Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Lumin X1

Re: Lumin X1

For tagging, there are other utilities to tag the music, e.g. Mp3tag. If this is not what you're talking about, perhaps you may consider asking in MinimServer forum.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Yes, this is something else. I do use Mp3tag but even it will not tag file types like WAV or DFF (or is it DSF?). MC does some internal processing to store the information and associate it with the file in question. It's not really a "tag" or modification to the file itself but, rather, something MC does as a workaround.

Thanks again and I will check in the MinimServer forum!

My early impressions of moving from the S1 to the X1 are, quite literally, beyond my expectations! For me at this point in my listening career, it's all about sound stage for and my venerable B&W N800s have literally faded from view. At times before with the S1, I could identify where the speakers were positioned with certain pieces of music even with eyes closed. With the X1, the speakers are gone and the sound field extends well to the sides of the speakers even encroaching on where the side surrounds would be if I were in 5.1 surround mode. I actually had to get up and check if I had something mis-configured just to be sure. There is also a glorious sense of height both above and below the speakers as well as depth that I was not prepared for. Astonishing!

(The material I am currently listening to is some works by Isao Tomita, a Japanese master of the synthesizer, including "Kosmos" and "The Bermuda Triangle". I am looking forward to listening to more symphonic music later on.

Yes, X1 is a keeper!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Placed my order today for a Black X1. Now comes the hard part. Waiting.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Congratulations Bud , i am sure you will be very happy with it.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Inter connect : Nordost Tyr 2 ( 2 Meter )
    LS cable : Yter
    Power Cables : Nordost Frey 2 ( 2 Meter )
    Nordost QB8
    Fibercable for feeding the Lumin X1
    Rack : Finite Elemente Pagode

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Woot! Congrats! It won’t be long now.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Congrats Bud! I know you’ve been thinking about it. Won’t be disappointed!

Mike

Wow, that's very cool. I'll be waiting to hear your review.
    Speakers: Magico S3 (23')
    Integrated:Gryphon Diablo 300 plus DAC
    Streamer: HiFi Rose RS150b
    CD/DVD: Oppo 205
    Cables: Cardas-Shunyata-AudioQuest-Supra
    Roon Core: sonicTransporter i7 powered with HDPlex 200w linear PS, running AudioLinux for Roon--Tidal and Qobuz with iPad Pro

Time is just a tool humans created to measure movement and record events

Prepare to be amazed! Compared to the S1 it replaced, the soundstage has opened up in all directions including in front of, behind, to the sides of and almost extending to where the surrounds would be in a 7.1 speaker arrangement, and in height as well when used with my B&W 800 stereo mains.

I am going to use the coaxial output of the Lumin X1 to drive an inexpensive DAC capable of accepting 192khz-24bit to directly drive a headphone amp of mine when I want to do some private listening without energizing the complete 7.1 channel system.

Looking at the X1's active audio output options with the Lumin app, it appears that only one of the three outputs can be active at any given time. Is this correct or is it possible to have, let's say, both the Analog and SPDIF outputs active simultaneously?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
    I am going to use the coaxial output of the Lumin X1 to drive an inexpensive DAC capable of accepting 192khz-24bit to directly drive a headphone amp of mine when I want to do some private listening without energizing the complete 7.1 channel system.

Looking at the X1's active audio output options with the Lumin app, it appears that only one of the three outputs can be active at any given time. Is this correct or is it possible to have, let's say, both the Analog and SPDIF outputs active simultaneously?

Thank you.
    I asked the same question and the answer is that on the X1 only one output can be active at the same time. You will have to manually switch outputs as needed.
    Bud<br>

AAVIK: S-280 Streamer, D-280 DAC, I-280 Integrated Amplifier]
    NAIM: Atom HE Headphone Amp, Superlumina Speaker Cables, Power Cables
    HARBETH: 30.2 40th Anniversary Speakers
    FOCAL:: Utopia Headphones
    ANSUZ: C2 Power Cable, A2 Power Distributor, D2 Ethernet Cables, D2 PowerSwitch, D2 Interconnect
    NORDOST: Heimdall 2 Ethernet and Power Cables
    QUADRASPIRE: SVT Equipment Stand
    SKYLAN: Speaker Stands
    UPTONE:Linear Power Supply
    DANACABLE:: Headphone cables

Thanks Bud!

Joe

Which digital output of the X1 to use and why?

I can use either the SPDIF or USB output of the X1 to drive my bespoke headphone DAC/Amp. The DAC/Amp is good to PCM384, DSD256 all at up to 32 bit word length.

Initially I've found the SPDIF output is limited in its ability to output several formats natively that I'd like to be able to listen to and have to resort to custom audio sampling. The USB, on the other hand, seems able to do what I want without having to resort to custom sampling rates to get DSD to decode.

Golden ears aside, my question is there any thing intrinsically measurable that says one interface is better than the other?

Thanks much!

That's DAC and cable dependent.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    That's DAC and cable dependent.
    So from a purely inside the X1 box without external influence point of view the two interfaces are capable of exactly the same level of performance?

I'd like to give a simple answer but they are too different to be compared, and does not generally apply to different DAC. Play some 16/44.1 using either connection and see which sounds better to you.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thanks. Many treatises to be found on the internet on the subject and I see what you mean about there not being a simple answer. I'll listen per your advice.

Hi, just setup my QNAP NAS with a folder with lossless/DSD files.
    Is there a step-by-step guide to set up QNAP NAS music streaming to the X1?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by streamer_noob View Post
    Hi, just setup my QNAP NAS with a folder with lossless/DSD files.
    Is there a step-by-step guide to set up QNAP NAS music streaming to the X1?
    Connect the NAS to your network. Then install MiniMServer on the NAS (the tricky part as you may have to install Java on the NAS as well). Load your music on your NAS and then go into the Lumin app, find the NAS and you’re all set.

Here is a more detailed explanation:

http://www.luminmusic.com/support-quickstart.html

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Connect the NAS to your network. Then install MiniMServer on the NAS (the tricky part as you may have to install Java on the NAS as well). Load your music on your NAS and then go into the Lumin app, find the NAS and you’re all set.

Here is a more detailed explanation:

http://www.luminmusic.com/support-quickstart.html

Thank you very much, Mike
    All done. Installed Minimserver app on QNAP and it took off from there

Very good move!!!

Home: Focal Scala Utopia, Primaluna HP Premium, Lumin X1

Cottage: Devore Orangutan 0/96, Pathos TT Aniversary, Lumin D1

Enjoy the X1! It’s a terrific music player.

Mike

Some will argue who did what and when but it is amazing how far we've come since the days in 1877 when Edison invented the phonograph!

Armed with just enough information to be dangerous and ask questions, regarding the X1's USB cable requirements, I am considering using a cable with separate power and signal conductors such as the iFi Gemini type of cable. Is there any requirement for power to be supplied to the Lumin X1 via the USB-A connector plugged into it or is a signal cable all that is required?

This is a USB DAC requirement, not an X1 requirement.

I think the particular cable you're looking at is dual headed, but X1 / T2 only has one USB port. Clearly the signal cable is to be plugged in the X1 / T2 USB port. Some USB DAC do not need the power on +5V, some do. For the latter case, you'll need to find another machine to provide the +5V. Make sure you can return it before you buy it.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Received an email that my X1 is ready to ship. Hope I get it next week. Tuesday is my last workday, and I’m retired after that. So I will have plenty of X1 evaluation time.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Audioshark

Received an email that my X1 is ready to ship. Hope I get it next week. Tuesday is my last workday, and I’m retired after that. So I will have plenty of X1 evaluation time.
    Wow Bud. Does it feel strange to be finishing work? I guess you have mixed feelings, but mostly relief! You reached the finish line. Congrats!!! Lumin X1Lumin X1Lumin X1Lumin X1

Enjoy the X1 in good health.

Mike, I am sure it will feel strange until I get used to it. I will be 70 in September, and have been working since I was 18. The X1 should help me adjust.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Make sure you can return it before you buy it.
    I understand. Amazon is great about things like that.

One other thing I discovered but maybe it was only a one-time "glitch". I swapped USB cables while the X1 remained powered on and outputting music. When I plugged in the new cable the DAC was unable to detect either the signal from the S/PDIF or the USB output of the X1. I had to cycle the power on the X1 to restore normal operation. I am not sure if it was the X1 or the DAC that became upset when changing cable while powered on and playing music.

I swapped USB cables while the X1 remained powered on and outputting music. When I plugged in the new cable the DAC was unable to detect either the signal from the S/PDIF or the USB output of the X1. I had to cycle the power on the X1 to restore normal operation. I am not sure if it was the X1 or the DAC that became upset when changing cable while powered on and playing music.
    Upon USB DAC disconnection, Lumin will stop playback automatically. Playback needs to be manually invoked again using Lumin app - have you tried that before power cycling it?
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Upon USB DAC disconnection, Lumin will stop playback automatically. Playback needs to be manually invoked again using Lumin app - have you tried that before power cycling it?
    That's a possiblity but I am pretty certain I did switch between the three output selections including analog, hit play each time, and the DAC "unlock" light remained lit until I power cycled the X1. I'll try it again later to confirm.

Why dont you stop messing around with cables while the unit is either powered on or playing? sounds like an awesome recipe for failure somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by dznutz View Post
    Why dont you stop messing around with cables while the unit is either powered on or playing? sounds like an awesome recipe for failure somewhere
    I say this with the utmost respect, please mind your own business. That being said, modern USB ports are designed to for hot swapping.

Congratulation Bud. i retired a few years ago and find I am as busy as ever. The big advantage is you can decide when your day begins and ends.

I'm sure your will truly enjoy the change.

Brad
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

Congratulations Bud! I retired 15 months ago and I’m having fun. After so many years of hard work and sacrifice, the day has arrived. Enjoy the journey! And the X1!

Mike

I had the chance to audition the T2 recently, and, unfortunately, the X1. I say unfortunately, because after listening to it for a bit, now i want an X1 instead of the T2, so there goes the budget! My only question now is, how would the X1 compare with the something like the U1 connected to a Chord Dave? Any advantages/disadvantages to either?

Lumin analog output supports full MQA decoding if you use Tidal.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Wow, that was fast! Thanks Peter, as always, for the prompt response. I don't think my budget will stretch far enough for the X1 and Chord Dave, so I might just stick with X1. From what I heard the other day I don't think I will be disappointed.

Where did you go to audition the X1 / T2 - I listed two places in Hong Kong in the T2 thread. B&W HK?
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Actually I went to both the places you listed (yes one was B&W), and I auditioned the Lumin Amp as well. I will go back to B&W for another audition as I want try them paired up with the Gryphon Diablo 300.

We have a new promotion of purchase of Lumin X1 + AMP together. Try to ask your dealer for discount. (Dealers please check with distributor or our sales staff.)
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhk View Post
    I had the chance to audition the T2 recently, and, unfortunately, the X1. I say unfortunately, because after listening to it for a bit, now i want an X1 instead of the T2, so there goes the budget! My only question now is, how would the X1 compare with the something like the U1 connected to a Chord Dave? Any advantages/disadvantages to either?
    I’m listening to Joan Baez with the X1 right now and Ill say I don’t remember my Aurender N10 into my Chord Dave giving me this amazing sound. I’m blown away. I was using mega buck Ansuz cables with the N10/Dave combo while I’m using the OEM Lumin Ethernet cable and a relatively cheap LFD power cable on the X1. I can’t image you having buyers remorse with the X1.
    Bud<br>

AAVIK: S-280 Streamer, D-280 DAC, I-280 Integrated Amplifier]
    NAIM: Atom HE Headphone Amp, Superlumina Speaker Cables, Power Cables
    HARBETH: 30.2 40th Anniversary Speakers
    FOCAL:: Utopia Headphones
    ANSUZ: C2 Power Cable, A2 Power Distributor, D2 Ethernet Cables, D2 PowerSwitch, D2 Interconnect
    NORDOST: Heimdall 2 Ethernet and Power Cables
    QUADRASPIRE: SVT Equipment Stand
    SKYLAN: Speaker Stands
    UPTONE:Linear Power Supply
    DANACABLE:: Headphone cables

As I've done with my S1 before, except for the display and not being overly concerned about using the additional electrical power, I keep the X1 powered on 24/7. Good idea or bad and, if so, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck View Post
    I can’t image you having buyers remorse with the X1.
    The only remorse I can contemplate is when they come up with a new flagship model and you know they will.

Audioshark

The only remorse I can contemplate is when they come up with a new flagship model and you know they will.
    I haven’t heard anything about this. Just lots of discussions around ripping/storage, etc.

I was kind of joking but, knowing that companies always have new ideas and designs in the works, I just expect it at some point.

Audioshark

I was kind of joking but, knowing that companies always have new ideas and designs in the works, I just expect it at some point.
    Can’t disagree. But there hasn’t even been a hint of talk. Lumin has had an impressive release of new products of late: D2, U1 mini, T2, X1. The A1/S1 could use replacing before any kind of Lumin Statement product IMO. The X1 is no doubt the king, but the T2 is the “crazy, ridiculous, stupid amazing good” for the money product.

Agreed. But I am banking my pennies now rather than later. And I am still thanking you and your team very much for putting an X1 in my home!

Audioshark

Agreed. But I am banking my pennies now rather than later. And I am still thanking you and your team very much for putting an X1 in my home!
    You’re very welcome. We are happy you’re happy!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Lumin X1