Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Audioshark

Magico M3 Review

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...eid=04981e95ea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Magico M3 Review

Only at absolute sound can an M3 beat a Corvette .....

I believe that’s an old review??

The reason I say that I remember reading it months ago and wondering about his listening to digital and quoting the MSB Select yet in his equipment listing he claims to have an MSB Reference.

yeah, it's been out for at least a month. They must post-date.

Good to know. I didn't want to read it since the latest issue hasn't arrived yet, but I did remember reading a review in the past. Now I can go and reread it.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post
    I believe that’s an old review??
    I think the M3’s were on the cover of the previous months issue, with a reference to the review.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

I'd really like to buy a pair of M3, but I must sell my Q3 first. There's been no interest on the used market for my Q3, except for a silly offer from a buyer in Texas.

Finland, that´s somewhere in Northern Europe

Kuoppis, time to dump the S3 and go down in the alphabet?

A? Why would you dump S for A?

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    A? Why would you dump S for A?
    I think M was meant.

Oh. My interpretation of alphabet going down is Z-A. Going up is A-Z. Unless up and down is backwards in the northern hemisphere. But then, backwards and forwards might also be confusing in the hemispherical sense.

Quote Originally Posted by walesi View Post
    Kuoppis, time to dump the S3 and go down in the alphabet?
    Not feeling the itch right now. I am very happy with the S3 mk2’s.

How about yourself?

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Yea, from S to M. From M to A, maybe not. 😃

And yea, I’ll stay in S too, at least for the time being.

The only reason why I would move on from my speakers is if I decide to swap out my Diablo for either the Colosseum or the Antileon Evo. Am more than happy with my Diablo though. With the MSB Premier I think I will have a very well rounded system. The next step would be a big one as it would be amp and speakers. Could do it in stages but cost-wise it would be a big step. Fun to think about
    Digital: Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server + MSB Premier DAC with Powerbase
    Amp: Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
    Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables
    Power: AQ Niagara 5000 + AQ Tornado power cables
    Headphones (travel): Sennheiser Momentum + Chord Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    The only reason why I would move on from my speakers is if I decide to swap out my Diablo for either the Colosseum or the Antileon Evo. Am more than happy with my Diablo though. With the MSB Premier I think I will have a very well rounded system. The next step would be a big one as it would be amp and speakers. Could do it in stages but cost-wise it would be a big step. Fun to think about
    The Premier sound is so great, based on what I heard in Munich, that it will give you something to digest for a while.

Really happy for you, great choice.

I'd really like to buy a pair of M3, but I must sell my Q3 first. There's been no interest on the used market for my Q3, except for a silly offer from a buyer in Texas.
    A local owner updated to M3’s from Q3’s and was really happy. I tried to grab the Q3’s, but finding a home for the S3’s proved a similar challenge.

I took it as a sign that the M3’s are what are meant to be for me .
    Main System:
    Speakers: Magico S3 MK1 | Amp: Boulder 1160 | Pre-Amp: Ref10 | Digital: DCS Vivaldi 3/4 stack & esoteric K07x | Phono-Pre: ARC Ref 2se | Phono: AMG Viella w\ 12JT & Benz LPS cart.

Living Room:
    Speakers: KEF LS50 | Amp: Primaluna Prologue Premium | Digital: Lumin D2

I just bought a used pair of Q3s. They are fantastic. I'm sure the M3s are even better, but the price difference is substantial. My friend's who have heard it all think the Q3 was a steal. The single crate is inconvenient, the speakers are really heavy, and they need lots of power, but they sound great in my system. I'm sure that when the time comes, they will be hard to sell. Expensive audio gear seems tough to sell now.
    Link to my system thread: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...l-sound.32867/
    Analog: Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, 2 NOS SME 3012R tonearms, 2 vdH Colibri Grand Cru, Colibri XPP
    Electronics: Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe, Lamm LL1.1 Signature, Lamm ML2
    Speakers: Vitavox CN-191 corner horns
    Cables: Stock SME phono cables, DIY ICs and speaker cables, Ching Cheng power cords, custom rack and amp stands

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I just bought a used pair of Q3s. They are fantastic..
    Q3 (on SPOD) are the best sound I have yet heard. I'm confident M3 are that much better, I wouldn't hesitate to buy them sound unheard.

Congrats! The Q3s' single crate is indeed a nightmare. The introduction of the new M series made the Q series prices plummet - which makes them a great buy now (if you have the room AND amplification needed).
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

No. I suspect A3 made the used price of Q3 plummet.

No. I suspect A3 made the used price of Q3 plummet.
    Interesting comment. The A3 may affect the prices of many new and used speakers.

I saw two Q3s for sale on Audiogon over a year ago, long before the A3 announcement. They were asking in the low $20Ks. Those who have compared the A3 to the S3 Mk2 prefer the S3 Mk2. Those who have compared the S3 Mk2 to the Q3 prefer the Q3. It follows that they would prefer the Q3 to the A3. I don't know as I have not heard the A3. The build quality is not as good as the Q3. I'm sure they sound different and were designed for different customers.
    Analog: Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, 2 NOS SME 3012R tonearms, 2 vdH Colibri Grand Cru, Colibri XPP
    Cables: Stock SME phono cables, DIY ICs and speaker cables, Ching Cheng power cords, custom rack and amp stands

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    Congrats! The Q3s' single crate is indeed a nightmare. The introduction of the new M series made the Q series prices plummet - which makes them a great buy now (if you have the room AND amplification needed).

Attached Images Attached Images

They look beautiful. A3 are hardly a competition to S3 / Q3 performance wise to my ears.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    They look beautiful. A3 are hardly a competition to S3 / Q3 performance wise to my ears.
    This does not surprise me in the least. However, for those looking at that $10K price point, I imagine the A3 is worth an audition.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I saw two Q3s for sale on Audiogon over a year ago, long before the A3 announcement. They were asking in the low $20Ks.
    That's right. The best (and only) offer I received for my Q3 was $13.5K.

That's right. The best (and only) offer I received for my Q3 was $13.5K.
    Adam

Audioshark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cXFJk7e8JY

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cXFJk7e8JY

Great to hear Sultans through M3. If possible, could you please post a video with same track through your Constellation amps when you get them. Many thanks

My electronics are now sitting on Critical Mass footers (clock, DAC and pre-amp, each on their own CM footers)....The M3 have been sounding a bit muddy since then, particularly at the bottom end. They still look great. I was going to upgrade to Mpods on outriggers, but the spiked Mpods probably have changed that plan. I'm wondering if I can have some outriggers CNC'd and anodized, use with the spiked Mpods.

Audioshark

My electronics are now sitting on Critical Mass footers....The M3 have been sounding a bit muddy since then, particularly at the bottom end. They still look great. I was going to upgrade to Mpods on outriggers, but the spiked Mpods probably have changed that plan. I'm wondering if I can have some outriggers CNC'd and anodized, use with the spiked Mpods.

Can you move them out from the walls (side and back) a little?

They are already 53 inches off the back wall (measured from wall to front of speaker enclosure, the amp infringes on that space however)...and the side "wall" is just a curtain, the real wall is about 10' away.

Audioshark

They are already 53 inches off the back wall (measured from wall to front of speaker enclosure, the amp infringes on that space however)...and the side "wall" is just a curtain, the real wall is about 10' away.
    Give them time. Play some Daft Punk Random Access (seriously). Get the drivers worked in. Takes hundreds of hours.

Things went muddy when the CM went under the electronics....I thought they came good for a while last night but today they've gone muddy again. Something whacky going on with those CM footers.

M3 improved enormously when the casters came off and the Mpods bedded down into concrete. The CF side walls of the M3 vibrated like crazy when on the casters, since they went on the spikes the cabinet resonances have gone. I haven't checked the faceplate tie-rod tensions yet, I'll do that when the speakers have a couple of hundred hours on them.

Audioshark

Things went muddy when the CM went under the electronics....I thought they came good for a while last night but today they've gone muddy again. Something whacky going on with those CM footers.
    Yes...do you remember reading what they need? Two weeks break in. Sounds absolutely goofy, but it’s true. After one week, the system they were in sounded awful. After two weeks, superb! (And I didn’t listen in between).

The electronics have only been on the CM for 4 days thus far...for what they cost I could have bought a proper rack.

My current thinking for next step is either Grandioso P1X or D1X. I haven't decided which yet.

Audioshark

The electronics have only been on the CM for 4 days thus far...
    10 days to go.

Congrats, great choice.

So far, I have burned on pair of S1s, one pair of S3s and one pair of S3 mk2s. My experience is that Magicos need about 500 hrs. of burn-in. Although, the current generation requires less than first one. The mk2s sounded great out-of-the box, but still settled for a while.

Enjoy in good health.

I’m streaming Spotify and it sounds great, but I’m itching to get my hands on a Grandioso P1X to hear what these speakers are really capable of.

A new power center is also on my radar...Gigawatt, PS Audio P20, Accuphase PS-1230. Not many choices...I’m leaning towards the Accuphase but I’m not a fan of the Accuphase aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Congrats, great choice.

So far, I have burned on pair of S1s, one pair of S3s and one pair of S3 mk2s. My experience is that Magicos need about 500 hrs. of burn-in. Although, the current generation requires less than first one. The mk2s sounded great out-of-the box, but still settled for a while.

Enjoy in good health.

My experience with S3 MkIIs similar to Kuoppis's. Bass is the most obvious. It doesn't break in evenly - in fact, awful at times. My dealer had a similar experience. Checked with Magico and was advised that the drivers break in at different rates due to their different positioning within the enclosure.

Now that M3 is supplied with the new spiked Mpod, is there any role now for the original Mpod on 3-pt stand? I'm just weighing up the option of buying the optional Mpods for my M3. I can understand Mpods being an upgrade over the original M3 steel spikes, I'm just trying to undertsand what the optional Mpods might bring to the party compared to the new spiked Mpods.

A new power center is also on my radar...Gigawatt, PS Audio P20, Accuphase PS-1230. Not many choices...I’m leaning towards the Accuphase but I’m not a fan of the Accuphase aesthetic.
    I just got the Audioquest Niagara 5000 and am very happy with it.

Brodric, I know your waiting on the speaker to break in. I have maybe 400 or so hours on my PAP. Maybe a little more and they are coming into focus and balance better and better every day.

What I wanted to know was, have you pulled the CM out from under any equipment to see if the bass tightens up again.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp. Audion Black Shadow 845 SET Monoblocks. Mojo Audio Deja Vu Server. Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC. Linear Solution Ethernet Switch. Gigafoil with LPS. STST Motus II TT with Vertere SG1 arm, Hana ML Cartridge, Allnic H1201 phono pre. Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Horn speakers with Mundord Supreme oil caps. Power via 10 awg Oyaide cable from panel to custom distribution strip feeding front end. Oyaide dedicated10 AWG branch circuits from panel to each amp. Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.
    Kingrexelectric.com Lyncole certified grounding specialist.

Not yet....I pulled them out last night but I haven't had a chance to listen without them since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Boggy View Post
    I wonder when Magico will offer a color other than black for these? For this price you should be able to get any color in the universe.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

CF comes in any color you want, as long as it's black.....
    Painting the CF I guess is possible, but the finish looks so elegant it would be a shame to mess with it.
    Or, are you suggesting, have a color option for the face plate with black CF side panels?

CF does not have to be black. Wilson Benesch, who is a pioneer in CF usage in speakers design, does offer CF in alt colors like Red and Blue now.
    Adam

You mean, the resin is pigmented with color, or painted with color?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Magico M3 Review