Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Lumin X1

Re: Lumin X1

Hello everyone,

Another happy—make that delighted—X1 owner here. Pleasure to "meet" you all, as it is to be part of the LUMIN family.

My setup takes advantage of the fiber optic network port (I'm aware of the separate discussion thread). I'm now curious about people's experiences, if any, with the WestminsterLab DC cable. What are you impressions? Would you buy it again? Where did you buy it?

Thank you,

Brian

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Brian, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Welcome to the forum Brian.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Inter connect : Nordost Tyr 2 ( 2 Meter )
    LS cable : Yter
    Power Cables : Nordost Frey 2 ( 2 Meter )
    Nordost QB8
    Fibercable for feeding the Lumin X1
    Rack : Finite Elemente Pagode

I received my Lumin X1 a week ago and have been running it in continuously since. So far it is extremely good.

However, I initially found the soundstage a bit two dimensional. I thought it might be a burn in issue so have been playing it continuously for at least 150 hours. There is improvement, but it still sounded quite flat, particularly compared to my Mytek Manhattan II (to which it is, in all other respects, superior). I was wracking my brains trying to figure out what could be causing this, since I doubted that this was normal for the X1, and was about to try replacing my interconnect. Then I remembered the absolute phase setting in the app. I inverted the phase and now it sounds fine - the issue has completely gone away.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does Lumin wire its XLR outputs differently to most others as, for example, that Accuphase do?

It's not an amp issue, since both the Mytek and the Ayre QX5 which I had previously did not have this issue with my Ayre AX5 Twenty using the XLR connections.

Lumin uses the more popular XLR pin 2 hot standard - most manufacturers follow this standard including Esoteric. Accuphase and Luxman has XLR pin 2 cold. If you connect a Lumin to an Accuphase setup using balanced cables, by default the phase will be reversed.

If you have multiple sources, use the Lumin app invert phase function.

If you only use one source - Lumin X1, you may check whether your amp has a phase selector switch. If it has, you may use the amp phase selector instead of Lumin invert phase.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thanks, Peter. That's what I would have expected, although it does seem odd that phase appears to be inverted. I will need to do some more listening to make sure I am not hearing things.

Quick question: are there network attached blu ray players that let you send audio to a lumin X1 like an AppleTV does? Would like to use X1 for movies, but don’t have a preamp since I run it direct to amp.

I just picked up a X1 and it didn't have the manual. Is there a place to download a copy of the manual?

Set up my new X1 today. It is amazing and really a clear upgrade over my PS Audio DirectStream running Windom.

Welcome to AS Jeremy. Enjoy your X1, it is a terrific musical component.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Quote Originally Posted by saturdayboy View Post
    Quick question: are there network attached blu ray players that let you send audio to a lumin X1 like an AppleTV does? Would like to use X1 for movies, but don’t have a preamp since I run it direct to amp.
    Perhaps use a network connected MacBook (HDMI output to TV) with an external Blu-ray drive, with suitable player software that fulfills the following requirements:
    - Decode all Blu-ray audio formats and downmix to stereo
    - Send via AirPlay
    - Customizable audio delay (to workaround lip sync issue)
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyMTB View Post
    I just picked up a X1 and it didn't have the manual. Is there a place to download a copy of the manual?
    Welcome
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyMTB View Post
    There isn't really a manual - just a quickstart guide.
    http://www.luminmusic.com/support-quickstart.html

We also have a fibre networking page for X1
    http://www.luminmusic.com/support-fibre.html

A settings guide:
    http://www.luminmusic.com/support-settings.html

And a 'how to use the app' guide:
    http://www.luminmusic.com/support-app.html
    [Associated with LUMIN]

Thanks. After getting it and setting it up I realized there was really no need for a manual. Asked the question to soon.

Thanks for the links.

Will take delivery of black brand new X1 on Thursday.
    Many thanks to Peter for his ongoing effort to support Lumin's customers

Quote Originally Posted by BRD View Post
    Will take delivery of black brand new X1 on Thursday.
    Many thanks to Peter for his ongoing effort to support Lumin's customers
    You're going to love it! Well done!

BRD Congratulations on your new Lumin X1 i am sure you will love it.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Inter connect : Nordost Tyr 2 ( 2 Meter )
    LS cable : Yter
    Power Cables : Nordost Frey 2 ( 2 Meter )
    Nordost QB8
    Fibercable for feeding the Lumin X1
    Rack : Finite Elemente Pagode

Quote Originally Posted by brw View Post
    Hello everyone,

Another happy—make that delighted—X1 owner here. Pleasure to "meet" you all, as it is to be part of the LUMIN family.

My setup takes advantage of the fiber optic network port (I'm aware of the separate discussion thread). I'm now curious about people's experiences, if any, with the WestminsterLab DC cable. What are you impressions? Would you buy it again? Where did you buy it?

Thank you,

Brian
    I know this is an old post but thought I'd respond anyway. I own the WestminsterLab DC cable, and a very short one that allows me to stack, safely, the PS on top of the X1, and am extremely pleased with it. I've lived with it for sometime now and I perceive darker backgrounds from which the music presents itself and this coming from an already extremely quiet system. I bought it directly from WestminsterLab website and Angus was great to work with. It's not cheap by any means for an umbilical but was worth it to me. Would I buy it again? No because I don't have to.

Bumping this up!

Hi - can you have both USB and XLR cables plugged in at the same time to the X1? I have an internal DAC in my Integrated and as I see it, would like to flip back to change flavors once in a blue moon. I’ve read if you enable Analog or USB in the Lumin app, it disables the other outputs, but does having other cables plugged in and into an external DAC/device degrade SQ?

Thanks in advance.

Main Room: Fleetwood Sound Co. Deville SQ < Bakoon AMP-51R | < Mola Mola Tambaqui < Grimm Audio MU1
    >>>BACCH-SP adio
    Loft: Apple HomePod Mini

Yes, you can connect both the XLR and the USB cables in at the same time. An issue may arise, however, when you keep both the XLR and single ended analog outputs connected at the same time as the output transformers may be presented with loading that the circuitry may not have been designed to handle.

Thanks. And thanks for the tip on multiple analog connections.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
    Yes, you can connect both the XLR and the USB cables in at the same time. An issue may arise, however, when you keep both the XLR and single ended analog outputs connected at the same time as the output transformers may be presented with loading that the circuitry may not have been designed to handle.

Main Room: Fleetwood Sound Co. Deville SQ < Bakoon AMP-51R | < Mola Mola Tambaqui < Grimm Audio MU1
    >>>BACCH-SP adio

Really dumb question….the X1 and other Lumin DAC/Streamers have both digital and analog output. When you burn in the device, are you burning in both sections? Or do you have to do one at a time…total of like 1000 hours?? Yikes! The X1 can only output one signal at a time, i think?

>>>BACCH-SP adio

Quote Originally Posted by Low325 View Post
    Really dumb question….the X1 and other Lumin DAC/Streamers have both digital and analog output. When you burn in the device, are you burning in both sections? Or do you have to do one at a time…total of like 1000 hours?? Yikes! The X1 can only output one signal at a time, i think?
    There are no dumb questions, IMHO, but there may be wise guys out there that try and make a person feel that their question is dumb.

As for me, I started enjoying my X1 right out of the box and was not really interested in trying to do an initial SQ assessment at first turn on versus what it sounded like like at first turn on plus "X" number of hours later. My hearing memory is just not that good. I can do a pretty good job of identifying what I like with changes such as cable swaps, balanced vs unbalanced connections, etc. that can be accomplished in a relatively short period of time, within minutes at most, but remembering how something sounded 500 "operational" hours before is beyond me. I find my emotional state and/or BAC affects how it sounds as well. Incidentally, my X1 has been running nonstop, 24/7/365 for probably a bit over two years now running a nice mix of music served up from a NAS connected optically to the X1 and I am as happy with it then as I am now.

I logged in to my x1 this afternoon on my LUMIN app and none of my albums had the Mqa or highrez indicator on my albums.how do I get them back..???
    Listening Room: 25' L x 18' W x 23' H..system on the long wall
    Speakers: Tidal 'Contriva Diacera-SE
    Amps: Chalice Audio 'Grail' SET mono blocks with Psvane WE 845 / 300b tubes
    Source: Lumin X-1 Network Music Player
    HighFidelity MC-1 Pro Helix conditioner
    Cables:
    Audience-Studio One RCA interconnect
    SilverSmith 'Fidelium' speaker cables
    Silent Source 'Music Reference' Power Cords x 3
    Innuos 'PhoenixNet' Switch
    CAD-CG-1

Audioquest 'fog lifters' under the Fidelium cables
    Arya Audio-RevOpods under my Tidal Speakers
    REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2
    Nordost V2 ethernet cable

EVP Isolation footers- subs-speakers- Lumin

Tweaks:
    Stillpoints Ultra SS under amps
    EVP HDR isolators 2" x 8...under my Lumin A1 and PSU
    EVP HDR isolators 4" x 16..under my Tidal speakers and my REL 212 SE subs

A couple of ideas:

- Shut down and restart both the Lumin and the device (iPad…). Do Lumin first and once it’s up, do the portable device.
    - If you use a Lumin L1, once the X1 is up. Go to the settings are and reload the library - should only take a few minutes.

Hope that helps!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Thanks for the ideas but that did not fix itÂ…
    Cables:
    CAD-CG-1

REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2

Tweaks:

Trying logging out of Tidal, shut down the Lumin app, relaunch and log back in.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Thanks…that worked…
    Cables:
    CAD-CG-1

REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2

Tweaks:

@bluesky “ Incidentally, my X1 has been running nonstop, 24/7/365 for probably a bit over two years now running a nice mix of music served up from a NAS connected optically to the X1 and I am as happy with it then as I am now”

Can you share the specifics of your NAS and how it connects optically to the X1?

Thanks

Using fiber now. While i will save the superlatives of my initilal impressions….also it would be much time between switching fiber and Ethernet that i think i can easily trick my brain into thinking one is better than the other... I will just say even though I’m not anywhere near the inter webs suggestions of burn in time…this X1 is pretty sweet.

I’m actually floored to make use of my SFP ports in my switch. If I can integrate things on the tech side to mix with my audio toys, then you can call me a happy clam!!

>>>BACCH-SP adio

Can anyone state the fuse value and size used in the X1? I'm thinking of trying a Hi-end fuse.

ozzy

All Lumin players / transports (except M1 and excluding AMP) that have a replaceable fuse use: 2A 5mm x 20mm.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thank you!

ozzy

Peter..without have to take both the main X1 body and the PSU out ...where is the fuse..?
    Cables:
    CAD-CG-1

REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2

Tweaks:

From the photos between the switch and IEC on the power supply.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Jack is correct
    [Associated with LUMIN]

Quote Originally Posted by thingswelike View Post
    Jack is correct
    Yes

Wysłane z mojego CPH2113 przy użyciu Tapatalka

kuli20...thanks..great pic
    Cables:
    CAD-CG-1

REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2

Tweaks:

Quote Originally Posted by calloway View Post
    kuli20...thanks..great pic
    Then tell us which fuse to buy and if you notice any changes. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andik777 View Post
    Orange - Synergistic its suuuuuppppppeeeerrrr

Wysłane z mojego CPH2113 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Thanks Kuli20

Will be receiving the Quantum Audio 'yellow' fuse early next week. will report back. If it improves the sound I will probably upgrade it to the next version. Tweek Geek gives you full price with return when upgrading..will be replacing the fuses in my SET monoblocks this friday..I replaced the fuse in my Innuos PheonixNet with a yellow fuse and it improved the sound significantly. That really surprised me..
    Cables:
    CAD-CG-1

REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2

Tweaks:

Quote Originally Posted by jaynyc View Post
    @bluesky “ Incidentally, my X1 has been running nonstop, 24/7/365 for probably a bit over two years now running a nice mix of music served up from a NAS connected optically to the X1 and I am as happy with it then as I am now”

Can you share the specifics of your NAS and how it connects optically to the X1?

Thanks
    Sorry I missed this question until just now. Nothing special for me here. I am using a QNAP TS-1685, a QNAP QNAP QSW-1208-8C unmanaged switch, single mode fiber and some cheap transceivers I found on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Andik777 View Post
    Please relax my friend...!!!
    McIntosh C302 + C2600 - Lumin A1 - Lenco L75 - Marantz SR6007 - Paradigm S6 - Gaia II - Chord Epic Twin Speaker Cable + Jumpers - Bada LB5500

Quote Originally Posted by Fer1000 View Post
    Please relax my friend...!!!
    Now I've really started to worry!! With the installation of that super expensive super fuse I am concerned that the fuse holder and IEC itself may need to be swapped out! Just kidding and having some fun!

I installed the 2 4amp 'yellow' Quantum fuses in my Grail SET amps yesterday. One of the amps designers helped me install them. we both were amazed at the improvement they made with regard to the clearness the presentation and blackness to the background they made. Even my wife immediately noticed the improvement and commented on it.i have another 'yellow' fuse coming next week for my X1..
    Cables:
    CAD-CG-1

REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2

Tweaks:

Is 4A the same rating as the factory default fuse in the Grail SET amps?
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by calloway View Post
    I installed the 2 4amp 'yellow' Quantum fuses in my Grail SET amps yesterday. One of the amps designers helped me install them. we both were amazed at the improvement they made with regard to the clearness the presentation and blackness to the background they made. Even my wife immediately noticed the improvement and commented on it.i have another 'yellow' fuse coming next week for my X1..
    Hello from Northern Virginia and it's good to hear that your experience is a positive one and a thumbs up from the wife is really icing on the cake. My wife's and my taste in music is so diametrically opposed that we rarely find the time to do any critical listening together but that's okay too.

Your findings particularly in concert with one of the amps designers does beg a question that I've always been wanting to ask but never did and that question is: Does any manufacturer of high end audio equipment specify these high end fuses as standard kit in the bill of materials from which they build their equipment? If not I wonder why not? Maybe it's the same reason that they don't provide ultra high end interconnects or power cables as standard equipment. Maybe it's all about the cost associated with providing the stuff or the sonic differences are so unique to an individual's hearing and the level of quality of their systems that it just doesn't make sense to try from an OEM perspective.

I am not aware of audio equipment that is supplied with audiophile-priced fuses from factory. However, I think there is a brand which specifically uses ceramic fuses. I think I've also read a European brand using a brand of fuse that is quite cheap in bulk, but when the fuse is packaged and sold to retail market the price is increased 50 times or more.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Back when I was in the US Navy, we used ceramic bodied fuses exclusively in all our equipment for safety reasons as fuses made of ceramic material wouldn't shatter like fuses made of glass have been known to do when severely overloaded. Roger that on the methods of packaging adding much to the cost of anything fuses included.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Lumin X1