Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Berning ZOTL Pre One vs Linear tube audio MZ2

Guys, I already have the LTA MZ2 preamp with linear PSU upgrade. I love it a lot. No complains at all. I just have an opportunity to buy Berning ZOTL pre One preamp with in-built phono stage which is a huge plus for me (the phono part). I am just worried that Berning ZOTL Pre One uses a SMPS power supply (I know it is very advanced but still) and LTA allows me to use linear PSU which is very smooth and analog sounding. Has anyone heard both these preamp to comment on how they compare ?

Re: Berning ZOTL Pre One vs Linear tube audio MZ2

I have the MZ2 into my Berning Quadrature Z's but not had the opportunity to try Berning's own pre for comparison. That said, if you speak to LTA, they have now introduced a fully-specced pre, which they believe to be a step up from the MZ2, and are considering "cloning" the Berning Pre One as a final step up, so they definitely believe there is an upgrade to be had.

The other point to note is that you can run the Pre One from a separate 12V source.

Quote Originally Posted by heihei View Post
    I have the MZ2 into my Berning Quadrature Z's but not had the opportunity to try Berning's own pre for comparison. That said, if you speak to LTA, they have now introduced a fully-specced pre, which they believe to be a step up from the MZ2, and are considering "cloning" the Berning Pre One as a final step up, so they definitely believe there is an upgrade to be had.

The other point to note is that you can run the Pre One from a separate 12V source.
    I totally believe that the Berning Pre One is a higher design than the MZ2 but it is the PSU that I am comparing. It is good to know that the Pre One has a 12 volt input (I had no idea of such a feature in the Pre one) but then which PSU ? Every PSU will have a different grade of sonics. If Berning himself builds one or recommends one from a third party then I would gladly take that option. Any suggestions ?

2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

I'd email Mark at LTA and David himself if I were you - both very helpful via email.

Super Moderator

Even though I love my current LTA MZ2, I'd love to hear the new preamp. I am sure it will be great.

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Hi Joe,

I just took delivery of my Sit 3, is it a good match with the MZ2 ? Would you have an another preamp to advise me ?

Thanks
    PTP+ Schick arm+ Phasemation PP300, Aurorasound Vida, Zardoz -Meitner MA1-First-Watt Sit 3/ JobPre2-Marten

Super Moderator

Congratulations!

The SIT3 is absolutely amazing. Perfect for me and my taste.

The MZ2 is a great match but I’m curious about the new full sized LTA preamp. As far as others to consider, I’d have to think about what they’d be. I think something a little lively and open like the MZ2 or similar will complement the SIT3 perfectly.

I am trying to get hold of a Conrad Johnson preamp, either GAT2 or GAT could be simply sublime. Even their new updated ET7 or ET6 would probably be awesome as well.

What kind of budget were you thinking about for the preamp? I probably should have asked first.

Your Job Pre2 should be good but the MZ2 will absolutely be better.
    Last edited by joeinid; January 6, 2019 at 12:17 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Thank you Joe, yes the pre2job is not suitable, it does not have enough gain, I'll be curious to have your opinion on the LTA, here it is impossible to listen. For Budget I will not exceed that of an ET6SE for example. You have not considered an XP12 or XP22 for example?
    PTP+ Schick arm+ Phasemation PP300, Aurorasound Vida, Zardoz -Meitner MA1-First-Watt Sit 3/ JobPre2-Marten

Super Moderator

I have not heard the new XP12/22 preamps yet. I am curious though.

I have owned an X0.2, XP10 and the XP30 twice. I remember liking them but not loving them. I have to be honest, I am not a Pass preamp fan but absolutely love their amps. The new XP12/22 and upcoming XP32? could be great. I personally find the ones that I owned a little too solid state sounding. I’d be willing to try the new XP12/22 because I’ve heard great reports about them and believe they would be a great compliment to the SIT3.

Pass Labs and First Watt are superb companies and excellent customer service is paramount.
    Last edited by joeinid; January 6, 2019 at 02:21 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hi Joe,

I just had a loan Thrax Dyonisos, It's wonderful match with the Sit3, certainly the budget it's high but all the qualities of the Sit3 are multiplied with an energy like a muscle car !

Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator

Wow! What do you think? Looks great.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I will try to listen also The Coincident Statement MKII line stage, but for now the Thrax will be my next préamp.

Super Moderator

Excellent. I know people love the Coincident gear. I think there may have been a few updates recently. I don’t know how the sound is affected but reports are about improvements across the both amps and preamp.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hi Yami, for your analog and Thrax, is it Anamighty in Paris you interact with? It's a great shop for analog.

[DEVIS = bonzo; 259136] Bonjour Yami, pour ton analogue et Thrax, est-ce que tu interagis avec Anamighty à Paris? C'est un bon magasin pour l'analogique. [/ QUOTE]

Yes , they are very competent in the field of analog , and their choices are excellent. I listened recently a Thrax Orphéus (Phono), WOW... it's a phenomenon of resolution and naturalness !

Quote Originally Posted by Yami View Post
    [DEVIS = bonzo; 259136] Bonjour Yami, pour ton analogue et Thrax, est-ce que tu interagis avec Anamighty à Paris? C'est un bon magasin pour l'analogique. [/ QUOTE]

Yes , they are very competent in the field of analog , and their choices are excellent. I listened recently a Thrax Orphéus (Phono), WOW... it's a phenomenon of resolution and naturalness !
    Here is my write up on the visit to Anamighty. On my blog you will also find another Thrax vs FM 123 phono compare, where we preferred the Thrax

http://zero-distortion.org/analog-sh...amighty-sound/

[DEVIS = bonzo; 259140] Voici mon article sur la visite à Anamighty. Sur mon blog, vous trouverez également une autre comparaison phono Thrax vs FM 123, où nous avons préféré le Thrax

http://zero-distortion.org/analog-sh...amighty-sound/ [/ QUOTE]

Beautiful report ! It's really a nice place and Anamightysound Team is friendly.

Joinid, As we have some of the same gear, (Avantgarde Duo XD, Luxman MQ-300), and I'm thinking about trying the new LTA pre-amp with the Luxman. I've listened to the LTA MZ2 and 3 as an amp and really like it, but not quite as dramatic as the Luxman.

So, I was wondering if you've listened to your LTA before the Luxman and what you think of their synergy? Thanks
    Source: Taiko Audio Server, Cisco 2960 Switch, Gigafoil, Lampizator Pacific Dac. Amp: Bakoon 13r Speakers: AvantGarde Duo Mezzo XD, Cables: Alan Maher Designs Power, Duelund Speaker, Shunyata Sigma IC's Audioquest Diamond ethernet. Room Treatment Vicoustic.

Super Moderator

Hi,

I have the MZ2 and like it but feel, for my taste, it's a little "too neutral" even with 300B type amps on my Duo XD. Even with Brimar or similar NOS tubes, I'd like a little "more". I need some warmth or a little sweetness.

I don't know about the new LTA preamp but think the house sound might carry through the same way.

I think there's a matching MQ-300 preamp coming which has me intrigued. Even my C900u was awesome and prefer it to the MZ2 oddly enough but the C900u is very special and a little more expensive though.

I don't know when the Luxman pre is coming. Mike may be able to find out.

ps. I don't like to use any dac direct to my amp, no matter which dac. I always like a preamp in the chain.
    Last edited by joeinid; March 15, 2019 at 08:12 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

So you like the solid state c900u with the Luxman 300b amp? I was thinking a good solid state might be a nice mix with the 300b power amp. And I'm also thinking about the less expensive c600f which I think came out before the "u" pre amps.
    Source: Taiko Audio Server, Cisco 2960 Switch, Gigafoil, Lampizator Pacific Dac. Amp: Bakoon 13r Speakers: AvantGarde Duo Mezzo XD, Cables: Alan Maher Designs Power, Duelund Speaker, Shunyata Sigma IC's Audioquest Diamond ethernet. Room Treatment Vicoustic.

Joe

I think Terry found the house sound of the two LTA's the same just one was more and would be for over twice the price. The MZ3 which is considerably more expensive than the MZ2 might be closer. So if you want to go back to the CJ side of the spectrum probably not it. Might need to look for a 6SN7 based preamp.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Willco View Post
    So you like the solid state c900u with the Luxman 300b amp? I was thinking a good solid state might be a nice mix with the 300b power amp. And I'm also thinking about the less expensive c600f which I think came out before the "u" pre amps.
    Yes. The C900u was great.

Please check the output impedance specs on any preamp you are thinking about pairing with the MQ-300. I forget offhand what they are on those pieces.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Joe

I think Terry found the house sound of the two LTA's the same just one was more and would be for over twice the price. The MZ3 which is considerably more expensive than the MZ2 might be closer. So if you want to go back to the CJ side of the spectrum probably not it. Might need to look for a 6SN7 based preamp.
    Hi Jack,

Thank you. It's not in my signature yet but I was finally able to get what I really wanted, the CJ GAT2. I absolutely love that thing, even more than my original GAT. It's pretty amazing. I'm pretty much done now. Maybe some cable tweaks, possible new dac and that's it. I am so content at this point that I can not believe it. Some amps will be out the door soon. But the Luxman MQ300, SIT3, Valvet E2, and Wooden amp and preamp from Bulgaria are here to stay.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Hi Jack,

Thank you. It's not in my signature yet but I was finally able to get what I really wanted, the CJ GAT2. I absolutely love that thing, even more than my original GAT. It's pretty amazing. I'm pretty much done now. Maybe some cable tweaks, possible new dac and that's it. I am so content at this point that I can not believe it. Some amps will be out the door soon. But the Luxman MQ300, SIT3, Valvet E2, and Wooden amp and preamp from Bulgaria are here to stay.
    Tell us more about them or Start the thread ?
    Paul

Hi Jack,

Joe,

I've mentioned this before, but - just in case - you should know that the GAT is an absolute-polarity-inverting preamp. I too love the sound of the GAT. It only gets better when you reverse the polarity at both speakers.
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    Joe,

I've mentioned this before, but - just in case - you should know that the GAT is an absolute-polarity-inverting preamp. I too love the sound of the GAT. It only gets better when you reverse the polarity at both speakers.

Hi Jim,

Thank you very much. I remember from my previous GAT experience. I am curious though, does it matter if I reverse the cables at the amp as opposed to the speakers? I assume it’s the same thing. Any thoughts?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Tell us more about them or Start the thread ?
    I’ll start a new thread.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hi Jim,

Thank you very much. I remember from my previous GAT experience. I am curious though, does it matter if I reverse the cables at the amp as opposed to the speakers? I assume it’s the same thing. Any thoughts?
    I also assume it is the same thing.
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Super Moderator

NAD C 658 streamer.

I have a Berning Zotl pre one. The switching power supply causes no problems whatsoever. It’s a wonderful preamp.

Super Moderator

Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I have a Berning Zotl pre one. The switching power supply causes no problems whatsoever. It’s a wonderful preamp.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thank you for the welcome. I am a huge fan of Berning products.

Super Moderator

I apologize for the delay. Very sorry. Glad you are here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Thank you for the welcome. I am a huge fan of Berning products.

NAD C 658 streamer.

My understanding of power supplies:

1 typical switching power supply - cheap and kinda sucks
    2 Linear power supply - much better than the switching
    3 David Berning’s switching power supply - expensive, complicated and difficult to build but far superior to anything else out there. Far different from a typical PS, a true master piece.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Berning ZOTL Pre One vs Linear tube audio MZ2