setup (and Lars coming to my home with Ansuz prototype cables doing an in home demo) it now is the power cords first (D-TC of course) followed by interconnects and last is speaker cables. Also although not a cable the Mainz D-TC power distribution made a bigger difference than anything especially when used with Ansuz power cables.
    George

Aavik U300 - Borresen 03 with optional Supreme D-TC feet - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz Supreme D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

Power cords. It all starts with clean, unimpeded power.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Quote Originally Posted by blueoak View Post
    BlueJean cables. Allowed me to spend more of my audio budget on other components that actually made a noticeable difference such as better speakers and amp.
    Blue Jeans Cable is at the sweet spot between price and highest quality construction.

If you spend more than BJC cables, you spent too much and gained nothing.

The cable from the power pole to my house.

I am surprised nobody has said the most influential cable is speaker cable. I am not saying it is, just that I thought it would get at least one vote. Perhaps speaker cable is harder to come by for auditioning. Also,unless bi-wired, there is only one pair of speaker cables in a system but multiple power cords and they are easier to swap.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzie View Post
    I am surprised nobody has said the most influential cable is speaker cable. I am not saying it is, just that I thought it would get at least one vote. Perhaps speaker cable is harder to come by for auditioning. Also,unless bi-wired, there is only one pair of speaker cables in a system but multiple power cords and they are easier to swap.
    I think it is. For me, it’s speaker, power, IC, digital.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Speaker cables for me as well. Especially my current MIT EVO. Power cables is cumulative effect. Wall to conditioner and the one on the DAC make most improvement. But I spent a lot more than blue jeans cables, so it could very well be my mind and ears playing tricks on me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Speaker and XLR IC combo (I only tested them as a combo) improved the imaging the most. Power cables the SQ and ‘weight’ of the sound. Digital the clarity.
    Digital: Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server + MSB Premier DAC with Powerbase
    Amp: Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
    Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables
    Power: AQ Niagara 5000 + AQ Tornado power cables
    Headphones (travel): Sennheiser Momentum + Chord Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
    For analog cables it would be a poorly chosen or designed one that allows increased noise/interference.
    For digital cables it's more of a go, no go situation.
    agreed, makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by blueoak View Post
    again, agreed, follows what 'Speedy' said above ......
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzie View Post
    My initial thought was power cords, but after considering what I could live without, speaker cables are more important. If I switched back to all stock power cords and kept my pricey speaker cables, I believe I would have better sound than a pricey power cord and some hardware store speaker wire that I used to use.

Dave
    Speaker: Rockport Avior & Mira, B&W 803 D
    Amp: Nagra HD Monos, McIntosh Mc303 & 601
    Pre: Nagra HD pre
    Source: Esoteric K-01X & G-01, Aurender W20
    Cable: Transparent Ref Gen 5 SC & Ref XL PC
    Grounding: Tripoint Elite, Thor SE, Emperor Mkii

It might depend on the manufacturer but I will go with speaker cable.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    My initial thought was power cords, but after considering what I could live without, speaker cables are more important. If I switched back to all stock power cords and kept my pricey speaker cables, I believe I would have better sound than a pricey power cord and some hardware store speaker wire that I used to use.

Dave
    What about Miguels grounding system , these are cables too ..?

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    The cable from the power pole to my house.

Nothing two rocks tied to a big cable cant fix ..

Analog:

MC amplification from 0.2 mV to line level - 80 dB, about 10,000 times:

1. cord from cardridge to pre amp
    2. cord from phono stage to line amp

every electron (whatever that might be) counts.

my 50 ct.
    hifi:
    power: Audioplan Powerstar, Audioplan Finefilter, Audioplan Powerplant, Powercord
    tube amp: Jadis DA 50 Signature RC, Line Magnetic 508ia
    speaker: Living Voice Avatar 2
    turntable: Pro-Ject Xtension 10 + Ortofon Quintet Black MC
    phono stage: Remton 383 MKII
    cables: Audioplan Musicable bic 7a, Profigold, Wilbrand

home-cinema: Sony blu-ray, Yamaha rx v2700, Heco Metas 700 (4x), Heco center

If I may venture a guess, a dedicated (20A) line might lessen the weight/importance of individual power cords to audio components, thus allowing for greater discernible differences heard with varying speaker (and interconnect) cables, comparatively. Again, just thinking-aloud thoughts, nothing more.

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    What about Miguels grounding system , these are cables too ..?
    You are correct! The Emperor MKii ground cable Miguel is shipping tomorrow will take the cake. His products get me closer to the sound I'm chasing. I guess I was thinking in terms of cable necessity. Obviously you can get sound without grounding cables but after you hear them, would you want it without?

Dave
    Speaker: Rockport Avior & Mira, B&W 803 D
    Amp: Nagra HD Monos, McIntosh Mc303 & 601
    Pre: Nagra HD pre
    Source: Esoteric K-01X & G-01, Aurender W20
    Cable: Transparent Ref Gen 5 SC & Ref XL PC
    Grounding: Tripoint Elite, Thor SE, Emperor Mkii

mauidan

Cable from circuit box to the listening room:

Audience Introduces Its Hidden Treasure
    High-Performance In-Wall AC Power Cable

San Marcos, CA, June 26, 2018Audience today announced the introduction of its Hidden Treasure in-wall power cable, designed to provide the highest level of AC power delivery in custom-installation audio, home theater, multiroom, architectural and other in-wall applications.

Audience’s Hidden Treasure connects from a home’s circuit breaker box to the user’s audio or home theater system. It is UL CL2-approved for use in 120-volt and 220-volt AC in-wall applications. Hidden Treasure is engineered for maximum signal conductivity, durability and shielding from electrical interference.

“Our new Hidden Treasure power cable is an all-out effort to provide a truly high-performance AC power wire for in-wall systems,” said John McDonald, president of Audience. “It’s the result of extensive testing and evaluation and what we’ve learned from our team’s more than 20 years of combined experience in designing our world-renowned AC powerChords.”

Hidden Treasure features three 10 AWG stranded 99.9999 percent pure oxygen-free copper (OFC) conductors. The wire is cryogenically treated to relieve stresses that can be imparted to the wire during manufacturing and to re-align the microstructure in the copper for improved conductivity. The conductors are foil-shielded to provide rejection from external electrical noise. The dielectric (insulation) is made from XLPE cross-linked polyethylene insulation with a PVC sleeve for unmatched durability.

Hidden Treasure is flexible and easy to install and has a diameter of approximately 0.75 inches (18 mm).

McDonald concluded, “We are extremely happy with what we’ve achieved and with the benefits that Hidden Treasure can provide to an in-wall audio or A/V system.”

Audience Hidden Treasure AC power cable is currently available at a suggested retail price of $22 per foot.

Click here for high-resolution image of Audience Hidden Treasure power cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    If I may venture a guess, a dedicated (20A) line might lessen the weight/importance of individual power cords to audio components, thus allowing for greater discernible differences heard with varying speaker (and interconnect) cables, comparatively. Again, just thinking-aloud thoughts, nothing more.

Regardless and what you say is important, PC will still make a difference , as do star grounding...

Regards

Agreed. Please note I didn’t say power cords wouldn’t yield a change on top of a dedicated line, but that it could potentially be a smaller difference. And I would expand by stating the obvious, all of this is likely system dependent.

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Regardless and what you say is important, PC will still make a difference , as do star grounding...

Regards

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

My experience is that the effect cables have on the end product is cumulative. Reduction in the quality of any one cable will result in a loss of sound quality.
    Amplification: BAT VK-3i, BAT VK-200
    Speakers: Infinity RS7 Kappa
    Analog: Sota Star, SME M2-9, Sound Smith Aida, BAT VK-P5 6 Pak Plus
    Digital: Audirvana/Tidal, Sonos Connect, Denon DCD-1560, Emotiva XDA-1
    Power: ​PS Audio Power Plant Premier
    Cable:Harmonic Technology AC-11 Power, Audio Sensibility Impact SE PC OCC phono, Neotech NEI-3002 PC OCC balanced Interconnects, Acoustic Zen Satori PC OCC speaker cable.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team