Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Pairing a Benz Gullwing SLR with the AMG V12

This is however not reminiscence of German automobile craftsmanship from Zuffenhausen, as one might suspect. It’s a new cart for the Viella.

This cart does fit my choice of TT which has been around for a while, as it is Lukaschek’s masterpiece and has also been on the market for several years already. What I like about it is that it’s getting harder to come by, especially outside Europe. And it is still great.

Despite being launched several years ago, it received yet another TAS Editors’ Choice Award in 2017, has been listed as reference cart at many publications and is still top ranked. It was also used by Zesto Audio for the launch of their new Alasso Andros Step-up transformer at RMAF 2017 and will be used at Axpona 2018.

This is also a particular fact I do enjoy about vinyl: longevity. While there is every other day a new DAC-du-jour, this is not the case with vinyl. Technology has already matured for a couple more decades. Fits with my vinyl preference for 50’s-60’s Jazz.

Reason why this is a great cart to go with the V12 is that the 22 lbs high mass platter provides steadiness, a solid foundation and great bass, allowing to maximize the music with the Gullwing’s detail retrieval capability. Paired with a warmish and detailed phono cable this is a superb combination IMHO.

Like the Gullwing logo on the cart. And btw, the sound is superb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Re: Pairing a Benz Gullwing SLR with the AMG V12

A little Feikert treatment will do wonders for the sound.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

How does it sound? In one word: incredible.

Of course it will need approximately 40 hours of burn-in, but the detail retrieval capability is just mesmerizing. The old saying proves true again, hearing things I did not hear before.

On a jazz box guitar you cannot only hear that steel strings are played, but also whether they are round-wound or flat-wound and whether the guitarist is playing light or heavy gauge. Bass is not just bass, it’s the strings, the grip, the sliding and vibration against the neck. Brass in drums is not just cymbals, it’s a thousand shades of shimmering with a variety of strokes, brushes etc.

I will try a couple of different loads, currently running it at 500 Ohms due to its relatively low output voltage of 0.35mV.

very nice! sounds like a spectacular cartridge -- good to know your experience here.

btw: if your nyquist is feeling neglected, i might be able to find a caring home that is willing to adopt it. ;-)
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | almarro a318b + air tight atc-5 (phono) | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Thank you so much, I’ll let you know in case the Nyquist feels neglected Pairing a Benz Gullwing SLR with the AMG V12.

But yes, the Gullwing is truly spectacular. It has a standing to keep up with, and so far it does its reputation justice. Let’s see how it runs in.

Congrats on a superb 'Swiss Choice' ! another Benz-Micro fan here as well !
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    Congrats on a superb 'Swiss Choice' ! another Benz-Micro fan here as well !
    Thanks Dave, Swiss choice indeed Pairing a Benz Gullwing SLR with the AMG V12.

Nice to have fellow Benz fans on the forum. I am looking forward to see how it develops during burn-in. I guess it will become a bit smoother but will hopefully not lose any of its detail retrieval capabilities.

Just had this Axpona update in my inbox from Zesto Audio:

We are proud to exhibit with our wonderful industry partners:
    Marten Django L speakers, Fono Acustica cables, Merrill-Williams turntable, Stillpoint rack, Tri-Planar Tonearms, Benz Micro Gullwing MC cartridge and Ortofon Cadenza Mono cartridge.

So, Zesto continues to demo with the Gullwing in 2018 as well.

I have the Benz Micro Glider SL but tore off the stylus and have not sent it in to get rebuilt but loved that cartridge. The Gullwing is it’s dearer brother so I am sure it sounds great.
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    I have the Benz Micro Glider SL but tore off the stylus and have not sent it in to get rebuilt but loved that cartridge. The Gullwing is it’s dearer brother so I am sure it sounds great.
    I think the Gullwing will be a very good cart for me, offering great detail with a very nice overall balance. Sorry to hear you broke your Micro Glider SL.

Since the cart arrived I have been listening to a number of records and every now and then going ‘ah, that’s what they’re playing’. Great synergy with the overall system.

Just finished this, a great joy to listen to the interplay of guitar and piano of the superb Mo-Fi re-issue:

Basic specs: Benz-Micro Gullwing SLR
    - Output voltage: 0.35mV
    - Recommended tracking force: 1.8–2.0 grams
    - Weight: 7.8g

Running it at 1000 Ohms now, which would have been way too much for the Cadenza, but works great with the Gullwing. And at 2.0 grams tracking force.

Another nice thing is, the Gullwing is very quiet. Just music no other noises at all.

It has been quite popular with TAS reviewers:

Kuoppis...great cart and enjoy it in good health Pairing a Benz Gullwing SLR with the AMG V12
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Thanks Cyril, I hope you’ll get your Benz repaired some day.

The Gullwing has opened up a new vinyl dimension for me. One that I thought was possible with my system, but which I had yet to reach.

As a record this is pretty much lounge music from the piano bar. Wesseltoft is playing more serious tunes along with popular songs adapted for solo piano.

But when the record finished, I was just about to order another two fingers. The sound from the analog rig was so real, I could have sworn there is a grand piano in front of me in the room. The sound, timbre and dimensionality, along with the keyboard touch, dynamics and corpus reverb. So real.

Quite amazing.

There’s this funny story about Lukaschek.

It is being told (and there is a press article about it in German as well), that over the years Lukaschek has always tested all Benz Micro carts himself before they are released for sales.

While that is not a bad thing as such, as the story goes, he has always used only one album to test them: Going Home. Therefore he has listened an estimated 50.000 times to this album. Must be a good one, I guess.

As I found this story so funny, I also ordered the vinyl to test my Gullwing with it.

Congrats, now you have an AMG Benz! Just not the road driving kind! LoL

What is that instrument from Feikert for? I am a vinyl novice.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    There’s this funny story about Lukaschek.

It is being told (and there is a press article about it in German as well), that over the years Lukaschek has always tested all Benz Micro carts himself before they are released for sales.

While that is not a bad thing as such, as the story goes, he has always used only one album to test them: Going Home. Therefore he has listened an estimated 50.000 times to this album. Must be a good one, I guess.

As I found this story so funny, I also ordered the vinyl to test my Gullwing with it.

That is an exceptionally well recorded direct to disc album with great dynamics, perfect to use as a testing reference!

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Congrats, now you have an AMG Benz! Just not the road driving kind! LoL

What is that instrument from Feikert for? I am a vinyl novice.
    Hi Norman, the Feikert Protractor is a high quality tool for cartridge setup.

In order to get the best sound from your vinyl system, setup accuracy is pretty crucial. There are a number of things to watch like exact alignment of the cart with the record surface relative to tonearm length, tonearm horizontal angle, cart VTA (vertical angle) and tracking force, anti-skating etc.

As the cart makes an arc when traveling over the record surface when you play it, angle to the vinyl groove will be different between start, middle and end of the record. The Feikert Protractor helps to adjust and optimize this very accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    That is an exceptionally well recorded direct to disc album with great dynamics, perfect to use as a testing reference!
    That’s good to hear, I’m looking forward to listen to it in my setup.

I am not surprised though, Lukaschek definitely knows what he is doing Pairing a Benz Gullwing SLR with the AMG V12. The Gullwing is absolutely superb.

This is part of the Benz purchase, finally arrived: the Lukaschek test recording.

As Bill indicated, superb recording quality, great dynamics and of course great play.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team