Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Lumin X1

Re: Lumin X1

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
    I keep the X1 powered on 24/7. Good idea or bad and, if so, why?
    That's generally a good idea, except for those who live in an area that often experiences electrical surges. There is a theory that the clocks need time to stabilize to attain their low phase noise / jitter performance.

Don't worry about the flagship status. Not to be changed any time soon.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Understood.

Well i can only say that the T2 is a real good performer its giving you a lot , for a small price.
    I do own T1 , and has a local dealer that is really great , which means i have had X1 , S1 and now T2 on loan....no doubt that X1 is the king its so so so good , its like everything is just right.....an hologram in front of you with the musicians just there in front of you.
    Would say that S1 , has a kind of being there , the snap of a guitar its just like you're there in front of that guitar...but still X1 trumps them all.
    For the money T2 is stunningly good , very musical , and still present a good soundstage.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Inter connect : Nordost Tyr 2 ( 2 Meter )
    LS cable : Yter
    Power Cables : Nordost Frey 2 ( 2 Meter )
    Nordost QB8
    Fibercable for feeding the Lumin X1
    Rack : Finite Elemente Pagode

So far, I am loving my X1. It sounds better tonight than last night, and I hope it continues to improve with more time on it. Even now I am hearing more audio information on tracks than before. A couple of times I heard something that made me pause the player to verify it was the music, and not something outside.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Bud Lumin X1 is my dream source component. i really hope i can make that happen sometime , right now i try to figure out to make the smartest upgrade path from my T1 to X1.......so far i was thinking first to go with T2 , then S1 , and finally X1.....or maybe find a used S1. Not easy to decide.
    Listening right now to the T2 on my Accuphase E-470 on Focus Audio FS.788 loudspeakers am feeding the T2 with Tidal HiFi and using Nordost Frey2 Ethernet....and Frey2 loudspeaker cables on loan .........i do feed the Lumin T2 with a Heimdall 2 Powercord and think when upgrading the Lumin i will also go with a Frey 2 Power cord.
    Sorry for the talk around my system and thoughts on upgrade path. Was not trying to sidetrack the thread.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Nordost QB8

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    A couple of times I heard something that made me pause the player to verify it was the music, and not something outside.
    That was my initial sense as well! Almost holographic in nature, the sound stage grew in all three dimensions: in width left and to the right well outside the physical confines of speaker placement, in height both above and below where the speakers are visually, and in depth in front of and behind the speakers. I note this in all three output modes including the analog, the S/PDIF and the USB interfaces although I prefer the smoothness and delicacy of the analog.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    So far, I am loving my X1. It sounds better tonight than last night, and I hope it continues to improve with more time on it. Even now I am hearing more audio information on tracks than before. A couple of times I heard something that made me pause the player to verify it was the music, and not something outside.
    Bud - Glad you are liking the X1. Told you! I’m very happy with mine.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Looks like this review of the Lumin X1 by Alan Sircom was just released online by Hi-Fi Plus, I think he liked it!

Don't we all!

But a question was raised: And I quote from page 2, "Clever continues throughout the X1. It has dual Ethernet ports. One is a regular RJ45 LAN and one is an optical network connection. This means you can hook a local NAS direct to the Lumin for optimal performance, all the while retaining the functionality of the full Ethernet connectivity and streaming and control point opportunities that brings."

Can I connect my QNAP NAS directly to the Lumin?

Great review! The X1 is a special music player. Too bad there was no mention of the L1 which makes the setup and use of the Lumin players a breeze.

Mike

Can I connect my QNAP NAS directly to the Lumin?
    Yes, that's the intention.
    Of course, it's best if you have a fanless NAS, as it will now be close to your hi-fi. But please experiment.

It says this on the website, but perhaps it's a bit hidden.

Quote from X1 page:
    • Optical Network:

• Industry-standard SFP
      • 1000Base-T Gigabit Ethernet
      • Adapter may be needed for your particular switch/cables
      • Use simultaneously with RJ45 (e.g. connect one to router and one to LUMIN L1 or NAS)

Note: Don't connect the RJ45 back to the network switch by accident as it will form a loop and will bring down the network (just as it would if you looped between two switches).
    [Associated with LUMIN]

Thanks for that. I have my NAS going through a switch to the X1 all via fiber right now. I may take the NAS directly to the X1 and then use one of the other copper connections on the NAS to go back to the router but that may not work either. I wish I could simply stop playing and leave well enough alone. Also, there is another thread specific to X1 networking that this may be more appropriate in.

I may take the NAS directly to the X1 and then use one of the other copper connections on the NAS to go back to the router but that may not work either.
    No, that would create a loop again. No need to connect it back - if the NAS is connected to LUMIN via RJ45, then it's on the network and can be seen by anything else on the network.
    I wish I could simply stop playing and leave well enough alone.
    Ha! The curse of many of us. Thankfully 2 children and 2 cats made fiddling a bit pointless, so I've stopped (for now ).
    [Associated with LUMIN]

Quote Originally Posted by thingswelike View Post
    No, that would create a loop again. No need to connect it back - if the NAS is connected to LUMIN via RJ45, then it's on the network and can be seen by anything else on the network.
    Ha! The curse of many of us. Thankfully 2 children and 2 cats made fiddling a bit pointless, so I've stopped (for now ).
    If this works: X1 ----> via fiber ----> QNAP NAS SFP (Ethernet 3) and then QNAP NAS -----> via RJ-45 copper ----> QNAP switch ----> via RJ-45 copper ----> router (or the NAS's RJ-45 copper directly to the router) there may not be a loop as there is only a single connection to the X1. My only concern would be if the X1 can get an IP address through the QNAP without having to be connected to the router.

I could be all wet as well My kid is heading off to college in September so I am done spending in very short order.

Ah - I understand. I'm not familiar enough with the QNAP to know whether the ports can be used in this way, but my hunch is that they can). Perhaps someone else can chime in.
    [Associated with LUMIN]

I'd be interested to know the answer to this as well as I patiently wait for delivery of my new X1. If possible I'd like to connect the X1 directly to my Synology NAS without going via a router and/or switch. I guess the only way to know if this works or not is to try it and see what happens.

If this works: X1 ----> via fiber ----> QNAP NAS SFP (Ethernet 3) and then QNAP NAS -----> via RJ-45 copper ----> QNAP switch ----> via RJ-45 copper ----> router (or the NAS's RJ-45 copper directly to the router) there may not be a loop as there is only a single connection to the X1. My only concern would be if the X1 can get an IP address through the QNAP without having to be connected to the router.
    You'll need to configure the QNAP to make the two network interfaces bridged, probably via the QNAP Virtual Switch function. I'm not sure it'll work though, as it's not known whether its bridge passes multicast packets even if it allows the X1 to get an IP address.

In your proposed setup, two network interfaces of QNAP are used, and only one network interface of X1 is used. (If you connect the other network interface of X1 to the network it'll create an undesirable network loop.)

In post #259 that you asked, it should be:

Router/switch - copper Ethernet - RJ45 of X1 / SFP of X1 - fiber - QNAP

Note two network interfaces of X1 are used, but only one network interface of QNAP is used. The X1 bridges its two network interfaces by hardware. It allows the QNAP to get an IP address, but it's best to reserve an IP address for the NAS in the router DHCP allocation. (If you connect the other network interface of QNAP to the network and enabled bridged mode it'll create an undesirable network loop.)
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    You'll need to configure the QNAP to make the two network interfaces bridged, probably via the QNAP Virtual Switch function. I'm not sure it'll work though, as it's not known whether its bridge passes multicast packets even if it allows the X1 to get an IP address.

In your proposed setup, two network interfaces of QNAP are used, and only one network interface of X1 is used. (If you connect the other network interface of X1 to the network it'll create an undesirable network loop.
    Thanks Peter. I will play around with the QNAP's network interfaces per your suggestion.

Armed with just enough information to be dangerous and ask questions, regarding the X1's USB cable requirements, I am considering using a cable with separate power and signal conductors such as the iFi Gemini type of cable. Is there any requirement for power to be supplied to the Lumin X1 via the USB-A connector plugged into it or is a signal cable all that is required?
    Update: The iFi Gemini cable did not work with the X1 connected to my particular DAC even though external power was supplied to the cable via an external power supply. I ended up relying on a Wireworld Starlight Platinum cable instead.

Qnap virtual switch works well with the Lumin U1 ....
    Kronos Sparta / Miyajima Madake / New Audio Frontiers Stradivari Phono / Taiko Extreme / Aqua Acoustics Formula XHD / Townshend Allegri Reference / New Audio Frontiers Reference 845 Mono SE / Marten Coltrane Soprano / Artesania Audio Exoteryc rack / Daiza Isolation

Quote Originally Posted by RichardA1 View Post
    Qnap virtual switch works well with the Lumin U1 ....
    I was unable to get it to work for me. I was offered the "Software-Defined", the "Basic" or the "Advanced" mode and wasn't sure which one to select. I set it up and it appeared that a single I.P, 192.167.107, was assigned to all the nodes within the virtual switch. I was not to happy with that, for whatever reason, and ended up having to push the reset button and resetting the three network adapaters, the two RJ-45 copper and the one 10GbE SFP+ back to their original settings.

After 8 plus days of continuous play, X1 is so damn good! Too good! I must say T2, the unit I upgraded from is no slouch either and I think you will be happy with either one. In my particular set up I felt that X1 added detail, soundstage and amazing musical clarity. Thank you Mike for your help as always.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like the minimalist approach to your setup! Very nice!

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Ym2000 View Post

After 8 plus days of continuous play, X1 is so damn good! Too good! I must say T2, the unit I upgraded from is no slouch either and I think you will be happy with either one. In my particular set up I felt that X1 added detail, soundstage and amazing musical clarity. Thank you Mike for your help as always.
    Congrats! Happy to help and your pictures look great. The X1 is my favorite Lumin by far. It’s so effortless and musical at the same time. It does nothing wrong.

I know it will take a while for people to notice and try the Lumin amp(s), but I must say, it’s a home run. If any of you ever get a chance to try one, you won’t be disappointed. You’ll be shocked actually.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Thank you! Im planning to add turntable at some point but for right now everything goes through Lumin. Experimenting now with sound quality of Roon/ Lumin route vs Lumin app - streaming Tidal on both.
    I have read somewhere where there is advantage of running Roon sound wise but so far on my system Lumin app gets the upper hand on a few tracks I tested.
    Anyone has experience or opinion on this?

I like the minimalist approach to your setup! Very nice!

Congratulations on your Lumin X1 , it truly is amazing and i feel they really are flying under the radar , not many people has eyed them yet.
    Your setup looks great.
    And my dealer has teased me with a combo of Lumin X1 and their Amp.
    I recall the Lumin X1 to be exactly how Mike describes it..and also a big step-up from T2...and do not forget that the T2 is by no means bad
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Nordost QB8

Thank you! Im planning to add turntable at some point but for right now everything goes through Lumin. Experimenting now with sound quality of Roon/ Luminary's route vs Lumin app - streaming Tidal on both.
    I have read somewhere where there is advantage of running Roon sound wise but so far on my system Lumin app gets the upper hand on a few tracks I tested.
    Well i tried Roon with S1 ( which i had on loan ) and as you say there is also to my ear an difference but can't say in which favour or why , as i only tried the S1 for a week and Roon for some days....but i do like Roon for having much more info on the Artist or band that one is playing and their suggestions for new music.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Nordost QB8

I love Roon and it's ability to give me my music on computer along with streaming - they are def the leaders in the field especially like you say their suggestions are more spot on that rap heavy Tidal, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by FDPDK View Post
    Well i tried Roon with S1 ( which i had on loan ) and as you say there is also to my ear an difference but can't say in which favour or why , as i only tried the S1 for a week and Roon for some days....but i do like Roon for having much more info on the Artist or band that one is playing and their suggestions for new music.

Thank you! Im planning to add turntable at some point but for right now everything goes through Lumin. Experimenting now with sound quality of Roon/ Lumin route vs Lumin app - streaming Tidal on both.
    The difference is subtitle, I prefer Lumin app sound. Roon is a top quality option and the sound absolutely outstanding, but it set your computer as the core streamer. I prefer avoiding cumputer processes and transmission interferences.

Home: Focal Scala Utopia, Primaluna HP Premium, Lumin X1

Cottage: Devore Orangutan 0/96, Pathos TT Aniversary, Lumin D1

Mike,
    Do you have any recommendation for xlr interconnect between X1 and Lumin AMP?
    I have recently become Lumin AMP owner. I must admit it is an amazing piece of gear.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Jsa View Post
    Mike,
    Do you have any recommendation for xlr interconnect between X1 and Lumin AMP?
    I have recently become Lumin AMP owner. I must admit it is an amazing piece of gear.
    Awesome! Congrats. What’s the rest of your system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

It is Lumin A1 plus Lumin AMP.
    i use Usher speakers and Auditorium A23 speaker cables.
    Would you have any specific recommendations for xlr interconnect?
    I used to play with Wavac tube monoblocks until now.
    Still keep them but Lumin AMP is quite impressive.
    Regards

Experimenting now with sound quality of Roon/ Lumin route vs Lumin app - streaming Tidal on both.
    When doing such comparison, please make sure to turn off Roon Ready setting when you're evaluating the SQ of Lumin app (or any other compatible OpenHome controller app), and other unnecessary settings such as AirPlay "Lumin Streaming" and Spotify Connect.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Re: Lumin X1 Flagship Roon Ready Network Player

You should see a couple of Valhalla XLR v1 not to pricey coming out eventually on the second hand market. I'm at my third purchase and, believe me, they are absolutely amazing, not only in term of definition, but the timber is beautifully shiny Lumin X1 It's a constant enjoyment.

Re: Lumin X1 Flagship Roon Ready Network Player

Quote Originally Posted by vinci92 View Post
    You should see a couple of Valhalla XLR v1 not to pricey coming out eventually on the second hand market. I'm at my third purchase and, believe me, they are absolutely amazing, not only in term of definition, but the timber is beautifully shiny Lumin X1 It's a constant enjoyment.

Hi Vinci!
    Thanks for the hint. I was thinking of trying Nordost Heimdall 2 XLR, but you say it might be worth going all the way up to Valhalla? Should give it a try. It seems Nordost might be a nice match for Lumin streamer and Amp.
    I have tried it with Red Dawn, so far. Being fast and spacious seems to match very well with energy Lumin AMP generates.

Not that I need anything, but I haven't seen a firmware update the X1 in quite a while. To me that can mean only one of three things: Nothing to fix, nothing to improve or development has ceased. I'll choose either of the "nothings" as the reason. Are they any other reasons?

Audioshark

Not that I need anything, but I haven't seen a firmware update the X1 in quite a while. To me that can mean only one of three things: Nothing to fix, nothing to improve or development has ceased. I'll choose either of the "nothings" as the reason. Are they any other reasons?
    Nothing to fix.

An update to allow file transfer over the network to an L1 would be awesome!

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by dznutz View Post
    An update to allow file transfer over the network to an L1 would be awesome!
    This would cool.

I have just released firmware 11.5.

My philosophy of firmware release is that generally I want to wait and batch several minor changes into one release, unless there is a more urgent change that would help a significant portion of users in some way. It is also affected by waiting for beta firmware users to give feedback, and waiting for third party SDK (e.g. Roon RAAT) to stabilize. Finally, I want to use and test the changes internally for as much time as possible before they are released to public.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Looks like the X1 got an update and thank you for letting us know your thoughts on this and I think your philosophy on testing is a good one. Back in the day when we simply "patched" software instead of recompiling it, I remember releasing a one word patch that broke the system. Nothing like getting as much test time as you can before a release.

Have a good weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    I have just released firmware 11.5.

My philosophy of firmware release is that generally I want to wait and batch several minor changes into one release, unless there is a more urgent change that would help a significant portion of users in some way. It is also affected by waiting for beta firmware users to give feedback, and waiting for third party SDK (e.g. Roon RAAT) to stabilize. Finally, I want to use and test the changes internally for as much time as possible before they are released to public.
    Peter - Thanks for sharing your software release approach. Very sound practice to package fixes and enhancements. Of course, a serious fix should never be held up.

Mike

Noticed a new release, 11.5b, today. I'll get it.

I updated a couple of days ago. X1 working well. The release has been stable.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    Same here.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    I got 11.5 on "day one" and then I believe I got 11.5b on "day two". Both builds have been stable for me as well.

I just got 11.5b. Seems okay, but what does it do? Fix a minor 11.5 bug?
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Compatibility with a certain USB DAC.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thank you.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Lumin X1