Audio Research 160M - Page 20
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Audio Research 160M

Quote Originally Posted by Ctsooner View Post
    I heard the 160’s side by side vs the new boulder 28k amp and it wasn’t even close. I was impressed woth some of the things the Boulder did, but it was meh for me. The 160 was a treat. I felt it was so coherent. Gave a true 3D presentation. I was involved woth the music. Honestly it is one of my favorite amps right now. When we put on the dragon cords it scaled into another level above. I can’t imagine how it will sound with Garth’s new Firebird I believe it is called.
    I was as surprised as you were hearing the "new" ARC sound. Would never have guessed 10 years ago I would own one.

I've debated a 160m upgrade, but since I'm (physically) disabled going tube monoblocks is difficult and a major PITA. Actually, my 75SE is in the shop right now getting fixed- tube went out and took a resistor with it.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ 47 Labs MC Bee cart, MSB Premier DAC --> Music First Baby Reference v2 --> Audio Research Ref 75SE --> DeVore Fidelity Gibbon X

Post Thanks / Like

I too am disabled and I sold my tube gear. Now I have two tubes in my Memory Player server. I feel that SS has caught up if done right. That said this new set of AR gear is special.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20
    Ayre QX5/20 (The Memory Player with built in DAC and headphone amp built in on order)
    Steve Nugent rebuilt Mac mini (2009) with Paul Hynes LPS and custom silver cable server
    AQ Niagara 1000 power device
    Audioquest Castlerock speaker cables
    Wire world optical cable into the Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh from the TV and Blueray to reclock
    Wireworld Platnium 8 ethernet cables into the EMO 70e ethernet filter into the QX5/20 from Eero mesh router
    All routers, cable box and synchro mesh powered by the Wyred4sound LPS box with separate supplies for each
    Audioquest power outlets and two dedicated power lines in the room
    ZMF Ori headphones with the Audioarts 15' Pono balanced cable for the QX5/20
    Empire Ears Phantom CIEM's
    A&K 380cu with matching cu amp (copper which is much warmer than their normal cases)
    Rhapsodio 2.98 mk2 gold plated silver cable for Phantom

Post Thanks / Like

The 160M IMO, looks French and not bold American ARC.

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

May issue....
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

5. Thanks Ritmo thanked for this post
    Likes Ritmo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How "bold" do you want the 160M to be? Want a pair of Colt 6 six guns hanging off the sides? What have you got against the French?

Post Thanks / Like

I need to get this issue. I got to hear the 160M with two different systems and was absolutely blown away. I know there are many other top brands of amps out there, but it's hard to think others are better. Different sure, but amazing amps.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20
    Ayre QX5/20 (The Memory Player with built in DAC and headphone amp built in on order)
    Steve Nugent rebuilt Mac mini (2009) with Paul Hynes LPS and custom silver cable server
    AQ Niagara 1000 power device
    Audioquest Castlerock speaker cables
    Wire world optical cable into the Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh from the TV and Blueray to reclock
    Wireworld Platnium 8 ethernet cables into the EMO 70e ethernet filter into the QX5/20 from Eero mesh router
    All routers, cable box and synchro mesh powered by the Wyred4sound LPS box with separate supplies for each
    Audioquest power outlets and two dedicated power lines in the room
    ZMF Ori headphones with the Audioarts 15' Pono balanced cable for the QX5/20
    Empire Ears Phantom CIEM's
    A&K 380cu with matching cu amp (copper which is much warmer than their normal cases)
    Rhapsodio 2.98 mk2 gold plated silver cable for Phantom

8. Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skytop View Post
    How "bold" do you want the 160M to be? Want a pair of Colt 6 six guns hanging off the sides? What have you got against the French?
    I like the way you think!
    —Bob V.

My system: Benz LPS, AMG v12 turntable, Einstein Turntables' Choice phono-pre (dual mono version), dCS Rossini, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research REF 160M, Wilson Alexia speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal cables, Shunyata Zitron Sigma, AlphaNR, Python, Anaconda power cables. Shunyata Hydra Triton v3, Denali 2000t, Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20