What does Everybody do? - Page 14
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What does Everybody do?

Quote Originally Posted by astrotoy View Post
    I really am an analogue person. Vinyl, but even more so R2R (15ips, 2 track). However, after I retired, my wife asked a simple question. She was looking at my 15K records and 1000+ tapes and asked "What are you going to do with all these records and tapes - our daughter and son-in-law won't take them." They both love classical music and are fine amateur musicians. So I started thinking about the collection as a legacy. I went to the first Computer Audiophile symposium in 2009, looking for possible digital solutions, having heard about Amarra and their soon to be released digital recording system. There I met Tim Marutani, consultant extraordinaire (and his friend and audio dealer Maier Shadi (of Audio Salon in Santa Monica), and Mr. CA himself Chris Connaker. With Tim, I was introduced into the high end of pro audio, including several superstars. Tim helped me search for the best solution to my problem and after several months of research arranged a shootout at my home, conducted by mastering engineer Paul Stubblebine, with several different A to D convertors and different software packages.

I realized that with the goal of digitizing 10,000 records and tapes, it would take, in real time, over 5 years (actually took 6 years), so my time was the most expensive commodity. With my wife's support, I decided that getting the best equipment to do the digitizing was important, since I didn't want to do the ripping more than once per record or tape.

I ended up choosing the Pacific Microsonics Model Two (which can digitize at 192/24) using Merging Technologies Pyramix software and their Mykerinos card. I had a custom designed phono preamp with adjustable EQ curves for my old and new vinyl and a balanced output to the Model Two built by Dan Schmalle of Bottlehead. The PM Model Two was the most difficult to get. There were only 150 or so ever built and almost all of them are locked up in recording and mastering studios. Tim started his hunt, and after about four months, I had my Model Two, found by Maier Shadi at Warner Bros studios, where it and another (now owned by Maier) were used in mastering sound tracks for films. And I was off.

My collection includes about 3000 British Decca classical recordings, 95% are original pressings and labels, and include just about all of the Decca stereo classical records released in the analogue era, and about 3000 British EMI recordings, almost all original pressings and labels, including about 90% of all the EMI analogue stereo recordings. I also have fairly complete collections of the great RCA and Mercury recordings, and several other labels. I also have a complete collection of all records (600 of them) that ever appeared on HP's TAS Super Disc List, while Harry Pearson was still alive. Those are the heart of the 10,000 records and tapes that I have digitized.

Of course most of the records I bought used, mostly from British dealers during almost annual visits to the UK for the past 20 years. So there were issues with clicks and pops and occasional surface noise. Through Tim Marutani, I met and hired recording engineer Mark Willsher to teach me how to use all of this equipment and he introduced me to Izotope RX which I used, in various forms, to remove clicks and pops without affecting the sound quality and even reduce surface noise when needed with minimal effect.

So now I have a legacy for my daughter and son-in-law and our two grandchildren, who were born during this odyssey. Chris Connaker has built two computers for me, the first for recording all the files, and the second, just last year to play back all the files using Roon and HQP (and powerful enough to playback mch files in DSD, upconverting them to DSD256.) The latter was designed by Chris who consulted with Jussi of HQP in making sure that everything would work.

I still play analogue mostly, a lot from my over 500 15ips 2 track tapes. But my digital set up allows me to play 5.1 mch digital files, other digital files I have purchased and my 10,000+ digital rips. And my daughter and her family have a good sampling of my rips and many of my duplicate records for their analogue set up.

Larry
    Great story Larry and congratulations on an amazing feat.

Tim is a great guy and extremely knowledgeable. Ended up myself with a Pacific Microsonics model 2 - an amazing performer even now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rockport Lyra speakers; VAC Statement 450 iQ mono amps; Kondo Kagura monos; four box CH Precision L1/X1 pre/power supply monos; CH precision P1/X1 phono/power supply; Kondo M1000 MkII pre with internal phono; Robert Koda K15 EX pre; Pacific Microsonics Model 2 DAC; TotalDac d1-12 MkII DAC; Kodo The Beat Turnatable with LT Schroder magnesium tonearm and Lyra Atlas cart; Sound Galleries EVO Music Server; Kalista Dreamplayer CD Transport; Echole Omnia LE ICs, speaker cables and power cords; 512 Engineering/Tim Marutani Balanced Transformers (30 amp for sources; 50 amp for amps); Rives designed dedicated room.

Post Thanks / Like

I read this entire thread and find it very interesting. Such varied backgrounds and life experiences.

I grew up in upstate New York near the McIntosh factory. My father was a mechanic and do it yourself person and instilled in me that work ethic. My first introduction in audio gear was in high school when a class mate brought in a system to demonstrate for a school project. It fascinated me and got me hooked.

When in college (Binghamton University/Harpur College and later Syracuse University) I started working at a stereo store. I continued working for this store for a number of years and ended up managing a couple locations for them.

My other main hobby was computers and even though I thought I had a good job I never thought of it as a career so I took a job as a PC Tech. Back then it was more who had the aptitude in the IT field then who had the education. A couple months later I was made an analyst and then started programming and grew to love data management. So I became a software engineer and database administrator and in the mean time the company had merged a few times and became Blue Cross Blue Shield of Upstate New York.

I then meet my sole mate, deep down I always knew she was out there somewhere, and decided to move to California (with my son in tow). We have been together ever since. She is a very special lady and had many hardships in her life including loosing her first husband to a car accident when she was 24 years old and 8 months pregnant with her fourth child. She put herself through school and became a Nurse. Her calling was Hospice and she worked as a Nurse for them for many years. She is a very special lady!

I have worked as both a software and database engineer designing and creating software to assist in launching rockets at Vandenberg Air Force Base. After the company I worked for lost their DoD contract I became a Vice President at a local bank in charge of all their data. Then the bank was sold to a large LA based bank (no way am I moving to LA ). So I took a job as a Senior System Administrator at the county. Government benefits are by far the best I have ever seen. I am hoping to retire in a few years! I wanted to move out of California because of how expensive the Central Coast is, but it is also an amazing environment and my wife prefers to stay near the grand kids.

I had gotten out of high end audio raising my son and building my career. A few years ago I got back into this crazy hobby. I participated in a few forums to learn all that has changed. These days AS is the only forum I participate in.
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; T+A DAC 8 DSD; T+A AMP 8; Audio Mirror SET 45s; KEF R700; AudioQuest Niagara 1000; Falcon Northwest Tiki; W4S Recovery; Oppo BDP-105; Technics ST-9030; Astell&Kern AK240; Ayres Pono; Focal Clear; Audeze iSine 10

3. Thanks joeinid, Mechnutt thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a Doctor, but I play one on TV.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly.. I do absolutely nothing of value. I'm retired and spend most of my time listening to music and figuring out ways to spend money on audio. I'm sure i will burn in hell.
    ​Accuphase A-75, C-3850, DP-750, T-1200, C-37, P-530, A-6, / Magico S7, Mcoat Red w/Mpod / Synergistic Research Galileo SX Sp. Cables, Galileo SX IC's, Atmosphere X Euphoria PC's / Clearaudio Innovation Wood 9" Universal ,VTA adj., platter ring w/My Sonic Lab Ultra Eminent GX, Clearaudio Da Vinci, MCRU Linear PSU / Stillpoints Ultra SS / Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth / Nakamichi Dragon / Synergistic Research Galileo PowerCell SX w/Galileo SRX PC, Active Ground Block SE w/high def cables, Black Box Low freq.resonator, Acoustic ART Vibratron ,FEQ X4 w/Green ATM / Furutech GTX-D NCF outlets, Flux-50 NCF ,20a dedicated line / SteinMusic H2 Harmonizers / Akiko Audio Corelli PLC. Phono booster, Tuning sticks, E-tuning Gold MkII / Symposium Acoustics Svelt Shelves,Precision Couplers,Segue ISO,Rollerblock Series 2+ / KLAudio Ultrasonic RCM / Clearaudio Smart Matrix RCM

Post Thanks / Like

You are allow to enjoy your retirement. It is your reward for working hard your entire life!
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; T+A DAC 8 DSD; T+A AMP 8; Audio Mirror SET 45s; KEF R700; AudioQuest Niagara 1000; Falcon Northwest Tiki; W4S Recovery; Oppo BDP-105; Technics ST-9030; Astell&Kern AK240; Ayres Pono; Focal Clear; Audeze iSine 10

7. Likes Mechnutt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since I started this thread, it is good to hear all the Member stories, but this one that takes the cake
    Power Conditioning, Filters & Switch: Nordost QRT Power Product Line, Furutech GTX-D NCF/GTX 105D, 20 AMP Dedicated w/Surge Protection, AQVox SE switch, Keces LPS P3 & P8 w/Nordost AC power and Ghent DC cables for the Gigafoil v4, modem, routers and switches.
    Cables, Isolation, Room Treatment: Nordost Supreme Reference (Odin) Distribution, Reference Line (Valhalla 2) Components and Speakers, HRS M3X Platforms & Damping Plates. Stillpoint’s Ultra 6/SS and Vicoustic Room Treatments
    Power & Sound: D’Agostino Pre-Amplifier to D’Agostino Momentum Mono’s driving Wilson Alexia’s
    Source and Digital: Aurender N10, Brinkmann Nyquist MKII

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! great thread!

I worked in the Television broadcast/production biz right out of school, started at Ampex way way way back when.
    Enjoyed every minute of it since I was a "tech" at heart always. I got to travel, work at Olympic games - Lake Palcid, Sarajevo etc. so blessed.
    My wife of 38 years passed away 5 years ago, I've since remarried to a second amazing woman...once again so blessed.

I've been an "audiophile" since forever as a tech that enjoyed music, it was a perfect match.
    I retired a few years ago now and even though I enjoyed what I did immensely, I'm enjoying retirement just as much.

Dozens of hobbies still, audio of course, photography, science/physics, reading, etc.etc. I did trade in my motorcycle hobby for cycling though about 7 years ago.

I must admit I've grown a bit tired of "audio forums"... same stories today as 10 years ago - arguments etc. Just change the name of the thing and the people involved in the discussion.

One specific hobby that's popped back to the top since retirement is cycling, I've been riding my butt off the last few years. At 66 - It's really true, you're never too old to improve your health.
    I'll be peddling my way in the Garden State Fondo this September, 107 miles.. can't wait!
    Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -Dedicated JRMC + Synology NAS

10. Thanks joeinid, Mechnutt thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Honestly.. I do absolutely nothing of value. I'm retired and spend most of my time listening to music and figuring out ways to spend money on audio. I'm sure i will burn in hell.
    Same here. Started retirement May 1st, and haven't done squat since then. I did join a gym this week, and went Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. First time since April, I have worked out. Now I am ready to drink beer and listen to music all night. Of course, I am so tired from working out, it might be short night.
    Bud

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for preamp, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

12. Thanks Mechnutt thanked for this post
    Likes Mike, Nikhil liked this post
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Same here. Started retirement May 1st, and haven't done squat since then. I did join a gym this week, and went Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. First time since April, I have worked out. Now I am ready to drink beer and listen to music all night. Of course, I am so tired from working out, it might be short night.
    Congrats on the retirement Bud....and joining the gym. Enjoy retirement. You’ve earned it.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike. I will be spending much more time listening to your Lumin, Pass, and Magico gear.
    Bud

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for preamp, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14