Luxman 509x Review - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luxman 509x Review

Sure you can if you can get your hands on one that has the ability to control the gain like the plate amps used on subwoofers. Look on the GR Research site or talk to Danny Ritchie. Also look at the new Hypex Fusion amps that Clayton is using to do just that on his new Spatial models.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Nuprime CDT-8, Teac Reference NT-505, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II, Audia Flight FL Three S, Reynaud Abscissa Jubilee, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Dueland IC's, Triode Wire Labs SC & PC's, Equi=Core 1800, PI Audio Uberbuss, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Mivera Purepower, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Audio Sensibility SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jack. I knew gain was going to be an issue. I know of some Channel Islands Audio D-200 MkII. They have a gain setting of 32 or 26db. I have no idea how to tell if that works with the Luxman or the VSAs.

I will call Channel Islands tomorrow and see what they have to say. I am pretty confused as to what has to work with what.

I am going to speak to VSA tomorrow as well.
    "Audiophiles are the homeopathic healers of the electrical engineering world..."

2 Channel System - Lumin X1 > Luxman L-509X Integrated > Martin Logan 13a + Von Schweikert Audio VR 5 SE
    5.1 System - A-Tech 7000 Case HTPC > Intel i7-8700 > (JCAT USB & Net Card) > Roon Core + HD Plex 400W ATX > Pioneer Elite UDP-LX-500 > Emotiva XMC-1 > ATI 1505 Amp > Evolution Acoustic Micro One (L,C,R) + Lyngdorf MH-2 (rear) > REL S3 SHO Sub
    Vintage - Modified Yamaha CR-1020 > Modified ADS L710
    Audience & Verastarr cabling

Post Thanks / Like

I would call Danny as well as powered bass modules with high efficiency mid and tweeter drivers is the basis for all of his larger tower speaker designs. Though most of designs are eventually sold as flat pack kits he does assemble multiple copies for testing before selling them and takes the assembled and finished versions to shows. His amps also have gain and crossover controls.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Nuprime CDT-8, Teac Reference NT-505, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II, Audia Flight FL Three S, Reynaud Abscissa Jubilee, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Dueland IC's, Triode Wire Labs SC & PC's, Equi=Core 1800, PI Audio Uberbuss, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Mivera Purepower, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Audio Sensibility SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GreginNH View Post
    hellrider77-you will get the desired sound with the L-590AX MKII. It outperforms the 509X by a noticeable margin.
    Aren't we talking apples and oranges here? Isn't the 590 class A?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4N6 View Post
    Would absolutely love to hear this amp. Just read a review which compared it to the 590aX-II. Basically described what I guessed it would...the Class A amp is warmer, richer, but with less detail and transparency. I think what is said above is correct, really different flavors and system dependent.

The 509, however, sounds like it would be a fabulous partner for my Elipsa SE's.

Mike's recommending it (the 509X) to go with the Harbeth Super HL 5 Plus speakers for my future system. Should be an excellent combo for my average to smallish (11' x 27') room. Can't wait to audition both the Luxman and Harbeths.

6. Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    Aren't we talking apples and oranges here? Isn't the 590 class A?
    Actually no, the 590 is Class A up to the specified power rating (30/60W in 8/4ohms) after this point, according to lab measurements they are pretty much class AB: 95/165W into 8 and 4 ohms (97/180/303W into 8/4/2 ohms peak) for 590AX MkII and 155/255W into 8 and 4 ohms (183/342/507W into 8/4/2 ohms peak) for 509x, all less than 1% THD. In real life, measurements aside, 590 is able to better control difficult loads (tested on Marten Django XL) while sounding more refined at the upper extreme of comfortable listening sound pressure level. At least this was my first hand experience in dealer showroom.
    As much as I wanted to better like the new 509x, it was just not up to the rest of the integrated Luxman line. Before any decision, I would advise anyone interested into top of the line Luxman integrated to listen 590AX MKII against 509x.

Of course, the Django XL's are killer speakers for integrates (separate power amps or even mono-blocks are better suited to the task) and my above statements should be taken with reasonable amounts of cautiousness.

In the end, I could not justify the Luxman gear costs (read "almost broke") and went with another brand SACD/DAC and amplifier combo from another reputable Japanese manufacturer but came without bragging rights enclosed in the package, they must have misplaced it. Measurement-wise is somewhere in between the two amplifiers but with less than 0.01% THD.

Still drooling over Luxman gear though.....
    Last edited by hellrider77; Today at 04:08 AM. Reason: typo

8. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2