Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

best in show... ymmv | axpona 2018

as it turns out, i was traveling yesterday and able to arrange a 7 hour layover in chicago which allowed me to attend axpona... what a fantastic show and it was great to hear all this great gear and, especially, talk with the manufacturers.

while all exhibitors had excellent demonstration rooms, there were three that really stood out for me and i just kept circling back to their rooms to listen. i am sure others' had their favorites but these three just impressed me immensely with the quality/character of the sound. it is the exactly the type of sound that i have been trying to get in my own system.

1> bandwidth audio -- if i were forced to pick a favorite, it would be these guys... absolutely stunning hand-wired tube amps: power, line-stage and phono-stage. they had them playing through tannoy turnberry speakers - a sublime pairing. after listening, it just made me want to sell all my gear and get that exact setup w/ the 2a3 mono amps. WOW! and, the two owner/engineers could not be nicer folks.

2> harbeth / vinnie rossi -- 30 seconds after walking into this room i fully understood the magic of harbeth speakers. they just immediately grabbed me with their full, rich sound. the 40.2s were of course great but the 30.2s were every bit as good. even the small p3esr pair was outstanding. anyone thinking of getting a pair of harbeths: just do it!

3> volti / border patrol -- they were showing the rival speakers. as one can imagine they are large and the external crossovers are larger than many speakers alone, but if one has the space... rich, immersive yet amazing "delicacy". only tube amps for these and the border patrol were more than excellent.

anyway, i really enjoyed these three in particular. as they say, ymmv and i am sure other attendees have their own favorites.

Attached Images Attached Images
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | almarro a318b + air tight atc-5 (phono) | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Super Moderator

Re: best in show... ymmv | axpona 2018

Thank you for your thoughts. I never heard of Bandwidth Audio. Time for a look.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    as it turns out, i was traveling yesterday and able to arrange a 7 hour layover in chicago which allowed me to attend axpona... what a fantastic show and it was great to hear all this great gear and, especially, talk with the manufacturers.

while all exhibitors had excellent demonstration rooms, there were three that really stood out for me and i just kept circling back to their rooms to listen. i am sure others' had their favorites but these three just impressed me immensely with the quality/character of the sound. it is the exactly the type of sound that i have been trying to get in my own system.

1> bandwidth audio -- if i were forced to pick a favorite, it would be these guys... absolutely stunning hand-wired tube amps: power, line-stage and phono-stage. they had them playing through tannoy turnberry speakers - a sublime pairing. after listening, it just made me want to sell all my gear and get that exact setup w/ the 2a3 mono amps. WOW! and, the two owner/engineers could not be nicer folks.

2> harbeth / vinnie rossi -- 30 seconds after walking into this room i fully understood the magic of harbeth speakers. they just immediately grabbed me with their full, rich sound. the 40.2s were of course great but the 30.2s were every bit as good. even the small p3esr pair was outstanding. anyone thinking of getting a pair of harbeths: just do it!

3> volti / border patrol -- they were showing the rival speakers. as one can imagine they are large and the external crossovers are larger than many speakers alone, but if one has the space... rich, immersive yet amazing "delicacy". only tube amps for these and the border patrol were more than excellent.

anyway, i really enjoyed these three in particular. as they say, ymmv and i am sure other attendees have their own favorites.

Thanks! You failed to mention that the cabling in your #2 & #3 was all Triode Wire Labs cabling... Sorry, but I invest quite of bit of time & money in these audio shows and I feel like Rodney Dangerfield, at times...

Cheers,
    Pete
    (Head "bottle-washer & cook" at Triode Wire Labs!)
    Triode Pete

Triode Wire Labs, Inc.
    Affordable Audiophile Cables
    http://www.TriodeWireLabs.com

Bandwidth is located and built right in Chicago and I got the impression still a young company.

I do like Volti, they always seem to show good.

Pete, you make a good point, we seem to ask, what amp, speakers, etc. but don't ask about cabling. At least for me, thinking back over the weekend, I'm guilty.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Super Moderator

Well done Pete!

TWL, the backbone of a great system
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Triode Wire Labs View Post
    Thanks! You failed to mention that the cabling in your #2 & #3 was all Triode Wire Labs cabling...
    pete - terribly sorry for the omission and i apologize profusely. cabling has a tremendous impact upon any system's sound... it is certainly no coincidence that Triode Wire Labs cables were part of two of the three systems that i enjoyed most! again, sorry for not including this in the original post.
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | almarro a318b + air tight atc-5 (phono) | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Pete,

Will you have products at the LA Audio Show? Will you be there?

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    pete - terribly sorry for the omission and i apologize profusely. cabling has a tremendous impact upon any system's sound... it is certainly no coincidence that Triode Wire Labs cables were part of two of the three systems that i enjoyed most! again, sorry for not including this in the original post.
    No worries whatsoever! The speakers & electronics always get mentioned and cables rarely do... It's all good!
    Triode Pete

Triode Wire Labs, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzie View Post
    Pete,

Will you have products at the LA Audio Show? Will you be there?
    No, I will not be there unlike the last 3 years... I heard a lot about "in-fighting" between the old "The Show" folks and the new LAAS folks... I hope they can get their acts together.

I may have some products at the show, though...

Best regards,
    Pete
    Triode Pete

Triode Wire Labs, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Triode Wire Labs View Post
    No, I will not be there unlike the last 3 years... I heard a lot about "in-fighting" between the old "The Show" folks and the new LAAS folks... I hope they can get their acts together.

I may have some products at the show, though...

Best regards,
    Pete
    Are you doing California Audio Show in SF in July Pete?
    Tannoy Westminster GR and ST-200 Supertweeter, Finale Audio 300B Mono's, Thoress Full Function Preamp, Thoress 845 Mono's, Found Music 2A3 Mono's, , Line Magnetic 219IA, Lumin A1, Lumin U1, EMM Labs DAC-2X, Lampizator Golden Atlantic DAC, Sansui TU-717, Kenwood KT-7500, Belden 8402 IC's, Duelund 16GA speaker wire

Quote Originally Posted by arthurs View Post
    Are you doing California Audio Show in SF in July Pete?
    Hey Art,
    My cables were there the last 2 years but I was not... Perhaps since I'm not doing the LAAS, I'll consider being there...

Are you bringing those phenomenal sounding Destination Audio horn loudspeakers??? Those are one of my all-time favorite horn speakers!

Cheers,
    Pete
    Triode Pete

Triode Wire Labs, Inc.

Ditto on the Destination Audio horn speakers.

A Guard in football has a good game when he's not noticed or singled out. Maybe the same can be said about the cables in a system.

Triode Wire Labs cables enhance the sound of our systems at the shows by not being noticed. I suppose that might be one reason why they are not talked about as much as the other components in the system.

I know it's cliche, but Pete's cables just get out of the way and let the music come through.

Greg

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Greg, thank you so much for joining.

NAD C 658 streamer.

It says I joined in October of 2013. You'd think I would have found something to post about in the last four and half years!

I went to the Bandwidth Audio website and their amps look terrific. What a great idea - dual parallel single ended 2A3. They claim the 2A3 has better bass than a 300B, and I'm sure they're right. But they obviously haven't heard a BorderPatrol S20 EXD EXS.

Greg

Super Moderator

Ha! You’re right! Thank you for finally posting

NAD C 658 streamer.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

best in show... ymmv | axpona 2018