Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: AudioQuest Niagra and Storm Power Cable Review

Quote Originally Posted by johndoe21ro View Post
    Mike, you're covering it up! This is not ok... While 'the other day' Dragon was all PSS now we find out that is partially PSS, partially PSC+. What if your BMW dealer would tell you that the brand new car you've just bought is a V8 and you reach home and discover that it's a V6.. What the hell?! Those cables cost money and AQ should inform its clients regarding the specifications of their cables! That's a serious priority!

I agree. Not a grand conspiracy caused this mess but changed cables description on AQ own website and pricebook. Few days ago i read on this forum that there is no copper in Dragons. Now it is confirmed that Dragons are hybrid cables and only audiophiles curiosity lead to this.

Audioshark

Mike, you're covering it up! This is not ok... While 'the other day' Dragon was all PSS now we find out that is partially PSS, partially PSC+. What if your BMW dealer would tell you that the brand new car you've just bought is a V8 and you reach home and discover that it's a V6.. What the hell?! Those cables cost money and AQ should inform its clients regarding the specifications of their cables! That's a serious priority!
    Bullshit. I am going by the information I was given from AudioQuest after repeated questions (prompted by you guys). I don’t build the cables. Unlike ANY other dealer out there, I took this inquiry seriously and took it to the top. The answers I received was communicated here. Milimetr will confirm this as he was involved in the communications as well. The final conclusion on the question was written to Milimetr by Bill Low himself.

The fact remains however that the cable has NOT changed from day one and if I understand correctly (Milimetr can confirm), there are subtle differences even between HC Dragon and Source Dragon.

What I would like to know, is how is the copper used? Just for grounding? In the signal path? How much copper vs silver?
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Yes, Mike contributed to clear the things up.
    I am glad that at the moment everything is clear.

AudioQuest Niagra and Storm Power Cable Review

just ordered two 3 mtr AQ Thunder HCs for the Lansches. Quite interested to hear the difference.

There’s at this point nothing I particularly would like to change in the sound. But I simply think the speakers with the active bass units and the Plasma tweeters deserve better power.

And after the great experience with the Niagara I am quite sold on Audioquest in the power department.
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Double post.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    just ordered two 3 mtr AQ Thunder HCs for the Lansches. Quite interested to hear the difference.

There’s at this point nothing I particularly would like to change in the sound. But I simply think the speakers with the active bass units and the Plasma tweeters deserve better power.

And after the great experience with the Niagara I am quite sold on Audioquest in the power department.
    You won’t regret it. I love my Tornado’s and dream of upgrading to the Hurricanes.
    Digital: Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server + MSB Premier DAC with Powerbase
    Amp: Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
    Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables
    Power: AQ Niagara 5000 + AQ Tornado power cables
    Headphones (travel): Sennheiser Momentum + Chord Mojo

Just noticed you have AQ Niagra 5000. When did that happen? Thought you liked Shunyata.
    Digital: Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server + MSB Premier DAC with Powerbase
    Amp: Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
    Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables
    Power: AQ Niagara 5000 + AQ Tornado power cables
    Headphones (travel): Sennheiser Momentum + Chord Mojo

Yes, I used to have all Shunyata on the power side, but switched to AQ maybe 1 1/2 years ago.

I’m very happy with the move, find them better value for money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did anyone hear the Silver Cloud?
    Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon HC < AQ WEL Signature XLR < Chord Qutest w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < SOtM tX-USBultra w 75Ohm Master Clock Input, Paul Hynes SR5-12 Turbo XL & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Aurender N-100H w AQ Dragon Source < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Solid Tech Hybrid < Ansuz Darkz D-TC, Darkz D2, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer & Gold SE < Furutech FT-SWS < Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Did anyone hear the Silver Cloud?
    Haven't heard it, but it's confusing between the series and the pricing. I was told that the Robin Hood Silver is better than the William Tell regular. Silver is used to lower the noise floor as well as a few other things. I have wondered how the Silver Cloud sounds vs the Tornado or possibly Hurricane. I've had plenty of friends asking me about the Wind series cables.

I know the connectors on the Wind series are molded adn fit the Develiet, Linn and Vandersteen speakers as the larger connectors won't fit these devices (I"m sure there are others too).

Mike will probably know as he seems to get all the cables in and listens a lot.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20
    The Memory Player with built in DAC and headphone amp built in on order
    AQ Niagara 1000 power device
    Audioquest William Tell bi wire speaker cable
    Wireworld 8 optical cable into the Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh from the TV and Blueray to reclock
    Wireworld Platnium 8 ethernet cables into the EMO 70e ethernet filter into The Memory Player from Eero mesh router
    All routers, cable box and synchro mesh powered by the Wyred4sound LPS box with separate supplies for each
    Audioquest power outlets and four dedicated power lines in the room
    ZMF Ori headphones with the Audioarts 15' Pono balanced cable for the QX5/20
    Empire Ears Phantom CIEM's
    Rhapsodio 2.98 mk2 gold plated silver cable for Phantom

Audioshark

All depends on the system. AQ silver seems smoooooth to my ears, unlike some silver cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Mike, you are dead on. There are a lot of reasons for Silver getting a bad rap. When silver is slowly drawn and properly produced, it will be smooth, highly detailed and have a much lower noise floor. I think it may be due to the larger grain size, but am not 100% on that. It makes sense though.

Mike have you ever heard Silver Cloud vs Tornado or Hurricane? Just curious. I have Quatro's as you know, so I'll be wanting either Blizzard or possibly Thunder or Tornado most probably. I know that silver would be lose on the bass only amp. Even Richard V said as much.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20
    Wireworld 8 optical cable into the Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh from the TV and Blueray to reclock
    Wireworld Platnium 8 ethernet cables into the EMO 70e ethernet filter into The Memory Player from Eero mesh router
    All routers, cable box and synchro mesh powered by the Wyred4sound LPS box with separate supplies for each

From my experience, particularly with interconnects, AQ silver is smooth, crisp, and transparent. The higher up you go in the line the more neutral they are, meaning if your system is bright it will show just that. I was actually surprised comparing the Fire interconnect cables vs. WEL, the Fires were actually on the warmer side. I can imagine you get the same with the power cables.
    -----------------------------------------
    Borresen 02, Virtus RI-101, Ansuz A2 loom

Quote Originally Posted by eziggy View Post
    From my experience, particularly with interconnects, AQ silver is smooth, crisp, and transparent. The higher up you go in the line the more neutral they are, meaning if your system is bright it will show just that. I was actually surprised comparing the Fire interconnect cables vs. WEL, the Fires were actually on the warmer side. I can imagine you get the same with the power cables.
    From what I hear, you are correct in that everything gets better and better the higher up you go. Neutral as heck compared to all the other cables folks have brought to the house to hear. I own the WEL balanced from The memory Player server/DAC into my Ayre AX5/20 and it was a system revelation. I was blessed to be able to get the cable (used from a friend who really helped me out). It's one reason I am hesitant to go with mono blocks (that plus space concerned, lol). The more you have invested in cable, the more difficult it is to change configuration or move the system around the room, lol..
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20

I have the WEL XLRs too and I couldn't be more happy. But I'd say that WELs are more balanced sounding than the Fires! Just my 2 cents.
    Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon HC < AQ WEL Signature XLR < Chord Qutest w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < SOtM tX-USBultra w 75Ohm Master Clock Input, Paul Hynes SR5-12 Turbo XL & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Aurender N-100H w AQ Dragon Source < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Solid Tech Hybrid < Ansuz Darkz D-TC, Darkz D2, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer & Gold SE < Furutech FT-SWS < Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Hey Guys, just found this thread. I am a big fan of Nordost Cables. Primarily have the Odin 2/Odin 1 power cables.

I read Mike's post about the blind testing with a variety of power cables. And the Audioquest was the clear winner. Just wanted to see which ones from AQ were used. AND I know this thread is 2 years old but what did they find -what sonic attributes did the AQ exhibit over the others?

The Odin power cables are detailed & yet not forward. IN my system they just make the soundstage come alive and multilayered.

I still need to get a few more and this has my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Timobi View Post
    Hey Guys, just found this thread. I am a big fan of Nordost Cables. Primarily have the Odin 2/Odin 1 power cables.

I read Mike's post about the blind testing with a variety of power cables. And the Audioquest was the clear winner. Just wanted to see which ones from AQ were used. AND I know this thread is 2 years old but what did they find -what sonic attributes did the AQ exhibit over the others?

The Odin power cables are detailed & yet not forward. IN my system they just make the soundstage come alive and multilayered.

I still need to get a few more and this has my interest.
    I have had the Odin wires in my system. I had my own Hurricanes for cords and I used my WEL balanced interconnect. The ethernet was Wireworld Series 7 (2 pair) with a. special hospital grade ethernet filter that I've ended up purchasing and using. The power is through the inexpensive Niagara 1000. The Niagara was plugged into my AQ outlet. I have 4 dedicated, same length wires running to their own breakers that are separately grounded using very very long copper rods into the ground. Square D are the basic breakers and box used. The runs are up to the loft (2nd level) and are about 15' in total length based on where the box is located as it's fairly high on the basement wall.

We played for weeks with Odin vs all AQ. I didn't have any desire to used different companies cables/cords in the system. Odin was tipped up on the high end and it gave it a 'sense' of larger stage etc.., but in reality they were a bit bright (not as bright as some others). They just weren't balanced like the AQ wires are. They are outstanding wires, don't' get me wrong, but I am one of those who has always been bothered by wires that are tipped up on top. MANY are as it's a compromise that designers go with. I have the same issue with many speakers on the market too.

We all have hot buttons with compromises. I also hate speakers/systems that aren't coherent from top to bottom. If a system is too bass heavy or mid centric or tipped up on top, I can't listen to it. I'm bored quickly or fatigued fairly quickly (1 hr at the most).

I say all of this to qualify my thoughts. Over the course of time I had the wires in, there were many who listened at various times. Not once did the Nordost win out. Some of the speakers guys used who listened were Wilson, Magico, Focal,Revel, Rockport Lyra's, Vandersteen, Dynaudio, Avalon (Times), PSB, Paradigm, Meridian, B&W, Maggies, Pro Ac and a few more lesser known brands. Ears were all over the board and I believe most normally LOVE a tipped up treble and or 'pounding bass'.

I did notice that up front many would chose the Nordost, but after the second time through of switching (not scientific, but it was blind so they didn't know what they were listening to) they all chose the AQ wires. When we looked at the results they all said that (we just used A loom or B loom to discuss) they realized that the AQ loom was more natural in presentation, sounded best on all music choices, was probably even more extended overall, but since it wasn't bright (nor was it warm), they wanted to listen longer and the piano, triangle and cymbals all sounded more realistic.

They all liked the Odin a lot, so it's nothing against them. They just felt the AQ were much more realistic and gave more micro and macro detail. The noise floor was a lot lower with AQ and that's why they gave so much detail and why you could hear placement a bit better etc... Garth has just nailed things. I can't wait to hear what his new line of interconnects will sound like.

When I met him (I got to hear the prototypes of the cords as well as his Niagara's (7000 and 1000) I was blown away. He's just such a passionate guy. He loves music as much as gear and he's very nice. Few are able to make technical talk understandable to the masses. He can do that. There are many in the industry who I like and also respect. I don't necessarily love or even like in some cases, their gear. We all hear differently. Mike sells and has sold so many wires over the years. He's by FAR the best adn most equipped on this board to properly answer. HE gets feedback from a wider range of customers.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20

Quote Originally Posted by Ctsooner View Post
    I have had the Odin wires in my system. I had my own Hurricanes for cords and I used my WEL balanced interconnect. The ethernet was Wireworld Series 7 (2 pair) with a. special hospital grade ethernet filter that I've ended up purchasing and using. The power is through the inexpensive Niagara 1000. The Niagara was plugged into my AQ outlet. I have 4 dedicated, same length wires running to their own breakers that are separately grounded using very very long copper rods into the ground. Square D are the basic breakers and box used. The runs are up to the loft (2nd level) and are about 15' in total length based on where the box is located as it's fairly high on the basement wall.

We played for weeks with Odin vs all AQ. I didn't have any desire to used different companies cables/cords in the system. Odin was tipped up on the high end and it gave it a 'sense' of larger stage etc.., but in reality they were a bit bright (not as bright as some others). They just weren't balanced like the AQ wires are. They are outstanding wires, don't' get me wrong, but I am one of those who has always been bothered by wires that are tipped up on top. MANY are as it's a compromise that designers go with. I have the same issue with many speakers on the market too.

We all have hot buttons with compromises. I also hate speakers/systems that aren't coherent from top to bottom. If a system is too bass heavy or mid centric or tipped up on top, I can't listen to it. I'm bored quickly or fatigued fairly quickly (1 hr at the most).

I say all of this to qualify my thoughts. Over the course of time I had the wires in, there were many who listened at various times. Not once did the Nordost win out. Some of the speakers guys used who listened were Wilson, Magico, Focal,Revel, Rockport Lyra's, Vandersteen, Dynaudio, Avalon (Times), PSB, Paradigm, Meridian, B&W, Maggies, Pro Ac and a few more lesser known brands. Ears were all over the board and I believe most normally LOVE a tipped up treble and or 'pounding bass'.

I did notice that up front many would chose the Nordost, but after the second time through of switching (not scientific, but it was blind so they didn't know what they were listening to) they all chose the AQ wires. When we looked at the results they all said that (we just used A loom or B loom to discuss) they realized that the AQ loom was more natural in presentation, sounded best on all music choices, was probably even more extended overall, but since it wasn't bright (nor was it warm), they wanted to listen longer and the piano, triangle and cymbals all sounded more realistic.

They all liked the Odin a lot, so it's nothing against them. They just felt the AQ were much more realistic and gave more micro and macro detail. The noise floor was a lot lower with AQ and that's why they gave so much detail and why you could hear placement a bit better etc... Garth has just nailed things. I can't wait to hear what his new line of interconnects will sound like.

When I met him (I got to hear the prototypes of the cords as well as his Niagara's (7000 and 1000) I was blown away. He's just such a passionate guy. He loves music as much as gear and he's very nice. Few are able to make technical talk understandable to the masses. He can do that. There are many in the industry who I like and also respect. I don't necessarily love or even like in some cases, their gear. We all hear differently. Mike sells and has sold so many wires over the years. He's by FAR the best adn most equipped on this board to properly answer. HE gets feedback from a wider range of customers.
    Hi Ctsooner.

Which version of the Nordost Odin did you use in your testing? Odin1 or Odin2?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rockport Lyra speakers; TotalDac Amp-1 mono blocks; four box CH Precision L1/X1 pre/power supply monos; CH precision P1/X1 phono/power supply; TotalDac d1-driver monos; Pacific Microsonics Model 2 DAC; TotalDac d1-12 MkII DAC with two reclockers; Kodo The Beat Turnatable with LT Schroder magnesium tonearm and Lyra Atlas cart; Taiko Extreme server; Kalista Dreamplayer CD Transport; Taiko Audio Daiza Platforms; Nordost Odin2 Power Cords and Analog ICs; 512 Engineering/Tim Marutani Balanced Transformers (30 amp for sources; 50 amp for amps); Rives designed dedicated room.

Hello all, I am also interested in Mike s opinion on the Silver Cloud vs Hurricane Source (to use on Halcro preamp in my case)
    I have been discussing the amazing Storm and Wind series with my friend Ctsooner for some time now (much obliged for your kind and elaborate replies again btw @ Ctsooner) and almost ready to make the jump
    I borrowed a Tornado Source and Tornado High current from a friend, I put the Tornado Hc on the powerbar feeding all the source components and pre, and the Tornado Source on the Halcro dm10 preamp. I am happy with the added resolution and dynamics, but when I substitute the Tornado Source with a Wireworld Silver Electra on the preamp, I notice the highs are more extended and sweeter, this is also noticable on female vocals... Resolution and dynamics go down some notches with the Silver Electra however...
    @Mike, which cable would you recommend to combine the strengths of both cables on the pre: resolution, dynamics and sweetness and extended silky highs? My friend Ct recommended the Hurricane Source over the Silver Cloud, for better top to bottom coherence... What is your take on this, given that the Silver Cloud seems like a poor men’s Firebird without the special construction and thicker concentric wires, yet still more expensive then a Hurricane Source? Any special magic (silver ) in that cord over the Hurricane Source?
    I would go Tornado HC on the power amps for budget reasons, but on the power socket bar feeding the sources and pre I could put a Hurricane hc and a Hurricane source on pre, or alternatively I was thinking a Tornado HC to feed the power socket bar and a Silver Cloud on the preamp...
    Thx for your advise!

Sorry, just saw this. never got an email saying there was a response. It was the Odin 2. They had just gotten them in and burned in. They also sell the AQ cables, but never stocked the high end ones as they like Transparent and Nordost more. After hearing my system, they started to sell more and more AQ cables and cords.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueskywalker View Post
    Hello all, I am also interested in Mike s opinion on the Silver Cloud vs Hurricane Source (to use on Halcro preamp in my case)
    I have been discussing the amazing Storm and Wind series with my friend Ctsooner for some time now (much obliged for your kind and elaborate replies again btw @ Ctsooner) and almost ready to make the jump
    I borrowed a Tornado Source and Tornado High current from a friend, I put the Tornado Hc on the powerbar feeding all the source components and pre, and the Tornado Source on the Halcro dm10 preamp. I am happy with the added resolution and dynamics, but when I substitute the Tornado Source with a Wireworld Silver Electra on the preamp, I notice the highs are more extended and sweeter, this is also noticable on female vocals... Resolution and dynamics go down some notches with the Silver Electra however...
    @Mike, which cable would you recommend to combine the strengths of both cables on the pre: resolution, dynamics and sweetness and extended silky highs? My friend Ct recommended the Hurricane Source over the Silver Cloud, for better top to bottom coherence... What is your take on this, given that the Silver Cloud seems like a poor men’s Firebird without the special construction and thicker concentric wires, yet still more expensive then a Hurricane Source? Any special magic (silver ) in that cord over the Hurricane Source?
    I would go Tornado HC on the power amps for budget reasons, but on the power socket bar feeding the sources and pre I could put a Hurricane hc and a Hurricane source on pre, or alternatively I was thinking a Tornado HC to feed the power socket bar and a Silver Cloud on the preamp...
    Thx for your advise!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Thx Joe! have been reading a lot on this forum, but never posted or registered here seems, funny! What quarantine isnt all good for

I"ve really enjoyed this site over the years. Folks are nice to each other and we all allow each other to give their opinions in a non threatening way. Mike will see this thread I'm sure (because im' going to let him know, lol)....no need for a new thread.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20

Blue, I have told you that Hurricane source is the way you want to go. Silver Cloud is a specialty type of cord. I'm not the only one who feels this way either I promise you that.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20

specialty as far as what?

Specialty isn't the right word. I've heard it vs the Hurricane in my system. It possibly had a lower noise floor, but none of us could really tell. To my ears, it didn't seem to be as full in the bass as the Hurricane. It's a heck of a cord though.

If your system can produce bass below 40k, I would bet that the Hurricane would be a better choice, but electricity is similar to digital in that every house is different. It's why you must listen in your own system to really tell which one to get. There just isn't any way around that. I'm sure Mike and anyone else who puts systems together will tell you the same.

That said, I've never heard Dragon's to not be the best power cord I've ever heard in any system I've heard them in.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20

Ive been debating trying some Audioquest cables and I just cant get over how bulky and chunky the braided cables look. They must be a nightmare to run and route in 1M lengths. This is why the Silver Cloud appealed to me a little more.

But it also looks like the Silver Cloud cables are made overseas... correct me if I'm wrong and they make them in-house but general consensus is that any molded plug cables are overseas.

I was told molded plugs are overseas. I wouldn't worry too much about where the cords and cables are made as these are very special. If you do care, then you will want to look at the braided ones. Unless you are moving your system around a lot, I wouldn't worry about the braid. I have zero room behind my system, and I was able to route them all. They are very heavy though and you must make sure they are plugged in all the way as you have to for any other cable, lol. I also have an AQ socket which holds it in place and won't let go. I use plants around the room for acoustics anyways, so I hide the cords with small plants and it looks great as they are basically hidden.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20

I recommend doing the 2 meter length in the braided AQ cables. The 1 meter is really difficult to work with. I’ve attached a picture of my cables. The braided cables lay down pretty well if you have some extra length.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Morgan

NEW SYSTEM UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Theres a fine balance between a cable being held securely by a socket and it being damaged by a socket. I have found the PS Audio and Torus sockets did damage to the blades on some of my previous power cords. That should not happen and Furutech sockets have a perfect balance of both grip and delicacy.

Also, cables that are too heavy or create too much tension can easily shift lighter components on a rack. So again, not good. But those are simply my experiences with some thick, heavy and stiff cables.

1M is all I need, anything extra is a waste of money. I don’t see a point in spending thousands of dollars more on cables just so they’re a little more manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by dznutz View Post
    1M is all I need, anything extra is a waste of money. I don’t see a point in spending thousands of dollars more on cables just so they’re a little more manageable.
    I have both 1 meter, 1.5 meter, and 2.0 meter Audioquest PC lengths and my experience with them suggests to get the length you need and not longer. Because of the construction, extra length is NOT particularly user friendly to find space for, in my opinion.
    Christian

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest & Iconoclast interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D-10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables

Quote Originally Posted by Rnrmf View Post
    I have both 1 meter, 1.5 meter, and 2.0 meter Audioquest PC lengths and my experience with them suggests to get the length you need and not longer. Because of the construction, extra length is NOT particularly user friendly to find space for, in my opinion.
    I also have the AudioQuest Hurricanes and I agree with these comments. Extra length just takes up too much space and you’ll have a mess behind your rack. I find them to be pretty flexible because the braided design has some forgiveness. Extra length can also put additional stress on the connection to the component due to the extra weight of the power cords.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

+3

I have one 1m Hurricane connected to my Pacific DAC, as that is exactly the lenght I needed.

I also have 3m ones on my monos.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

I use 1m for all except my Niagara to the wall. That's a 2m as I haven' been able to get an electrician in to install the outlet behind the rack, lol. I honestly have zero issues with length or socket.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20

I tried Tornado HC and Tornado Source in my system and they do sound different and have their specific purpose in the system, as their name suggests and Garth intended... the Source bringing more finesse and ideal for preamp or sources and the HC ideal for amplifiers or socket bars feeding components bringing a huge but detailed and controlled energy.
    Putting the HC on the preamp simply brought too much energy in my system, it sounded like a bulldozer, so the names and difference between HC and Source cables is not just to market a bit more affordable version of the same cable.
    @Ctsooner did you compare the Silver Cloud with the Hurricane Source or the Hurricane HC in your system?

Just took delivery on two AudioQuest Dragon Source Power Cords for my MSB Select DAC. Stay tuned!

Ken
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

The Dragons are out of the dungeon and into the system! Initial thoughts are ease ease ease. There’s a certain rightness to the timbres and imaging that I’ve not heard before. Purely natural. Just an amazing improvement in sound quality over the Hurricanes, which I liked a lot.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    The Dragons are out of the dungeon and into the system! Initial thoughts are ease ease ease. There’s a certain rightness to the timbres and imaging that I’ve not heard before. Purely natural. Just an amazing improvement in sound quality over the Hurricanes, which I liked a lot.

Ken
    Congrats on the purchase!
    Am I correct in assuming you replaced Hurricane Source with Dragon Source?
    Could you specify the rightness in timbres a bit more maybe compare bass, mid and high range of both cables? thx!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post

Ken
    I've demo'd the Hurricanes at least twice, one of the times directly against the Dragons, trying to convince myself I could get away with the Hurricane in a spot or two of my system.

Nope.
    Christian

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest & Iconoclast interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D-10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables

Congrats on the purchase!
    Am I correct in assuming you replaced Hurricane Source with Dragon Source?
    Could you specify the rightness in timbres a bit more maybe compare bass, mid and high range of both cables? thx!
    Thank you! Yes, I replaced the two Hurricane Source Power Cords with two Dragon Source Power Cords on my MSB Select DAC. Please keep in mind that the Dragons are brand new out of the box today and are hardly broken in.

Nevertheless they already sound magnificent. The treble is more airy with greater detail and extension, delivered with delicacy in a totally non-fatiguing fashion. The midrange provides great insight into the music with wonderful tonal shading and layering. The bass is articulate with just the right amount of texture. I found the Hurricane bass to be a bit overstated, somewhat overpowering vocals and piano on upright bass duets. The Dragon bass seems to be better balanced, blending seamlessly with midrange and treble.

The Dragons provide more refinement, painting a musical portrait with smaller brush strokes compared to the Hurricane’s broad brush strokes. Lastly, imaging is far more three dimensional with instruments and vocals well-placed and floating in space. You can really hear the depth of the soundstage.

Ken

Duplicate post.

@Alpinist thanks for the extra description, this is just the kind of info I need... Did you also test the Firebird Source or the Silver Cloud by any chance? Dragons are really expensive, and the other two cables do offer a mix of copper and silver as well, so maybe they don’t give up too much of the Dragon Source qualities?

Double post

@Alpinist thanks for the extra description, this is just the kind of info I need... Did you also test the Firebird Source or the Silver Cloud by any chance? Dragons are really expensive, and the other two cables do offer a mix of copper and silver as well, so maybe they don’t give up too much of the Dragon Source qualities?
    You’re welcome. Unfortunately, I have not tried the Firebird Source or Silver Cloud. I think Mike has probably had some experience with the Firebird though. Maybe he will chime in.

Ken

Duplicate post.

Audioshark

You start inching closer to the Dragon with Firebird and Silver Cloud, but the Dragon is so smooth, airy, organic, detailed with sweetness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    You start inching closer to the Dragon with Firebird and Silver Cloud, but the Dragon is so smooth, airy, organic, detailed with sweetness.
    Thanks for the reply Mike!
    On a source component, which of these qualities would I be mostly giving up on with the Firebird, where does it score a bit less well then the Dragon? Same question for the Silver Cloud...

Just had a reply from someone who compared Blizzard with Hurricane Source on a dac and thought I’d share it with the community: main differences are
    - more space between instruments and more detail
    - better controlled and a bit deeper bass
    - silence was even more “black”
    The Blizzard was actually bought by him to use on the power amp, but it brought a bigger difference in his system used on the dac. He now replaced it with a Hurricane Source.

double post - (no idea why this sometimes happens, I upload my reply once)
    Last edited by Blueskywalker; May 2, 2020 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Double post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team