room acoustic set up question - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: room acoustic set up question

Having recently completed an acoustic remodel, if you are removing the sheetrock to treat the wall the above advice is good, but no need to weave the mass loaded vinyl just put it up last after filling the wall with recycled blue-jeans insulation. You can get some idea of that if you visit this blog http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...l=1#post416825 and read through a few posts where there are some clear pictures of how to do it. You do have to do a few creative moves cutting the vinyl to overlap without doubling thickness (or your sheetrock won’t lay flat).

My acoustician said she found little appreciable benefit to using stuff like green glue between layers of sheetrock, and in your application of jst sound abatement a single layer of 5/8 rock over mass loaded vinyl will be plenty. In my space the sound in adjacent bedroom significantly reduced. If you listen at quiet-moderate levels your neighbors will hardly hear a thing. Be sure to treat behind electrical boxes or any pass through locations.
    —Bob V.

My system: Benz LPS, AMG v12 turntable, Einstein Turntables' Choice phono-pre (dual mono version), dCS Rossini, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research REF 160M, Wilson Alexia speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal cables, Shunyata Zitron Sigma, AlphaNR, Python, Anaconda power cables. Shunyata Hydra Triton v3, Denali 2000t, Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drabbish View Post
    seems like two sets of studs in parallel and dry wall on each side, its an old duplex 1970 or older, there isn't even a fire wall between the two units in the attic. I was considering "green glue and a second layer of dry wall", I dont listen to music very loud and the neighbors are a nice older couple who probably dont care but trying to be as considerate as possible
    This presents no barrier at all to low frequency waves and even if you were to add a second layer of dry wall your neighbours will still be disturbed by the bass but at least high frequencies will be attenuated. Pay careful attention to the ceiling too. This is a major point of weakness in sound isolation. Money spent on a second layer of dry wall is wasted if sound leaks via 1/4 inch ceiling boards...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2