Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMP8

Re: AMP8

Randy.......Your new T+A components are quite attractive. The sleek and compact design exudes typical German attention to detail without being pretentious. The T+A AMP 8 packs a lot of power into its diminutive package. I was impressed to read the amplifier uses ThermalTrak output transistors. This advanced transistor design allows each transistor to bias itself independently in real time according to the output device's temperature. This ensures extremely low distortion and nearly perfect linearity across the audio frequency band and beyond at all output levels. I noticed also that there is a cooling fan. Is it audible at any time?

Your sound system has been in a relatively constant state of flux these past few years but it appears you are now reaching a level that should satisfy you for years to come. Congratulations on a fine looking sound system.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Thank you Dan. I think I am finally reaching a point of satisfaction. I am really liking the T+A gear. Very high quality, and as they have stated, the gear is not design to last for years, it is designed to last decades!

I have never heard the fan; T+A say you probably will never hear it because it is a low spin fan.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I feel Randy should now add the MP8 and have a total T&A system
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    I feel Randy should now add the MP8 and have a total T&A system
    Na, he's mentioned how he likes SACD. Randy, you need the MP-2500R.

Sounds good... you guys pitching in to get one for me ....

Yea, the MP 8 would be sooooo much nicer if it played SACD... and as the most expensive of the three
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Sounds good... you guys pitching in to get one for me ....

Yea, the MP 8 would be sooooo much nicer if it played SACD... and as the most expensive of the three
    I know I was reading the manual, the unit doesn';t even support DSD by its self, it has to be used with a DSD DAC and still the manual doesn't mention it actually working with DSD, so some clarification is needed.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

It is definitely designed to go along with the DAC 8 DSD; however this should not exclude it from doing SACD. It could be like Esoteric, McIntosh, PS Audio, etc., and do direct link to the DAC and use their proprietary converter for SACDs ...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

The amp continues to break in nicely. Very subtle differences. It seems like it has settled into what I assume is the T+A sound in first 30+ hours. Not sure how many actual hours are on the amp. I would guess under 100 for sure; it is really smoothing out. Very fast, similar to the Goldmund, but much smoother and seems to be very well made. I still am very impressed with the sound stage. Better then any if the others I have had, and better then I have heard (other than the MBL that a buddy has, then again his system is probably 10 times the price of mine ).

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Glad to hear your amp is breaking in nicely, Randy. Please continue to update as any changes come about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

The T+A AMP 8 is settling in very nicely. I can honestly say that I am very pleased with the sound and the quality of construction. I would serious consider their higher level products if I could afford to look for equipment in that price range.

There are only two small considerations; thoughts if you will.

1) I am not particularly fond of the auto power. It seems to work fine, but having the amp power up from signal on the inputs would not be my choice. The trigger cable from the DAC is fine, but I mostly want them to power separately. Would prefer a power switch on the front or standard power trigger from the pre-amp.

2) The size . It is so darn small (for a power amp) that it is hard to wrap my head around how good it is .

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Glad to hear the T+A amp is settling in nicely, Randy. It’s been a great watching your journey (in your other thread). Keep the updates coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

Randy did you sell your AMP 8?
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Hey Marty,

I have not yet. I was going to be putting together an ad in the next couple days.

It is a really great amp, and absolutely amazing if someone is looking for a compact top quality German built amplifier.

My problem is I just got the SET amps that I am enthralled with. I also got the classic McIntosh that looks and sounds like the day it rolled out of the factory (and being from Binghamton this has to stay in my system). I just don't think I need a third amplifier at this time. This makes the newest and arguably the better of the three as the odd man out.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Today we are going to be hosting family for our Christmas get together. I have been listening to the SET amp comparing some NOS tubes I recently picked up. Enjoying the heck out of it.

However, since I do not like all of the tubes up there playing away, all day, without watching over them at least for the most part, I decided to hook the T+A amplifier back up. I forgot what a wonderful sounding amplifier this truly is. Full rich, cool running; perfect for this type of use.

I have had this amplifier on the market for a little bit thinking do I really need three amplifiers (well four if you count the mono blocks ). I believed that I could always hook up the McIntosh if I wanted to give some Solid State lovin... and yes I could, but I keep the McIntosh more or less as a showpiece because it is in Museum quality shape and it holds a soft spot in my heart reminding me of my hometown. But this T+A is really good... so now I have a dilemma again. Do I sell it or hang on to it for these types of situations? Definitely a first world problem... right now I am thinking if someone wanted it I would probably sell it, but by the end of the day I maybe will not ....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I’d you’re not sure, keep it!

So I hooked up the Amp 8 today. What a great sounding amp! I have a decision to make. I have to sell one of my amps to help finance the new laptops my wife wanted. Falcon Northwest laptops are not cheap . So either the T+A or the SET need to be sold. It seems people simply do not understand how fantastic T+A is here in the States ...

The Audio Mirrors coming off The Absolute Sound rave review might be easier to sell... I could live with either, the T+A or the SET mono blocks.

Going to give it a few days to decide... I guess we will see how it goes.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

how much money does a gamer laptop cost nowadays?
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

The Falcons are true desktop replacements; desktop CPU and GPU, etc. Coming in at over $3k... each...

A very good machine like an Alienware or Republic of Gamers can be had under $2k. But with Falcon you get something pretty special .

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Since I recently sold the McIntosh amp the T+A is staying put as my SS backup for the SET mono blocks. I decided to hook it up today to see how it matches up with the Stage 2 pre. What a wonderful sounding amplifier. People who avoid this amp because of its size are simply missing out.

This is definitely one of the best sounding amplifiers I have owned... period!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

T + A makes great gear. I’m sure it’s even better with the stage 2.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Yes Joe, it is fantastic. T+A is very impressive gear! Very happy where I am at. The SET amps for when I want some toobs... and the great T+A, which might become my main stay amp... so so good with the Stage 2!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

The T+A definitely won out. So much so that I sold the Audio Mirrors. The more I listen the more I did not want to listen to the tubes. The T+A is amazing sounding amp and the bottom end was sooo much better then the Tubes.... incredible sound stage and very inviting sounding, very musical in every way... all in all, after I finally got over the feeling that it can't be great because it is small, I have came to realize that this may very well be the best sounding amplifier I have ever owned! Such an amazing little amplifier!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I hosted our audio club meeting last weekend. This steller little amp played all day, at fairly high levels. The audio club guys definitely like to get a little volume behind things. It was an absolute champ all day. Never once did I detect any kind of clipping no matter how hard they pushed it.

The club came away impressed with the wonderful T+A gear. Our one member who writes for Stereophile was very impressed. He stated that the synergy between the Stage 2 and the T+A was amazing. He had wrote a review of the DAC a while back but never had heard the amp before. He stated that he was shocked at how good it is!

At this point I can definitely state that the T+A Amp 8 is the finest amplifier I have ever owned. Unless I can ever afford an amp at many times the price I simply cannot imagine finding a better sounding amplifier! I am very happy I stuck it out with the T+A until it was fully broken in. It accomplished something that I had thought would not be possible; it won out over the SET mono amplifiers!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

AMP8