Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

digital cable of choice for N10 coaxial vs USB

Hi there
    New owner of a N10 here, wondering what do you guys use as digital cable to your DACs.
    Do you prefer USB or SPDIF interface?
    Of course using USB the DAC's clock takes control and on coax the N10's clock steps into action.
    If you also can name your cable brand of choice, that would be very interesting.
    I for myself compared an Ultra USB from Transparent vs a (borrowed, unknown brand) coaxial. The results are mixed on my side, to be honest, that's why I want some advise from your experience.
    I use an Accuphase DC37, don't know which clock is more refined, Accu's vs N10's.
    Cheers, thanks in advance.

Super Moderator

Re: digital cable of choice for N10 coaxial vs USB

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Nice to meet you

Thanks for your question. Clearly each person will have his/her own preference here and it’s important to draw your own conclusions based on the unique attributes of your own system and listening environment. This said...

I have a N10 and have been using both the USB and the AES/EBU outputs for quite some time.

In the past I think I preferred AES/EBU when listening to PCM. Today however I use an Ansuz D2 USB cable exclusively going to my dac, a Lampizator Pacific. I also use a Kubala Sosna Realization USB cable from time to time. Another top performing cable in my opinion...

I’ll leave you with this thought... if you feel you have a world class dac and are confident in its clock you may satisfied with the USB connection. If however you feel you want to derive max benefit from the capabilities of the N10, coax may be your preferred choice. Hope this helps and congrats on a great component such as the N10!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AES should have a more consistent sound , due to there being less non spec compliant makers.
    what most don't know or don't care is that there is specs for all we use . What makes them sound diffent mostly has to do with jitter caused by a host of reasons . The Dac and your aurendar each have an imp the difference of them and what the cables change by being off spec make the sound vary greatly .
    If your dac does not need usb power , use a power cutter. Next I would buy a simple sub 2.0 and 3.0 printer cable. They will give you a baseline to use.
    After this if usb try one that has the least effect again a baseline to guide you.
    After this begins what you feel you need. Others may have other views on this too.

@La_Dolce_Vita, @Alrainbow: Thank you very much for your input. I use an Accuphase DC37 DAC, unfortunately no AES. Still experimenting, for me USB has more detail, but Coax it's more... musical, should I say.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzzzz View Post
    @La_Dolce_Vita, @Alrainbow: Thank you very much for your input. I use an Accuphase DC37 DAC, unfortunately no AES. Still experimenting, for me USB has more detail, but Coax it's more... musical, should I say.
    Please do let us know how you are making out here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use both digital cables for my N10 , USB and AES/EBu.
    i find both giving something to music on different resolution files or streaming.
    USB allows for more flexibility playing all DSD files and high 24/384Khz pcm.

i am using Stealth usb cable and have on loan Ansuz D2 which also sounds great.
    for AES/EBU I use Jorma Digital 110Ohm .

also have on loan a bnc new cable. All have their strong points.
    other favor streaming and other internal collection.

so no clear winner on USB vs Coaxial for N10.

I’ve been playing around with this recently. I think AES sounds better than USB. I get more weight in midrange and bass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

ctzzzz......I am enjoying the Shunyata Sigma digital coaxial cable between my Aurender N10 and the DAC input to the Esoteric K-01X. I recently replaced a Wireworld Platinum Starlight digital coaxial cable with the Shunyata cable. I am pleased with the improvement in overall resolution, clarity, and dynamics. It is an excellent digital interconnect.

I also have the Aurender N100H music server in a second system. That music server is connected to a Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC with a Shunyata Sigma USB cable that replaced a Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB cable. The Shunyata USB cable delivers a big performance bump, almost like a component upgrade.

In my opinion you cannot go wrong with Shunyata cables, and the Sigma level cables are truly astonishing.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team