Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Question Atacama or Quadraspire bamboo racks?

I'm thinking of getting a new hifi rack but there are so many to choose from.
    I've had my current Soundstyle rack for many years, made from metal with glass shelves which I've read is not good for removing vibrations.
    There is also Russ Andrews Torlyte racks but I don't know if they are any better than the above brands?
    I live in the UK. Are there any others worth looking into?
    I've noticed that metal columns are used on these racks and was wondering why bamboo wasn't used instead?
    I'm also wondering how well have they been tested during the design stage?
    I've Google searched for reviews - Whathifi seems to love the two main ones I'm looking at but can I believe what they say?

Any help will be much appreciated.
    Boenicke Audio W11 Speakers with SwingBase; MFA Baby Reference V2 Passive Preamp; Lumin T2; Nord One SE UP NC500DM Stereo; SRM Arezzo Turntable; Ortofon 2M Blue; Michael Fidler MM Pro; 2 x REL S/510; Van Damme Blue series/Mark Grant

ATMOS/DTS X 5.1.4: Sony VPL-VW290ES; 103" Screen Excellence Enlightor Neo; Arcam AVR390; Nakamichi AVP1; Sony UBP-X800M2; XTZ Cinema Series: M6, S5, S2; XTZ 12.17 Sub

Re: Atacama or Quadraspire bamboo racks?

have a look at hi-fi racks ltd.

very high quality, built to your specs, changeable/upgradable, WAF compliant... i have their podium t5 iii stands and love them. a new rack from them is on my upgrade path.

http://www.hifiracks.co.uk
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    have a look at hi-fi racks ltd.

very high quality, built to your specs, changeable/upgradable, WAF compliant... i have their podium t5 iii stands and love them. a new rack from them is on my upgrade path.

http://www.hifiracks.co.uk
    Thanks for the link. I'll have a look.
    Boenicke Audio W11 Speakers with SwingBase; MFA Baby Reference V2 Passive Preamp; Lumin T2; Nord One SE UP NC500DM Stereo; SRM Arezzo Turntable; Ortofon 2M Blue; Michael Fidler MM Pro; 2 x REL S/510; Van Damme Blue series/Mark Grant

ATMOS/DTS X 5.1.4: Sony VPL-VW290ES; 103" Screen Excellence Enlightor Neo; Arcam AVR390; Nakamichi AVP1; Sony UBP-X800M2; XTZ Cinema Series: M6, S5, S2; XTZ 12.17 Sub

Are there any independent reviews of these racks anywhere?
    I can't seem to find any.

Quote Originally Posted by Showroom Dummies View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a new hifi rack but there are so many to choose from.
    I've had my current Soundstyle rack for many years, made from metal with glass shelves which I've read is not good for removing vibrations.
    There is also Russ Andrews Torlyte racks but I don't know if they are any better than the above brands?
    I live in the UK. Are there any others worth looking into?
    I've noticed that metal columns are used on these racks and was wondering why bamboo wasn't used instead?
    I'm also wondering how well have they been tested during the design stage?
    I've Google searched for reviews - Whathifi seems to love the two main ones I'm looking at but can I believe what they say?

Any help will be much appreciated.
    You will be getting ringing from the metal and the glass shelves will add their own sonic signature by pushing the treble forward.

Wood is best. Torlyte is a honeycomb design and performs well. (I have four Torlyte stands in my own system). Another good performer is marine ply because of the sandwitch construction with the grain crossing over. I have had some of my best sound improvements by getting the foundations right.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclopse View Post
    You will be getting ringing from the metal and the glass shelves will add their own sonic signature by pushing the treble forward.

Wood is best. Torlyte is a honeycomb design and performs well. (I have four Torlyte stands in my own system). Another good performer is marine ply because of the sandwitch construction with the grain crossing over. I have had some of my best sound improvements by getting the foundations right.
    Would you say bamboo and wood are about the same in their performance?

You are on the right path. Imo. My first rack was a Soundstyle, same as you describe. I moved away from glass shelving and into “wood” w/ metal posts. First, Solidsteel racks, then Quadraspire Bamboo SVT. The quad Bamboo rack is the best bang for the buck out there regarding shelving. Looks great, sounds great, and relatively speaking a great value. In my mind, Quadraspire bamboo plus Stillpoints = vibration control as good as the big boy stratosphere priced racks. At least that’s what I tell myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use a Timbernation solid maple rack so I would lean towards having the guys at HiFi Racks custom build what you want just make sure to account for the extra depth of some brands of gear.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
    You are on the right path. Imo. My first rack was a Soundstyle, same as you describe. I moved away from glass shelving and into “wood” w/ metal posts. First, Solidsteel racks, then Quadraspire Bamboo SVT. The quad Bamboo rack is the best bang for the buck out there regarding shelving. Looks great, sounds great, and relatively speaking a great value. In my mind, Quadraspire bamboo plus Stillpoints = vibration control as good as the big boy stratosphere priced racks. At least that’s what I tell myself.
    What do you mean by 'Stillpoints'?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I use a Timbernation solid maple rack so I would lean towards having the guys at HiFi Racks custom build what you want just make sure to account for the extra depth of some brands of gear.
    I do like the look of the Timbernation racks.

I need shelves for five items plus space for the Sbooster and Rothwell Rialto.
    I don't want the rack to be too low or high: Too low where I have to bend to place records on the turntable and too high where the turntable is above the windowsill.
    At the moment I need shelves for six items but one of those items is a Sony MDS-JB920 minidisc player/recorder which I have not used in years, so really I'm only looking at five.
    I will eventually get rid of the cd player so that will be another shelf not needed.
    At the moment I have two 4 shelf Soundstyle hifi racks.
    I'm thinking of doing the same, but I'm also thinking of getting the AV rack (Grand Stand XL) instead. Something to think about.
    I like the look of this design from Hifiracks.co.uk:

http://www.hifiracks.co.uk/products/...ks/Grand-Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Showroom Dummies View Post
    Would you say bamboo and wood are about the same in their performance?
    Bamboo is very strong. I have never ‘heard’ it. Naturally sourced so I think it will be very similar to wood with its presentation.

Slovakian brand Neo like model Quattron

Marcin

I think i will be getting one from hifiracks.co.uk that will look like this, but with a plinth added to the top for my turntable:

I'm not sure what to do.

I've been in contact with a lady from Hifiracks via email (I don't know how knowledgeable she is about the finer details) and from what I can make out, they don't test their racks and if they don't test their racks how do they know their racks do the job of getting rid of vibrations?
    I know Whathifi? have good reviews but I don't really rate them.

I'm most probably thinking too much into it, but I want to know that a rack is doing what it is meant to be doing, especially when spending over £800!

I'm now thinking of getting the Quadraspire SVT with bamboo shelves even though it's more expensive.
    From what I've read, they test their racks.

I also like the look of the Atacama Eris Eco 5.0 but not sure how good they are.

I'm going to have think about it especially as I was put off of by the look of the SVT. I've read that pictures don't do them justice.

Quadraspire X-Reference rack is gorgeous.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    Quadraspire X-Reference rack is gorgeous.

Very expensive though.

Found out Hifiracks do test their racks so that's good news.
    I am now thinking about the Quadraspire SVT.

I've ordered the Hifiracks Podium Reference rack.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Atacama or Quadraspire bamboo racks?