Berning ZOTL Pre One vs Linear tube audio MZ2 - Page 3
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Berning ZOTL Pre One vs Linear tube audio MZ2

So you like the solid state c900u with the Luxman 300b amp? I was thinking a good solid state might be a nice mix with the 300b power amp. And I'm also thinking about the less expensive c600f which I think came out before the "u" pre amps.
    Source: Roon Nucleus, Cisco 2960 Switch, Gigafoil, Lampizator Pacific Dac. Amp: Luxman 300q power amp, Linear Tube Audio MZ3 pre amp Speakers: AvantGarde Duo Mezzo XD, JL Audio e112 subs. Cables: Alan Maher Designs Power, Duelund Speaker and Interconnects, Audioquest Diamond ethernet. Room Treatment from Vicoustic.

Post Thanks / Like

Joe

I think Terry found the house sound of the two LTA's the same just one was more and would be for over twice the price. The MZ3 which is considerably more expensive than the MZ2 might be closer. So if you want to go back to the CJ side of the spectrum probably not it. Might need to look for a 6SN7 based preamp.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Nuprime CDT-8, Teac Reference NT-505, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II, Kinki Studio EX-M1 , Reynaud Abscissa Jubilee, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Dueland IC's, Triode Wire Labs SC & PC's, Equi=Core 1800, PI Audio Uberbuss, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Nuprime ST-10, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Audio Sensibility SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willco View Post
    So you like the solid state c900u with the Luxman 300b amp? I was thinking a good solid state might be a nice mix with the 300b power amp. And I'm also thinking about the less expensive c600f which I think came out before the "u" pre amps.
    Yes. The C900u was great.

Please check the output impedance specs on any preamp you are thinking about pairing with the MQ-300. I forget offhand what they are on those pieces.
    Joe

Misho Myronov Wooden Amp and Wooden preamp, AkitikA GT-102 power amplifier, Valvet E2, Avantgarde Duo XD, McIntosh MC303, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300, Job INTegrated, Job 250 Monos, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini, McIntosh MCLK12, Conrad Johnson GAT2, Pass Labs XA25.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Joe

I think Terry found the house sound of the two LTA's the same just one was more and would be for over twice the price. The MZ3 which is considerably more expensive than the MZ2 might be closer. So if you want to go back to the CJ side of the spectrum probably not it. Might need to look for a 6SN7 based preamp.
    Hi Jack,

Thank you. It's not in my signature yet but I was finally able to get what I really wanted, the CJ GAT2. I absolutely love that thing, even more than my original GAT. It's pretty amazing. I'm pretty much done now. Maybe some cable tweaks, possible new dac and that's it. I am so content at this point that I can not believe it. Some amps will be out the door soon. But the Luxman MQ300, SIT3, Valvet E2, and Wooden amp and preamp from Bulgaria are here to stay.
    Joe

Misho Myronov Wooden Amp and Wooden preamp, AkitikA GT-102 power amplifier, Valvet E2, Avantgarde Duo XD, McIntosh MC303, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300, Job INTegrated, Job 250 Monos, Cary 300B SE, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini, McIntosh MCLK12, Conrad Johnson GAT2, Pass Labs XA25.

5. Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Hi Jack,

Thank you. It's not in my signature yet but I was finally able to get what I really wanted, the CJ GAT2. I absolutely love that thing, even more than my original GAT. It's pretty amazing. I'm pretty much done now. Maybe some cable tweaks, possible new dac and that's it. I am so content at this point that I can not believe it. Some amps will be out the door soon. But the Luxman MQ300, SIT3, Valvet E2, and Wooden amp and preamp from Bulgaria are here to stay.
    Tell us more about them or Start the thread ?
    Paul

7. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
    Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jack,

Joe,

I've mentioned this before, but - just in case - you should know that the GAT is an absolute-polarity-inverting preamp. I too love the sound of the GAT. It only gets better when you reverse the polarity at both speakers.
    Small Green Computer, gigaFoil 4 Ethernet filter w/ Keces PS-3, Sonore ultraRendu, MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; AQ Diamond USB, Duelund USB, Curious USB; Lush USB, Supra USB; PS Audio LanRover; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; 4 Audioquest Diamond ethernet - 0.75M, 1.5 M, 3M, 5M; Audioquest Diamond AES - 3M; Schiit Yggdrasil - updated; Ayre Codex; ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue integrated amplifier; Wyred4Sound STP-SE-2 preamplifier, Quicksilver Mid Mono amplifiers, all electronics on Grand Prix Audio stands; mass-loaded Tannoy Canterburys on custom stands; Outboard Duelund xover bypassing internal Tannoy xover & Tannoy EQ; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; mass-loaded REL 212 SEs; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA ICs; Stealth Dream PCs; dedicated custom room; various room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    Joe,

I've mentioned this before, but - just in case - you should know that the GAT is an absolute-polarity-inverting preamp. I too love the sound of the GAT. It only gets better when you reverse the polarity at both speakers.

Hi Jim,

Thank you very much. I remember from my previous GAT experience. I am curious though, does it matter if I reverse the cables at the amp as opposed to the speakers? I assume it’s the same thing. Any thoughts?
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Tell us more about them or Start the thread ?
    I’ll start a new thread.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jim,

Thank you very much. I remember from my previous GAT experience. I am curious though, does it matter if I reverse the cables at the amp as opposed to the speakers? I assume it’s the same thing. Any thoughts?
    I also assume it is the same thing.
    Small Green Computer, gigaFoil 4 Ethernet filter w/ Keces PS-3, Sonore ultraRendu, MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; AQ Diamond USB, Duelund USB, Curious USB; Lush USB, Supra USB; PS Audio LanRover; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; 4 Audioquest Diamond ethernet - 0.75M, 1.5 M, 3M, 5M; Audioquest Diamond AES - 3M; Schiit Yggdrasil - updated; Ayre Codex; ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue integrated amplifier; Wyred4Sound STP-SE-2 preamplifier, Quicksilver Mid Mono amplifiers, all electronics on Grand Prix Audio stands; mass-loaded Tannoy Canterburys on custom stands; Outboard Duelund xover bypassing internal Tannoy xover & Tannoy EQ; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; mass-loaded REL 212 SEs; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA ICs; Stealth Dream PCs; dedicated custom room; various room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

12. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
    Likes joeinid liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3